Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the rest of the country dislike Dublin so much?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Listen, if you're going to start breaking down what stays in each county the country would be bereft without Dublin. Not only is it the economic powerhouse supplementing the rest of the country but almost 50% of the countries veg is grown in county Dublin. There's plenty of farming & food production you're unaware of around the county. Dublin would be a huge huge winner with your scenario.

Right now there's a protest over the Shannon flooding but when there was a proposal to pump flood water from the Shannon during flooding to a reservoir to supply water to Wicklow, Kildare & Dublin there were protests!

You couldn't actually make it up. Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Dublin is the natural enemy of rural Ireland given its history in the Pale and previous to that being a Viking stronghold but then again other towns were Viking settlements too. I think it is because people dislike urban people. I dislike Belfast and most of the Belfast people I have met.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Cork (next in size) is a bit small. Belfast is a city in scale, but is in another country even if people don't like that being pointed out!

I think it is inarguable there has been much too much of that kind of development allowed. Not enough effort made to control it because doing so is politically unpopular. (Also, and related) there has been no effort by the govt. to just bite the bullet and pick 1-2 alternative urban centres to focus urban investments/infrastructure on that they can control. As per my last post on this thread - we have a rural govt. for a rural people so why invest heavily in (non Dublin) urban areas?

When the govt. is directing funds for investment, everyone in the audience has to have a little bit or it is not fair (edit: and maybe political death!). So you get stuff like a "decentralisation" project picking loads of different locations for moving the civil servants out of Dublin based on political patronage, shoring up Dáil seats and a so called "spatial strategy" again with a load of crucial "hubs" (edit: and "gateways") or whatever it was (instead of picking 1-2 other small "cities" to try and divert development towards, and away from Dublin to bulk them up).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tell it to me arse

You’re completely wrong. There’s very little I can’t stand. But vulgarity and ostentatious displays are one. Sure it’s a joke, but some of the people in question replicate what he talks about and feel rewarded that it is said about them. And he perpetuates it.

He eggs on these people to do the stupifying things that he outlines in his books. He perpetuates a vulgar Ireland which these people believe in. They are his target market not the people critical of that lifestyle. That’s not satire it’s an obscure form of worship. He’s part of their PR machine. A cog in it.

I have no obsession with power but I know the people in Blackrock power is their raison d’etre. FF, Ireland and God is everything to them but the fury they hold onto these beliefs with results in a mutation of those forms. 

You also seem to have a wierd admiration for Paul Howard. Almost like he is a vital part of your daily intake. You claim self-deprecation on behalf of his targets but that is not how it works in reality. These people are greedy who like him and they perpetuate the Ireland he talks about. Tubridy a prime example. Not me though I’m a happy citizen watching this circus unfold in real life like the one he outlines in his books.

Now your barbs at me have derailed the thread but I will sign off here and not rise to your bait any more.

Post edited by Tell it to me arse on

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

It's not that we have a problem with it being pointed out. It is a problem when people point it out just to try to irritate Irish nationalists which is what most people do from my experience. Let's face it, island nationalists are some of the most disliked people in your strange modern Ireland.

• Advertisement

"Island Nationalists"? The what now? My "strange modern Ireland"? There's (honestly) no coded messages in what I posted. I really wasn't trying to irritate anyone there but I suppose that is unavoidable posting publically, with all kinds of people reading it.

edit: if it was flippant remark about Belfast, all I meant is that it would be a natural second city + a Dublin "alternative" (think it is still a good bit larger than Cork, Limerick, Galway say) but history & politics prevents that.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

@fly_agaric "As per my last post on this thread - we have a rural govt. for a rural people"

That was incorrect the first time you said it, and it's still incorrect now. The rural population of Ireland doesn't even make up majority of the non-Dublin population, never mind a majority of the overall electorate. Only 31% of the population is classified as rural by the CSO, and even that is generous, as it includes people living in housing estates in places like Claregalway, only 6km from the main Galway city employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Even Dublin, the city not the metro area, is relatively small. The rest of the "cities" in Ireland are cities in name only, they are more like large towns. If a place is attractive for companies to set up, they will, but they also need to be able to attract the employees to the location.

Sorry, but I have no idea why you've addressed that comment at me, and even less clue what it might have to do with your previous post where you laughably implied that "people insist on building one off houses in the middle of nowhere on their parents land" was somehow representative of how the average person outside Dublin lives, which was the comment of yours I took issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Boards had been a bit mah lately but this thread is hilarious.

I love Dublin, Cork is a second favorite, every year for my birthday we go into town say to a hotel, and go for dinner starting early in the day and go to an exhibition follow that by a few drinks somewhere like the Stags head I like Dame lane, the pub will depend on where we are staying so could be any pub from Baggot st on, then a cocktail and a nice dinner. There is nowhere like town for an occasion night out wouldn't go near temple bar though.

We do the same a week or two before Christmas as well but in the winter it has to be a pub with a fire so I can sit and read the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Id like to recommend Nealons in Caple Street for the open fire , may be a bit lively in the evenings but on a winter evening with that fire .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It's not a different country at all. A different jurisdiction. It's not part of either England, Scotland or Wales. GB or the UK are not a couunty.

Local property tax should reflect the cost of delivering services in the area, including things like schools with small numbers of pupils, broadband etc. At the moment rural people think Dublin gets everything and on the flip side people in Dublin don't like subsidising areas with ribbon developments. I get that it is cheap to build on your parents land, but it shifts the cost onto others.

@Unrealistic Interesting, thought it would be higher. Was trying to come up with a concise way to express something about people + politics in Ireland (that I still think I am right about) but not the best wording given your statistic.

@saabsaab there's always one...a "country" in everyday English is a nation state. I think "country" as one of 3 political/admin. subdivisions/regions in the UK (edit: formerly including entirety of this island as 4th) is the more obscure meaning, certainly for people not from the UK. I was not referring to that, and I wasn't writing some legal document just a throwaway post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I Like Dublin, lots of happy memories experienced there.

But it is severely underperforming in terms of what a city should or could be. I now live in a northern European city and the difference in terms of the lived experience is light years ahead of Dublin. The city center here is heavily populated with very decent quality housing and it is a very pleasant experience to travel to, from and through the city with a wide range of public transport accessible with a single card payment system.

In terms of climate, this place isn't much different to Dublin, and terrace sitting outside bars/cafes/restaurants make a massive difference in the vibe around the city center compared to what exists in Dublin right now. And granted I'm a male so I don't have to consider everything that others do but I feel absolutely 100% safe here at any time of day or night.

Since I've moved here (was in the US before here), I've thought a lot about Irish cities and how they could be more appealing, and rewarding for those who live there but there seems to be a culture of individuality in Ireland rather than 'the greater good' and I think councils/boards/government in Ireland can't get out of their own way to improve the quality of life for everyone in a cooperative fashion.

Dublin could still be Dublin (and Cork-Cork, Limerick-Limerick, Galway-Galway) while still benefiting from practices that are proven elsewhere.

What I do dislike about Dublin is the fact that 40% of the population of the country resides in the Greater Dublin area. If we could go back in time 40 years, I'd much rather if we had seen the other big cities (and large towns) take about 1M of those people and spread them across the country more evenly. And that we had planned for and facilitated this in terms of infrastructure, planning, construction, healthcare, amenities etc etc etc.

It's a bit grand to call it a 'country'. It's not even a province more of a statelet with internal divisions not a 'country' with a long established unified history and historically recognised borders. Calling it a country is giving it a status it doesn't merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭AX612

I'm a Dub and have to admit I'd rather any other county. I'm out of Dublin more than in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its easier for young couples to win the Lotto than get PP to build on parents land these days thanks to Ryan and those fooking Greens.

Well that is a good thing, it would be a lot cheaper to deliver broadband etc if we didn't have the kind of ribbon developments that were allowed to happen in rural areas. People should be allowed build if on the edge of a town or village, but not in the middle of nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Depends which part of the country, I live in rural Galway and I’ve never lived anywhere which such loose planning, bachelor neighbour sold three sites on his farm to three blow ins since 2013 , one from Lithuania, they stick them in every bog road imaginable in east Galway , just would not happen elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Lots of reasons why the rest of the country don`t like Dublin. The RTE debacle is a miniscule example of why. Ye keep the best paid, cushy, unaccountable state and semi-state jobs for yourselves. You tax us and give yourselves all the infrastructure, metros, luases, darts and we get your secondhand busses (with Dublin reges to rub it in). When people follow their money to Dublin, pushing up land prices there, you build a motorway right through the thick of it just so every back garden you cut through is an excuse to make the owner a millionaire. I could go on but duty calls. Enjoy my taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's the other way around. Dublin subsidises most of the country. Anything build in the city is paid for by the city, the rest of the money flows out. It's the same everywhere, Paris, London etc... large cities always have done so, it's basic national economics. Your hatred of Dublin is all based on a falsity.

I could turn around and say "enjoy my taxes" but it's an obnoxious thing to say.

It is absolute nonsense. The cost of delivering services in rural areas is much higher. If you want to have a train service, you might want to live close to other people. We have had Dublin property taxes being sent to rural areas, maybe you should be paying a proper amount of property tax that reflects the cost of delivering services? Is it efficient to have schools with 50 pupils? How much is it costing per house for regional broadband? I think we would be quite happy to pay for our services if you pay for yours.

Well nobody is suggesting a luas service on Dursey Island but hoarding everything in Dublin is not smart. It is also inconsidderate. The national children`s hospital did not have to be in such a central location unless it`s true purpose was to serve Dublin and not the nation. Other small countries like Switzerland and Rwanda use their whole country, ministries and state bodies are not all hoarded in the same city as the parliament.

If you want me to pay higher property taxes, I want a luas service nearby to increase the value of my house and for my convenience. If you think a school with 50 pupils is not good value, then shut the department of finance and central bank and relocate them next to the school so that those employed there will require a bigger school which will then give you the efficiacy you are looking for. If your concern is the support services for the Central bank and DOF, no prob, just relocate them all to the same location and the school will need to be bigger again. How is that for value?

More crude reductionism. The cost of delivering services in rural areas can indeed be higher but that is irrelevant if the services aren't actually being delivered. My own aunt is a good example, she lives in house with water accessed from a group water supply, and operates her own waste filtration system, she has no refuse collection and doesn't even have street lighting, broadband is still a couple of years away based on the most recent info. She pays more for the group water supply and waste filtration system then many urban householders pay for property tax. Yet urban households get both these services for free and also get street lighting, varying levels of subsidised public transport, libraries, sporting facilities, museums, theatres, etc.

My aunt effectively gets zero local services but still has to pay for local property tax.

Anyone who makes absolutist claims about Dublin subsidising the the rest of the country, or vice versa, clearly hasn't spent much time thinking about it. It is a much more nuanced situation than that. As has been pointed out above, the concentration of state sector jobs in Dublin is itself a massive subsidy. Then, when you look at something like Croke Park, which was subsidised by the state in excess of €100m, how do you count the benefit of that to Dublin and to the rest of the country? Do Dublin residents make up a greater proportion of visitors than their proportion of the population? Even if the don't, do they derive a greater benefit from it, by virtue of being able to access it quickly and easily on subsidised public transport, in comparison to their fellow tax payers from other parts of the country who have to drive long distances and pay a fortune for petrol and parking?

The reason property tax rates are higher, on average, in Dublin is because property values are higher, on average, in Dublin. The reason property values are higher in Dublin is because of more desirable facilities available locally and because of more attractive economic opportunities (significantly from public funding). It's not a perfect distribution. It certainly doesn't work out well for my aunt, nor for a teacher living in Dublin on the same pay as a teacher living in north Mayo with a fraction of the outgoings. But anyone making over simplified claims about one part of the country subsidising another, without stopping to consider these obvious factors, is talking rubbish.

• Advertisement

I’m being sarcastic, I’m Dublin born and living and working in the city centre , its drivel .

Advertisement