Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The government is hoovering up too much housing - the private working taxpayer is hurting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

When I say standards I mean every house having to achieve x rating etc and have ( supposedly) expensive heating systems is adding a premium for the builder - it can be achieved alot cheaper. People are paying top whack for supposedly A rated houses that are anything but A rated. The BER system is nonsense and needs to be looked at - there is dodgy guys out there doing this type of work that are clueless and making alot of money from builders for turning a blind eye

I was talking to a lady recently who is building a self build house - she said her builder is charging €50K for the heating install - when she looked herself at the cost of materials, €25K would be a reasonable price and the builder would still make a good profit.

Also there is alot paperwork etc( supposed to be done by contractors) that in reality is not done at all but is charged for to the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Corruption, from morning till night.

You can bet your piggybank that there's many a dirty hand involved in this shiteshow. Including the "solutions".

Why bother building anything at all, it's not to society's benefit.

Everything is geared toward a few people making untold amounts of money. Every move, every non-move, every policy, every lacking policy, every brick, every breath. Sin e.

So they pack out the country to inflate asset holdings, sell assets off to foreign holdings, (yes, including the government-guaranteed rent backs of "social housing" to buddy lobbyists and reits and every other vulture on the planet), and now they want the ordinary taxpayer to fund a new bout of housing that is of no material benefit to them either. Amazing.

Scamtastic. Con-gratulations on allowing this shower to make a mockery of you for a decade on the trot.

Look at the likes of RTE. That's what they're all like in these "institutions". The only difference is that most haven't been caught yet.

Place stinks.

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

I still do not understand why the Government is buying up estates.

Why can't a political party emerge that that there job is to clear up the mess and actually make hard decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

It isn't the government buying up homes, it is you that's buying up homes.

They are using your money to..

1 compete against your money. Artificially inflating costs for you.

2 these homes will then be used to house SOME of the people who are falling behind in society, but also the unending amount of extra people that are being facilitated into the country.

3 for more and more people falling behind, it is because of the outrageous housing costs. See point 1 and 2.

It's a circle.

A circle of profiteering for a few that is absolutely gutting society. And anyone that can't see this following a neverending descent for a fooking DECADE, every year worse than the last, is either non human or one of the profiteers.

I think it's more than fair, without exagerration, to say that the governmental institutions of Ireland do not work for Ireland. Anything that's still managing to stay afloat is despite them, not because of them. Everything that has fallen to bits is entirely due to them.

As to who will replace them, time will tell. But the vacuum of want left by these complete chancers would embarrass the milky way. Someone will fill it. Patience is very thin on the ground these days, so it'll be a rapid train of new party's going in and getting chucked out till a functional crowd appears that live up to their mandate. It'll be political diarrhoea to cleanse the system after this painful constipation.

• Advertisement
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

For those on housing lists including the less well off such as catering staff, childcare workers etc. and those unfortunate enough to be without a job.

"2 these homes will then be used to house SOME of the people who are falling behind in society, but also the unending amount of extra people that are being facilitated into the country."

Logically, would this not imply that not enough social housing is being purchased and/or built, rather than too many as I think you are arguing?

There's a lot of logic gone amiss these days. Very profitably going amiss.

Yep, there isn't enough housing. But why?

The governmental institutions are simultaneously

1 facilitating more and more extra people into the country. They've been at it for nigh on a decade. They know there isn't enough housing. They've known that for the better part of a decade too. So....

2 competing with Irish people to buy up the already insufficient housing. Hmmm.

Occams razor, the quickest step to likely reality is that its all purposeful. We already know the vast amounts of wealth involved in the housing crisis. Well, it has to be going somewhere.

And it's all that easy. No, fook all the complex economic shenanigans and tall tales, it IS that easy. I have zero doubt that it will all come out in the end. When, who knows. But the truth always rises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'm assuming this is just a geographical thing. There boys getting let go won't travel and are planning on doing bits and pieces till the company has another local build. Because there is nobody that's any use getting laid off in construction right now.

Fewer workers than 2017 in the industry and higher outputs. Subbies are turning down work everywhere as they can't get labour.

Every young fella in building is hopping on a plane. Can't afford rent or petrol. About 50 or 60 apprentice brickies in the whole country. And most just waiting to leave. Crazy situation and going to lead to worse problems in years to come.

Given that we are never going to moderate flows of people into the country, more council housing is needed as greater numbers of people push up prices in the private market.

But like I said earlier, more should be done to increase supply in all sectors, properties for purchase, private rentals as well as social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There an awful lot of bollox going on this country. And it's more than time to just say it out straight: this is pure bollox.

More money than ever, yet less of everything else than ever? Come again?

Lower unemployment than ever, yet affordability is in the gutter? Excuse me?

More people than ever rocking into the place, but there are less and less teachers/guards/nurses/builders/you name it than ever? While every shed and outhouse is packed across the country? Say what?

It's all a load of bollox. That's what we're being sold, complete and utter bollox from a core group of rotten profiteers that have run the country into the ground.

Bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

As part of such a scheme you could have a clause that the owner could only sell back to the government and it would be for a fixed price.

Essentially getting rid of any profit making potential for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Then why not the State just providing accomodation at a differential rent to everyone. People would apply for housing, choose same, everyone pays xx% of income as rent. Remove housing as an investment. Win-win for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Thats fine as long as it is long term and as long as when people get to retirement age they don't have to pay any rent that is one of the prime reasons people want to buy rather than rent.

The important thing is more houses need to be built and the private sector has proven to be incapable of doing that so when that is the case the state needs to step in and build more to fill the gap.

I don't really care how they do it as long as more houses are built for the benefit of people who live in the house not landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

two centre right parties? you mean the ones with worldclass social welfare, free housing etc. Peasants on 40k losing half their salary over that amount, those centre right parties?

Genuine question, why feel so strongly on one grey area, when they offered a lot more than FFG in other areas? FFG just went whatever way the wind sent the kite when it came to picking a side on the pro choice debate...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

For the people who serve your lunch and clean your toilet and look after your elderly parents and young children and answer your phone calls - the people in the sh1t jobs who never have a hope of buying a house.

• Advertisement

Parties with highest cost of 3rd level, refusal to build social housing (as per this thread), underfunding public services straight out of Thatcher's playbook of pre-privatisation, allowing private medicine in public hospitals. Yeah them.

They are only "left" if you look to the USA as your political barometer.

PS: Next to no one gets "free" housing. Stop spreading misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No one on €40k is paying half their salary in tax.

I know that, but they lose fifty percent of it over that pittance

oh really? when one poor fool pays 2k for a new build one bed apartment and social housing tenant pays E30 a week etc, with the free money they are given, which wouldnt even cover the yearly management fee for an apartment, we will just agree to disagree. But I am sure you think its "FAIR" that the poor working person, only pays around 70 times the rent that the non worker pays ...

the uk and republicans are far right compared to what we have . Are they described as far right in those two countries when they are in power? This place is a total banana republic, literally nobody to represent a substantial portion of the electorate. FG the party closest to the centre, but on the centre left, choose to look after welfare recipients, before working people. That is how far this country has sunk...

Imagine a party that would sort out the workers and housing etc, over prioritising welfare recipients, then imagine that the hoards of young emigrating, actually stayed here and voted for them... LOL! The corrupt duopoly, coalition of failure, wouldnt like that. Let me also point out, I fully expect SF to be as bad, if they get into power... possibly worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Abortion was the last straw that made me conclude they were simply a right-wing dustbin rather than a committed economically liberal party. They had the right taxation policies but their euroscepticism and immigration policies were big no's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"underfunding public services"!!!!!

There have been continued large increases in public expenditure.

There are massive overruns in the HSE every year.

I spoke to a senior local authority official recently, they are getting loads of funds from central Govt.

They have lots of other issues, but not lack of funds.

Private provisiin of healthcare is common across the EU.

"Underfunding public services". Let us check that. Over five years:

pay & pensions up by 33% from 21bn to nearly 29bn

Goods and services purchased up by about 70%!!

Social benefits up from 28.6bn to 37bn

The government have indeed transposed a 213% increase in quadruplepops to the quangosphere, this is true, meanwhile let's not forget that the buttering of toast has not only doubled, but also double-doubled to levels of buttery not seen before the second fiscal fifth of King Tubby of Telly's reign.

In case people are losing the run of themselves in poindexter cosplay, fewer and fewer people give a flying fook about the reported gobbledygook and are increasingly noticing that this whole shebang is becoming 1+1=3 on a living, day to day basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭jhansynk10

I heard a story over the weekend from a Gardai friend in Templemore. Herself and her family were in receipt of a rented house. owned by the OPW and managed by the college for the last two years. She then received a letter from the Civil service saying they wanted the house back as the OPW is allocating housing to Ukrainians. More and more Irish are being pushed to the back of the queue, this will go on to breed resentment.

Advertisement