Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We're going to miss them when they're gone.

• 04-08-2023 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I've thought about a thread like this for some time and particularly how it's often we only see appreciation for people after they pass away. Last weeks passing of Sinead O'Connor reminded me once again of that.

I'm not saying that whoever might be mentioned here will read it and like that they were mentioned but it might be a place to see a name and think, yeah, I do appreciate that person and who knows maybe I'll get a chance to experience more of them while I can.

To get the ball rolling, 3 people who fall in to this category for me are Michael D, Christy Moore and Micheal O'Mhuircheartigh (who to be fair, is already out of the public eye).

Michael D - Think he is a perfect representative as Irelands head of state. Cultured, kind and doesn't take himself too seriously. The dogs are the cherries on top.

Christy - Similar to Sinead and Christy Dignam, a voice that many in the country hear and remember a time or moment of pleasure when they were listening to his songs or attending his shows.

Michael O'Mhuircheartaigh - As I said, already gone from the airwaves but my word what an icon for the GAA. I think the GAA is something that Ireland should be hugely proud of and how it provides a sense of community in every parish in the country. For many of my generation, older and even younger, Micheals voice immediately evokes images of sunny days and an intense contest and for me, memories of Sunday afternoons when we'd listen to his commentary and then try to re-enact what he had described in the back yard. Good times.

N.B. Am conscious of the appetite on here for 'things I hate type threads and posts, am hoping this will have a different tone and people won't look to tear apart everyone who is mentioned for one reason or another.

P.S. Not intending this to be directly linked to people who are older and to suggest their time is nearly up. Appreciation can be given to anyone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Sean Ó Sé - Born singer. Big in the 1960s when he sang with Ceoltori Chualann (most of whose members went on to become The Chieftains) and other musicians under Sean Ó Riada's orchestration. I saw him sing at Dublin Castle and met him by chance and got talking to him briefly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,625 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Me. ….,

Ghoulish enough this tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Depends on how you look at it.

Katie Taylor in the context of her sporting career could be considered in this context. Doesn't have to be the ultimate act, even though that is when we often reflect most on someone.

• Advertisement

They'll miss having someone to hate on?

I try my best to be conscious of what I say online so with that I couldn't think of who to say. There's been numerous celebs and people in the public eye who've said that they have read hurtful stuff about themselves online and been very upset by it.

Its different, like before the tabloids would say controversial stuff but people in the public eye didn't get to hear the conversations going on in peoples houses when they read those tabloids or even the news so they wouldn't know the extent of..in some cases.. vitriol towards them or they could deny the tabloid opinion themselves and move forward.

I don't know. It's a dilemma 🤔cause in one way online chatting brings about connection between people but in other ways people say things online as though they are in private and not meant to be heard. Sorry not the way you mean the thread but well ellipses (lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

David Attenborough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭teediddlyeye

David Jason

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

God would be glad of a break from her talking to him

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭factnee

Michael D; Doesn't take himself too seriously??? Are you having a laugh?? Reminds me of the night Ivana Bacik was on Vincent Browne years ago talking about how humble he was and Vincent just burst out laughing and asked her if she was serious. To be fair, she realised she had misspoken and just smiled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Just to clarify because of the first four posts. Where you referring to just famous Irish people or any nationality?

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You're a very sensitive soul, time to toughen up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Swap singing for football and we have this Irishman

every man over 45 who witnessed his greatness and the weaknesses will be deeply saddened when the day comes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Probbaly the Gulf Stream

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

True. Comes across as a very decent individual.

His book was the best sports book I ever read, and he's central to some iconic Irish sporting memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Paul McGrath is already revered and regarded as one of the greats. He's not a controversial, divisive or unappreciated figure. I'm not sure that his status will change that much after death.

I'd say Steven Patrick Morrissey. He is revered but also controversial. When he dies the controversial aspects will be forgotten and the legend will grow, his work will also very much stand the test of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Morrissey is someone who has been revered as a god during his own lifetime, and he spoiled it all himself with his absurd predisposition for making purposefully controversial remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Bertie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭ThePentagon

Pat Kenny.

Okay he was quite wooden as a 'Late Late' host but I think history will kind to him. After he retires people will appreciate how good a tv and radio broadcaster he was/is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,126 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Greta.

Yes, that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see some are saying it’s morbid but I took the thread title to mean something much broader than that a sportsperson or commentator like was mentioned above. When they aren’t in the public eye we will wish they were back.

Like I know it’s weird but I’ll miss some the good radio presenters on RTE when they hang up the mics because they are a reassuring voice. For example John creed on on RTE will retire at some point and we will miss him when he is gone as he’s a one of a kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Photobox

Michael Palin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

True, but the LLS was not his forte as he was never "light entertainment" - always more serious and opinionated and very well versed

I rarely get a chance to listen to him these days due to work - thought he would have been the perfect replacement for Marian Finucane

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

John Giles.

A lot of people have been dismissive of his opinions for at least a decade, but I still like the no bullsh1t common sense stuff he says, and will miss hearing them when he's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Colin Stafford Johnson.

I love his wildlife shows and his soothing voice. A credit to this country.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭dasdog

Van Morrison - Decades of great songs and performing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭French Toast

The Saw Doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Agree with Morrissey…. The volume and quality of work he will leave behind him. Wow..

he’s led a remarkably uncompromising life. In an era where compromise and concessions of ones spirit, mind and values is almost the expected if not just absolutely demanded, of us all…

he marched to the best beat of his own drum. Less courted controversy as some see him having done and just more enabled himself to say what he personally believed and make music how he wanted …Not always right, usually right but at times quite wrong and dumb, which is a right …Annoyed everyone when he was silent for years, then annoyed people when he spoke his mind…. So 🤷‍♂️….

we’ll miss him when he’s gone. Problem we have…. Very few authentic voices in music / entertainment.. who are essentially now brave enough to just be themselves as artists and people…. Record companies don’t like that, the media doesn’t really always like it…. But where risk, rebellion, originality, standing out from the crowd was celebrated and applauded, now blandness is big ( well D*rmot Kennedy and his ilk sell xxx thousand tickets, albums and listens) and such Morrissey is less of a fit then ever which is probably, no without question a greater reason to celebrate him and be endeared …. He’s 64 now . 🤯 holy fück ! Be missed when he’s gone I think, big time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

One can also pine for characters one hates on. For a start, if the orange Chump gets hit by a bus tomorrow; it will create a sizable void in my hate repertoire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭gigantic09

All those half price deals from home store and more.When they're gone, they're gone 😟

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Still going flat out on Newstalk, sharp as a pin at the ripe age of 75. Makes a complete mockery of RTE's mandatory retirement.

His knowledge of the intricacies of such a wide variety of subjects as he knows remains remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭DecTipp

Eddie lennihan - folklore legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,613 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tell me more about RTEs mandatory retirement policy? It certainly doesn't apply to contractors like Kenny and Duffy.

Pat would be a better presenter if he’d stop pretending that he knows more than his interviewees.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

A work colleague was on holiday in Rome a couple years ago with his family.

They were touring the Vatican and came across Michael and his wife. Couple security people nearby but Michael was strolling around like any other grandfather ona break enjoying the sights. Stepped in for a picture with the family.

There isn't a politician in the country that is lacking for people to complain about them, I'm not trying to argue every point on someone on this thread, but I stand by what I said about him.

Was going to mention him myself.

A fantastic current affairs radio host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Rural pubs, to digress from the person-based answers so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Finbar Furey. I love his voice and music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭dirtyden

On a human level he has always come across as a very good man.

I am not a huge fan of him politically but he is hard not to like personally.

I'm

Your reply is disingenuous; I'm not disputing that he's a nice man. What I disagree with is your suggestion that he doesn't take himself seriously. He does and anyone who knows him would say that. I also believe he would say that himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Paul Brady is one that springs to mind. Although his output nowadays is much reduced. His songs are something that a lot of us in our 40's and older had as part of the soundtrack to our youths and in particular if we spent time working/living away from Ireland.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ryan Tubridy of course. Sure he loves death so probably his only regret will he will not be able to talk about his own when the times comes which is probably 100 years away anyway.

As for who would make the World headlines I would say any of the Spice Girls, Boyonce, Lady Gaga or Pink. Anyone of them now would deserve World headlines if they were to be found dead in the morning. I hope that will not be soon do and they all at least have another 60 years of life in them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

At the very start of the Covid crisis, when there was very little known about the virus, there were no vaccines or even PPE and hospitals were full to beyond capacity with staff working day and night shifts to try and cope, I wrote to Michael D to tell of a friend of mine that was an exhausted hospital worker. I told him some specific details and asked if he would drop a line to them, to offer some support.

A few days later, a big envelope arrived from the Arás with a letter from his personal secretary asking me to deliver another enclosed personal letter to my friend, at the request of the president (I felt like James Bond... given a mission, on His Majesty's Secret Service) The letter was a kind expression of appreciation and encouragement to my friend and it referenced specific details to show that it was not a rubber stamp job, and that my original letter had been read in full and considered for a thoughtful and personal reply.

His time and attention was very much appreciated at the time and having lived through a fair few 'jobs for the boys' presidents, I will certainly miss Michael D's approach to the office when he leaves.

This is the cutest funniest post I've ever read on here lol ....sure he loves death lol 😂😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,839 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The polar ice caps.

Michael D seems fairly sound. I'd say he'll be missed.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

alice mary higgins is a friend of friends. several of those friends won't hear a bad word about michael D after (in their student days) waking up in his house badly hungover and him cooking up a good fry for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Your welcome. Sure all you had to do was read any of the Late Late Show threads when Tubrudy was in charge to see how he loved depressing sad morbid stories of cancer and death. He turned an entertainment show into a depressing slot filled with stories if cancers and deaths.

Hopefully the next host will make it a lighthearted entertainment show again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement