Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,238 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Anything with ‘broad support’ is likely to work.

Getting that support given the failure of devolution is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Yes of course. It’s hard to me to imagine an all Ireland setup. But that aside, if the people of the joining ni expressed their desire to have devolution I think it would be hard for the Dail to resist.

I see it as being reasonable to the incoming ni. If there was not a majority in the incoming ni who desired it, then I wouldn’t expect the Dail to formally introduce it. But even in that unlikely scenario, I believe the Dail would be going the extra mile to appease the No voters - not with full autonomy but with separate police service etc.

So would you end devolution in ni francie if it’s such a disaster?

I think Unionism is doing that and we are heading towards defacto joint authority.

The only thing that will avoid that is, to quote Newtown Emerson, for Unionism to be less Unionist but they have neither the sense nor the strategic guile to do that. Political Unionism is getting more diehard.

And yes, I would put devolution out of it’s misery tbh

Why is it ‘reasonable’?

Devolution has not worked, can you tell us why you think it would then work in a UII?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

There is so much literature written about the working class sectarian divide in Belfast. I cant see any written about an upper class sectarian divide. Anyone who tries to deny that sectarianism effects the working class more is quite frankly a fool.

The proof is in the pudding tho. Could a catholic from the south like me move to the working class protestant area like the Shankill rd and live there peacefully??? Absolutely not. Could I live in an upper class protestant area like the Malone rd without issue?? yes. I see the once upper class protestant Malone rd now has a 50/50 catholic protestant split. This is so obvious. what is the agenda here denying sectarianism is a working class problem.

If there is BP it will or should be known what a UI will look like. It will go against a unity vote leaving unanswered questions as people are generally risk adverse and wont vote for something with unknowns as that brings risk.

I think if they did go down a fedral system the boundaries should be changed. Donegal and Derry not being in the same state would not make much sense for instance. I also think they have to get rid of the term NI as it has too much bad baggage. If unionist say the tricolour needs to be changed as they associate with republicans and bad baggage it is also fair for nationalists to to say the term NI needs to be gone too as it associated with division. New country new Brand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A federal solution dividing the current NI as a separate administration would make no sense as the main area of unionism - if there is such a thing - is east of the Bann. Coleraine to Newry would be the line, but that leaves West Belfast inside it. There is no way that would work.

The Unionists, as exemplified by the DUP and TUV would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, be satisfied no matter what. They will always say NO, NO, NEVER.

Even Carson realised they had been tricked by LLoyd George.

No, the proposal for a UI has to be such that most of the reasonable voters in NI agree that a UI would not be anything but a better arrangement than the current one, and that they will prosper both socially and economically in the new UI.

One can only hope. Afterall, they voted for the GFA - except for the DUP. Let us hope that a UI vote carries with a similar majority.

• Advertisement

You are now changing your point. You said working class are more sectarian, now you are saying working classes are more effected by sectarianism. Two very different claims. While it is still a huge generalisation, as a generalisation there is some truth in the latter argument. There are lots of affluent families who have members murdered due to sectarianism

I have no disagreement with any of that. I do though think Donegal should then have a referendum to decide if it joins. The ni name point is the same as some more progressive SF members have been arguing about dropping the name ireland altogether. Think it makes sense.

You are equating a desire for a people who have lived together and separate from others for 100 (and dime would say 1,000) years, as a drive for a unionist state. Nonsense, it’s a desire for maintaining OWC. While nationalist and unionist won’t matter, or if did then we would have unionists and separatists …you’ll be the unionists!

Problem for Unionism if there is a majority in favour of a UI is that it will be a statement that nobody wants a bit of YWC. And you have not 'lived separately for 100 years', that is another Unionist delusion. The real border is back where it belongs and the British, the rest of the EU and Irish people know why - you cannot separate us.

What a load of hookum.

You'll give one county a choice? (Good luck asking Donegal to partition itself away by the way!) but not others? Do you not think Tyrone, Derry and Fermanagh would be looking for a referendun too?

You certainly know how to sow the seeds of division, I'll give you that.

It wasn’t me suggested Donegal be included. Maybe you check out with the poster what their rationale is. I am just suggesting it might be good to ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

And by the same logic, would it not be good to ask the people of Fermanagh, Tyrone and Derry (who have just voted for Unification in this hypothetical scenario)?

😁 You suggested giving them a referendum - one county gets it's own wee referendum to join YWC? Did you even pause to think about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,486 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nobody ever openly supports their second choice option.

The current situation of UI vs status quo is a classic prisoner's dilemma since neither side is prepared to peacefully accept the other outcome. Neither outcome is broadly acceptable to the people of Northern Ireland generally, there are losers either way. A third way, to ensure an outcome which is less optimal than the two on the table to one side, but significantly broadly acceptable to both sides to ensure that all get something.

Politicians are classic selfish actors in a prisoner's dilemma, so why would we look to them?

maybe we’ve found the answer. Who ever thought that it would be an agreement between francie and me that would crack a 1,000 year old problem.

i completely 100% agree with you Francie, that the border is currently in the correct place. Now could you work on convincing all republicans that “The real border is back where it belongs”.

if you can get them thinking like you, then we are sorted. With that agreement I am quite sure that unionists will be happy to have salad sandwiches rather than ham sandwiches in our packed lunches when returning from a trip to Edinburgh.

That’s a fair question. This is the problem with any referendum anywhere, where do we draw the lines?

• Advertisement

Francie as a supporter of direct rule is a consequence of the position he takes as against it in a UI.

Just responding to a poster who thought that Donegal would rather join us than stay with you. Maybe ask him is he deciding for them or has he a plan. I don’t have a solution for that one but I do have an affection for Donegal.

You are once again 'projecting' acceptance of something nobody of substance wants. Nobody wants it, as nobody thinks it is anything but can kicking to appease Unionists and partitionists.

You are once again ignoring that a majority of nationalism have fully and 'peacefully' accepted arrangements since the GFA and are projecting a violent response if a BP fails.

One way to ensure violence or massive sestabilising division would be for Unionism and partitionists to succeed in watering down once again what a majority democatically wants, we have been there, done that:

Have you come up with any reasons why it might work in a UI when it has failed utterly in a UK?

I know Donegal very well and I can assure you they would never vote to be a part of YWC. (was it 3 quotas for SF at the last general election?)

YOu proposed giving ONE county a separate referendum. Nobody else.

The classic old-time republican denial that the border on this island hasn't existed for 100 years. Seriously delusional republican stuff, Free State nonsense, six counties nonsense.

The reality is that Northern Ireland has been separate for 100 years, despite your heartfelt dream that it had been different.

1918 electoral maps, living in the past summed up.

No, 'learning' from the past.

Was ignoring that wish a wise decision? Only a deluded fantasist would posit that theory.

Oh no doubt the power swappers of FG and FF tried to treat it as separate, but nobody ever stopped the people interacting. Nobody ever stopped trading.

And for more than the 25 years of the GFA, the south has been politically involved in running the place via the Anglo Irish Agreement etc and much more before it.

1918 electoral outcomes have no bearing or relevance in 2023 other than historical curiousity. Those decisions of that time cannot be revisited and should not be revisited, they happened, dwelling on them for 105 years, as republicans have done is wasted effort and time.

• Advertisement

It is a fact that the two jurisdictions have been separate for over a century, a reality that cannot be denied. They are now two different societies, be that in education, in health, in infrastructure, in transport, in cultural norms, in everything.

Who is revisiting them?

I said we should 'learn' from them. It was a tragic disaster, as we know, to partition this country.

And your selective dismissal of history because it currently suits is noted. You'd be quick to point out historical wrongs if they were committed by those you don't like or point to Sunningdale if that suited your argument.

No more separate than it is to Scotland England or Wales.

Culturally there isn't the width of a credit card of difference, neither you nor downcow can point to significant differences after all. Was it M&S sandwiches that got mentioned one time?

Much work has been done on joining the health systems which already inter act, and both our infratstructures already interact together, road, rail, electrictity etc.

Not to mention that both governments oversee the running of the place via an international agreement that could not be broken even by Brexit and a UK parliamentary meltdown.

There is no one view of history. An alternative view is that independence of the South was a tragic disaster. The experience of Irish people during the 1930-1960 period would lend significant support to that view.

Partition, by itself, was not the problem. That too easily absolves people from their actions. It was "the partition that made me do it" excuse is feeble.

I never suggested they would. I am still bemused why you are not directing these posts to the person who suggested Donegal joining our wee project?

I was responding to a poster who thought Donegal would want to join our wee project. I thought they should be asked first

Oh so it’s yous’uns that are to blame for ‘the failure’. And there was me thinking you were blaming it all on the orange statelet and the Brits. I hadn’t realised you guys were running the place since 1985. That’s 40 years. How many years do you think it will take for you to fix it?

The poster suggested no such thing, here is what they said:

Donegal and Derry not being in the same state would not make much sense for instance. 

Absolutely nowhere do they say 'Donegal would like to join' your wee project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I don't disagree with this in the slightest in terms of political science theory, but it is a pretty big stretch to go from, 'people will not openly support their second choice' to, 'but they definitely would be fine with this specific one'.

I've said repeatedly that I'm not tied to black and white, 'Unification by subsumption or bust' thinking. What I'm saying is that while I'm hypothetically fine with federal solutions (though not so much confederal solutions myself), you're making a huge assumption with stating that a federal solution would be, 'broadly acceptable to both', and an even bigger assumption that a federal solution that retains a devolved NI will be even remotely acceptable to either.

The latter in particular I would view as a, 'worst of both worlds'. I understand the idea of finding a compromise that no one will be happy with but everyone can live with, it's a noble goal. Making assumptions like you do so wildly risks instead landing on a solution that no one will be happy with and nobody finds acceptable. While it is undoubtedly, 'fair', it is fair for all the wrong reasons.

Those who wish to actively campaign for solutions like those you propose have the same responsibility to demonstrate that it would be broadly acceptable as a second choice to both sides as those advocating for Unification have to demonstrate support for their desired outcome. Hypotheticals and assumptions won't cut it for either camp.

• Advertisement

I have always maintained there is hierarchy of blame for what happened on this island, beginning with those (in power) who allowed it to happen.

FF and FG by tacitly ignoring what was going on in the sectarian bigoted one party statelet have a share of the blame.

as you say Francie, you have grown up in a utopian success, secular, open, tolerant and the sun always shining. I have grown up on a failed, sectarian, orange statelet with poor health outcomes and controlled by religious fanatics. Surely we will be culturally far far apart? Unless you are talking shite and saying what suits each argument?

you wouldn’t do that!

So keep inventing opinions for people if that helps.

Twice now this morning alone you have done it. Once for 'ittakestwo' and now for me.

Totally dis-ingenuous or worse.

I haven't put forward a specific solution, open to federal, confederal, formal joint authority, dependency, many different possibilities. Without putting them all out there and discussing them, it isn't possible to demonstrate that any of them would be broadly acceptable as a second choice. However, I do believe that 100 years of separation have created a sense that many in the middle or lukewarm on either side would welcome some Northern Ireland identity in any solution and that this group is key to finding a sustainable majority in support.

I said in a fedral ireland new states could be drawn up. Donegal would be one of 32 counties finding itself in a new fedral state. It does not need a vote over any other county. The fedral states dont even have to follow boundary lines of counties do they?

The geographical name is ireland. There is no changing that. No government can change a geographical name. So a jurisdiction that covers a geographical place called Ireland will be called Ireland. The terms NI and ROI are political terms that will go on unification.

Post edited by ittakestwo on

I stand by both observations. The working class are more likely to be the perpetrators and victims of sectarianism.

• Advertisement

There is a geographical term called the British Isles as well. You could make an equal geographic argument for this island to be called Lesser Britain. Lucky that we aren't just relying on geography for names.

Hibernia is an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭droidman123

As i have said before,i was born and bred in dublin,i have never lived in the british isles in my life

Is your idea of a fedral ireland is welding the ROI and NI together isnt it

I hate the term NI. Lots of nationalists do. It reminds me of division, failure apartheid, supremecy etc. I want the term gone in a UI like many nationlists. Many unionists also hate the ROI term. They associate a flag that represents irish nation with republicaism. As such i think we need a new flag in a UI that people dont find contentious. How do you propose to satisfing people like me who hate the term NI and its made up boundary line. Surely nationlism not insisting on an 1840's flag equates to unionism not insisting on 1920s boundary lines. Or is appeasement only done for unionism and not nationalism?

It will be a new unified jurisdiction. Why keep old boundaries flags anthems and names that have alot of baggage to some when you can easily come up with new names boundaries flags and anthems that have no baggage.

That only confirms my point that geographical terms are in the eyes of the beholder, and not as fixed as the other poster might think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭droidman123

They are not in the eyes of any beholder,its a fact that i dont and never have lived in the british isles

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement