Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Actually, I’m wrong about Mahon Point - all of Mahon is inside the 1965-2019 City boundary, so that mess is entirely Cork City Council’s fault. But I’m right about Douglas, which was outside Cork City until the latest boundary change in 2019 finally brought it under the control of the City, along with Glanmire, Ballincollig, Tower and Blarney - Little Island was in the original boundary extension proposal, but that stays with the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yes.

And they have another one planned in Carrigtohill. They also have multiple business parks on the city outskirts collecting their money: Watergrasshill Carrigtohill, Little Island, Ringaskiddy, Blarney, etc. They're pouring petrol on the flames. One for another thread. But it's so difficult to fix this problem of people being locked into short-distance car usage, it's going to take an enormous effort to resolve the N40 issues.

I have friends who used to ask whether the N40 will be free-flowing now that the Dunkettle Interchange is done, but I think most of them aren't under any illusions now.

And as you say, the City are no great shining light either, a LOT of the councillors are still against sustainable transport. It's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭pauly58

Was it value for money costing over €200m though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

A high volume of traffic traveling at 120km/h (N25) and 100km/ N40 arriving at a 60km/h choke point is always going to result in queues. Hopefully when/if the speed limit through the interchange is increased the queueing issue should be alleviated.

Regarding the tunnel itself, It's a shame our planners didn't exhibit any understanding of the concept of future-proofing back in the day. In terms of a piece of major infrastructure, 25 years is a very short time span before something begins showing signs of being overwhelmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

As I recall, the sale by the City Council of the landbank in Mahon was what funded the refurbishment of Patrick Street in the early 2000s....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wasn't it the case that the JLT was originally to be 1 lane in either direction? And the protests to make it 2 lanes in either direction delayed it for quite some time.

Ironically if it had been 1 lane in each direction it would have been overloaded so quickly we'd likely have a 3 lane in either direction crossing now.

The state didn't have much money and were afraid to spend so much on a project outside Dublin where there was already huge need for capital projects. But I believe that an original design (maybe just a concept?) included usage of the central "escape" bore as a pedestrian/cycle path. A shame that didn't go ahead. But thank god they managed to avoid it being a bridge, as per another concept design!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Is the current 60 limit permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I think a bridge would have fine as long as it was something like a cable stay with plenty of clearance for shipping. The elevated bridge deck would have facilitate an M8 - N40 flyover instead of the current N8 - N25 flyover we instead got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

Law of unintended consequences at work - Rat runners coming westward on the N25 , are , at peak times when traffic is crawling along opposite little island retail park , taking the new left hand link K lane , up on to link J to the flyover southern roundabout , and taking the second exit on to link M and rejoining the N25 , jumping about a kilometer or more of slow moving traffic . This queue jumping is adding to the load on the southern roundabout at peak times causing additional congestion on traffic passing north / south through it.

The cost for a bridge was huge, because each side was at sea level. This meant it would have needed about a kilometre of ramps on either side in order to reach the required clearance for container shipping - the northern side, as marshland, would have needed deep piling to safely support such a bridge. In the 1980s, when they did the costs, they found that an immersed single-bore tunnel was pretty much the same price as a high-level bridge, and would have negligible impact on shipping during and after its construction.

The single-bore tunnel was upgraded to a twin-bore design when the new National Roads Authority took over budgetary responsibility for the River Lee Tunnel Project in 1992. One of the reasons for the upgrade was that the newly-created European Union was working out the details of a scheme to fund infrastructure projects in peripheral areas, and Ireland was one of the priorities for this funding. That scheme became the EU Cohesion Fund, launched in 1994, and money from this Fund paid 85% of the tunnel’s construction costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

I wonder if they were assuming that the North Ring Road was going to follow in short order? A complete ring road would presumably have slowed the buildup of pressure on the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I've mentioned the Carrigtohill off ramp queueing above. Now, I'm no expert but it seems to me that this is due to a big increase in traffic coming onto the roundabout from the South (i.e. Cobh / N25W side) in recent weeks. IMHO this is people turning off and using the 'back road' to Glanmire / Little Island because of queues further ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'd argue that what shouldn't have been built was not Mahon Point itself, but the Mahon Point junction.

There are 11 junctions on the N40. Using the following rule of thumb - "a junction must only be provided where it connects to a national route" - and you'd close six of them (Junctions 10, 8, 7, 5, 4, 2). You'd also probably close half of the junctions on the M50.

We have four bypassed cities in Ireland, and only two of them, Waterford and Limerick, are bypassed properly, without the excessive numbers of junctions that have caused so many problems for the N40 and M50.

I thought you were mentioning the opposite ramp, my apologies. I'm not sure that it's being caused by additional traffic from Cobh side: I'll have a look and see if I can confirm you're right. It certainly is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

You are right. This is what I do when travelling West on the N25 at peak times as it's much quicker (and less stressful) than queuing on the N25W which typically is at a standstill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Maybe I'm wrong, but I go up there every evening and it seems traffic from the N25E is waiting ages for gaps in the traffic coming the 'Cobh side' (i.e. cars coming from Midleton direction, but turning off here to take the old road).

I typically see it from other sides than you, so I might be able to shed some light. There was always a bit of traffic coming from the Cobh side, but there were always plenty gaps in it as you say, never a constant stream. I'm going to go have a look!

I can confirm this is definitely happening quite a bit.

• Advertisement

I’d argue that the junction should have been built as a trumpet.

Jacob’s Islsnd should have no access directly to the N40. Instead it would have a bridge linking it to the local road network in Mahon.

The N40 was never built as a true bypass. That’s what the NRR will be.

It's a "ring road" in all its glory!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That’d actually make traffic worse on the N40 east now. Realistically to solve the Mahon merging issue the only thing they can do there is meter traffic merging from Mahon and implement variable speed limits eastbound to limit the accordion braking issue. Such an action will cause havoc around Mahon though.

The NRR would be a true bypass but with the airport, port all being fed off the N40 it’ll still be limited in effect.

IMO the Southern Distributor removing local traffic off the N40 would be a great help. I’d imagine the Northern Distributor + Southern Distributor + NRR will all be removed from CMATS next year when Eamon Ryan shïts on the revised version (he has done this now in Limerick and is odds on to do it in Galway this year)

Completely agree. My view on the Mahon junction is just in isolation.

The N40 is completely above its capacity. Adding additional lanes is not on agenda due to cost and cost / benefit.

Any money would be better spent on

1. Improving public transport
    2. North Ring Road
    3. South distributor

I’m going slightly o/t here but it’s directly tied in. The complete lack of housing in the city at the minute isn’t helping either, and 20-30 year olds starting jobs/college etc aren’t moving to the city as much and are driving in from around the county instead. That and general growth puts a strained system under more pressure.

For example, if the Jacobs Island development was completed and provided 700/800 apartments there Mahon area workers could live there and not have to travel to Mahon.

Hopefully the Docklands res happens too and provides an attractive neighbourhood 10 mins away on the Luas

It all adds up in the traffic reduction equation

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Rant incoming!!

Was in Cork for the day yesterday and I see the M8 to N40 interchange is still a mess. Honestly it was better when there was a full roundabout.. At least there were 2 full lanes on approach, no last minute braking because of camera vans, and no people cutting/blocking each other off on the merges (more on that in a minute!)

As if those design issues aren't bad enough, some fcking GENIUS decided to block off the right/Dublin lane on approach to the tunnel last night at around 9pm (Thursday night/late night shopping night!) causing a 40 minute tailback to get through the tunnel and then forcing drivers inbound to circle the next roundabout in order to get to where they're actually going!

On top of that (as a side note) was a clown in a 17 year old C reg hatchback straddling both lanes on approach to the tunnel trying to prevent people "skipping" him and merging into the single lane - something I've also seen on Carrs hill at peak times incidentally. WHY can so many people down there not bloody drive?! Don't even get me started on the lack of indicator usage generally!

I don't know what clowns are "managing" this project but they're making a complete mess of it, and of course not a Garda to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

While I queued yesterday, from east of Jct 2, at about 5 pm traveling westbound on the N25 I did wonder why so much traffic was heading up Link J to Little Island, now I know 😡.

If you don’t think the design is good, suggest an improvement and we can talk about it. It’s worth remembering that you’re still driving through a construction site, though, before making judgments about the performance of the design.

Sorry you had a **** drive, but I suspect you’ll get a lot more sympathy on the Motoring forum than here...

Video this morning from the team highlighting the upcoming tunnel to M8 north movement. Anyone like to guess on potential timelines for this to open.

• Advertisement

The junction is much, much better now in my experience. I have a friend working in Little Island who also thinks it’s a god send.

Advertisement