Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting an online classifieds business in Ireland

Options
  • 02-08-2023 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi all, currently in the process of finishing a classifieds website I’ve been working on for a good few months now and nearly ready to launch it. Currently working full time for a company and am wondering is there grants that I can avail of to help me start this online business to help with marketing and development costs while I’m still working a full time job or do I have to basically be unemployed and trying to launch the business as my full time occupation? Can anyone guide me to the correct information on this subject. Thanks

Post edited by Gloomtastic! on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

Local Enterprise office, but they will want a business plan that will show how such a site will be profitable. A lot of tech minded people can come up with great ideas, but the cost of bringing it to market and getting a foothold is huge. Good business acumen is also required to start a business and that would include being able to do research on your market and also be able to find out where assistance is and I think you will fall down at this hurdle.

Here the LEO site - a very quick google search would have given it to you https://www.localenterprise.ie/Longford/Start-or-Grow-Your-Business/

Donedeal / Adverts are the dominant force and even they struggle to be profitable and its probably only because they are part of a much larger group that can spread costs around. So unless you have something they don't, your idea will likely fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Designator

Thanks for the info but are you just another typical Irish begrudger? You literally know zero about the website I’m starting not even the name, the aim , nothing and you told me “I think your idea will likely fail”. Like are you ok man? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

I think you've given me the answer of whether you will succeed or fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

He knows it's a classifieds website of which we in Ireland have two of the best I've come across anywhere.

That is adverts and donedeal as previously pointed out.

On top of that there is Facebook marketplace which people use and is especially good for niche products due to all the niche groups on it. Its also good for local stuff in local but and sell groups.

I can't see how yours is going to flip the world on its axis and that's not begrudgery its just an honest opinion.

That said I wish you the best of luck with it and hopefully it is revolutionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Timfy

Your Local Enterprise Office might be able to provide financial assistance in the form of grants, but often, these grants come with the requirement to work with "advisors," who may not always be as helpful as desired.

As mentioned before, breaking into the online classifieds business is notoriously challenging. While setting up an autonomous classifieds website is relatively straightforward, the real challenge lies in the labour-intensive task of moderating all advertisements. Without effective moderation, the platform can easily succumb to the weight of fake and scam ads, leading to its collapse. As well as this you will need to weed out expired and item sold ads not updated by their owners.

The market is already heavily saturated with major players like eBay, which dominates the global marketplace, and regional platforms like Done Deal and Adverts.ie, covering Ireland with a wide range of categories. Additionally, Facebook fills the hyper-local and low-value/free sales segment.

To gain visibility and traction, a significant portion of your budget will need to be allocated to advertising your website. However, it's essential to be realistic about the financial outlook. Turning a profit on any online business may take many years, especially when competing against established players, some of whom are still experiencing financial losses today.

Please understand that my intention is not to discourage you. I genuinely wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He said that to succeed,you need to be able to do market research.

You have demonstrated a very limited ability to do basic research into business establishment supports.

Based on that I agree with the prediction that was made.

To succeed you use any means you can to get information. That’s why I used this forum because just like in business your greatest asset can be information and the people that have information. That’s what this forum is for, for people to share ideas and information. You can do all the googling you want for hours on end but someone on this forum could provide me with the exact info I need in a matter of minutes in a much faster and more efficient way . Work smart 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chubakazubaka

To initiate an online business, begin with a well-researched business idea and market analysis. Choose a distinct business name and structure, possibly an LLC, for liability protection. You can use LLCBase for simplified registration. Acquire an EIN for tax purposes and establish a dedicated business bank account. Develop a professional online presence through a website or e-commerce platform. Create and refine your products or services, ensuring quality and legal compliance. Employ digital marketing strategies to attract and engage your target audience. Once launched, monitor performance, offer excellent customer service, and adapt as needed. Utilize LLCBase to manage legal documentation and customer-related matters effectively.

Post edited by Chubakazubaka on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Careful using that LLCBase. It’s American so won’t work outside of the US.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Nine out of ten startups fail and it is not often someones first attempt at starting a business succeeds. There is nothing unique about your proposal as you are entering an established market, so to get a foot in the door is going to cost a very significant amount in advertising. That means you are going to have to have an really excellent business plan to convince anyone to give you cash to spend on it. Alternatively if you believe in it just bash a head with your own time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Once again you also no zero about the business im proposing to start other than the vague description of it being a classifieds website. Not knowing the name or branding or the USP that im basing it off, not knowing that this is something Ive been working on for a long time. 9 out of 10 startups fail, great to know but if youre going to let statistics determine whether you can be successful at something or not then youre never going to be successful at anything other than failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,648 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You ask and then you get peeved at any attempted answers. People can only go on the vague description of it being a classifieds website. I'd suggest pulling in your horns when talking to anybody about funding, subsidies or grants.

Yes because Im asking for information regarding what grants or funding is available regarding businesses that operate solely online such as classifieds businesses. Im not asking for people that dont know me or know my business to judge it or to tell me that it will fail.

Please keep it calm people. Attack the post, never the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Excuse you. Who do you think you are replying like that?

Somebody wasted their time giving you advice and you use a laughing emoji.

If you're serious you'd want to cop on.

Insult away. I can already see your customer service.

If you are certain of how "awesome" your idea is, why are you asking here?

Fire away.

I do not take lightly to begrudgers. And from my years on this forum I can see its full of them, but thats just the typical Irish way. People would rather tell you youre going to fail rather than spur you on. I see it everyday. So when I ask for information regarding something , thats all Im asking for. Im not asking for someone to get on their high horse and to tell me my idea (which they know absolutely nothing about) is going to fail. Would you walk into a newly opened shop on the side of the street and tell the person that owns it that they're more than likely going to fail? No, you wouldnt. So what makes you think you can tell someone online that their business will fail when you literally know zero about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

You're having a laugh. You think far too much of yourself.

You asked, good people replied and you insulted.

Pay for opinions and advice so.

As you both have ignored my request for civility, I’m going to close this thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Good luck with the learning experience… and BTW I have been involved in start ups in one way or another for over 3 decades, but you obviously know all the answers apart from how to finance it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement