Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refrigerator Issue

Options
  • 03-08-2023 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

We bought a fridge in March 2020 which developed a fault in April of this year. The shop sent out a technician who determined that a component needed replacing. The shop later contacted us to say that a replacement component wasn’t available and that they would offer us a new fridge but that due to inflation fridge prices had gone up and that we would have to pay the difference in price.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that they should just replace the fridge free of charge as 3 years isn’t really that old for a fridge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Going through the same at the moment. I got a repair, which did not work and it took 6 weeks ti get it. I’ve to go to shop tomorrow ti pick out new fridge. Not sure yet if there is a price difference, but I think there might be. Mine purchased Aug 21 so less than 2 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

@shane119 they have to offer you a repair replace or refund and you dont get to choose which remedy they offer (although you dont have to accept either).

they cannot repair. if they offer you a refund the cost of a replacement fridge would be greater and you would have to put money to it, to get a fridge as good as the one you had. - is that a correct summary? In that case i would tell them you could make up the difference if they offer fridge at cost price. Might be room for compromise there.

if you went to small claims court you probably wont get a full refund, because they will *(in my expereince) pro rate it for the 3 years you had it. So i dont think you will get a better offer in small claims court. Even if you did get a full refund, you still have add money to get the new fridge. So the offer on the table appears close to the best your going to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Shane119

Fair enough. I suppose in general which of the three remedies one gets depends on what is reasonable in the circumstances. I figured that 3 years isn’t that old for a fridge (our previous one lasted 14 years), which is why I was thinking a free like-for-like replacement was appropriate. But maybe not.

Edit: yes, what you said is a correct summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Like for like would be a three year old fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Shane119

😂 Correct. Think I’ll grab their offer so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement