Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

So you have given names of some people who live on the island and write. And you remind us that you had a language on the island. Oh wait, am I correct that there was an OWC version of your Irish language.

francie this is pathetic. The stuff you have mentioned in the post are things that are on life support.

so all the abuse I took re northern Irish culture, and francie comes up with a few resident writers and a language that is rarely spoken - much of which is borrowed from others including English.

a vibrant culture my arse -case proven

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hilarious, really.

Irish literature and the language are on life support. 😀😀😀

The highest number of ‘writers’ from a country on this years British Booker Award are from that dying cultural entity of Ireland.

Several Irish writers nominated at the Oscars too. Including one in the Irish language.

Man you can put both feet in it! 😀😀😀

let me clarify for you. By life support I mean that youth are not interested. The census in roi showed that the Irish language is decreasing, and do you really think people much younger than you are interested in the writers you are referring?. It’s hardly vibrant stuff.

to me, culture means stuff that the current and upcoming generation are engaging in voluntarily in large numbers. You have picked stuff that is being pumped into young people in school and it’s still decreasing.

you’re good craic - or should I use the original English crack, that your culture borrowed - maybe while the Irish peasantry were peeping at the British army officers parties through the cracks in the curtains so as they could go home and practice the set dancing - and call it Irish culture.

Francie, there nothing you are me can think off that is uniquely Irish. To pick writers because they were born in Ireland is very thin. You country has been so influenced by England, and vice versa, that you may drop this Irish culture nonsense.

GAA is probably a good call for some Irish culture that large numbers engage in voluntarily, including young people.

Could you tell me the difference in an Irish writer and a writer from Ireland?

• Advertisement

😀😀

I didn’t pick writers solely because they were born in Ireland, the McDonagh brothers were not born in Ireland but have written huge theatrical hits considered as part of a unique Irish culture. Shane McGowan is the same in music. Try telling some random person in Croydon or The Bronx that either are not Irish and you’ll be laughed at there as well as here.

I am telling you there is a distinct unique Irish cultural thing known as ‘Irish literature’. And you cannot diminish that by pretending.

Also there has been an explosion of Gael Scoilenna here to accommodate young Irish speakers. It isn’t dying much as haters want it to.

Yes. They write in a way that is immediately recognisable as bein an Irish perspective. Joyce, Kavanagh., Heaney, Friel, Hewit, Longley, The McDonagh Bros, Barry, etc etc.

Anglo Irish writers would be writers from Ireland but writing in a British style and perspective. Uniquely Irish too BTW.

This is first year secondary school stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Questioning the existence of a people's culture is very topical these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Do you get an Ulster fry in Donegal? If so it is just another irish/ulster culture.

Tayto crisps. That best you can do? Really. Tayto would also have commercial reasons for not expanding outside the ROI jurisdiction rather than suddenly people in the north not liking thier crisps.

A ‘culture’ condensed to crisps and a fry. 😀😀😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

What language is unique to NI? I see every county in NI, which even your own username derives from? Is from irish. Belfast and Derry derive from irish too. Infact the vast majority of places in the OWC comes from irish.

You never herd of irish trad music? Irish dancing too?

Sports like GAA.

Halloween originates in Ireland and nearly all irish kids celebrate it.

Religious beliefs like the celebration of St Patrick with parades and our own protestant Church of Ireland are other forms of irish culture

Our own way of distilling whiskey which gives irish whiskey a unique taste whether it be Bushmills in Antrim or Jamesons in Dublin.

Of course irish culture like any other nations culture can become popular throughout the world.

Post edited by ittakestwo on

Of course irish culture like any other nations culture can become popular throughout the world.

Like soccer. Except the other feckers weren’t supposed to get better st it. 😀😀

I know some of you hate chatgpt, but I thought I would ask it to comment. I realise, like google, how you ask the question influences it and I was asking specifically for cultural differences- I am quite sure ‘shared cultures’ would throw up another list.

what strikes me is the stark differences eg I have only ever heard of one of your foods on the list ie barmbrack (I thought it was barnbrack and I just know it is a type of bread), yet the ni list are so completely common to me. I am interested have you guys heard of all the roi food?

and before you condemn me asking chatgpt think how many quotes from google we get on here. I thought chatgpt closing paragraph was particularly interesting:

here's a list of of some differences between Northern Ireland (NI) and the Republic of Ireland (ROI) based on our discussion:

Food:

NI: Ulster Fry, Pastie Baps, Fifteens, Champ, Yellowman, Dulse, Armagh Bramley Apples, Veda Bread, Jawbox Gin, Wheaten Bread, Comber Earlies.

ROI: Coddle, Drisheen, Boxty, Gur Cake, Carrageen Moss Pudding, Clonakilty Black, Barmbrack,

Traditions and Habits:

NI: Orange Order Parades, Bonfire Night, Ulster Scots dialect, Lambeg drums, Loyalist marching bands. Cross-community St Patrick’s parades where symbols contentious in ni are controlled 

ROI: St. Patrick's Day Parades, Pattern Day pilgrimages, Irish language usage, traditional Irish music sessions, Sliabh Luachra traditional music, Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann sessions.

Cultural Celebrations:

NI: The Twelfth, Battle of the Boyne commemorations, Belfast Film Festival, Cathedral Quarter Arts Festival, New Year's Eve Carnlough swim.

ROI: Bloomsday, Samhain, Galway International Arts Festival, Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival, Wren Day, Fleadh Cheoil, Cork Jazz Festival, St. Patrick's Festival in Dublin.

Sport:

NI: NI Football team, Cricket, Royal County Down and Royal Portrush Golf Clubs, Ulster Rugby.

ROI: Irish national football team, Hurling, Gaelic Football, Horse Racing, Kilkenny and Tipperary Hurling teams, All-Ireland Senior Football Championship, Connacht Rugby.

Symbols:

NI: Red Hand of Ulster, The Union Jack, The Crown, The Ulster Banner, Murals.

ROI: The Irish Flag (Tricolour), The Celtic Cross, The Claddagh Ring, The Irish Round Tower.

Recent History of Politics and Conflict:

NI: The Troubles, Good Friday Agreement, Decommissioning of Paramilitary Weapons, Power-sharing Executive, Brexit and the NI Protocol.

ROI: Celtic Tiger Economic Boom, Financial Crisis, EU-IMF bailout, Economic Recovery, The Great Famine, War of Independence, Civil War, Neutrality during WWII, Transition to Euro.

Practical Differences:

NI: Currency (Pound Sterling), Phone Boxes (BT), Driving (Miles per Hour), Education (GCSEs and A-Levels), Health Service (NHS).

ROI: Currency (Irish Punt, now Euro), Phone Boxes (originally eir), Driving (Kilometers per Hour), Education (Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate), Health Service (HSE).

This collection of differences between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, while informative, serves as a broad generalization. As with any cultural comparison across the globe, there is considerable overlap and diversity within each region. Cultural distinctions are not rigid boundaries but rather fluid and nuanced characteristics that can differ greatly among individuals and communities. Nonetheless, this list underscores a substantial cultural divergence between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, resulting from periods of extended separation and distinct historical experiences. It's important to celebrate this rich diversity while acknowledging the shared cultural threads that weave these regions together.

Post edited by downcow on

…and I could go on and on with stuff it hasn’t mentioned eg impact of neutrality and not being a member of NATO or the Commonwealth of Nations, etc,etc.

So francie, while crisps and frys are everyday manifestations of our difference due to partition exasperated by the IRA campaign, Yes it’s more than crisps!

I could also make a list of differences in northern Irish culture from Scottish, English and Welsh cultures - an even within those, particularly England due to size, we could make sub lists of local cultures.

To try and ignore cultural differences and either, wish them away, or say that they do not need to be considered, in a hypothetical united Ireland is just living in denial.

I don’t like pulling anyone’s culture apart, but hey, you do enough of it so:

“You never herd of irish trad music? Irish dancing too?”

is that the music that uses the German push button accordion or the dance that was derived from what you ancestors saw while peaking through the windows and watching British army officers and there wives who had imported this new dance style into Ireland

“Sports like GAA.”

is that the sport that was developed by the organisation that was established in the Uk. Does that make it a Uk sport?

“Halloween originates in Ireland and nearly all irish kids celebrate it.”

Oh dear! So it was you guys brought the bonfires to Ireland.

“Religious beliefs like the celebration of St Patrick with parades”

I am happy you honour the British Saint that spent all his time, while in Ireland, in OWC. I think he maybe walked through your part after he sold his slaves, on the way to OWC

“and our own protestant Church of Ireland are other forms of irish culture”

This one takes the biscuit. It’s just funny. English church is established in Ireland and ittakestwo regards it as his beloved Irish culture

“distilling whiskey which gives irish whiskey a unique taste “.

I think you’ll have to share that one with us northern Irish. Remember the oldest distillery in the world is in OWC deep in Ulster Scots country.

There's no perfect translation from one language to another because each language has it's own unique style and way of conveying it's meaning.

Gaelic to English is a good example.

Not sure what your point is, everything there I recognise as a part of 'Irish Culture'.There are 'variations' across the island in custms and food as there is on any island. The Ulster fry is a variation of a fry, it isn't a unique thing and is eaten in Monaghan Cavan and Donegal etc.anyway and wheaten bread is common to the whole island. Even Orange parades are common to the island.

Neutrality impacts us all...not everyone is rushing off to fight wars in NI or here and some do go off to fight. Right across Ireland.

What do we need to 'consider' in a UI?

You carry on doing your thing culturally downcow...nobody is going to stop you, unless you are misbehaving.

Jesus, the 'oldest' distillery in the world is in Ireland downcow...it was 'subsumed into NI' by partition.

I mean, not to know or realise this shows how you just don't undertsand the points being made.

There is nothing 'culturally' unique to the 100 year old jurisdiction of Northern Ireland...NOTHING. What you have been mentioning are IRISH, all there before NI existed.

So we can agree that there are significant cultural differences and nuances across the archipelago, but even greater and much more significant shared culture. Indeed your post above highlights that there is little or nothing that is clearly defined as Irish, northern Irish, British culture.

you emphasise this with your claim that one orange twelfth parade a few miles over the border leaves you feeling it’s an all island culture. This does leave you with the challenge of coming up with a single piece of Irish culture that does not happen outside Ireland - reinforcing the British archipelago culture which we all share. The rest just seem regional nuances

• Advertisement

Where there Orange parades before Partition?

If the answer to this question is 'Yes' or to anything else you claim as 'Unique' then it is an Irish custom/culture.

And you could not be more wrong.

There is a defineable 'Irish' language/literature/music/sport etc.

Let me change that slightly to help you realise the hypocrisy:

You said ”Were there Orange parades before Partition?If the answer to this question is 'Yes' or to anything else you claim as 'Unique' then it is an Irish custom/culture.”

Tweaked ”Were there GAA games before the UK Partitioned? If the answer to this question is 'Yes' or to anything else you claim as 'Unique' then it is an British custom/culture.”

do you see how silly this is becoming.

Yoiu are nearly there.

The British where colonists downcow, they invaded IRELAND, it remained Ireland, a 'jurisdiction of the British Empire' which NI still is.

It (NI) is also STILL Ireland with Irish customs and culture still carried out.

I think you are getting confused francie. Bushmills is in the Uk and practically every Bushmills resident will confirm that. They will tell you they are British not Irish. And they will tell you of a strong northern Irish culture. But sure you continue telling people in your neighbouring country that they actually belong to your country. It’s unbelievable. It would be like Spanish people telling Renaldo he’s Spanish.

Bushmills was established in Ireland downcow, long before the 'UK' was dreamt of. no amount of shouting at clouds is going to change that fact.

Very sad that Unionism is in this hole and feels the need to deny history.

Everything you do culturally and by custom and tradition will fit right back into Ireland as a united country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Bushmills has been going since 1608, and it is very proud to be part of the British Isles, Francie.

Very sad that Irish nationalism feels the need to be so exclusive and cannot co-operate for the good of these islands, same as groups of islands the world over stock together for their mutual benefit.

The only time Ireland was united was when it was with Britain.

Classic.

What does it say, right there on the label of their product?

I circled it to make it easy for you.

Does it say Northern Ireland? British Isles?

What's the difference between Irish whiskey and Scottish whiskey?

The distilling process mainly.

Some may believe the most obvious difference between Scottish whisky and Irish whiskey is the spelling. Howells and Caldwell explain that the differences run a bit deeper. "Irish whisky is generally distilled three times and can be made from any combination of cereal grain whereas Scottish whisky is made from 100 percent malted barley and distilled twice in copper pot stills," Howells says.

Caldwell notes that another big difference between the two is the categories of whisky. Grain whisky in Scotland is predominantly wheat lead, whereas most grain whiskeys in Ireland are made from corn. "Irish Single Malts tend to veer more towards the Speyside or Lowlands styles of Scottish single malts. Irish whiskey has its own uniquely Irish style of whiskey known as single pot still—which doesn't exist in Scotch whisky. We used to say that the easiest answer to this question would be the use of peat or 'smokey' whiskey but even this is changing rapidly with more and more amazing peated single malts coming out of Ireland," he says.

And, because the distilling process is not the same, neither are the flavor profiles. 

What's the Difference Between Irish Whiskey and Scotch Whisky? (marthastewart.com)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Not quite, Francie. Scotch typically double distilled, Irish typically triple.

The inclusion of unmalted barley in Irish whiskey is another major differentiator.

Edit: I'd also add that it is Irish Whiskey, but Scotch Whisky, though this is a correction to the post you're replying to rather than you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement