Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's grand on Mondays (haven't done a Friday yet), but it's still a bit painful on the 3 middle days (and we're still in summer). Took me close to an hour to get out of Eastgate last Tuesday.

Not sure it'll ever get much better though. They need some better signage though which might improve things a small bit as it's very confusing where you're meant to be atm (better on the Little Island west exit compared to the N25)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's amazing how quickly people forget what it was like before with all the traffic lights

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would it help Eastgate if there was traffic lights at the exit to the park near the golf club? I'm actually surprised at how many cars are still going to the Eastern flyover to come back towards the tunnel then.

I'd say the best help would be if they turned the road by Kearys/Costa into a 2+1 layout (you'd have room by taking some of the footpath/grass area on either side). It morphs into 2+1 after the roundabout by KFC anyway so you'd just be extending that further.

Slowing the traffic coming from Golf club/church area down to the main roundabout getting on to n25 would help too but I feel that still likely ends up with traffic backing up in Eastgate as people will just queue on the Kearys one if traffic starts backing up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

I think we could see the realignment of the N40 to M8 route soon enough, possibly by the end of this month so that they make the change before the big traffic increase in September.

I think they also need that area on the north side of the old roundabout (currently used by the N40 to M8 traffic) back to work on the N25 - M8 link and build up the connection to that final bridge over the railway.

Regarding the rants and the questioning of the benefits of the project, personally i would love to see some proper analysis done on this. TII go through a formal appraisal process and justify the project using all sorts of metrics from safety to environmental to economics reasons etc at the start of the project. I would love to see a proper post project appraisal completed which would give us the post project outcomes and a full comparison could be done between what was predicted and what actually happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah that makes sense although would they want to reduce elements of non-car travel methods? That would help alright, its the one area that's very blocked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Tunnel to M8 north alignment to open in early September according to this mornings progress update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Google Earth has kindly overlaid the final plan on the 2022 map for people like me, not too familiar with the various links;

That’s missing the N25 east to M8 north link. Tunnel to city link will also be a bit different.

Even if you didn't want to take footpaths or all the grass, you can easily eat into the carpark there, and just shift things over. Would be a benefit for the environment in general imo as less cars stuck stationery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Coming from the Dublin/Fermoy side to Mahon in the mornings, and back towards Fermoy the evenings.

The morning run is very good. From the few times I've driven it, most drivers are being calm & considerate re merging & speeds. Thinking back to 2019 and earlier though, June to August traffic was light enough anyway. If things are still this good in two months, it will make the mornings less stressful.

The evening run isn't as good, with the main plus point being that traffic flow improves nearer the interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

For the love of God , would they ever finish link B , the tunnel to city slip road. This in my opinion should have been one of the first links to open. If you consider than the outside lane of the tunnel heading north is the slowest every single day , with traffic for the slow passage of cars backing up beyond Mahon , wouldn't it make sense to encourage a faster flow of traffic through the tunnel via this proposed improved alignment rather than the acute bend that's been there for ages . I see no good reason why this has been deliberately delayed . Maybe they are waiting to open it at the same time as link D , tunnel to M8 , to have the maximum improvement effect of traffic moving north through the tunnel ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Some of that analysis is publicly available right now. It's hefty, but for instance the journey times and expected improvements are very well laid out. I suggest if you have some time available, to have a dig through and see if you can find the metrics to refute people's questioning of the project. Page 15 or so onwards.

http://n8n25dunkettle.jacobs.com/docs/32102066_Dunkettle_EIS_VOL_1_NTS_MASTER.PDF

I personally don't have any faith whatsoever in TII's assessments and methods prior to around 2021 if I'm to be brutally honest. Many works done under their remit have been unbelievably dangerous and short-sighted, and you can even see it in (this second attempt at!) the active transport route provided in this project. I have much more positive things to say about them these days, let's be clear.

The idea that you'd put in more infrastructure to get cars in and out of Eastgate... I'm trying to be polite here so please bear with me, but just...I think that's not a good idea, basically. I really don't think more car lanes in Eastgate is going to cut it, and they only finished the last "more room for cars in Eastgate" project 3 and a bit years ago, where they took space away from pedestrians. At a certain point, "more cars" is not a viable transport strategy. Little Island reached that point long ago, and Eastgate in particular has long since reached that point.

Eastgate must be well over 70% single-car occupancy commuters. It's right next to a rail line and has a part of a bus route through it. The next thing to happen in Eastgate will be a direct bus route and cycle lanes. Then signalisation of the crompán roundabout will happen. Then maybe a pedestrian bridge to the train station (this bit is far less certain).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

That pedestrian bridge should have been provided years ago.. The station is directly opposite Keary's garage, but the "official" foot route from the station to Eastgate is a stupidly long U that adds ten minutes to the walking time. It's no surprise that when I worked out there, I'd always see people climbing through the fences to try cut at least part of the journey..

Tbf though, until there's better and reliable transport links to the train stations, they're useless. The walk from Little Island train station is long enough depending on where your office is (and Irish weather isn't ideal for it unless you're bringing changes of clothes with you) and Kent really needs the Cork Luas stuff to be done as you can't rely on buses here.

Cycling is a non runner for most people too. Imagine cycling through the tunnel 😂

Would a shuttle bus looping around Littke Island and to the train station cost much? I’d imagine it would be tiny in the grand scheme of things if all companies there pitched in.

It probably wouldnt but you've the exact same issue with the traffic. The shuttle bus is just going to be stuck in with everyone else, and then transport at Kent if going to the city is dismal so why would anyone go there and still be stuck when you can drive. Unless you live in walking distance of Kent station, you're relying on buses which is not good

You may be missing a piece of the picture. I wasn't actually pontificating in my previous post (for once!), but explaining what WILL happen next. The next thing to happen in Eastgate will be a direct bus route and cycle lanes.

The bus route will come from the Little Island West junction, go through the industrial estate from West to East, exiting Eastgate at the petrol station. So it will be going against the flow of traffic, and it will have priority. This has been approved.

Just to add: they're also going to reduce car priority in Eastgate, when they put in cycle lanes and close the entrances to some of the industrial units. More car priority is quite unlikely at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats the fundamental problem. I work out near Wilton, live in Cobh but a way away from the train station. Work is a 40 minute drive and a 15 minute walk.

The alternatives are a 10 minute drive + wait for the train, a 25 minute train journey, then at the moment a bus trip of uncertain duration - there isn't a direct bus (the 208 involves tackling the dodgy steps behind the train station). When (IF) the Luas gets done its marginally easier but still I don't think it'll tip the balance towards public transport. It just isn't reliable enough, fast enough or direct enough.

The Luas will really help but that will be fought and fought and fought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Public Transport is never gonna tip the balance in terms of travel journey, a car going from A to B for one person is rarely gonna be faster than a train/bus that's serving hundreds.

It's the cost saving of not needing a second car, the benefit of being able to read a paper/work emails on the train, and the anger of the days there's a crash on the tunnel and everyone gets frustrated. It's not for everyone and takes a while to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

The Luas will really help but that will be fought and fought and fought.

With the added benefit that by the time it’s delivered most of us will have our free travel passes when using it

We're way off topic but if you need the car at the start of your journey for a 10 minute drive, the cost/effort is sunk. Cobh should probably have a shuttle bus to/from the train IMO. In the city, even outside of the Luas we need bus priority everywhere and it's being fought tooth and nail. Save our roundabouts etc. Anyway, apologies all, we're way off topic here even though it's an enjoyable discussion.

I can bring it around by saying that its just too many commuters and too much traffic for any realistic infrastructure in Ireland to manage. With the Dunkettle upgrade, railway lines from both Cobh and Midleton.... there simply isn't enough capacity for what needs to go through this spot. No matter what we do, we can't ever "beat" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

It may be off topic, but with the frequency with which Roads and Public Transport are being pitted against each other it is very interesting and good to have some real life comparisons, not that Mary from Athenry nonsense that was in the Rail Review. Especially as the people and traffic volumes in the areas around this interchange would suggest that PT alternatives could well be viable, and indeed will need to become viable. 

I worked in Eastgate for a period, while living in Rochestown. This was pre-pandemic and pre the start of the current project roadworks. My commute via the tunnel was 12 mins (off peak) and 30 mins peak by car. Almost always as the sole occupant. The straight line distance is less than 5km. The road distance via tunnel is 11km. The road distance via city is 19km. 

I tried PT on three occasions. I was on the 216 route, with a 3 min walk from door to the bus stop. At the time the 216 terminus was in Rochestown so the service was very predictable.  The detail of the journey is as follows: Walk to 216 stop and take 216 to city centre. Walk to Kent station and take train to Little Island. Walk from station to office in Eastgate, approx. 15 mins and a grim enough walk. The average of the six journeys was 1:45.  I think the best was just about 1:30. On the last occasion, I got caught in heavy rain walking in and got soaked, despite having an umbrella and I swore never again. 

The reality for me was leaving the house at 7:15am, I could be at my desk by 7:30. Taking PT I was lucky to be there by 9:00, and feeling like I needed a shower. With the reverse on the way home. 

I appreciate that busconnets, the cork commuter rail project, the CART, greenway improvements etc etc could all make a difference. But it’s a big big gap to make up. That said, a bus doing a loop from the station to Eastgate, taking in the retail units, would be a brilliant start. Perhaps a second one serving some of the other estates, especially at peak. 

Incidentally I also tried cycling a couple of times. I wanted to but didn’t chance the tunnel on safety grounds. The cycle from Rochestown to the city is pretty decent if you use the greenway, but Little Island to the city (and visa versa) was a truly miserable and dangerous experience. 

I’ve done a similar comparison comparing a frequent trip from Rochestown to a frequent destination in Limerick CC, which again should be a prime candidate for PT given my starting and end points, and the comparison is even more horrendous. But I wont drag this even further off topic other than to say that this is the kind of detail that really needs a champion if the change that Ryan waffles on about is ever to be achieved. 

I don't have anything to disagree with in your post. 100% accurate on all fronts. I've done most of what you're describing, there's gaps all over the network. We need champions within local and national government to close the gaps you've identified. Many of the major employment centres in Cork are very badly connected by sustainable transport: Little Island, Carrigtohill, Airport, Ringaskiddy etc, and at this point from what I can see the councillors are the ones dragging their heels most: the council and NTA and TII design teams are actually doing a good job now, and everything is being fought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Fully agreed. A big challenge for PT in Ireland is the fact that so many of us not only live in the suburbs, we also work in the suburbs, i.e. a two-leg commute. That was my daily reality in Dublin from ‘99 to ‘03. 1.5h door-to-door every morning and 2h every evening made for a miserable quality of life.

I wonder is it worth getting this split off into a new thread? It seems to be a useful discussion, and so far is actually quite good and hasn't descended into a cars vs PT vs cyclists war.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a different topic for sure. But to bring it back around to the topic, that's why it's so infuriating for me to see the deign team for the Dunkettle Interchange put in such a very bad cycle route. Their justification is that "shur there's no cyclists". But it's that attitude extrapolated across the entire city that has caused Dunkettle to be a traffic bottleneck.

If they did their job properly, and the next person did their job properly and so on, then traffic on the N40 wouldn't be as bad as it is. They're actually undermining their own project's desired outcomes by refusing to provide for other modes properly.

Advertisement