Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part time farming - Time saving techniques

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Who2 it like anything if to many lads get into it then the market will fall out of it. The best way to make money on dairy beef is go all the way to the hook. It's a long time for a return plus the expense & hard work is in the first 12 months. That's why I keep a mix of sucklers & dairy beef. As I can sell good Lmx cattle any day & get their value. Doesn't always happen with the AAx Fr.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Have only 3/4" piping everywhere, thus only have to keep one size of spare fittings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Killer when it's old style mixed with new stuff, have 1/2", 3/4" and the large chunk of the main lines in 1". Any upgrading has moved to 1" and 3/4".

Would agree 💯% there is only margin for one person in the lifetime of a beast. Folks thinking of doing calf to store are flying into dangerous gamble. Factories are slowing moving to reduce the moves down to 1. Just look at the sustainability scheme Larry is running

It comes down to the simple thing of time. Reducing the number calving helps save time, It's always easier manage a group of bucket feed calves as you are scaling up the efficiency due to numbers. I found it took not much extra time to rear 40 calves over 10 on the day to day tasks. Just a bit more time on one off jobs such as dehorning etc. Even on moving them or dosing. It still took the same amount of time to get 10 or 40 or 60 calves to the yard. The dosing time wasn't really that much extra maybe an extra 20 mins

On the sucklers side it has to be compact calving For time saving. After 6 weeks you start to get wrecked and the last few can drag it out. For the past few years I have used some FTAI on heifers and 25% of the cows. This has helped hugely . Only breeding replacements from cows that calves as close to 365 days and go in calf generally to first serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Just go into hardware and pick out a few of everything you think you need, tee’s joiners valves ballcocks, incerts etc. and put them in the small blue totes . You’ll soon realise what you forgot (when you need it 🙄).

Also fencing gear. I keep a few new rolls of new temporary wire, insulators, a new pack of pigtails etc. if I see something is getting used I write it on notes in my phone and when I’ve a few things together I’ll order them up.

Same for machinery stuff. Try and keep filters oil etc on hand all the time. You’d never know when you’d have a spare wet hour and decide to change tractor oil and filters. At least it’s there waiting for you.

its a few pound the first day stocking up but after that it’s simple and it’s great comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭emaherx

How confident are we in any farming enterprise at the moment?

Our farm has changed enterprises many times and no doubt will change again in the future, nothing stopping a return to sucklers in future if needed.

Personally I've a few reasons to get out of sucklers now. Cost of replacement bulls, I can't see AI being practical on a fragmented farm, safer for the younger farmers with no bulls or cows with calves, yards 2KM from house so not going to miss running over and back at night during calving. When I took over the farm after dad passed we were rearing dairy beef and suckling, I went with just the sucklers while working full time as they more or less look after themselves once let out in spring and because we were in the BDGP scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,960 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

On labour saving , a quick list;

- keep a Kanban system for consumables. ( A fancy term for keeping spares.) Grease cartridges, fencing staples, water fittings, calf electrolytes, pourons, calf tags etc etc

- train all cattle to meal. A small bit keeps them keen to come when you call.

- make hay ( or silage) when sun shines. Same for slurry, spread early in year when ground allows.

- be proactive with fencing and dosing. Less work longterm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I have an old JCB 3cx that does all the feeding and shifting/moving here.

A flat wheel is a major ball-ache, as they have a high ply rating and are hard handled to remove a tyre and fix a puncture.

So I've finally got around to having a spare wheel/tyre standing by for both front and back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭50HX

As above supply of water fittings, light bulbs, grease oils & fencing supplies

Always buy a pair of wellingtons when on sale at a decent price....keep in the box out in the shed

Yards well lit up

In winter whatever machine used for feeding has to start 1st tip all the time

Decent wet gear & a place to hang them for drying without getting bawled out of it at home😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On the machines and starting. That's a good one.

I have high speed starters now on two machines in the yard. Just after getting another machine and she'll be getting one now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

+1 a high speed starter is a game changer for an old otherwise slow to start engine. Of coarse it won't bring back the dead horses but will get you going first tip in the coldest of weather.

At least you have a way of jacking it up easy😀

• Advertisement

Definitely reliability in the main machine is key.

The farm here is about 500m from the house, keeping a spare pair of wet gear and wellies on the farm is handy if you have to swing into the yard quick after work especially with calving or a sick animal. If you have to swing back to the house I nearly have the welcoming party of the smallest and it could take 20mins to get back out

On the wet gear, I have been kicked to the garage. Keep 2 rain jackets there. On the oilers, I find the bib ones handy and just leave the wellies attached full time to them for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Most has been covered by way of lights, spare parts, ordering on line, fencing, machinery on the button. I’ve spent a lot by way of facilities and sheds over the past few years but now I have my set up to an hour a day, often less

single biggest thing that works for me is simply being organised. To do list for Saturday morning and try to get a few jobs done off the To do list during the week to lighten Saturday.

I always start early- no later than 6am (often before it) and would always be finished and back to the house by 9am with the day to the kids and herself. Actually last two Saturdays, the only jobs I did was herding.

What did you find in the investment gave you the best time saver

€80k suckler shed. All under one roof wirh safe handling facilities. Can do most of the winter feeding form the tractor seat. Previous to that was in small pokey sheds - dangerous at times tbh when cows calving.

Calving season is pure therapy now albeit I’m sure many might argue it’s expensive therapy 🤪🤪🤪

good yard lights speed up the job massively too.

calving camera is a game changer also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭jfh

winter feeding is one area that I need to improve on,I'm forking in pit silage ,anyone here have a skidsteer and how do they rate it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is there a contractor who cuts pits for other farmers locally? You could strip the pit let them put the blocks and you can push with a tractor

Everyone calving should have good lights, calving cameras and a good calving gate. It's not a massive investment to get these things right but could save a lot of time and even lives a calving time (both man and beast).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Best way to solve calving problems is not to have them. Bought 8-10 suckler weanlings over the last 4-5 weeks R-to+ grade 300-350kgs for about 700euro average.

Why would you keep suckler cows.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Agree completely. Figured this out around 1992 when decoupling came in.

Decoupling came in 2003. Reference year's were 2000-2002.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Yes 2003 long time ago. One of the best decisions of my farming career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭StevenToast

So where do you get those nice weanlings when no one wants to keep the cows?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

They musnt be that nice if they only making 700

A tad unfair... suckler weanlings can be bought @ 2-2.2kg if you are willing to spend time doing so....lsl has made this so much easier

I saw 4 red whitehead heifers last June making 720, they were 345 kg, not suckler bred but nice warm cattle

I reckon they would be bought for sub 2/kg today with what he weather has done to land & grass here in July

• Advertisement

I never said anything about people wanting to keep them. I said why keep them when you can buy decent weanling/yearlings at the price I paid.

Just look through LSL you will be surprised

I said they were R-to R+ grade. Mist are heifers but there is a few bulls as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Get as many statements and receipts as possible emailed rather than paper.way less filing and speeds up doing accounts and stuff

For a couple of years I have used the card and credit transfer for payments. It helps with the accounts. While emailing of receipt's is handy it's not much of a time saver because you have to print them out.

On emailing receipts I mentioned it to my local vet who posts them out monthly @ is it now 1.1euro for a national stamp. I think not would save them a fortune ( and probably time as well emailing where possible.

Slava Ukrainii

In previous times, the vendor would often knock off a bit when paying them. The only issue with paying on line is it effectively rules that out (unless you ring them up and directly ask them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ya I still pay the merchant mainly with a cheque, as I usually get a discount. It’s hard to ring just to look for a discount before paying online!

another timely reminder to people that will help with stress-get your documents off to the accountant asap. It’s fairer on them rather than facing a massive workload just before the deadline plus the earlier in the year the better for us too. You will know the exact tax liability so can budget for it throughout the year , plus I find if the accountant has any queries on anything, it’s usually fresher in your own mind earlier on in the year

I ring and look to settle up account, payment made via card. Just make sure to know the balance first.if you do t ask you don't get

I find online banking handy. Aib will let you download transactions from an account in CSV ( Excel ) format for any date range. Very handy to put income and expenditure together quickly.

Key to making it easy is to have a separate farm account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭DBK1

Why do you have to print them out? I’ve never printed out an emailed receipt, all just forwarded on via email to the accountant.

Saves an awful lot of time looking for receipts especially when there’s vat returns to do every 2 months and there’s already not enough hours in the day to get the actual contracting work done.

Same as that, but I have to scan the other receipts to send on to Accountant, I try to keep everything as electronic as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭DBK1

I email on anything that came that way and the paper receipts I drop in to them. There’s never been an issue and it’s the quickest way of doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭nhg

We put in an electric shower beside the sink in the old dairy about 10 years ago, instant hot water to wash the hands & easy to give the dog a wash down when he needs it.

Two years ago put in an Atlantic water heater on a timer on the other wall for heating the water for feeding the calves. All near the sheds where the calves are reared so less hardship. Used to be bringing buckets of hot water from the house….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

We have have making tax digital up here. All receipts here are digitised and sent to an app called auto entry.

I can take a photo of an invoice and click a button and it uploads it and uses OCR to read of the details from it. Have never had to correct anything from it so far.

It then integrates with the accountancy software and does the vat returns. Accountant has access as well to do the annual returns and whatever else.

Frees up a lot of time. There is an expense to it, but saves organising paper invoices and suchlike. They are just kept in an intray as they come in and stored at the end of the period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭jfh

scan all receipts to onedrive folder which I share with accountant ,works well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Go to Lidl and buy every screw bolt nut on offer…………they’ll come in handy some day….

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m doing a bit of a live demo of some stuff that saves me time in this week’s YouTube video.

And I referenced this thread as the inspiration for the video 😀

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

Great video K. Have everything except those live pig tails and the mobile hint is some I must do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

Great video and the visual aspect really sells it. Thanks for the mention, I be down to collect my half of the YouTube monies 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Great video. where do you pick up those hot posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

If you are buying bits from Lidl or Aldi while they might seem appealing they are often more hassle then they are worth. There is a machine place beside me that sells spurious parts. Nearly anytime I buy anything there it let's me down when needed. Bought sheer bolts there recently when topping 1 day. I would have been as well off using a stick from the ditch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement