Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The Rose of Tralee will eventually become the Rose of Kerry and will be held in Killarney - most likely at the INEC. A blind man can see where this is heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

The Puck Fair is already that since a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It looks to me that the fella ( Naeem Maniar) who operated the Irish Iceland franchises before Iceland pulled out of Ireland took over the Irish operation. I think his company, or companies, own Homesavers and the €2 shops. I also think that the multi-million Euro debt must have existed before he took over the Iceland stores, as the operation was only sold to him in Feb 2023, and I can't see how Iceland Ireland could have run up that much debt in only a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MaryQuiteContrary222

rumor has it that HQ Tralee have bought it & developing it into office space. Similar to the other 2 buildings they have.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Hmm...a prime retail unit on the main shopping street being converted to offices? I'm not sure that is a positive development. While it's probably better than the aforementioned vape or phone repair shops, I think offices create dead street frontage as they are closed and in darkness from 5pm every evening and all weekends... offices are fine for secondary or non retail streets but not what you want for the prime central pedestrianised shopping district of Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I think their model so far has been to rent buildings and make them into office so buying that unit, at what I assume would be a hefty price tag, would be a huge step up for them

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The sign on the window indicates that the unit has been let rather than bought. The whole building was bought not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

http://traleetoday.ie/two-music-acts-announced-for-feile-tra-li-later-this-month/

• Advertisement

Apologies, I don’t know if they bought it or are renting it. Just know they plan on developing the whole building as offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭traleelad2

Both the Wine & Dine Extravaganza and the Marty Party have been cancelled due to low or no tickets sales.

So now the only events that the Rose of Tralee are responsible for are the two selection nights which I imagine RTE has more to do with than the actual Rose of Tralee.

I heard the Marty Party was cancelled as he no longer had transport to get to Tralee........ 😜

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The rose of Tralee was advertising a daytime event in Ballygarry and charging €150 a ticket!! It wasn't a ball, but some sort of formal thing with roses etc. I don't know what they think they are doing anymore. Who is going to pay €150 for a lunch!

Looking at the brochure they seem to have indeed got rid of those events! They seem to be just having some sort of Festival Club with the Roses in the Meadowlands hotel on the Saturday night! Its really been scaled back!!

Looking from the outside it appears to be in serious trouble.

It's gone from having a tour of Ireland culminating in a full festival event in Tralee to a tour of counties that provide them with sponsorship and coming to Tralee to do 2 days of filming for RTE

Anything else going on appears to be organised by the Council and committee put in place with the Roses arriving for photo ops.

It really is a sad state of affairs when you think back to what it was.

With the rose of tralee company only organising the filming bit i would worry that there is a real risk of it being moved to inec or a Dublin studio of rte if that proves financially beneficial which would be a complete disaster

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think its nearing the end to be honest. Not sure how it can come back after this. I am sure there will be some sort of festival kept in town around the same time every year, but I think the Rose selection part is on its way out. I can't see even RTE keeping it up seeing their state of affairs!! I can see that being scrapped if they need to cut costs too.

It’s one of RTEs top watched shows and has massive streaming viewership also. I’d be thinking in terms of what that does for them and there advertisers it’ll be a while yet before RTE pull the plug.

if I see any reason why RTE might have issue is the fact that it’s losing its connection heritage and tradition with the town. There is massive history there and part of that is the street festival and celebrations. I’d imagine the rose centres around the world also can’t be too pleased with the current state of affairs. Im surprised we haven’t heard more from them. They spend all year fundraising and running events to pay for the August weekend only to be told it is substantially cut back with very little actually being organised by the Rose Of Tralee.

Hearing that Astellas in Killorglin have purchased a building in the Kerry Technology Park along with adjoining lands to build and expand a large scale pharmaceutical building. Deal worth in excess of €60million. If true it’s a massive boost for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Large viewership aside, you would wonder how long more can a 2 night televised Lovely girls competition be sustained.

And I am speaking as someone who thinks its a shame to see the Festival in its current state.

I’d say as long as the sponsors and advertisements keep rolling in………..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

The Rose of Tralee is going nowhere. It's still a big part of Irish culture.

It'll always have ups and downs.

The viewing figures are still big and it gets lots of media attention, so it'll always have sponsors.

I agree that the televised rose will be fine for another while at least, as said above good viewership and sponsors will keep rte interested and ifeven if they pulled out virgin media probably would be interested but the festival was so much more than that

Fantastic news for the town if it comes to fruition and would seem to align with the mayor saying he expected a jobs announcement soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It's dying. If you take a step back, it's a festival based on parading young women around wearing fancy dresses and judging them based on their personalities. It's a sexist, dinosaur concept that's had it's day.

Women enjoy it more than men.

It celebrates their achievements anyway, I don't see it as sexist or misogynist.

It has too much support for it to die out. RTE, people of Tralee and Kerry, the media, women etc all love it.

I think people shouldn't take it too seriously. It's kitsch and cheesy. It's just a festival.

That's the first thing I thought of when I read the post about Astellas. Would be fantastic news. Although I don't think the mayor should've said anything until it was set in stone. Remember the Global Pharmaceutical centre of excellence back in the 2000s that was supposed to bring 1000s of jobs to Tralee? Zilch happened after all the noise and anticipation!

This does seem more promising as it's an established company already located in Kerry and is in expansion mode. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I thought sponsors (or lack of) has been a growing problem, hence the Dome could no longer be afforded

Direct Rose Of Tralee sponsors maybe, apart from the good ole days I would be thinking sponsorship would always be an issue, but as long as RTE have their own sponsors and advertisers for the selection nights there is no fear of anything happening the tv aspect of the festival anyway.

Great news.

I remember the Economist Edgar Morgenroth with the ESRI was the number one reason for FDI and location of multinationals is appropriately educated workforce.

So cities have an obvious advantage but that rural towns like Killarney and Westport could sell themselves on quality of living, cheap housing etc to attract multinationals to set up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If it's true it's badly needed for the town with the loss of some major employers in the last few years

Advertisement