Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Oh really? Don't listen to it, listened a bit to Callan one morning and was like whats with all the crap accent impersonations

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well in any normal company thats what would normally happen but holidays come first

The rot is well and truly infested in RTE, nothing short of a new management team is needed, root and branch clear out, unions go F... themselves, anyone not working full time gone, all contractors ended, multiple job redundancies (feck me 1800 people working there - plenty of room for ending of jobs) - the list goes on.

Then back to making Irish programmes people want to watch, actual investigative journalism that is not living off the backs of other journalists (Prime Time Investigates my arse)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

It strongly points to what they’re going to do.

Let’s not make any hasty decisions. The public are normally dumb and apathetic so if we don’t do anything for a couple of months then it’ll be all forgotten.

Then the money party can resume and RT can come back and take his share.

It’s incredible the disdain those publicly funded organisations have for the public that fund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Likely the new funding model will involve an end to advertising on RTE so it can, in theory, focus on 'public service' programming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If that's the case it should be cut down to the bone, single channel, single radio channel, no competing for ratings with other channels, majority Irish content and cheap syndicated shows.

Otherwise it is in big trouble , financially if it does not and RT stays

It won't be because the government and all established political parties have RTE's back and won't allow them get into serious financial difficulty. They can and will take whatever control licence fee payers currently have over RTE out of their hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The problem would be whether RTE would be financially viable without advertising. It would probably have to cut the salaries of its "talent" and management.

Regards...jmcc

The concept of financial viability won't apply in this brave new world. The government will give RTE whatever money it needs, or says it needs, to 'do the job'...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If SF got in power, I wonder would they give RTE a set budget to play with that won't be increased?

RTE have to learn to live within their means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Clay Shaw

To further my thesis of re-installation of said RTE software:

Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

Before he did that the director of operations quit in NASA.

His name was James Webb.

He quit days before the launch. Why did Webb quit?

Tonight there is a James Webb satellite 1,000,000,00 km in orbit of earth looking into very deep space.

Location is called L2 I believe.

Whatever it takes protect the institution.

Not the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

If I was Kevin bracherst I wouldn't be spending money on problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

We can only dream, but if it got anywhere near that I would consider welcoming Tubs back in a different slot on a ¼ of his wages with open arms. If those 1800 staff were all on minimum wage it would cost almost 42million a year. I have not even attempted to work out what the salaries per year are setting us back, and we already know the top 110 after the Seanad meetings. I have some beliefs with nothing to back them, that the numbers employed there are inflated due to connections and nepotism. Somebody's daughter or nephew wants a job and there is no room? Position created and filled.

As for Bakhurst.

He is barely [back] in there a month and arrived in the middle of a shⅰtstorm. With the money he is on taken into account, abstaining from going anywhere may have been a better idea. It truly shows how little regard or awareness he has for the current public perception of RTE, and makes it very hard for me to understand why he was hired. Public perception for that position in such a company should be very high up on any scale of common sense, particularly at the moment. The first thing he did walking into that position was to give all of the main offenders of the overspending a get out of jail free card by asking or forcing them to resign. He then went on to say [while fumbling around] that he was to announce a decision on Tubs future by the end of July. He has still not said anything and we are now almost a week into August. I did not know he was also away on holidays. This guy is either weak as f*k or he is as bad as the rest of them.

I think the only way SF would get into power realistically is with FF. I can only see SF moving the pieces around the board. Maybe removing whatever positions FG have appointed over the last 12 years and some of the FF. At the end of the day they are all politicians, if SF get into power it would be in their interest to use that power the first time to win over more, which could mean RTE could be reigned in and much of the rot removed. But I will wait until I see anything from any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Surely Renault ireland, or their parent company, are livid that their brand has been associated with such tawdry carryon...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Iecrawfc

If that was the case a broadcasting charge along the lines of the license fee would be more palatable but you know the golden circle(including the gov) would more interested in getting guaranteed funding to divvy up among themselves and include commercial revenues in the trough, it's how state entities in this country works...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Kevin Bakhurst on holiday. Grant Thornton report(s) in a bureaucratic Bermuda Triangle. TV Licence revenue tanking. What a mess of biblical proportion

The notion that a replacement funding system could be put in place quickly is, in itself, totally vacuous. There would be months of (more!) reports, political umming and ahhing, wibbling and wobbling. A general election is on the horizon. The current plan seems to be to play wait and see, kick the can down the road, people will forget and move on, and then we can go back to where we were.

RTÉ has been run along banana republic lines. The Board and Management (loftily calling themselves the Executive Board) have been Missing In Action, and the commercial/marketing department is out of control in terms of entertainment of clients, goodies, trips, chauffeurs, busses, restaurants, brand ambassadors etc. An opportunity to completely transform RTE exists, and should be taken.

But I doubt it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

If this format of financing RTE comes in, it means that it won't matter what audience figures their presenters secure. RTE would be getting the same funding, no matter what. This would give them the opportunity to get rid of overpaid egos like Tubridy, Duffy and D'Arcy. I don’t think that this format will come in, RTE will still want advertising revenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

"Leave my friends alone, yous are all just jealous ungrateful dopes, we work hard for 6 figures on our 2h show on a station losing millions" sums it up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Indeed. It's highly unlikely it will be optional however the poster is correct. If there is mass opposition to whatever this is, be it in its current format or otherwise it is dead. We've seen with other similar laws (water charges) what can happen and we all know that if the covid restrictions didn't have mass public support they were totally unenforceable.

If there is an opt in licence fee you can bet you last penny RTE is finished. Having paid a licence fee for years I know I am done if the current situation is maintained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And I don't think this is implausible. I amnt talking about minimum wages but fair salaries for staff and presenters but cut down to one channel and one radio station. No commercial income, just ran off a broadcasting fee that would cover predominantly Irish content paid for by the licencing fee made by RTE and Irish production houses.

The fee, I believe, should come from general taxation - the benefit to other broadcasters is not competing with RTE for commercial revenue, the ability to sell content to them and potentially so additional ones that I haven't thought of yet.

So what if the talent isn't known? Let RTE be the launchpad for younger talent or people without 'connections' and if they get a better offer in time at a commercial station, so what? If the entity is not reliant on that talent bringing in and keeping advertisers it isn't a big deal.

Now it might require a split of the 'infrastructure' to a seperate entity, similar to our electrical and what should have happened with our telecoms infra and this funded separately but I amnt familiar with the situation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Will we ever get the terminology right? Eg the executive board, the board, the executive committee, etc. to my mind the Board of Directors have the overall responsibility of company direction, setting overall strategy and policy and hands these down to the executive committee which may split the various tasks to other committees ti implement specific tasks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Tone deaf bleatings from the “stars”….that “dire” production she was involved inn”Brigid & Eamon” ..lve seen better productions in the local national school Christmas concerts. The only difference being we weren’t paying for those through our licence fees

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tell it to me arse

You’d swear Tubridy is a victim here. The guy dished out vile attacks when in a position of power against political opponents as though he was a king.

He misused his position for political capital and self aggrandisement. The level of perceived victimhood here is a simple tactic of self preservation.

He also lied to the public and demanded his pay not be cut whilst telling us he was taking one. It’s the hubris that sticks in the gall.

Doireann is another case. With her, people rightly raised the question of whether there was conflicts of interest between her commercial dealings and position as a celebrity.

Was she using her position in RTE to advertise and build up her family business. All legitimate “attacks” which are in fact questions that need to be asked.

The claim if victimhood and casting the public as some Trumpian, conspiracy following, far right monster needs to stop.

They did wrong and need to be held to account for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

He did, but that doesn’t mean the criticism of Garrihy, Tubs or anyone else involved was not appropriate. It was.

By giving Marty a pass Bakhurst undermined his credibility re. tackling corruption and conflicts of interest etc. I said it at the time, you can’t criticize Tubridy and give Morrissey a pass. It’s not as bad as what Tubridy did, but ultimately it’s the same type of dodgy dealing. You can’t decide your moral or ethical compass based on personality - just because people like Marty doesn’t mean he should have gotten a pass. And likewise, just because certain cohorts like Tubridy doesn’t mean he should get a pass. Both parties acted “inappropriately”.

Bakhurst undermined his credibility further by taking holidays a wet week into the job with the organization in the middle of the biggest crisis in its history. That simply would not happen in the private sector at CEO level. He should have cancelled them for optics alone to show he was serious in tackling the issue.

Then he gave the end of July as a timeline for a decision on Tubs. That’s now been missed. Again undermining himself.

Bakhurst talked tough in a few interviews the week of his appointment, we’ve seen very little action.

Finally on Morrisey, there’s lots of questions that remain on that re. Tax etc., but also his claim that he never submitted mileage for his work. Considering the mileage he does someone in finance should have been asking questions about reimbursing him for same as there would be many “mobile” reporters and correspondents doing so, or are we supposed to believe Marty was paying hundreds per week in fuel costs because he loves the GAA so much? There’s a can of worms there I suspect he and RTÉ don’t want opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It always amuses me when people complain about Callan doing accents and impersonations on the show.

Regular listeners to Tubridy’s show can attest to the fact that Tubridy fancies himself as an impressionist too and the show is often interrupted by Tubridy doing his “1920s English gentleman at a tea party” accent, or many of his (awful) American “impressions”, incl. Trump, JFK, “Jimmy” Stewart etc. And trust me, if you think Callan’s are bad, you certainly won’t want to hear the assault on your ears that are Tubs’ efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭creedp

Same here. Always paid it and accepted a small proportion didn't but, as someone who pays tax on every cent I earn, I'm certainly not going to pay what is now rapidly becoming an optional tax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Your problem is with the other broadcasters when you implement this : -

1. We only have one Commercial TV broadcaster who has insisted on doing the bare minimum
    2. The regulator (CnaM/BAI) has always been weak so the likelihood of them insisting that VMTV improve their offering so that they might re-sell programming to RTÉ is unlikely.
    3. VMTV's advertising revenue would not increase because all the UK opt-outs would begin advertising here and take up all of the revenue that RTÉ was selling
    4. The CnaM would also have to start insisting on better programming from our Radio Broadcasters, is a 2 hours of phone in / chat show really current affairs and should local radio not have a stronger newsroom, along with other programming that they currently don't provide. If RTÉ were to stop selling ads on Radio they and the nationals would be the big winners.

In conclusion Irish Broadcasting has always been do as little as possible because we are a "small" country!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Spot on.

Was part of a conversation irl a few weeks back where there was an element of 'ach sure poor ould Marty' but others including myself said nope.

I said from the beginning (I hope I am wrong) I don't believe Bakhurst will get rid of Tubridy, unfortunately. RTE needs someone more ruthless at the top, and definitely not someone who sails off on holidays with the organisation in chaos, and something so big unresolved.

Didn't he also say he would be having several meetings with Tubridy. Why? 🙄 I also read somewhere that Tubridy wanted to know by the end of July or something. He still doesn't get the fact that he can't - or at least should not be able to - call the shots anymore.

Something else Bakhurst should consider - Tubridy is desperate to hold onto his job. Desperate. That was obvious on the day he appeared before the committees - despite the ham acting, the desperation was there. The RTE bubble is all he has known since he was a child.

And yet RTE paid him an astronomical salary all those years to retain him.

Could it... could it possibly be that ... er, nowhere else wants him?! 🙄 Or any of the rest of the 'talent' either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement