Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC23 Warmups - Ireland v Italy, Sat 5th Aug, KO 8PM - TV: RTÉ2 and RTÉ Player, Amazon Prime Video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Earls is getting nostalgia caps I'm not sure he deserves at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

yep the first performanace of the year with a fair few players who arent going to france or wont be in squad for a quarter is evidence of anything.

It was a game to shake off codwebs. pray no injuries and help decide a few more squad places. the other 2 games will say a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

"Mistake" is harsh. He had a solid enough game, got over too.

We aren't exactly replete with top drawer Looseheads, but we do have solid ones and grafters like him will be needed for the attrition of 4 pool games.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

2 of our starting XV took the pitch to begin with and both were out of position. 2 more on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I can see him making the plane. Hes the kind of player you want on the pitch against Romania and Tonga. Experienced and Covers the middle and means you can rest others.

He can do an important job in france.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Great result. Even though the errors were a worry for parts of the game. We had secured a lot of good possession and territory in the match. We had some great performances from Crowley, O'Brien, Casey & Doris. What do guys think of the scrum in the 2nd half. Was it better than the first half as they looked terrible than.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

First half was better. Anyway, roll on to the next game.

They're not nostalgia caps, they are more because of what he brings to the squad as a whole. But his play just isn't good enough to justify his off the field contribution anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, Earls will give always give what's he got - tough cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

O'Brien's kicking is a bit "hoof it back to them". Wouldn't want him lining out against the All Blacks. Good positioning, but there's miles between him and Keenan.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Stockdale and earls very soft for Italy tries....

Earls will be brought as head cheerleader....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Quite a few Italians went off injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

It shows Ireland simply don't have the depth to win a World cup. When Ireland lose a good few players in the World cup( which they will when they have massive physical games in their group) they are in deep trouble. This game is a pyschological blow to Ireland. There were Irish players literally scratching their heads after that game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

What about France, whose B team lost to a Scotland team today who were down to 14 for half an hour? Do they have the depth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

This game isnt anything like that, Certainly not the massive failure you are making it out to be. Frances second squad lost to France. Much more concerning for them than us beating Italy like we did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

That's the best I've seen Henderson carry in a long time. Was very abrasive and looked fit.

Joe McCarthy is just not the type of player you can leave at home in my opinion. He's a monster.

Crowley impressed too as did Baird.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

By all means show us the teams through history who "lost a good few players" and escaped trouble?

Or even take the last three World Cups. What key players did the Boks lose along the way in 19, or the ABs in 15, 11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

My two cents, will be interested to hear others takes.

Good performance for the first match back, rusty at times but you'd expect that with the side we had out and it being the first of the season.

MOTM for me was Doris followed by Crowley. Henderson and McCarthy played well also.

15 - JOB - tidy performance, kicked well.

14 - Earls, mixed to poor. Showed up well in the last 20 bar the tackle, which was poor. If that was his last game it's been a pleasure to watch him throughout his career.

13 - Henshaw. Poor performance I thought, don't think it's a coincidence Earls got very little ball.

12 - McCloskey - I don't remember much from him, maybe someone can fill me in. I'm a fan but it looked like the partnership with Henshaw wasn't great.

11 - Stockdale - very mixed, a lot more error prone than Earls and his errors were more glaring like the very poor attempt at a tackle and not passing the ball. Some good moments for the highlights reel but on the whole I'm not sure he advanced his cause.

10 - Crowley - a super game I thought all things considered from a young outhalf. I thought he really stood out bar a couple of spilled balls. Defensively sound, lovely passer. Place kicked well. If I'm honest I think it's a better performance than we've seen from Ross Byrne at this level and if Byrne played like that I'd say this place would be in overdrive... but Byrne will have a chance to strut his stuff too so we'll see how he goes. Some indecision at times but he backs his footwork to get him out of trouble. Took an amount of punishment and kept coming back.

9 - Casey - good 40+ minutes from him, great tempo, some good kicking, did his usual quick penalty to win another one.

8 - Conan - unfortunate to get injured, hope it's not serious. He looked okay walking around after. But he wasn't playing well at that point. Outperformed by his two counterparts. Bar one carry and a link pass I don't remember a whole lot -was he one of the latches for a try maybe?

7 - Doris - deserved MOTM, super player. He was doing the job of his counterparts for them at times

6 - Baird - POC will be furious with the technical penalties but he did well outside of that. How was his ruck work?

5 - McCarthy, a very good game. Not sure I'm on the MOTM bandwagon but maybe if I watch it back it will become apparent. Good physicality from him.

4 - Henderson - the better of the two locks for me, great to see him back doing his stuff.

1-3 - as a unit I'm not sure they advanced their causes. I thought our scrum was better in the second half which might say enough in itself.

Subs: Great to see Nash get a run, don't think he's a contender. Prendergast had a chance to steal a march on Coombes, especially with Conan not performing well to boot... and I'm not sure he took it as well as he'd have liked, nice carry and offload aside. Blade didn't do much to advance his cause, he had plenty of time to do so. Frawley seemed to combine well with Crowley. Delighted Stewart got time too, nice steal at the end. Beirne reminded us of his prowess on the deck.

All in all a good day out, not a complete whitewash and we've some things to work on. Hope the injuries aren't bad.

These were some of very few players to boost their world cup prospects. Stockdale's and Earls careers are over unfortunately

Andy Farrell mentioned Henderson and McCarthy, and Doris as well. Fine game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You must have missed the part where i completely agreed with you.

I reckon we shouldn't travel to france at all because those injuries are definatley 100% going to happen to us, and they wont happen to anyone else so the foregone conclusion of a QF exit is essentially just a ridiculous waste of fossil fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

Don't feed the trolls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

We won by more tonight than we did in the most dominant 6N in history.

Just for perspective.

Didn't the all blacks win against France with a 4th choice out half ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

what does that mean? are you referring to our win against Italy in the 6 nations this year?

just for perspective, Italy were rubbish tonight. that win wasn't ireland dominating Italy into mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Mistake in taking him over Loughman or Milne imo. He didn't have any impact around the park that I noticed, and was so so in the scrum. I don't know that he has the engine for the game at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It's funny how differently we view players, Kilcoyne did an awful lot more than Furlong when he was on the pitch.

Advertisement