Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing to External Wall Insulation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It seems like a junior cert maths question, but what fraction of a 75 degree ladder's weight is exerted against the wall it leans against?

I'm guessing 1/8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

I think It’s just Cos 75 but I usually get these things wrong.

1/4 roughly?

Yeah, but isn't it half that because ...ground something something 😂

I have no idea.

and wouldnt it depend on how far up the ladder you stood...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

I asked ChatGPT: A person weighing 90kg stands 75% of the way up on a 5m ladder weighing 20kg leaning against a wall. How much force is exerted on the wall?

To calculate the force exerted on the wall by the person standing on the ladder, we need to consider both the gravitational force and the horizontal component of the force due to the ladder.

Gravitational force on the ladder: The ladder itself weighs 20 kg, so the force due to gravity acting on the ladder can be calculated as:

Gravitational Force (F_gravity_ladder) = Mass of the ladder × Acceleration due to gravity F_gravity_ladder = 20 kg × 9.8 m/s² ≈ 196 N

Gravitational force on the person: The person's weight is 90 kg, and the force due to gravity can be calculated as:

Gravitational Force (F_gravity_person) = Mass of the person × Acceleration due to gravity F_gravity_person = 90 kg × 9.8 m/s² ≈ 882 N

Horizontal component of force on the wall: The ladder leans against the wall, creating a horizontal component of force on the wall. The horizontal component of force can be calculated as:

Horizontal Component of Force (F_horizontal) = (1 - Fraction of the ladder length) × (F_gravity_ladder + F_gravity_person) F_horizontal = (1 - 0.75) × (196 N + 882 N) ≈ 0.25 × 1078 N ≈ 269.5 N

Now, let's convert the horizontal force to kilograms:

Force on the wall in kilograms:

Force (in kg) = Horizontal Force (in N) / Acceleration due to gravity Force (in kg) = 269.5 N / 9.8 m/s² ≈ 27.5 kg

So, the horizontal force exerted on the wall by the ladder with the person standing on it is approximately 27.5 kilograms.

No idea if that's right, but it seems plausible. A fair bit of pressure over a small surface area.

and just to allay any fears that AI will take over the world :)

The weight exerted on the wall is the vertical component of the force due to the ladder and the person. This force is equal to the sum of the weight of the ladder and the weight of the person, both multiplied by their respective proportions along the ladder.

Given:

Person's weight (W_person) = 90 kg

Ladder's weight (W_ladder) = 20 kg

Ladder length (L) = 5 m

Distance up the ladder (d) = 75% of ladder length = 0.75 * 5 m = 3.75 m

Calculate the vertical component of the ladder's weight on the wall (F_ladder_wall):

F_ladder_wall = (W_ladder * g) * (d / L)

F_ladder_wall = (20 kg * 9.81 m/s²) * (3.75 m / 5 m) ≈ 147.15 N

Calculate the vertical component of the person's weight on the wall (F_person_wall):

F_person_wall = (W_person * g) * (d / L)

F_person_wall = (90 kg * 9.81 m/s²) * (3.75 m / 5 m) ≈ 661.95 N

Calculate the total weight exerted on the wall (Total_weight_wall):

Total_weight_wall = F_ladder_wall + F_person_wall

Total_weight_wall ≈ 147.15 N + 661.95 N ≈ 809.1 N

Convert the total weight exerted on the wall from Newtons to kilograms:

Weight in kg = Weight in N / g

Weight in kg = 809.1 N / 9.81 m/s² ≈ 82.36 kg

Therefore, the weight exerted on the wall is approximately 82.36 kilograms.

That quote is what chatGPT gave me for the same question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Yeah I had to modify the q slightly. You have to be ultra specific so it took a couple of tries to get it to answer the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

82.36+27.5 = 110

110 = 90 (person) + 20 (ladder)

So the first ChatGPT is the force on the wall (27.5) and the second answer is force on the ground (82.36)

Isn't ChatGPT amazing? I think it's incredible.

Not as amazing as hesker though.

the problem is that it tells you both are the correct answer to the same question!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

These stand offs are well worth the money, have used mine both internally and externally. They also leave room to work and put a paint tray etc.

ive used it internally as I always fear the ladder breaking the plaster board. So I just fix some timber across it to spread the load further again.

Advertisement