Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks I wasn’t sure if the standard was still the same back then.

if anyone fancies the wheels let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

More of a general query than maintenance.

I was thinking of throwing some gravel tyres on my road ebike and going off road. Anything to be concerned about? Geometry is similar to gravel bikes and clearance for 32-35mm tyres.

It probably gets more abuse with the speeds I've hit potholes and speed bumps over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just make sure you’ve enough clearance for any muck/gunk that could build up depending what kind of off-road bits you’re doing

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

My headset has a bit of a grinding feeling. Presumably the bearing are kaput?

I’ve never serviced one before - is it something worth having a bash at at home or it’s particularly tricky in some way? I would just plan to watch some YouTube’s and follow along. Are the specific bearings fairly standard or specific to every brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Depends on your bike. If you give a make and model, you'll get better info

• Advertisement

It’s a Cervelo R3 disc

There's sealed bearings in that headset, so I would rank that as an easy job, with the caveat that I've no idea what your DIY or mechanical skillset is 😁.

Personally, I'd have no qualms about attempting that job.

Park Tool YouTube channel is the usual go to for service videos, but there's plenty of them online, including some older GCN Tech videos, I think.

Great stuff! My willingness to give it a bash far exceeds my mechanical skills but over time the gap closes a bit. Will order the bearings set and give a go. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Im thinking of going for an 11-30t intead of my usual 28t cassette, I'd usually measure the chain off the old one, wondering how many extra links should I add for the 30t? Is there a way of calculating it (front is a 52 36 if this info is of any use, medium cage also)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If its Shimano, probably none unless the rear derailleur looks stretched while in the 28t. I'd add one in to cover myself but possibly unnecessary.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Are you adding new links to your existing/old chain? IMO, that’s not a good idea. If you’re buying a new cassette you should also buy a new chain. Put the chain on the largest chainring and the largest sprocket. Then once you fit the chain, the derailleur jockey wheels should be pulled slightly forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Thanks guys, yep, usually measured new chain off the old chain and cut, I'm gonna cut it to the same length I reckon, rear derailleur doesn't look overstretched on its current set up i don't want the chain bouncing around on the lower cogs if it's too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I used the big/big method from a GCN video https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/video/how-to-calculate-the-correct-chain-length-road-bike-maintenance

I think the one I watched had Simon rather that Dan, but the principal is the same

Basically thread the new chain through the front derailleur, skip the rear, and over the big sprocket/large ring. Pull it tight and add an extra link (making sure to take account of how you're joining them)

Is there any difference between Shimano MTB cranks? Looking at a cheap power meter for the MTB, are all non drive side axles the same or is there any differences to be aware of? It's Deore XT 12 speed. Are road cranks the same axle? My cranks are Orbea's own brand, if road cranks are the same axle as MTB then I can test fit the crank arm, if not I'll just scrap the whole idea as I'm not buying Deore cranks too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't know the Orbea cranks but provided they are rip off Shimano hollowtech, they will be fine, make sure you measure cranklength and if there is a major change in Q factor (despite what some experts tell you, a small one will make no difference). Can you take a picture of the non drive side where it attaches to the bottom bracket?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Frank11

My current set up is: 11 speed 50/34 MA and 11-25t. Derailleur is RD-6800 short cage (ss).

I want to change the cassette for some easier climbing (tour de beara, 120km route). Would I notice a big difference in a 11-30t or maybe 11-32t?

The problem is the short cage won’t fit a 30t or 32t. The recommended max is 28t. Is there any way to extend the cage?

I cannot find shimano medium or long cage places to replace the short ones. I have seen a derailleur hanging plate extension like the wolf tooth. Will this do the job? 

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

r8000 derailleur will work. Available cheaper elsewhere. That's only if you want to keep it Ultegra

There's also someone on adverts selling a long cage 6800 derailleur that I have no affiliaton to

https://www.adverts.ie/bike-group-sets/ultegra-6800-rear-derailleur-front-derailleur-grx-rx-810/31056821

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Frank11

Thanks, I was trying to keep the cost down but I think this will be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

Can someone recommend a good start-up Bike Maintenance kit where I can pick one up online? I find I don't have the tools for minor problems, and have left my bike in for repairs for bits i feel i could do myself

• Advertisement

Bike kits like this one from Decathlon can be found on lots of bike shop websites, Amazon etc.

However, they tend to be pricey for what's in them. If you already have screwdrivers and Allen keys, I always found the best way to put a tool kit together was to buy the tools as and when a job requires them.

Changing your cassette. Buy the chain whip and cassette tool. You now have them for future jobs. Pretty soon you'll have a decent kit put together

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

You'd ride up a vertical wall with a 34/28 so consider changing just the cassette

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

them's fighting words. i've 34/28 as my granny gear and have wished for easier..

*cries in 34/32*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

So just back with my bike from a holiday in Lake Garda. Taking my bike out of travel case and putting it back together. The back wheel is now not spinning freely when the thru axle is tightened. I'm in no doubt the bearings could probably use a service but the wheel was fine on my spins, it seems to spin fine forward but when I spin it backwards it is very stiff and sticky.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Someone needs to combine a turbo trainer with a wheel truing jig. 2 jobs done with one device.

It wouldnt take much work to add a couple of adjustable arms for the truing. They could even be removable!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Mounted the wheel with no disc rotor. Made no difference to it.

I think it has to be something in the hub / bearing caps as it is fine until the axle is tightened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Folks i have a very basic question...can i replace a worn KMC X11 EL chain with a standard X11 ? Also do people like SRAM alternatives for this or KMC is the best ? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement