Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Seems to be some inferiority complex they have with Kerry and it’s players in general.

Over on the Dublin forum some posters going on about the result put Kerry ‘in their place’ whatever that means.

The roll of honour for most All-Irelands still has the kingdom with a firm lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

id say lad the Kerry fans you know are fairweather supporters.... i dont know any Kerry person who didnt rate the Dubs... we are talking about a team that has bucketfuls of all-ireland medals.. guys who have proven they can do it on the big day... exactly like the Limerick hurlers at the moment... they save their best performances for the most important days... you cant coach that.. now i thought Kerry would win but to say we'll start hating dublin even more is nonsensical... as far as i know your Cork and the bitterness by ye towards Kerry is million times worse then any bitterness by Kerry towards Dublin... i certainly dont have it... i mean twasnt dublins fault that gavin white gave away ball for goal or that tom sullivan kicked a garyowen for no reason.. or clifford hit 4 wides under little or no pressure... Dublin had less wides and made less mistakes than Kerry in 2nd half especially and won match... basically they showed more composure - a great sign of a team...

the kerry chairman has a point about umpires.. there are numerous incidents like that in every game and umpires just pretend not to see it.. they cant be just picking and choosing the incidents they see.... personally i would have left play go on... the 2 yellow cards was a joke... he could have picked a better time to say it rather straight after a defeat like that...

the defeats hurt - they should... but apart from dublin 2011 final where we were comfortable and let it slip... we were 2nd best in all other finals... especially '05 against tyrone and '15 against dublin

youd be better off my friend concentrating on your own county team... there are signs the Cork hurlers are coming... although to be fair your not as bitter towards Kerry as Shamobuc... whos posts last Sunday were disgraceful they were so laced with bitterness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Fair play to Mick Fitzsimons in fairness. Cute head. A less experienced lad would have moaned about it to the ref, and the ref would tell him to shut up. And the umpires would have done nothing (as usual). But by running over to the umpires and shouting and waving the arms, he forced a decision in Goughs head that he should speak to the umpires, and then overruled his own decision. A huge moment in the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

The roll of honour for most All-Irelands still has Kerry with a firm lead, indeed it does

But thankfully the gap is closing and Kerry havn't beaten Dublin in an All Ireland final since 1985 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

Would you say Kerry were second best in 2019? That's game was there for the taking too by Kerry. Probably had a chance there of coming away with a victory in my view in the first game.

I have no hatred of Kerry like you said, I like Kerry football actually and attend alot of Kerry championship games as there is always a great buzz about it and highly competitive. I try to keep up on Kerry GAA as much as Cork GAA as I have a divided interest in both counties, Yes I know Cork haven't won anything in a long time but I can only hope they come back again soon on both codes. We always get reminded of that by the Kerry fans and friends with a bit of banter.

When I say that Kerry fans can be bitter, I was in Killarney the day of the ROK and I was watching the Kerry v Tyrone game on the big screen in car park. I couldn't get over the amount of Kerry fans that were shouting "lets beat these fc@kers out the gate now" when Seanie O Shea scored the 2nd goal. Every horrible thing towards Tyrone. It was real bitterness. Many of the Kerry guys I know said afterwards you couldn't beat that shower by enough. I wondered have Tyrone really ruffled their feathers that much that they hate them that much? They obviously don't like you when you are beating them. Tyrone have beaten Kerry 4 times since 2000. But Kerry have also beaten Tyrone 4 times since 2000. I don't understand it. I would have thought is was a respectable rivalry between the two counties but it's more than that. It's bitterness.

Coming up to the final some of my Kerry friends were cautious of Dublin but many others were super confident and thought Dublin hadn't a hope this year. I didn't know what they were basing this on. Possibly the fact that Kerry got over the line in 2022 against Dublin and thought they would sail through this time. I didn't believe Dublin would win myself and proved me wrong. This is a great Dublin team and it has to be said whether people like them or not. They have produced the goods time and time again.

Post edited by Seadin on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Who cares, there's a load of bitter gobshites supporting every county, and these are the ones that shout the loudest.

Rivallry is one thing, but i don't pay attention to anyone actively revelling in the defeat of any other team. Its pathetic stuff, esp when their entire participation is watching on tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

the kerry chairman has a point about umpires.. there are numerous incidents like that in every game and umpires just pretend not to see it.. they cant be just picking and choosing the incidents they see.... personally i would have left play go on... the 2 yellow cards was a joke...

But thats not how it played out.

Gough gave a Kerry free because he saw Fitzsimons tangle with Clifford, then Fitzsimons reaction gave him enough pause to make it worth asking the umpires opinion. The umpire told him what he had seen, which was that Clifford started it. At point he has already stopped play so has to restart it somewhere, but it would be disgracefully unfair to continue with a Kerry free knowing that the Kerry man was the offender. The only real option available is what he did.

The umpires didn't pick and choose anything, had Gough not went to them they would have stood and done **** all like they always do.

If the Kerry chairman doesn't understand that then he may not be suited to the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,213 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The last two sentences of your post really sum up where we are:

This is a great Dublin team and it has to be said whether people like them or not. They have produced the goods time and time again.

They also explain the extra bitterness from Kerry supporters this time out. This wasn't just a normal loss to Dublin, this was confirmation that this Dublin team are the greatest the game has seen and eclipse the 1975-1986 Kerry team.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The RTE Podcast - three journos, Ciaran Whelan and Tomas O'Se dissect the AI and the implications going forward

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Advertisement

Your team won an AI and you still can’t be gracious in victory.

This imaginary ‘Kerry bitterness’ only exists in your head.

Better hope Clifford doesn’t get PoTY or else I feel for your mental state!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Gael85

Yes. He was Jim Gavin no 2 up to 2015 but then had to step away due family commitments. How did it go with Ashbourne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,213 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The Clifford campaign for PoTY reminds me of the Mayo campaign for David Clarke (remember him?) to get an All-Star ahead of Cluxton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I doubt Clifford himself cares if he wins POTY or not.

I don't know why it's such a talking point this year. Most years it fly's under the radar.

Gooch never won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

They had one of their worst seasons ever, just avoided relegation and he was given the road lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

If it's deluded people are saying Clifford is the best ever, then let's talk about the delusion of Dubin fans, when in his first couple of seasons, were saying Fenton was the best ever? The same guy who lived in Jack Barry's pocket for years, and who this year only emerged from his pocket after he left the field.... ye that Brian Fenton!

Pull the other one. This "best of all time" stuff is premature I agree, but with Clifford, it's based on him repeatedly doing things few others have had the ability to do, like Canning in hurling. When Fenton was being called the GOAT, is was nonsense, him being a consistent player in a team that would of won regardless, with or without him. And any half test he had, he failed.

So let's not even start to compare Fenton and Clifford, on any level. One is a well rounded consistent midfielder who often goes quite under real scrutiny, the other is a player capable of things few others have ever had the ability to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

He's right to be honest. It's one of my big issues with Goughs calling of this. They often aren't for that much, and it goes on all the time!

But if he's looking for consistency on it, we'd barely have the ball in play the way it's played now 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You had generally had loads of good commentary to contribute to the GAA world Blanch. Insightful comments. But you have let yourself down a bit over the past week with some of your comments. It's hard to understand why you cannot just celebrate your countys win, and reflect on a great performance in the final. But no, you just want to takes swings at other players and countiies - Kerry, Mayo, Clifford etc. When you think about it, there is no need for it at all. The rest of us are just waiting the long stretch until the league starts again (with a bit of club action in between to keep the appetite alive). But ye guys should be elated. Not giving digs.

On David Clifford. Great player. I made a comment before that if the greatest play ever was judged on their first 6 years at senior intercounty, I think he would rank at number one. From what I have seen anyway. But like many others have said, he hasn't enough seasons under his belt to be labeled the greatest ever of all time. But comments of putting medals on the table and medals in the back pocket mean nothing. The likes of Davy Byrne has 8 all Ireland medals (I think), and how many times has he got roasted - in the past 2 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Was exactly my thoughts when I watched the game back when I got home. To be expected from Jack. To congratulate us might mean accepting he made a balls of it.

He was the best manager in the game I was told when they won it last year, and when he won it the last time out...

Bang of Leo Cullen off the decision tbh. It stood to him, and it stood to Dessie.

At this point there's no inferiority complex there buck. A complete and utter dislike, but no inferiority.

I grew up in an era of the Meath/Dublin/Cork trinity, the Ulster wave in my formative years and then the second Ulster wave in my 20s. Kerry's noughties run was the only time they mattered, and they were still a shower.

Beating Kerry is obviously the most joyous of occasions in Gaelic football. How could it not be?

As regards the roll of honour, imagine how many ourselves, Galway, Mayo, Meath and Down would have if they spent most of the history of the championship careening through the juggernauts of Limerick, Tipperary, Clare and Waterford every summer. We're only 7 behind and I tell ya, the collective meltdown when we catch up is going to be beyond anything. I can't wait. The 5-in-a-row against them was special, but catching up to them... oooh... matron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

I think there good chunk of Dublin's 31 AI's populated by non Dubs (Even Kerrymen and the like) up to around the 50's, or so that why Heffernan bringing in the Dublin identity was a sea change.

I don't know the facts of figures but maybe someone can tell me how many of those sort of AI teams there were? Obviously the later you go back the more prevalent it was.

To me beating Kerry in an AI it is like winning two all irelands, they have all that pedigree/tradition etc, plus when Dublin win one it is one closer to Kerry's total of 38 - and one less Kerry could have won.

Thankfully the group stages that were introduced add some sort of fairness to the AI now. To have two of the better teams in the country each in the weakest provinces sort of makes it farcical IMO. Hopefully this the beginning of the provincials being phased out - bit by bit.

Which post in particular?

I remember I was a GAA Irish language do thing (done very well all sorts of speakers) Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh was at it - I think he went over time going on about his favourite players from each decade.

Anyway they were going back through the history of the GAA back through even further then that as well, another fella played audio of a played that played for Dublin in the 1920's/1930's or whatever - with the thickest Kerry accent you could could get. Won an All Ireland or two with Dublin. I nearly fell off me chair. As me heart sunk.

It wouldn't happen now I said to me-self! Most people these days probably would not even think of the make up of Dublin teams way back. As it is has faded from living memory now. And it is not really spoken about. But is just a fact.

As for the provincials comment am I wrong? They are farcical, even by the number of teams two many in Leinster, too few in Connacht and Munster - it is not just the lack of real competition.

Even Connacht only really means something to Sligo/Roscommon at this stage IMO. I can remember Sligo won it few years back and they did a sports documentary it was massive for them. But how often is it going to happen realistically? And do the provincials matter anymore given the format changes, all the way back since the back door.

People say Ulster is grand - competitive but the problem is they all play a very similar style copying each other (defensive counter attacking) which on occasion does not make for good viewing for some. So the contrast of styles v the Ulster side only really comes in the group stages now.

• Advertisement

AND in the meantime enjoy been 2nd best long may it continue :)

Advertisement