Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The seven ages of Noel Browne- RTE 1

• 31-07-2023 10:44pm

This is great television, clear admissions from politicians that Charles mcquaid called the shots . Highly recommend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yeah, that was worth the watch. He was a good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mywifetoldme

Are there any Noel Browne's in the Dail today?

I can't think of anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭techman1

Yes I enjoyed it, didn't expect to watch it but it was gripping from the very start.

I remember after his stints as minister for health when he was forced to resign because he essentially was taking on the Conservative authorities running the country. He was ostracised and could not even get a job as a doctor as the medical council was keeping him out of jobs.

However this time it's not the Conservative forces and the church in control but the Liberal elites and this has been the case for 30 years now. However their tactics to deal with a renegade like noel brown would be exactly the same getting hom ostracised. The medical council are still the uber powerful organisation they always were but now dominated by Liberal rather than Conservative elites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭black & white

His autobiography, Against the Tide, is a great read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The GP fraternity came out of it looking as bad as the politicians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭pjordan

Surprised there wasn't more feedback on this TV programme as well as discussion on the man in general. An excellent documentary, even if I did find the grainy film bits interspersed with deep and meaningful quotes, between the clips of interviews with Noel and his daughters a bit annoying.

I read Against the Tide almost 30 years ago and remember it being powerful stuff and something to really get you worked up. I pulled it out the other night. Might be time for a reread.

One thing that did occur to me from perusing it, especially in this decade of commemerations, was could the treatment of Browne's mother and family after the demise of his father from TB equally have, in part anyway, anything to do with the fact that he was an ex RIC Sergeant, many of whom were treated abismally by the new state after 1923 and were forced to emigrate or decended into alcoholism. I know he was working for the ISPCC at the time of his death, and this probably contributed to him (and subsequently the rest of the family) catching TB, but the begrudgery and bias of officials in the new state probably didn't help either, no more than their hypcritical attitude towards his son Noel, "the Trinity Catholic" some decades later.

I know, along with the usual cliches referenced by his daughters, about Noel being regarded by many (especially at the instigation of the Church authorities) as a "communist" and therefore evil incarnate. He probably didn't help himself in a lot of situations either by essentially going "against the tide" and was described by some as curmodegonly and argumentative and difficult. But that being said, I think he was incredibly brave and far seeing and principled, traits seldom found to that degree in many of our politicians since, and I doubt a man with a lesser passion or force of personality would have achieved or dared half as much as he did.

I think the documentary kinda skipped over the abolition of the Mother and Child scheme without delving too deep into it beyond the religious objections. I do recall discussing it at the time of reading Against the Tide and learning that just coincidentally, as well as McQuaid's own family, many of the well to do families in Ireland that had a sons in the priesthood also had sons as doctors, and so the cooperations and conspiracy between teh Church and the Irish Medical profession was almost a natural unity of vested interest.

I'm also reminded of McQuaid's absolute hyprocacy in that he allegedly had the largest library of it's kind in Ireland of banned and sexual literature (purely for research purposes of course!) as well as the oft mention suggestions that he may well have been a paedophile or sexual deviant himself, something I seem to recall Browne referring to in discussions with someone else, where he (McQuaid) may well have been caught in action at one point. In any case I can't help but look at his evil countenance now and hope that he is burning in the eternal hell he so warned others about during his tenure as a preist and archbishop.

In conclusion, I would concur with others in the wake of the programme, that Noel Browne deserves to be commemerated by the country that he served so well and gave so much to. Even the fact that his Robert Ballagh portrait in the posession of the national gallery is currently in storage with "no current plans for its public display" is a demonstration of the begrudgery and hypocracy that persists even to this day about one of Ireland's great politicans of the Independence era.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭batman75

Very interesting documentary on Dr Browne. A remarkable man. For him to become a doctor given the grinding poverty he knew as a child was remarkable. I knew about his role in eradicating TB. I wasn't aware of his role in getting going on the building of hospitals across the country.

The attitude of Archbishop McQuaid and the Catholic Church cost the country a true pioneering minister for health. He was strong in his convictions was Dr Browne so he may not have been the easiest person to deal with.

The colour footage of him being interviewed is from 1997 so it must have been shortly before he died. For a man of 80 at the time he looked remarkable. He deserves proper recognition by official Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I thought it was excellent too, yet it left so much of his life out.

The other stand-out for me, which would not have endeared him to the RC church, is his attendance at Dubhghlas de hÍde's funeral, when the rest of the Government stood outside rather than enter a CoI church. The sheer audacity of a government not attending a President's funeral!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Watched it tonight and found it very interesting, comes across as a very principled man and a real deep thinker.

Going to read his autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

I thought the caller on Gaybo LLS, who apologized for tearing down his election posters, 'cos the nuns said he was a communist and to tell her parents not to vote for him, was incredible. Is there a monument/plaque/named bridge/public statue of him in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

There's a memorial stone for him in Peamount Hospital, and a memorial garden in Waterford.

I think there's a bench somewhere as well, but not enough imho.

Advertisement