Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Ireland is an island in the North Atlantic with a heavily globalized economy and population. Aviation is our only practical connection to the rest of the world.

13.8% of the population of Ireland wasn't born in Ireland. How do you propose they, and their kids or partners, visit their home countries and relatives without air travel? There are around 1 million people who were born in Ireland living abroad currently, how do you propose they visit home without air travel?

260,000 Irish people were employed in the tourism industry last year, and 40,000 in the aviation industry. How do you propose they keep their jobs with no inbound air travel?

Ireland received €110bn in FDI last year. How do you propose those foreign investors visit Ireland to invest without air travel? We have 1,500 multinational companies based here, who pay vast sums of tax and employ hundreds of thousands of people, how do you propose we keep them here with no air travel for their staff?

Aviation accounts for 2% of Ireland's co2 emissions currently. We could halve that, destroying families and our economy, and our overall emissions as a country would go down by all of 1%.

There are far higher polluting parts of the state that need to be addressed, that will cost us less and have a far bigger impact. We could literally double our current number of flights into and out of the country and completely counterbalance that by electrifying 20% of the cars on our roads if we wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sailing

Aren’t we in the midst of a climate emergency??

Should we all not be trying to cut back on air travel to stop the planet burning like agriculture, cars etc instead of encouraging more??

No. We are an island nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭brianiac

i wasnt aware of their use of the 16/34 during grass cutting, thanks for the information. i used see them alright before the redevelopment, thought it bizarre at times due to lack of significant northerly winds. Know one family that was driven demented by it but it only sporadically happened so they never complained about it or so they said...

i should have been more explicit - it is not insulated for sound purposes or by the daa as part of their planning/noise abatement plan. It has triple glaze windows throughout, 100mm internal wall insulation on block with cavity throughout except for ceiling which has a 280mm metac roll insulation with additional 30mm foil backed kingspan on roof. It also has MVHR systym so no holes in walls for noise to pass in.

Ultimately it is how they operate westerly departures from the north runway that affects me personally. As part of planning, the daa submitted environmental assessments of the impact of the north runway, which includes noise mapping. under the original planning application they described flying category c+d planes (ie any jet engine, not propellor planes) directly out for up to 5 nautical miles until they had reached a height of 3000ft above sea level before diverging north. they drew pretty maps which showed the modelled routes for these planes over north dublin.

these do not correspond with the actual flight paths that the daa are operating. flight are deviating at 650ft above sea level and flying over areas that the daa never stated they would be flying. Local people were refused planning permission as they were originally meant to be on the flight paths detailed in these plans. Others (like ourselves) have been granted PP despite finding ourselves now on these flight paths. we are not idiots. we knew it would be louder. I cycled myself out to an area close to the south runway approximating where my (now) homes distance is from the north runway. I looked at these maps. We discussed it with our architect. they looked at the noise contour maps. We paid for extra 'noise insulating' triple glaze to be installed in the southern side of the house as it faced the runway and the flight paths approx 2km in the distance. The adjusted the flight paths in february 23 which avoided the 75degree deviation towards kilsallaghan. No diference to me, still flying over my house. If the daa had stated what they were actually going to do there is no way we would have rebuilt. You might say 'tough, you built near an airport'. I would say, why bother with planning if you are going to ignore it when it is inconvenient? We live in a democracy. Planning is there for a reason. we have had professional noise report done, showing LAeq dB

(LAeq,9hour 09:00- 18:00) of 65 when we were in a 55 zone. The same report had peaks of 92-93db. we are in the countour zone of 50-55db. of course we are not happy.

You mention a 30degree deviation. the daa draws up its flight paths (for review and approval by Airnav ireland (formerly Irish aviation authority)) based upon international guidance i believe by the international civil aviation organisation. The daa have discussed using both the north and south runways in what they describe as simultaneous modes vs segregated modes. an old version of the regulations was published in 2004 prior to the daa's pp in 2007 (https://www.icao.int/Meetings/AMC/MA/Eleventh%20Air%20Navigation%20Conference%20%28ANConf11%29/anconf11_ip003_app_en.pdf) and was updated in 2018. i am lead to believe that there is no major update on the guidance in the intervening period. I suppose what is clear however is how the daa have been using the runway since opening. When the planes depart westerly they have deviated northward in excess of what they described in their pp. However when departing easterly they continue in the manner as described in their planning - ie straight out without significant deviation. Surely if there have been safety regulation changes requiring a larger divergence between the two runways then that should also occur whether or not the wind comes from the west or east.

the daa appealed the restriction on night time flights to fingal coco under a 'relevant action' which went through in 2022. This relevant action was subsequently appealed back to an bord pleanalla in august 2022 - and is still awaiting a hearing. Until that hearing is undertaken, the relevant action is not in place and the original PP stands. If the daa are saying that their PP was inadequate to facilitate the building an operation of a north runway profitably then they should have not built it until they had sorted their planning. they went ahead anyway and built it. Note however that this 'relevant action' makes no attempt to change flight paths and it was granted with the stipulation of the daa having to adhere to the environmental assessments and plans attached to the original planning including the environmental noise corridors that were described.

in realtion to insulation etc, their PP stipulated that all homes within the certain noise contours required insulation prior to useage of the runway. that clearly hasnt happened.

finally: https://youtu.be/xZnsPSTuEL8?t=730 . youtube webinar from jan 2023 involveing a ceo of Liege airport Laurent Jossart who states Liege ariport (with a turnover of 100million/annum) spent 450million on buying and insulating 6500 homes around the airport. If the national interest is such that a few dozen people need to move and a hundred more houses need proper insulation to allow full airport functioning then do it. But dont pretend its not an issue and hope it goes away.

Its the 21st century. As per the WHO (https://www.who.int/europe/publications/i/item/WHO-EURO-2018-3287-43046-60243), noise - particularly at nighttime - has a significant and real impact on health, both cardiovascular and also developementally on children. it is not good enough to say 'suck it up, get used to it'. certainly some people do, but many others do not. you do not need to be woken to have sleep disturbance - as any patient with obstructive sleep apnoea can attest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

Anyone who was driven demented by operations on 16/34 needs or needed a reality check. A runway in use for nearly as long as the existence of the Airport as we know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Planning for the runway would have gone through FCC and AbP or, more likely, AbP via the Strategic Infrastructure planning. In either case, a national authority reviewed the case and was happy with the reduced overnight flights. If FCC put them in originally, AbP could have taken them out but they didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Qaanaaq

This issue is nothing to do with the north runway, it’s a limit on flights on the south runway where there was none before. I think the closure of the north runway at night is enough restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Agree logically but that’s not what’s in the planning permission granted - the new runway closes and less flights allowed on the original runway.

madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

A very well thought out and detailed post, thank you. There are two small details to note regarding the turn after departure. Firstly, SID’s (and STAR’s) are not subject to planning permission and are solely the remit of the IAA and EASA. The other point is the turn was first detailed by the DAA back in 2015 long before work began on the runway. It’s not something thrown on residents last minute. It’s been explained in a lot of detail on this thread the reason for the turn and that it’s an EASA requirement for dual runway ops. That’s something that won’t change.

Regarding Db levels, have you sat in your living room with a decibel meter when an aircraft flys over to see the noise level? And the associated increase during a flyover? The source you cite regarding health issues notes 40db?!? That’s the level of a quiet conversation so I’d be suspect of that report altogether.

I bought a house that backs onto the M50, I knew the motorway was there and I’m not shocked that I hear cars going by at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Paul2019

I have DART trains at the end of my back garden and I'm watching how this plays out with great interest.

Thinking along these lines...

2nd very long planned runway opens and the number of flights between 23:00 and 07:00 is reduced as a condition.

so...

when DART + gets completed, what are my chances of having the number of trains reduced between the same hours.

Also, sometimes I like to sit out in the evenings but when a train goes thundering past, I have to pause the conversation so ideally a reduction in the number of trains from 17:00, overnight and up to 09:00 the next day would suit.

We have a gift in this country for turning the simple into the unworkable. The media and their policy of winding up NIMBYs are a very big part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Be thankful that things like the BAC1-11, 737-200, MD80, 727, 707 and the like are no longer flying. If people think the modern aircraft are noisy, they never had to live with the noise levels of the older aircraft that are now retired. In addition, the older aircraft didn't have the same sort of climb performance, so would have been even lower for longer.

Having said that, I do have to wonder at the way in which some of the 28R departure profiles have been structured, there is a significant increase in the number of flights that come over our area, I understand the concept of having to have separation, but the new departure routes do seem to be over complex, and routing over area that are very much urban.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

This relevant action was subsequently appealed back to an bord pleanalla in august 2022 - and is still awaiting a hearing

A year in the system and still no decision either way no wonder this type of nonsense goes on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Reading the coverage over the past nine months or so, ABP is in a mess and has a workload and backlog that is not going to be sorted overnight. That's a much wider national issue, especially in the context of housing.

All the public transport projects are caught in the same limbo too. MetroLink is going to oral hearing but AbP have no idea when that might happen. The Bus Connects projects are in nomans land.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭brianiac

i dont know all the historical context but believe anp granted planning permission in 2007 with those conditions attached. happy to be informed otherwise. I know there was a high court appeal approx 2015 due to the delay in time before daa commenced building which failed but am unsure if any adjustments to conditions arose from that. regardless those conditions were in place when the daa started building it and they only submitted their relevant action to amend 2 aspects of their original PP (max 65 aircraft movements via a noise quota system, extended hours of north runway operations from 7am-23.00 to 06.00 -->00.00) in 2021 ( https://www.fingal.ie/sites/default/files/2021-06/nr-anca-response_v1.0_0.pdf ) with approval granted in mid 2022.

we are aware that SIDs do not require PP. however the operations of the airport required environmental and noise mapping and plans for mitigation. Those plans are directly affected by the flight paths the runway described within its PP and were not updated within the relevant action. the pictures used within the relevant action shortened the turn off point from 5 nautical miles to 1.8km but the environemntal nose corridors were not adjusted or did they seek to adjust them. When fingal coc gave us planning permission for our replacement dwelling there was no mention or request for noise mitigation within the build as we were outside these noise contours that the daa mapped. Another family similarly affected by these divergent flight paths built closer to these turnoiff points and were requested (for their pp in approx 2015) for a noise assessment for the area and appropriate mitigation in their home build. 2km make an enormous difference in peoples exposure to noise and turns what is background hum into a blast.

If the daa were adherent to their pp we could moan all we want. We would just be 'man in field shakes fist at plane'.

They have been adamant that they are in compliance with planning re north ruinway. on 25/07/23 Pat kenny read out this statement on newstalk:

''Statement read by Pat on his show yesterday.

On yesterday’s programme, we had a report from Barry Whyte around noise complaints from some residents in the vicinity of Dublin Airport.

Due to communications issues that were not of daa’s fault, we weren’t able to get a response from the body before the item. We have been given a statement in which daa say they have been in active engagement with local residents on this topic.

They state:

“At the very time a local resident's pre-recorded interview was being aired, two members of daa's Community Engagement team were meeting with that resident at her home to discuss noise issues - a meeting which had been scheduled over a week previous and before the recording of the interview with Newstalk. 

daa continues to work closely with the local community regarding any issues they are facing as a result of operations at Dublin Airport.”

They go on to say there isn’t a week that goes by when they don’t meet with neighbours to the airport. 

The statement finishes: “ daa refutes any suggestion that it is in breach of any planning conditions relating to North Runway. Balancing the needs of a major international airport, one that is a vital economic driver and facilitator of the Irish economy, with the needs of local communities and our neighbours is always a delicate one, but we take our responsibilities extremely seriously.”

Fingal coco have issued a unauthorised development notice for exceeding the 65 flights at night. Anca have seperately...

https://www.fingal.ie/news/anca-has-published-report-effectiveness-aircraft-noise-mitigation-dublin-airport-2022

i quote:

''this review indicates that although the longer-term NAO required outcomes are lower than the 2019 baseline levels, one of the four NAO expected outcomes has not been achieved for the 2022 assessment year''...''ANCA will take action, whether under Regulation (EU) 598/2014 or the Act of 2019, or both, to that will be effective towards achieving the noise abatement objective.''

Thats twice in one week.

Kenny Jacobs wants to paint this as nimbys moaning and getting in the way of how they want to run the airport. However we live in a democracy with a planning process in place (whether or not its fit for purpose may be another matter) and a justice system which needs to be adhered to, not simply ignored when inconvenient. They went through planning, got planning permission with conditions attached, decided to build it knowing what those conditions were and are now complaining about them when they are being inforced. They designed their flight programme knowing it was in breach of planning but did it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

I hope they change the SIDs off 28L to an immediate right turn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I wonder if the DAA could source a fleet of IL-62Ms to operate the 65 night flights :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

brianiac, you make some very good points and set them out clearly, while I don't agree with you, thank you for that.

There are two separate issues here. You are talking about the routing of departing flights when 28R is in use. While that may be an issue for you, you will be driving flights more over Ashbourne and Rathoath if they were to continue straight for 5 miles and then turn right and ultimately left again for southbound departures. That would be even over more population. 28L and 10R are right up against the city, these must have straight in and out routings both ways, simple as. The deviations must be to the North. Safety rules dictate that one of the runways deviates.

The issue that everyone is jumping up and down about is the 65 flights between 23:00 and 07:00. That is a significant reduction to where we were BEFORE the North runway was in use. More infrastructure, less usage. Madness. As it stands, the North runway is not even in use at those times. It will have zero effect on the noise during the day for you.

One other point, having lived by the airport for over 6 years, the noise is very much either side of a flight path, particularly at night when it is quiet and no ambient noise (traffic / birds / people moving) around. It would be my opinion based on where your house is (guessing pretty much under the current routing off 28R), that you will still have significant noise from the nearby airport even if they go straight on for 5 miles.

This YouTube channel is recommended viewing for those who'd like to be reminded of how the old jets sounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Stop making me h**ny 😂😂 jokes aside, the noise you hear these days from modern jets is mostly airflow and not even the engines themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Back in the 70s and 80s those turbojets were shrieking off/onto the old X pattern runways right over Dublin city on a regular basis, did people not have ears then?

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Back in the 70s, people drove cars without seatbelts, smoked everywhere, children were beaten and abused in schools and we collectively believed in the power of flat lemonade. Time moves on, life improves for people.

Exactly, times move on, infrastructure improves and as an island nation we don't need regressive restrictions on how we travel and trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Not the engines? The airflow is through the engines is it not? Unless you're trying to define "engine" as only the combustion chamber, which would be interesting.

It's true that modern jet engines make less noise. But there are a lot more of them nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Still awaiting reasons as to why DAA should be exempt from planning restrictions because people here believe the airport, despite a second runway, still can't be ran efficiently and successfully, while airports the world over in bigger cities manage to do it.

The hilarity here is that posters seem to be under the impression that all of a sudden our country is shut off via air after 11pm and all those foreign investors can't bring in their suitcases of cash.

You're taking a very much Americanised approach in that as a country business is first and foremast, the people of the country are secondary.

My understanding is, that a condition to the north runway planning results in a new restriction on the whole airfield. They are complaining about flights that were taking place previously and would contuine on the southern runway. That is the issue I have with the planning, not that the Daa should be exempt. Equally the issue is the underfunding of aBp which is causing the isse to drag on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ABP is a shitshow alright. How often are there 65 flights within the restricted window?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

They should not be flouting planning conditions regardless. I wonder are there other airports in the developed world just ignoring legal operating restrictions like this. Who knows ABP might not even rule in their favour as I see the Dutch government has decided to reduce capacity at Schiphol by 12% for reasons of noise pollution and to help reach climate targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

65 flights landing and departing between 11pm and 7am is a significant restriction. Ryanair have called for it be to 12 to 6 which is far more sensible.

• Advertisement

If you go back a couple of pages in this thread, I posted the info, which I took from FR24.

Advertisement