Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandatory sentencing (or some punitive/exclusion measure) for compulsive/pathological re-offenders?

Options
  • 04-08-2023 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

The types that simply have no deterrent to stop committing whatever crime they've committed 10's to 100's of times?

The type that spend their entire life in and out of jail where the cost of 12 months incarceration is typically 100,000 euro to the Irish state?

As far as I can tell not only are they NOT being deterred, but actually enabled by current measures.

It's kind of demoralizing to the civilized sector; the very notion of "reform" is some idealists fantasy or public relations catch-phrase, that has no basis in contemporary reality.

House arrest?

Could the state not introduce this?

Vastly reduce full blown incarceration costs, and ease the burden society bears allowing this filth to continue their dirty business therein with liberty?

The revolving-door system for lifetime serial offenders really needs to be revamped.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• oh here we go 🥲

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What types of crimes have you committed OP? Will they be included in your scheme?

• And what are you babbling about there’s no such thing as reform? Of course there is.

or are you seriously trying to say that 100% of criminals are released to reoffend? While it’s still high @ 45% in 2019, that’s largely down to short sentences and inadequate resources.

Also it’s worth noting that most of the “lenient” sentences we read in the paper are not the norm, although in this day and age I’m sure we could figure out a way to rehabilitate and punish people without locking them in a concrete box for many years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

You're referring to "recidivism".

The very definition of "compulsive re-offender" meets this criteria.

One time offenders will hopefully stay that way.

And the latter statement I agree with, but if you believe there doesn't exist those who feed off the public system and show zero desire or inclination to change........ then I have some land in Alaska to sell you.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have enough crime and punishment threads already

Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement