Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What VPN

Options
  • 03-08-2023 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi all,

Im looking to get a VPN but I’ve a couple of questions:

What is the best value VPN

How does a VPN work on a smart tbh with Netflix etc (if you want Turkish Netflix for example)

I work from home as does my wife- would there be any issues from a work privacy pov by using a VPN- or can ya just turn it off when you’re working from home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I spent about 15 quid on 'VPN unlimited' 6-7 years ago and it's still working to this day. Just an app and you select the country you want and away it goes.

With Turkish netflix, all you have to do is set the VPN to Turkey once on your laptop, sign up for netflix with your credit card and that's it, dont need to use the VPN again. It'll forever charge you in Turkish lira.

I also did the same with youtube to get youtube premium for something crazy cheap like 1 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Personally I would just grab a cheap VPS (Virtual Private Server) and install strongSwan onto it. I don't fully trust the off-the-shelf options such as NordVPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ok so if I wanna watch Turkish Netflix on my smart TV how does that work with the VPN.

I’m getting kinda confused because I want the VPN on my VM modem so all the things that use the internet in my house will be covered by VPN.

Is that possible?

• VPNs can normally be turned on and off easily.

I use the free ProtonVPN specified here. HQ Geneva.

• Advertisement

So is the VPN installed and sitting on the VM router is it?

So it then covers the iPads, phones, smart tvs etc?

Or do I have to download a VPN app on each device?

Master of the Universe

You download the VPN to your laptop, you switch it to Turkey, you go to Netflix - it will default to Turkey, you set up a payment method and then get billed 100 Turkish Lira for Netflix premium every month. That's it.

Regarding your TV, you just log on with your account as you normally would and watch Irish Netflix using your account. You don't need a VPN at that stage.

Basically you're not trying to get 'Turkish Netflix' per se, your trying to get your account billed in Turkish Lira at the Turkish price, which is what you do once with the VPN.

Once that's done you'll just be watching Irish netflix on your TV as your IP address on your TV will be from Ireland. But you'll be paying a far cheaper price.

Also how do I download a VPN onto a firestick?

When I use the in built browser it directs me to the google play store to download the VPN I tried to download (tunnelbear) but it says google play app not recognised?

Ah I see.

thanks o1s1n I’m gonna give this a go tomorrow.

• Advertisement

As an aside is all this something that Netflix et al are trying to crack down on?

Definately more complex, but I find that these roll-your-own VPNs have a much better life expectency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

Trying to set up Netflix Turkey but it's looking for a Turkish phone number to send a confirmation text to finish setting up the account.

Any way around this?

CPL 593H

Not tried them myself but a quick Google bought up the likes of TextMagic which allows setting up a virtual mobile number overseas.

Master of the Universe

Best of luck! I tend to find they won't allow debit credit cards but standard credit cards will do.

If you don't have one, another trick is to set your VPN to turkey, log on to cdkeys.com, buy a 100 lira netflix card and then log into your netflix account and top it up.

You could even buy a bigger netflix card on cdkeys and get your credit loaded on for months.

I've been doing it for years and years now and it's still working perfectly. In fact not only do I get Netflix premium for about a fiver a month, I share the account with a friend in the Netherlands, my parents and the in laws in South Africa! All can log on 100% fine. It's mad really.

Have you already got an Irish netflix account? Just use that one.

Switch your VPN to Turkey, log into netflix and change the payment method. should let you subscribe in Lira instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭beachhead

Useful new VPN names as my cheap NortonVPN expires very soon.e7.99 courtesy of Lidl-never to be repeated.

@o1s1n

No luck I'm afraid.

Tried changing the payment method as you suggested above, but the pricing was in euro (Irish prices)

Tried cdkeys but the payment wouldn't go through as it was an Irish card, no option to use paypal.

CPL 593H

Master of the Universe

Hmm, have you tried going to CDKeys with your VPN set to Turkey, put the 100 Lira gift card in your basket, then disconnect the VPN so it's back to Ireland - the Turkish gift card should still be in your basket and you should be able to use your Irish card then to buy it.

Edit - actually I don't think you even need a VPN to see the Turkish gift cards

https://www.cdkeys.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=netfli%20giftcard

@o1s1n

Success!

Bought a Netflix Turkey gift card on cdkeys without using vpn and then activated the Netflix a/c using the gift card as payment

I tried adding my credit/debit/revolut cards as a back up payment method but they keep getting rejected

I'll just buy another gift card to cover a 12 month sub and go from there

Thanks for the help/advice, much appreciated!

CPL 593H

@o1s1n

I've been doing it for years and years now and it's still working perfectly. In fact not only do I get Netflix premium for about a fiver a month, I share the account with a friend in the Netherlands, my parents and the in laws in South Africa! All can log on 100% fine. It's mad really.

All I an say is enjoy it while it lasts 😁

• Advertisement

Apologies to the OP, looks like I went down a bit of a rabbit hole last night and hijacked the thread.

I'm using NordVPN, usually some deal going where you can sign up for 12/24 months at a reduced rate.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭Shoog

You need special routers to put whole house VPN onto. Otherwise you have to put the software/app onto each individual devise.

Geospoofing is hit and miss since services such as BBC keep a database of VPN gateways and block them. You can get dedicated remote IP addresses in the country you are trying to get services from and this works more reliably. Dedicated IP costs more and can be a bit fiddly to use.

I used IPVanish for years but switched to Private Internet Access for its dedicated IP so that I could access BBC catch up TV. Cost was about €40 per anum on a three year contract.

You take a speed hit with paid vpns so if you are on a marginal broadband service it will be even worse.

Free vpns are earning from your usage in some way so you have to ask yourself how and what that means for your privacy.

No this is gold tbh. I haven’t got around to trying it but I’ll be using the method you’ve done. Thanks to everyone for the advice!!

Just reading this again- do you take a speed hit with private internet access for a dedicated IP address?

Have you any privacy issues or worries?

Can you set your IP address to any country or is it one dedicated country?

For example I want BBC player but I also want cheaper tidal, Netflix YouTube etc, so was thinking of going with a Turkish IP? Will this still give me access to BBC player and channel 4 player?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

If you go to IPVanish and get on the live chat they will give you an offer of $32 for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I set up my VPN on the router - some Fritz!Box routers have the facility for doing so. BTW it also allows a Wireguard VPN setup and is very simple to do.

Unfortunately the VPN interferes with the SIP telephony use. 😫 The only solution I found to date is to have two routers in series with the outer one handling telephony and the inner one with VPN.

If anyone has solved this issue by other means I would love to know, thanks.

I use ProtonVPN - some good deals this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭Shoog

You take a speed hit using any VPN service since it adds extra jumps to the traffic and encryption/decryption overheads.

You buy an IP address in a specific country. Using the dedicated British unique IP address which private internet access offers allows me to access the BBC iPlayer on my laptops running the access app, but it's proven impossible to setup on.my Kodi boxes so it won't allow me to access BBC iPlayer on my TVs.

I have had no issues with privacy. The only issues I hit was with vodaphone fibre because they overide all DNS lookups which just messes up the network and crashes the router.

Advertisement