Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Packrat

No, but it's been around for a very long time and any investigations by independent bodies have found no verified positive or negative effects.

Googling can find quite a bit of info on it and on its origins and proponents.

I wasnt attacking yourself in any way.

I find your contributions here and in other threads very interesting and I've no doubt some of them work well for you.

I also agree completely with your last sentence, and that's not what I'm about at all.

I don't however have time to test every single claim of a system which has been dismissed as quackery by those who did so i take their results at face value. Molecular structure of soil and plant biology is as far as I'm aware pretty well understood.

The very fact that it's proponent got angry when questioned wasn't a good look, and leads me to believe that it's more a religion than a science.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

He probably hadn't the time to explain it properly.

I attended a full 2 day course on bioD and it only barely brushed on what it was. Being on the farm of a practitioner helped my farmer sense see what they could see and what benefits or changes it brought from when they started.

It can't really be brushed off though. Even from a marketing perspective it's there now and founded. It's an advantage if you have biodynamic on the label of what you're selling. If you're organic already it's a no brainer to maybe go for certification. But that depends too if can get value from being so. But even myself I know I will be picking aspects of it for the farm here. And I'm non organic nor fully bioD.

But for organic it will/should increase carbon sequestration in soil and if you've crops bring evenness in ripening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I’ve met the lad from S Africa. Based in Leitrim I think? Didn’t come across as preachy to me anyway.

As to biodynamics I have to admit the jury is still out, but like SMN there are aspects of it that make sense to me. Like planting crops during certain phases of the moon for example. Water is affected by the moon’s gravity, just look at high tides. Its not impossible that maybe water reaches seeds quicker and they germinate faster during certain moon phases is it?

Now I have to admit I don’t get the logic behind burying horns etc. but the lads across the road here are into it and all I really know about them is that they grow a fantastic crop of ragwort every year.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I saw my own father only squeezing calves when the moon was in a certain phase, and same with his veg garden. He also spoke of other such practices that the older generation before him used. He never pushed any of them on me so I never got into them and often was sorry to have lost the information. Imagine if it went full circle and became common knowledge again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As a child I remember my Granny and latterly my Mam getting fierce excited when they had broody hens sitting on fertile eggs and there was thunder and lightening. Other ones I remember was throwing a few fist fulls of oats on the ground, when milking cows squirting a few strigs onto the ground and if you let salt fall throwing some over your left shoulder - there are lots of others that I can't recall but hopefully other F&F's may.

Most of them were piseogs but I suppose the majority of those beliefs are well forgotten now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The burying the horns to me is take what that Reich fella said. Energy is stored in organic matter.

Now Reich, Steiner, Einstein and the whole thoughts coming from space and nuclear physics was all around the same time in history and mostly same part of Europe.

The energy Reich would be talking about would be cosmic rays from space and solar particles from the sun. Steiner was on the same page.

The horn burying with the manure and silica or silica on it's own is to take advantage of the Solar particles or Cosmic rays depending on time of year. The rays or particles hit the ground, through the soil get bounced around in the horn and some part is adsorbed by the manure and silica in the horn before moving on through. Now this was made up at a time before we knew silicon chips or quartz batteries could store information or power. Burying them in the ground protects them from uv rays which deletes that information or kills the bacteria which there undoubtedly is involved in this. So however whether psychedelics or plain luck Steiner does seem to have hit on something. The timing of day to apply is also crucial. In the morning or evening. There's your uv rays killing biology. And this is from the 1920's.

And there's people nowadays going out with biological products in full sun in 2023 and putting it up on social media and thinking they're great people.

And back one hundred years ago.🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

The fraudulent E flow texts are out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Someone reporting to be from "Revolut" are on the phones too trying to scam.

I'm sure ye all know by now but just in case - never click on links in messages or give any personal details on calls

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I got 4 calls supposedly from amazon on Tuesday. All different numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/261088/2570f014-3920-4768-924a-e96fde6de4ef.pdf#page=null

Farm Safety Measure announced.

60% grant available on up to 4 pto shaft covers and 2 quad helmets.

A worthwhile measure and my advice would be that every farmer should pick up a few pto covers that suit your machinery.

Only available until end of September

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Absolutely, just got the text from DAFM and submitted expression of interest on Agfood. Was just about to replace 2 covers anyway but may have a look at other machines now too. I'm sure I could find 4 worn ones if I'm honest, but could probably salvage some spare parts from them too, to make sure all covers are in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’ve 2 I think due to be replaced but I’ll be buying 4 anyway and keep 2 as spares. They’ll be needed at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Can you get the quad helmet without having a quad? Sell on then on Donedeal. Reminds me of the bike scheme a few years back.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Me & you think a like patsy. Them oul quads should be banned anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Has the price of PTO covers and helmets doubled yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

All of my PTO covers are in PWO. Don't see the point of quad helmets. I have a few motorbike helmets in the shed that I don't use. Mad how easy it is to manipulate people with a bit of a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Number is more than likely (or definitely) spoofed.

Not your ornery onager

Shocking... Imagine the nerve encouraging people to protect themselves.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

One of my tenants is rumored to have bought another 50 acres during the week.

They have just finished a 200+ cow shed so dairy farmers aren't broke yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What's the going rate for sheds these days?

People shouldn't need encouragement to protect themselves. I had a serious motorcycle accident before and a helmet didn't save me. Maybe a quad helmet would give some people a false sense of security to take more risks.

The biggest risk I see with our quad is getting your head sliced off with a wire across a roadway or getting overturned. Helmet ain't gonna help then. Just my opinion like.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

would you not get a gator? I'd be afraid of quad myself as there are so many accidents.

If you didn't get caught maybe? but you need a quad and to keep the helmet 3 years and be subject to inspection for that time. Even if you apply for one and loose/damage it in the three years you are required to replace it with one of a similar standard.

The bike scheme wasn't free bikes, it was tax free bikes with the cost taken out of wages, doubt there was much to be made by getting one and selling it secondhand since anyone could apply.

Na, quad is superior job for me apart from wet days. Just myself and the young lads drive it here. Tip away handy around the farm is all. I always think your as well off with a small old tractor or jeep if your getting a gator.

Nobody is being forced to purchase the items, but I'm sure a helmet could prevent many head injuries but obviously doesn't make anyone indestructible. You are of course entitled to your opinion but I can't see the being manipulated part and think a 60% grant for safety equipment is only a good thing. I'll definitly be going for some PTO covers myself, already had some in mind to change so it is great timing for me. I always have covers on all shafts and they even recently were passed by a HSA inspector although she didn't look too closely as some have worn bearings and some minor damage that prevents them sliding freely.

Ya, no harm at all in it. I just wouldn't be rushing out buying stuff I don't need on the back of it. Lucky here, all my machinery are newish and in good condition just because I'm only farming on my own for a few years.

Sure the helmet would be a good habit for to get my young lads into I suppose but speed is the big one that isn't allowed here. There is often 4 of us and a dog up on our quad. 🤦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Bike scheme still going only picked up a bike on it last weekend great scheme altogether.

Better living everyone

Advertisement