Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I actually am almost certain I have a chinesium version somewhere, I must dig it out as if I do have one? It's not where I keep my usual watch bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

There are good copies of them out there in the forty quid territory and they are night and day better than the tenner ones imo. The bracelet on my spb187 is difficult to install but a snap with this.

I bought a new to me Sinn 104 St SA W a couple of days ago via TZ-UK Sales Corner. The price was IMO far to good too pass up on. The seller had it delivered to my N.I address within 24hrs of payment. Would that every transaction was so smooth. It will be with me on Saturday but my Uncle has given it a once over and confirmed the condition as good.

I mentioned in an earlier post, that I'm ploughing a Sinn shaped furrow at the moment😁 That said? I am happy with each and every 1 of them. If/When I buy another? It may be in an effort to flip my IWC Spitfire for a Sinn Hunting or as part payment for a Damaszener.

My current crop of Sinns.

And my potential next Sinn(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Mighty collection Banie, which is your fave and why?

The bottom one on your wish list appears to be made of a kind of Damascus pattern welded steel?

Of the Sinn's my current Fav is the U2-SDR, it is a chunky watch but it is extremely versatile and marries well with every strap I've tried on it. That said, the U2-W always, always makes me smile. I do miss the GMT complication versus the normal version, but? I am a giant manchild and even tho I'm the only one who knows it's there. The engraved serial number of 069/150 will always make me giggle like Homer Simpson 😁. I mean this was one of the highlights of my honeymoon 😉

Of the entirety of my current collection though. The Blancpain Leman I picked up a couple of months ago from 893bet is the one that's currently the most on wrist. I'm trying to track down a reasonably priced strap and deployant clasp for it, but it is a wonderful balance of elegance and function in a very tidy case.

The Damaszener is precisely that. A pattern welded case and dial.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Family hairyloom. :) 1934 Zenith pilot's watch. once belonging to my dad, who in turn got it from a German ex stuka pilot he knew after the war. This particular design was very popular in central and eastern Europe. Here's famed German ace Adolf Galland(not an ardent nazi) wearing one:

The only other well known chap and defo not a nazi I've seen wearing one-and a Zenith centre second with it-is oul Bruce:

Absolutely huge for the time 40mm+ cases(mostly) to house pocketwatch sized movements(more accurate) black radium dials, cathedral hands, solid ribbon lugs, large crown for winding/setting while wearing aviator gloves. It was the first design to have a rotating bezel(internal. The external bezel like on diver's watches was also originally for aviation, invented by Longines). In English language ads at the time they were described as "Verge Rings".

Note how the chancers claim in a roundabout way they came up with the design. Before the trades descriptions act no doubt. :) I'd bet the farm it was a Helvetia under the bonnet. Even by the 1930's the UK market still tended to prefer to buy by retailer as much as Swiss brand name.

It's easier to list the brands that didn't have this design. Omega had one, Breitling, Heuer, Longines, Doxa, Zenith and a host of other now long dead brands. Who came up with the original design has been lost to time. The very earliest solidly dateable example I've seen was a 1929 Zenith.

My particular one has an indirectly driven centre second hand, a "complication" at the time. The vast majority had subseconds, as did the vast majority of watches full stop. Indirect centre seconds were deemed enough of a pain in the bum, that one way around it were the doctor's watches of the 20s and 30's, the long Tank style where the subseconds was made bigger, the main hands smaller, like in the Rolex Prince line. Zenith actually later invented the direct centre seconds that most watches have today. Patek had another design, but them being them it was overly complex, expensive and about as reliable as a baby's arse.

At one point 15-20 years ago these were very collectable with prices to boot. 2k plus, 6 for a Zenith centre second, about the same for the Omega examples. These days a) they're rare to see for sale and b) values and interest has dropped right off. 5-1000 quid for something like a Helvetia, 2K for the Zenith, 3-4k for the Omegas.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I have this a while now, I'm starting to get the itch for a new watch..

In a quite interesting follow up to my comments on Eisbach.

I have had a Twitter DM from their CEO complaining about a thread over on TZ-UK. That doesn't really do anything to address the points raised by others over there.

Such as the Eisbach website listing them as a subsidiary of KPSE, The marketing campaign seemingly being weird in that it is rarely mentioned on watch channels. With at the time of the thread over on TZ-UK, only 1 mention on WUS.

Further their CEO has confirmed that they intend to launch at $1800, and not the $999 price that was provided by their Sales/CS team. That was an error.

Now that error happened in July. Eisbach have been touting and marketing their brand since Dec.22. the erroneous price was provided 7 months into their brand awareness campaign and according to their CEO? Actual launch is still 6-8 months away and still, every image is still a render. 8 months into their imminent launch 🤔

Still they are a company that are on the ball and with a particular eye for detail...

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I was in Switzerland last week and called into the Omega Museum on the Sunday morning. They have a Swatch museum and shop across the road that they were busy trying to direct Omega visitors to, but it seemed that Omega visitors were there for one thing only, which was Omega. The visit is mostly done under your own steam but there is a 9 minute video at the start, the details of which most watch people will probably know already. There is an Omega 'boutique' on site as well which had a surprisingly small selection of Omega watches.

They do quite a lot on their role as timekeepers at Olympics and also a lot of the displays are dedicated to their ladies' watch collections over the decades. And plenty on both the Speedmaster and the James Bond link too. The replica of the moon landing module shows how small it actually was.

To keep this post on topic, here's a picture of my Seamaster '57 lume on a Speedmaster NASA velcro strap. These straps are amazingly comfortable (if ridiculously expensive).

That is the 'boutique', above. The museum is in the building to the left.

Post edited by fulladapipes on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,567 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Looking forward to diving this weekend, might as well, no sun.

(just embedded your pic for ya)

Post edited by Wibbs on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Looks like a great museum. They've a helluva history and nice to see them celebrate their truly cutting edge advances in the early quartz era too. 👌 Though one pic of their trench watch example jumped out;

Wrong hands.😬 Me being a pedant an' that. 😁 It has an open numeral dial which would have held radium lume. It would have had cathedral hands also filled with radium, not blued spade hands.

funny enough, a chap I know who knows I'm a watch weirdo asked me if I could "fix" his watch. Just needed a new battery, bezel numerals refilled, re-aligning of the hands and the bracelet claps fixed. And it's an Aquaracer too. 😊

Chunky oul thing, 27 jewel quartz movement with four separate motors and very TAG Heuer. Here it is with its granddad 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Did you say flip a spitfire?🤤

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I did, everytime I think of what's next for me? It's the watch that 1st springs to mind as the one to maybe let go.

That said, every single time I put it on? I can't face selling it 🤷‍♀️

I dressed up the Blancpain today with my Sólás salmon skin strap and the deployant. I have to say, I like it. May not be to everyone's taste but I think it suits the watch and the dial in particular.

I had planned on leaving it on the wrist for the rest of the day, but? My Uncle arrived down from NI with my new to me Sinn 104. I am a big fan, the bezel is lovely, the edge is tactile and the syringe tip hands, are IMO absolutely savage. The movement winding and crown clicks are very positive too and everything just seems so well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have gotten out of the filthy habit of only wearing my Timex Expedition Grid, a habit I had been in since lockdown started. Back wearing a different watch each week, this is getting some wrist time this week. Bought from Birneybau a few years back. It's a fine piece that hasn't been worn enough, so trying to right that wrong. (Yeah I fixed that bezel afterwards).

Post edited by Kintarō Hattori on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'f they'd had one, I'm sure they would have tried...

Did I? We can never let my wife see that post. As I have zero recollection of ever having that watch and my wife will seize on that forgetfulness as a means to stop me buying watches 🤣

Honestly, I remember some crazy coloured Invicta's but I'm drawing a total blank on a Lorus (I meant Orient, I swear 🤣) Now that said, I like the dial, and love the handset and nice to see some neon out there in the wild 😁

Ah now you're just confusing me. I posted an Orient, you're mentioning a Lorus! I was sure it was you who had sold me the Orient Mako XL. I'll admit my memory is shocking!

So yeah, I'm an eejit. Googled it and it was Birneybau whom I bought it from. The embarassment.

I don't know why I typed Lorus either 🤦 I meant the Orient, and somehow my sleep deprived ass mangled orient into Lorus despite literally having the image on my screen whilst I was typing.

Don't worry about it. You're sleep deprived and here I am telling you about a watch that I bought from you..... which I didn't. You've every right to be confused! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

First day on the wrist for this one after picking up here.

Loving it so far!

Really hope that it lives up to my hype 😉 I stand by my opinion that it is an incredible bit of bang for the buck.

Had an email from Monro re: their Kickstarter starting soon. If it is similar to indigogo?

Their "early-bird" price will be in and around £239. I do like their woodland green effort, but I must sell before I buy, or? My wife may ensure I die 😁

Now that said, given they are offering a 50% discount when you join their mailing list? I reckon "super early-bird" price on KS will be €199.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

This weekend's adventure, A trip to the Isle of Wight 🙂

My Uncle spends quite a bit of time over there gigging and loves it. Hope ya had a great trip IrishPlayer.

I'm currently lain up and very, very Man-Flu stricken 😟 With a bout of COVID. Must have pinged me/us at my brother's burial last Weekend. The Mrs went down 1st and unfortunately for me? Set an example of stoicism and coping that has set a high bar. A bar that I currently being wheeled under flat on my back.

Anyway, on to a pretty photo of today's watch 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

GWS, @banie01!

Love that Astronaut.

Will pick up one of these soon.

I think they are still lfying under the radar as a great aviation heritage watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Got a gift of an Eco drive recently, Nice day to day watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I had my Garmin on.. but I was here today with it

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What a stadium. Hope to visit some day soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,460 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Which one is that, it’s a very nice watch… have an eco drive myself , very fond of it.

Advertisement