Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Am 100% convinced Trump has dirt on Graham.

Like New York Post type dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He should be known as Jack "takes no ****" Smith...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Trump on Jack Smith

Trump: Deranged Jack Smith. Doesn’t he look deranged? You’ve seen the pictures with the purple robe. He’s a deranged human being. This guy is a lost soul. Bad guy. He’s a deranged sick person

• Registered Users Posts: 33,346 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Definitely compromising pictures of lady Lindsey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Doesn't matter. Most of the evidence against TFG is from Repubs. Apologies, if that's what this is, don't absolve you from crimes, at least in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

She may be a horrible human being, although in comparison to the crop of American 'conservative' political commentators who have come to prominence since Trump, she seems perfectly reasonable. Like Bill O'Reilly, she would at least go on shows like Bill Maher/John Stewart and have a conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That's because she actually believes in what she says instead of the rest of them who are just doing it for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I've believed for a long time that the only possible way out of this situation in the short term is if Trump dies a (provable) natural death. The way this is going, the entire country is going to be torn apart. The sooner he's gone from this planet, the better.

Imagine if he doesn't stop, they revoke bail, and he's in jail for the primaries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Shoog

The GOP had their chance to defuse all of this and give Trump a soft landing when he was impeeched. Instead they tried to stonewall and forced the justice department to remove Trump from the field of play because of his criminality. The GOP are going to implode over this or kick off some sort of civil war. They have left themselves no other options.

There is no short-term way of getting rid of Trump. Trump/Trumpism is really just the festering conclusion of a long-term political project. The norms and 'ideas' he has introduced to American politics would remain thick in the air even if he were to drop dead tomorrow.

There is a really frustrating readiness for anti-Trump people to look for a quick defeat of him and his movement and essentially sweep it back under the rug or into the closet where it will invariably transmogrify into something worse. Just ignore it. Just write it off. Don't actually deal with the systemic problems in American politics or wider society, and then be genuinely surprised when something horrible bubbles out of the slime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Rawr

+1

I sense that even if Trump were to expire naturally as PropJoe suggests, that would be nowhere near the end of this. They’d certainly struggle in the short term to find a effective replacement figurehead for the MAGA movement, but the nonsense tied to them would not go away.

I can now imagine a series of possible situations surrounding Trump’s death, and they all signal a continuance of MAGA hyperbole *at the very least*.

A) Trump gets ill, is hospitalised, and dies in hospital

• The medical staff and hospital are blamed. Accused of being Marxist / Mexican / Antifa / DC fans who wanted Trump dead and took their chance to make it happen.
    • MAGA extremists target the medical staff and hospital for death / domb threats.
    • This expands to all US hospitals and medical facilities while MAGA go on an anti-medicine crusade (already started during Covid). US Government are forced to post security at hospitals to protect against this.
    • Health services disintegrate further in Red States, while some grifters establish “MAGA Clinics” promosing “Woke-free” medicine.

B) Trump suddenly dies of a heart attack, or other similar sudden event.

• The death is blamed as part of a “Globalist” plot spearheaded by Soros.
    • Similar situation to (A), but it’s Amazon that get targeted.
    • Possible expansion of attacks to other “Globalist” sites, such as synagogues.

In both cases, the MAGA remit would go from revenge for “stealing 2020” to revenge for Trump’s apparent murder (in their minds). Any success in the General Election will be based on them getting an electable replacement to Trump who moderates will actually vote for. DeSantis ain’t that.

But MAGA itself would outlive Trump for some time. Keeping their champions out of office will be the job of the US electorate for the foreseeable, Trump or no Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I don't know if I agree or not. I do agree that the MAGA agenda wouldn't just go away, but I don't think that anyone else in that movement could step in for Trump and trigger the same cult of personality that he has. It seems that a lot of this comes from absolute devotion to the man himself,like in a lot of cults that we've seen in the US over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

What a loser. Donny must have nothing to lose.

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2023/0805/1398299-trump/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,371 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If JFK Jnr can still be alive a small matter like Trump being dead is not going to stop MAGAs from following him. While simultaneously claiming the government has assassinated him/ has him hidden away or in prison somewhere.

And cults don't necessarily need their leader to be alive in order to hold together. in fact, death can be something of a boon for the movement as a whole, as Trump would go from a figure at a podium, to giant flattering likenesses hung up on banners, while his various 'truths' and tweets become arranged into a body of dogma. There would be successors - none as charismatic as Trump himself - but they would be stewards who would not have the movement for themselves. Trump is, for better or worse, a pretty singular individual and those around him are just riding his coattails in order to further their own careers. I think that on some level 'the base' can sense this, and it's why he cannot be truly usurped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What he said is correct.

Perhaps saying that Trump cannot get a fair trial in DC would be more accurate.

That MSNBC show seems so melodramatic and fake.

Why isn't it a fair trial in DC, do you think trump's comments about DC as he drove to the courthouse helped him?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

You won't even say whether you think he's innocent or not.

What does the fairness of the trial matter to you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump didn't do anything except normalise a strain of American political discourse that already existed. His passing won't take that with him. The president had always stayed above the fray, but Trump leaned into and normalised a antagonistic, combative style of politics that was already circling the fringe; if the President set the bar, then thus your Matt Gaetz or Majorie Taylor-Greenes were given a bump of credibility, going double for their fawning buy in to the cult and some to the unitary executive theory (aka, despotism).

So Trump dies, but if the GOP still indulges lunatic fringe then nothing will have been learned, and while the uneducated base still rage at DC and liberals, they'll be flirted with by whoever follows McConnell (who must also be on the way out by recent events).

If anything I suspect it'll only get worse when a DeSantis but charismatic comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I havent made up my mind yet whether he is innocent or guilty, theres alot of information to go through and I am not a lawyer.

What I think is irrelevant.

I do know however that he wont get a fair trial in DC, Jack Smith is not objective, the DOJ is being weaponised by Trumps main Presidential opponent, the judge is biased, the jury will be likely to be biased as its a Democrat stronghold, 95%.

It cannot possibly be a fair trial, and Id say that for any Republican.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The only change Donald Trump's death would have is his campaign emails would start saying Trump needs your money so he can fight for you from beyond the grave and Make Heaven Great Again!

And f*ckheads will still donate....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,453 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The ones who are all witnesses against him? Only confirms the point

You have to hand wash his words. That’s very telling.

How is Smith not objective?

You again argue that Trump can rape anyone in DC and should be allowed to get away with it because he lost DC by too many votes. Hell “any Republican” they’re so authorized to commit heinous crimes in the district because ‘they can’t get a fair trial’ because nobody wants to vote for a criminal political class shock

This only reveals how entrenched MAGA is. No longer about law order or morality even all about getting away with murder.

All the information you need is in front of you. Do you need to rewatch the Jan 6 hearings or something? Maybe actually read the indictment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There's way more evidence as to Trumps guilt than there is as to Smiths objectivity, and yet you claim to not be able to express a view on the former but have a definitive position on the latter.

Funny that.

Why can it not possibly be a fair trial? And please show us the information you went through to determine that this was the case given that that is apparently what you must have done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement