Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But the establishment parties will definitely notice a drop in their vote if people don't vote for them, especially if candidates who are calling for controlled immigration take their place. 

But is there any indication that the highlighted bit is actually going to happen? Are such candidates actually running in any significant numbers? This guy sets out the extreme diffiiculty local council candidates coming from nowhere face in getting elected on a 'controlled immigration' ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Councillors might not have any power over who enters Ireland, but they can stop the government sticking them in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Nobody can deny for a moment that refugees, immigration and other right talking points are gaining traction in Ireland, especially on social media. But a big problem for the anti-immigration parties is that we have no real history of out and out right wing politics in Ireland. Yes, FF under Dev were a right wing party, but that was a totally weird brand of right wing Catholic fundamentalism, concentrated on morality and sexuality.

Another problem for these parties is that there are currently 1.5m Irish people living abroad. That is a massive chunk of the population and is unusual in European terms. Again, this makes things difficult for the anti-immigration guys, when we have exported so many people ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Also, what percentage of adults living in ireland cant vote because they arent irish citizens. I imagine in ireland that percentage is relativley high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

What ever about war. How bout getting these countries sort their shite and stop sending people our way. Make them more appealing to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There is some paranoia on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

I see a story about the modular homes. A family in Sligo talking about it and how happy they are. They have an income of €970 a month( social welfare) and pay 16% of this on rent .

We are a very generous country indeed.

I had to laugh today. Local St Vincent de Paul was selling off all toys etc for €1. And a local Ukrainian was robbing them. The mother had to go after her to get them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We definitely have a high percentage of non nationals, it is true. But all it tells us is that we are a high immigration and high emigration country. There are more Irish people living outside the country than there are non nationals living in Ireland - we are quite the outlier in the whole immigration / emigration thing.

• Advertisement

So who do we not want in social housing?

Irish people in need, or just no foreigners?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Juran

Social housing no. 1 priority should be for all people work/contribute and cant afford crazy rent and high house prices. That includes EU and Non EU (legal) workers. I stress the word workers. Also people with disabilities - Irish, EU, UK citizens, and non-EU who worked legally and contributed but now have a disability.

Second priority, should be for Irish, UK, EU citizens who are unemployed and make no effort to work.

Final priority should for non EU who dont work and never worked/contributed .. like the family in Sligo previous poster mentioned.

Thats how I would like to see my taxes spent.

Temporary accomidation is outside scope. Every person needs a temp roof over their heads regardless of who they are.

Post edited by Juran on

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Delusional stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

High immigration yes, what college graduate would decide to stay here with 0 accommodation, high taxes, awful over subscribed health service, awful public transport outside of Dublin and to expect them to raise their kids in this awful place? Of course they will go abroad.

Let's replace all our own highly educated kids with imported dole heads for life with all the bonuses that they have with that.

Let's see where we are in 20 years with this idiotic strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Up til now Independents have got elected on disparate, unconnected, local issues.

Things have changed. Today they are hearing the same issues all over the country. Problems related to immigration and the green agenda. Problems that need to be solved with policy changes at a national level.

Unlike political parties Independents have to respond to what their voters want.

Common problems requiring national level solutions - Independents are finding themselves acting as if they were in a party with a platform. Whether they adopt a formal structure or not.

That's the electable "party" of the right. Or an acceptable substitute for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Maybe accommodation should be for people here. Not people who just found ireland on a map in the last 10 mins

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

Quite possibly true. But personally, I would say a non irish citizen living here and paying taxes has more right to a general election vote than an irish citizen living in Australia for the past 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Nah - in a years time they could be living somewhere else and paying taxes there. Whereas an Irish citizen overwhelmingly inherits that status from their parents. Their Irish citizenship is just an administrative acknowledgment of their Irish nationality. They have a connection to Ireland that continues, regardless of where they work or pay taxes. A connection that person who simply works and pays taxes (lets just assume they do) in Ireland does not have. The non-Irish citizen in your story isn't going to support giving me - an Irish person - a voice in the policies of their home country. Why should they have a voice in mine?

Ireland is a country and a nation, not just an economic zone shared by the people who happen to work there at the same time. We're Irish, not just workers in the local franchise of McDonalds.

if they move to another country in a years time then they no longer have a vote here.

As an irish person, you wouldnt have a vote in the portugal elections because you dont live there. And you dont pay tax there.

If you did, then yes, you should have a vote there.

I am not saying irish citizens living abroad shouldnt be able to vote here, but i dont see why a spaniard working at Google in Dublin for 10 years and paying more tax than a 100 working irishmen shouldnt get a say in the way the country they live in (and pay for) is run.

What happens when we have 50% non irish born in Dublin?

Would we only allow 1 in 2 people the vote?

We are already at about 20% foreign born in Dublin.

We've got two clearly different views of the world. One, you view countries as being economic zones rather than expressions of nations - nations being people. You see GDP. I see people. Two, you think the issue of Dublin going from 20% foreign born to 50% foreign born is not a policy choice. It is just something naturally occurring event that we have to manage as best we can.

It isn't. It is a choice. If Dublin goes to a scenario where a minority of the people living within it were not born in Ireland that can only have occurred due to Irish government policy aiming for that outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

If those people can apply for citizenship and do then they can vote and welcome .

Irish people living abroad temporarily ie 1 or years should still be allowed to vote.

After that they are not voting for Ireland as it is but how they remember which is unfair to those actually living here .

I agree with you that people make nations.

But its hard to argue that if one person lives in said nation for 10 years, integrates into society and contributes financially and socially, that they shouldn't be allowed a vote.

Is that not the exact opposite of inclusion?

I am not saying Dublin should aim to be 50% non irish, I am just pointing out the idiocy of having a policy in which half, (or even all) of the people that live in a country cant vote on national issues but yet everyone that can vote lives 1000 miles away.

Its not about just financial contributions, its about societal ones too.

If the irish you speak of are so loyal and dedicated to their country, why dont they live here or contribute anything to our society?

No. You have to see the bigger picture.

The times they are a changin' and the day when ireland is majority non irish born will come.

Nationality isn't about inclusion. It just is. I'm Irish. I didn't choose it out of a list. I didn't learn it in some class. I didn't earn it by some achievement. It's just who I am. And by extension, Irish is whatever I am. Being Irish - or any other nationality - isn't some set of scout badges you check off a list. Like it or lump it, I'm Irish, I define what Irish is and I have a concern for the outcomes of policies for Ireland and other Irish people that I don't have for other parts of the world.

And by extension who pays taxes, or where they pay taxes has no value when it comes to defining who has a right to vote for long term Irish interests. Nobody has a right to buy a vote.

Like I said - we have wildly different views of the world. You view Ireland as just some economic zone where the aim is to maximise GDP by cramming in as many people as possible into **** apartments working in multinational call centres. Irish people don't.

The notion of irishness you have is just that. A notion. But of course, you are entitled to think it.

As I say though, your argument hollows out fast when the majority of irelands population arent eligible to vote.

You are focusing too much on the financial aspect.

Many people from other countries live here because they like it here and they contribute socially, as well as fiscally.

Irish people living abroad contribute next to nothing.

If ireland tomorrow is a land of non irish born, then thats what ireland is.

And even if those non irish born dont get to vote because they arent citizens, their children will be citizens by default in most cases.

The trajectory of change is clear.

You see nationality, I see people. People living in a country make the country.

People living and working in this country, make this country their home, they should be entitled to a vote as to how the country they live in and work in and pay taxes in works.

People make a country, not their ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

There is no such thing as a nation if anyone can show up and say a magic word then be granted all the rights of others who have lived there for countless generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hate to break it to you but there are many many Irish citizens who were not born here and we are still a nation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭pauly58

There was a good article in The Times yesterday about the soaring number of gun crimes, indeed it has the highest in Europe. The overwhelming majority of the people involved in gang crime are young men who were born abroad or whose parents or grandparents emigrated to the country.

Do the people with their placards saying all refugees welcome, seriously believe we are going to get a better class of refugee than that which went to Sweden ?

You must have missed all the gang related murders committed here over the last 25 years.........

Wasn't any foreigners involved either.......

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is about Ireland's refugee policy. Can posters please re-read the OP, and in particular:

"This thread is about refugees not people who migrate to Ireland for other reasons"

Advertisement