Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It was my first actual week of training last week after picking the HH intermediate 1 plan (starting at week 5)

Planned: |5k|10k|5k|Rest|10k|19.5k|Cross|

Actual: |5k|10k|5k|Rest|10k|20k|50 min walk|

I embraced my inner turtle, 7:30/k for basically all the runs other than the long run which I did at 7:10/k, so I could maybe slow that down a bit more even, although it felt fine.

Was happy to get the 10k + 20k done, never ran that kind of distances one after another. Very tempting to tack an extra K onto to the 20K to make it a half, but I'll be doing that distance plenty in the next few months!

Its a step back week this week for me, but it does have a 10k at marathon pace on Friday, so what kind of animal comes after a turtle in the speed charts!?

I hope all your updates are as boring as mine, which means training went to plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Club Plan|Track|rest|Track|rest|30mins|rest|16km

Actual|track|rest|track|rest|5km|rest|24km

I ended up swapping weeks in my training plan to match up with the Kilbeggan 10 miler next weekend. Not gonna lie I was kinda looking forward to a shorter long run, but it made more sense to swap over rather than trying to get the extra miles in before the race.

Took the track session on Mon eve easy enough for recovery. Weds session was tough as we were in with the faster crew. Fri was an easy 5km, ran with a friend who was doing a solo LSR so kept him company for the last 3 miles.

Sunday's LSR was tough enough - physically and mentally. Legs felt tired. First long run of the plan that made me think "what the F have I signed up for?!!" Took at gel at 11km and 18.5km. Last 2km were faster as we just wanted to be in out of the rain. 24km 2hr39min, av pace 6:39min/km.

Total for the week 43.35km. Also did 2 online workouts and threw a load of turf into the shed!

Enjoy your break MisterJinx!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Week 5

This week didn't go to (Boards) plan with only 21 miles (34Km) done, and most of those were yesterday's long run.

I had a cough that wasn't going away so followed doc's advice to not run until it cleared, as a result I missed Tuesday - Friday inclusive. I know it was the sensible thing to do but I'm not a great patient and found it tough.

So no gym this week and only one game of tennis.

Saturday's easy run ended up being too fast (probably the excitement of being allowed out to run again 🤪) but the LSR on Sunday was more or less on target i.e. outrageously slow.

I'm away this weekend Thurs - Sun so need to have a think about how I get the runs in without heading for the divorce courts. Might end up getting up at dawn for the LSR.

Well done to everyone for getting the miles in (or Kms, I think I'm the only one running in miles ??). And thanks mentors and all the posters for the good advice and solidarity 😀.

Post edited by Bungy Girl on

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

Uneventful week here, stuck to the plan

Rest 3m 5m 3m rest 10m lsr

Might try to add 1 pmp to the hh plan for this week, also need to slow down more but all going well.

Great to see everyone going strong 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 

No. Got to 22.5k done. Enjoyed the strides after 10k on Wednesday & as you’ll see from my Strava only managed 1k of the recovery run on Thursday & Achilles tightened & had to stop running unfortunately. I also have stabbing pain in my right ankle from time to time over the last week for some reason. I may need to return to my orthotics I ditched a few years back. Anyway I’ve had a physio session & hope to get back at it tomorrow after 5 days rest. Slightly concerned I’m starting to miss LSR’s but it is what it is & I didn’t want to risk it.

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? 

All my runs Mon/Tue/Wed were done at appropriate pace … my Wed 10k was slightly hilly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Outrageous slow 🤣🤣🤣 I love it , perfect pace 👌

Try as best as you can and let the recovery take place. I got a little massage gun and it helps working out the calfs which can help relieve the Achillies.

I'm not a physio but from my own experience of calf and Achillies issues I had to totally cut out any pace work for 2 months, maybe don't do any of the hills or strides on the plan and just concentrate on the easy and long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hills are murderous for the achilles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

A1 .. great stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Crunchy23

Only 5 runs in week 5, for a total of 54km. I was on a stags over the weekend so that was a write off. I got my LSR in on Thursday and a recovery run on Friday before we headed off. I didnt get out again until an easy run on Monday.

Yes, sticking to the same pace for the last 3 weeks now and its feel fairly good and consistent. It was a fairly warm day for the LSR on Thursday but got through it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Runner2023

All runs completed at appropriate pace - 52km in total. LSR came in at 6:45/km.

This week was a bit of a slog tbh. I slept poorly for a few nights and really felt the effects.

I'm headed away next week. Is it fair to say that the MP session on Wednesday and the LSR are the most important? I'll likely end up dropping one or both of the easy runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tribal Wardfare

Week 5

Yes Ran 5 days/ cross trained 1 day / fully rested 1 day.

All except for the Wed run. Went a little faster than planned but not too bad. LSR was enjoyable and managed to avoid the rain. I am finding that the LSR time goes by much quicker than I was expecting. I think running new routes as I try and work out the distance needed has helped keep it interesting. Again, like last week, it is the second half of the run, as I get more easily distracted, that I am finding the pace sneak up. Hydration went well as did the gels. Gels every 30 mins seem to work best for me. Recovery run Sunday was a horrible wet day session, but used it as something to tick off of my list of weather types, as someone suggested here (Thanks for that mental tip!). Regardless, going extra slow in the rain seems to be a new layer of torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yes it is fair to say that individually they are the two most important runs. That being said consistency and building time on feet are more important than any individual runs. 😉 With that in mind I'd be suggesting you also get in a minimum of one easy run.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

The Irish Life half is sold out and I never booked it, gah! Going to book Frank Duffy this morning

Balls, me neither! We could always do a 21km procrastinators group run that day 😁

edit: or this in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Im considering the Charleville HM https://eventmaster.ie/event/PkjMsJDhLe handy for me being down south. but there is a train.

Is a race recommended im in two minds whether I can be bothered attending a pre marathon race.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

Hi all, any advice for training after a weeks holiday. I’d factored in the week into my plan and just did 3 x 4-5 mile treadmill runs during the week (it was v hot and terrain outside not very runnable), but no long run. Now wondering if it’s wise to pick up where I left off regarding the long run. Was up to 15m the week before. I have 16m in the plan for the weekend. Feeling fine…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'd consider the week a step back week and now return to the plan. An easy week won't have you needing to drop distances. It would be trying to do more than plan in a chase for lost miles that would be a mistake to make.

For me, the HM (if I get that far without breaking myself) is going to be a sanity check for my marathon pace estimates. If I can't do X/km for a half with all the race-day atmosphere to motivate me, then I probably can't do X+40s/km or whatever for the full marathon a month later.

• Advertisement

One thing I have been thinking with the mid training block half is it doesn't really have a proper taper, or at least my plan doesn't, so It's not really ideal conditions for setting your best time in a HM.

It has one extra rest day and a bit of a step back in KMs for the other sessions for the week, but its still 21k the week leading up to the half, while the week before was the most KM in the plan to date.

Maybe just something to keep in mind if your using something like the "2x half plus 20 minutes" formula for your marathon pace, that if you were really going for a PB time in the half you'd probably approach it differently.

On my HH intermediate plan, my half is at the end of week 9, people following the boards plans its not til the end of week 13. I'm thinking about maybe doing Longford as its that weekend, pretty close by and I've a friend doing the full.

I'm a novice so take the advice with a pinch of salt, but I think having the experience of a race day if you haven't done them before will be helpful. It's good to get some practise in of what to expect! Even stuff like the waiting around at the start, what are you going to eat day of etc

We actually could! If you don't mind me crapping in the bushes every 30 mins (joking - it's not THAT bad 😅🫣)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

What's a good speedwork session for marathon training? I do 15k/10k with 1500 at about 10k pace followed by 500 metres at slow pace and repeat until I reach the distance. Should it be faster/shorter?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Hi All,

Any recommendations for in the marathon I need to get some new shorts as my trusty 2in1 running shorts have started to chafe. I am wearing full running tights on long runs where chafing is at its biggest risk but I think theyll be too warm for a full marathon.

Im considering half running tights and a singlet but havent worn a singlet before is there a recommended outfit I know ive plenty of time but want to do my long runs in the stuff first.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Others can recommend shorts, etc. but my #1 suggestion to prevent chafing would be bodyglide (or similar).

Which plan are you following? For the boards plan the speed work is usually a weekly session at planned marathon effort with the distance of that increasing over time, this week is 8km at marathon effort. Generally for a marathon plan you don't need "speed work" as you need to work on endurance for a marathon and you gain that endurance through lots of slow easy running with a sprinkling of the marathon pace effort like above.

I use the asics ventilate 2in1 shorts and they keep the chafing to a minimum. I've bought some new shorts too try out which don't have the 2in1 and I'll be using lots of anti chafing cream with them and see how I go. I think I have a 15% off voucher for asics so if you are going to order then then let me know and I'll send it to you

In my experience Addidas 2 in 1 running shorts are the best. I've a couple of thousand kms built up in them by now, and they're only just starting to chafe due to literally being worn constantly, and thigh rub. Only downside is no pocket but if you're getting a belt that sorts that. I always wear a belt no matter the shorts.

My other favourite shorts are also Addidas tight running shorts, I'm guessing 6" inseam. Tiny opening / open pocket on back but I wouldn't risk my car key in there. Again, only started chafing after tons and tons of wear. All other shorts I've tried like Nike, Sweaty Betty etc have been fine but just not lasted the the test of time in terms of mileage done.

I'm a shorts girl and only wear long gear in the depths of cold weather.

Also, Bodyglide is a must as I tend to chafe in wet and humid weather regardless of shorts.

Edited to add: the newer Addidas 2 in 1s have a zip pocket I believe. There's a lovely pair I'm considering buying. Not cheap at 60 bills but I'll get years out of them.

If you still have spare recovery capacity after 60km easy a week including a 3hr long run, do some S&C, and if you can do 60km a week including a 3 hour long run + S&C and still have recovery left then make every other long run a progression run up to MP. And if you can do that, you probably don't need a novices thread 😀

• Advertisement

I have big legs and inner thigh rub is a real problem for me, even when walking.

I run with compression style shorts, a non-negotiable for me.

Mostly I wear under shorts, similar to these: https://ie.sportsdirect.com/puma-short-tight-sn99-428161#colcode=42816108. I use running shorts over these that don't have any lining, I even cut the lining out of some shorts I had as the lining does nothing for me when wearing the under shorts

My current favourite thing to run in is these from decathlon: https://www.decathlon.ie/men-s-running-mid-tights-shorts-and-baggy-shorts/145824-184885-run-dry-men-s-running-tight-shorts-black.html#/demodelsize-929uk_30quote_slash_eu_s/demodelcolor-8381931

They are basically half tights, they provide the same function as the under shorts but have the added benefit of less layers during the warmer weather.

To be honest the first couple of times I used them I did feel a little like I forgot to put on my actual shorts, but I have gotten over that :)

I have zero issues with thigh rubbing now

I do also use vaseline a bit higher up to stop any rubbing there. I will probably swap to bodyglide as I find that vaseline wears out around the half marathon distances for my nipples anyways, although I havent had any issues anywhere else.

I am a bit concerned of how I'm going to apply the bodyglide at the marathon as its more like the texture of a bar of soap than vaseline, so its not like you can just discretely apply it under your top or whatever!

Advertisement