Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange New Worlds S2-E9 "Subspace Rhapsody" Warning may contain spoilers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Maybe it's not David. Maybe she loses this one and keeps the next pregnancy secret from James.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,291 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I had a feeling someone would say something like that. Everything can be explained away just like Discovery fans used to do. Would be a hell of a lot easier to just not have that line though because it served no purpose and of course people are going to think it's about David.

It makes an absolutely massive change to TWoK and also Kirk who now has most likely abandoned a child rather than not knowing he exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I don't think it makes much of a change to WoK at all. I went to see it in the cinema a few weeks ago, and to be fair it was a different cut, but as far as I recall Kirk was taken aback by the fact it was David, but not by the fact he had a son. He said to Carol that he stayed away like she asked, which pretty much tells us that he knew he had a kid with her, but Carol didn't want him involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

Because SNW has built up some good will by not being terrible. But specifically there's the possibility given Kirk's lifestyle, which was brought up in this episode, Carol tells him she lost/terminated David.

Ya maybe. Still no need to have that line at all. And the crew having to sing together to save the day was as shte and cheesy as anything Discovery ever done. For me there isnt much good will left in the bank especially after 3 appearances of that awful Kirk.

In other news I found out this morning that Christina Chong has a proper album out with music videos and all that.

Eh, while I like David Jason, and I know he was a big fan of Discworld so kept doing the shows, I was not a fan of David Jason in the Discworld shows! Might be the reason why Going Postal is the only one I kind of like....

She was like a lovesick puppy in TOS and Spock had completely reverted to being Vulcan and all but rejecting his Hoomon side.

Could be the catalyst for that but it does make Spock a bit of an incel

I found it hard going and I'm not against musicals at all but but but I lost it with the Klingon boy band sequence. Completely understand why they were ready to launch everything at the anomoly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yeah, it was annoying because it makes it sound like Kirk is saying I would definitely give you one if it wasn't that my part time girlfriend is pregnant. Only looking back I realise how bad that sounded. A simple, I would only I am in a relationship at the minute, it is going well, and I am not that type of guy. Gives her more respect for him, he looks like a decent bloke, job done.

I f Carol does pretend to lose the baby, or does lose it and keeps the subsequent secret, Trek is really doubling down on fathers not having any rightt o know that they are actually fathers

Let's be fair about canon. They are using the Temporal Cold War effects to say that there are changes baked into the timeline.

It's been a soft reboot but a reboot none the less

They are not saying that at all. That was never said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Liked it for what it was. Was no Once More With Feeling but that's a high bar, as far as I'm concerned.

But disappointed they didn't use the Klingons showing up as an opportunity for Uhura to sing about "Klingons on the Starboard bow" (after typing that I read back and see it was already mentioned, dang it)

What happened the dancing Klingon ships at the end after the explosion? Were they destroyed? Would seem that would cause problems.

At least this fits in with Strange New Worlds. Imagine if it was in Picard as originally conceived

There was something about shifting timelines in Picard season 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wait TWOK was in the cinema again and you never told aby of us in here. Was there many at it? What cinema was it? Why was it in the Cinema?

I am looking forward to seeing Generations in the Cinema next year :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I know they done TMP and TWoK remastered in the cinema a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I seen TMP for free around 2019 I think it was in the IFI. Got lucky there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

WoK was in the cinema in Ireland last year in Limerick and Dublin for the 40th anniversary. It was in my local cinema abroad recently, so I got to see it after missing out last year!

Yes they are. Kahn is now in the 2100s and not having a war in the 1990s so they are going to tie that into WW3. They have committed, to canon, that the temporal cold war did make changes to the know timeline

A change of that size will have reprucussions throughout the time. They are timey wimeying it and it's the same "universe" but they have baked in wiggle room for themselves when it comes to canon, from here on

• Advertisement

Even the recent time travel episode codified it and mentioned the Temporal Cold War specifically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭squonk

For what it’s worth, I know there a lot of hate for the Klingon Boy Band on here and I can see why. Personally I’m wondering why they weren’t doing Klingon opera. In a weird way I thought it was inspired. We were so far down the musical rabbit hole by then that reinventing the Klingon crew as a K-Pop boy band was daft and extremely funny.

I think one outing for Kirk this season was justified. They leaned into it too much though and he didn’t need any episodes after the time travel one. To me if seemed logical that whatever La’an felt, she couldn’t act on it. I didn’t think there was much of a story beyond that. No need to mention Carol and Kirk could go about his life pre TOS.

I’d hsfe preferred this musical number 😀

That wasn't the temporal cold war it was Wesley. He says so in his cameo at the end of Picard.

And if the timeline changed and SNW doesn't match up to TOS then it is a different timeline which it has been made clear by the showrunners that this and Disco are the prime timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

Kirk knew about his son in TWoK. His first line to Carol is “is that David?”, then later “I did what you wanted, I stayed away. Why didn’t you tell him?”

It was David that didn’t know about Kirk, not the other way around.

I don't mind what they were singing but I thought it looked absolutely terrible. It reminded me of Sci-fi channel Dune levels of bad.

The recent time travel episode had the Romulan agent explicitly blame the TCW on the fact that Kahn was delayed by over 30 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭corkie

@breezy1985 @[Deleted User] As discussed in the episode thread.

My post from that thread.

@PhiloCypher what's the significance of the close up of the watch at the end I wonder .

Used as a prop in this episode to connect the episodes.

Post edited by corkie on

I’d forgive them on this occasion as the segment was a 10-15 second on screen one and I’d imagine tge regular Klingon chstjves see designed to look bulky and ‘hard’ and if you want dancing Klingons they need something more flexible .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,270 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Would anyone consider Kirk a decent guy around the ladies, based on what we saw during TOS???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Acosta

I think I'm done with this silly show.

People wanted #realTrek and they got it.

One week it's amazing and the next week people are turning into salamanders or doing this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Acosta

If people are enjoying then good for them. Some of it is ok. The cast are pretty good, a lot of the stories and ideas are fine, but overall the writing is too silly. The characters sound like teenagers half the time. Some of them, all the time. I would watch more Matalas Trek, otherwise I'll hold on until maybe they finally dump Kurtzman and co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,619 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On the musical front, I'm remembering there was a sort of musical interlude in Picard season 2 when Alison Pill / Jurati belted out a cover of the 80s song Shadows of the Night.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,619 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Play "Night Bird"!

Blue skies...

Sadly if they dump Kurtzmann it will probably mean no more Trek for a while because the shows are made by his company Secret Hideout for Paramount so depending on who owns the assets and contracts replacing him could be very costly for struggling Paramount.

One big disappointment in SNW is the characters still sound like Disco characters

• Advertisement

Hmm, could you imagine a Discovery musical episode? Everyone singing depressing songs with the finale number being about how their emotions solved everything and it's all thanks to Michael, who's the greatest. And will be the bookend to the opening number about how great Michael is.

Yesterday we had 2 songs about being lonely, a song about breaking up with someone, a song about being broken up with, a song about maybe breaking up and then everyone had to hold hands and sing a big song together.

Outside of Burnham it was pretty fekin Discovery.

They really don't know what to do with Ortegas. Her song was literally her whole character.

" I am the pilot, I fly the ship, I sit in the pilot seat" 🤣 (might not be the exact words)

Bloody hell you really don't like that people like this show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mr Worf, are you familiar with Gilbert & Sullivan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'm not a musical fan ... AT ALL ... as I find listening to song lyrics, which are part of the actual dialogue to be difficult for me. When I listen to music, I tend to focus more on the instrumental and rhythm rather than the lyrics, which I tend to tune out.

So that was kind of a difficult watch because I missed so much dialogue. I'll need to re-watch and force myself to focus on the lyrics.

Having said that, musically the cast were good to excellent and they carried off all the moves in a very musical way. I thought Uhura and Spock were head and shoulders above the rest. I see others mention Christina Chong having a singing career on the side, but I thought she was one of the weaker voices. The very end of the big finale felt very "real", with the chatter amongst the cast after the rift disappeared. It was nice to see that they enjoyed it.

Not Kirk has dis-improved again - I didn't think much of him this episode.

The great shame of Klingon BTS was freakin hilarious. My dogs jumped when I roared with laughter.

I'll decide what I think of this after a rewatch when I've figured out everything that was said (sang), but I think it will be reasonably positive.

God I think people are too negative on here. SNW is far, far removed from discovery. I’ve watched a fair bit of Star Trek over the years and had the chance to watch much of it first time it was shown. SNW feels to me very much like proper trek. I don’t find myself making excuses for it and absolutely don’t feel Like I’m only watching it because it’s on. I’d say that about Discovery and Picard. In fact Discovery I literally just stopped watching. It was that bad.

I wasn’t crazy about the musical and only liked it more than than the Lower Decks episode. All the ST shows have had their stupid non-core-trek episodes. Off the top of my head I can think of that TNG Q Robin Hood episode, and the TOS episode with the space hippies who nearly took over the ship. TNG had several more and season 3 of TOS is pretty dreadful relative to the first two.

With ten episode seasons you really feel the effect of a poor or filler episode though. With the old 22 episode seasons you could let a few filler or downright bad episodes slide because there was still enough room for great episodes. This season of SNW we’ve taken a big hit because we’re down 3 episodes lost to whims. The La’an/Kirk time travel episode was a bottle ep and then they awful lower decks crossover and now the musical. For the crossover and musical I felt the characters were out of whack. It’s all just more self indulgence on behalf of the showrunners than anything else. Ultimately we’re left with 7 episodes of a 10 episode season to give us what we actually want. I’d probably tolerate these more if they were treated as specials and we weren’t sacrificing valuable season episodes for it.

I’ll still watch SNW though. I’ve sat through enough bad trek to know when it’s good.

• Advertisement

Has anyone come across a link to a site with the lyrics?

Best I found is this where they take out quotes:-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭santana75

This makes "Fair Haven" look like The Godfather

Has Ortegas had an episode to herself yet? She seems to be the only one left we know very little about. Uhura has saved the day twice this season and Think all we got for Ortegas is she was disappointed at not being able to go on a mission.

If you mean me I really like this show.

I'm just critical of it when I think its bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement