Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I was surprised that Stockdale got the nod alright. Balacoune has a lot more potential for me, think he suffers due to the role Ulster have him playing. Thought he did fine vs SA myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I think it’ll be Coombes, Prendergast and McCarthy fighting it out for a spot. With McCarthy ultimately winning out in the end.

Prendergast is a better rugby player than Coombes, apart from 5m out (where Coombes is world class) and potentially discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He probably is lucky, but given his proven ability if there is a chance of getting him back to that after a prolonged period in a higher level environment than Ulster then it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm not sure I'm reading you post right.

I like the team you suggested, but if Henderson is fit, he'll play. Ne t week off. England are our only challenge pre world cup.

I like Coombes. Excellent player, but may enjoy the holiday in France.

Aki is not second choice 13. Where on earth did you get that from? Henshaw is. They can interchange during the phases, put not second choice 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Stockdale is better under high ball and a better kicker.

Farrell seems to hate wingers that can't do their share in those roles.

Joe Schmidt once said that all wingers should be able to play fullback. Farrell seems to agree in that he rates core fullback skills that are usually secondary winger skills higher than speed and illusive running.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Be nice if they thought to take the tag off the jersey

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Damn but Frawley is a big man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

You read it wrong alright.

Henshaw is second choice 13. My point was even though I presume Henshaw is first choice 12 they may spread the starts around so Aki may start against England.

I’d disagree that Henderson starts ahead of Beirne two matches in a row. Particularly when he will have gotten a start already this weekend and Beirne only off the bench. Unless something happens in the match that Beirne comes on early. It will be interesting which two locks start against South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,364 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

On route to Dublin, first rugby match since 2018. Is what it is in terms of time selection and 8pm start but everyone playing today will be stake a claim for a World Cup place

One thing about these Summer Series games is that we have a horrendous win record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Stockers is back

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Blade has played himself off the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Stockdale was awful for that try!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

Stockdale was poor for the try but collectively we seemed very narrow in defence at the time but he should have gone lower in that tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Stockade saw a lot of ball and went looking for it to his credit, but he made a lot of mistakes, bundled into touch having run 15 metres towards the sideline, a couple of turnovers, that tackle. etc. I don't see him being capped again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yeah I felt a glimmer of excitement when he caught a box kick from casey in the first half, and thought "ok Jacob, that's the first box ticked"

But I don't really think he ticked many other boxes. Nor Earls for that matter.

Not that Earls made bad errors, but neither of them made me feel like they should be bumped up the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I think Earls hitting 100 will be a big plus for the team morale, so much of rugby team performance edge is psychological.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don’t know if there were any sweeping conclusions to take from that game. I thought Crowley and Casey looked good as a pairing. I was very intrigued by crowley as a second playmaker at 15 but he is too raw there defensively.

Thought Henderson, Baird, Doris, McCloskey all shone.

edit: on the next game, i really think coombes is probably starting. Seems to be they wanted to try Doris at 7. Then, they’ll change it up and go something like Prendergast, Coombes, JdF with a more experienced front five in front.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well if it was straight shoot off between Stockdale and Earls it's Stockdale 1- 0 Earls.

Earls showed all the intelligence, pattern and intuition you'd expect from a 99 caper, but none of the X factor. The difference. The reason to be above the rest. His best attribute to date is he's a slower JOB.

he should get to 100, off the bench versus England or Samoa, but my god does he need a Worldly to get himself on the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭TheRona

Earls is a good reflection of how far Ireland have come. Even at his peak, he's just not good enough for what Ireland have become.

He wouldn't have gotten remotely close to 100 caps for almost any other top tier nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

both sentences are garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭TheRona

How so? I'm not Irish, so I wouldn't be viewing with any provincial bias. I just don't think he would have established himself as a stalwart winger (or even been selected in some cases) for the likes of NZ/Aus/SA/Eng/Fra.

He's been solid enough, but he doesn't have the strike rate of a top winger, and he wouldn't stand out defensively or under the high ball. I guess you could say he's dependable, and that has its benefits.

Just my opinion, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Earls will travel. Farrell is a fan of what he brings to the group and, simply, we don't have enough alternative options to leave him out. He's fortunate that's the case though as his play in 2023 has not been good enough to be in the Irish squad. If Conway was fit and had game time this year, I'd imagine Earls would be in trouble.

But there's very few who would begrudge him the 100 for the career he has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

Yes Henshaw is 2nd choice 13 and 3rd choice 12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

He can get his 100 cap in the warm up

I wouldn't bring him. Stockdale has more upside to be honest. But I do think Farrell will bring him as he seems to rate Earls around the squad etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Impossible not to love Earls, particularly from a human perspective. I do think there would be a hint of sentiment if he makes squad. It will be a tight call, but if it comes down to a straight choice between him and Stockdale, I think you have to go with younger stronger athlete. We are talking about the squad at this stage, Lowe and Hansen will be starters, but who is next best in line in case of an injury? This is question Andy must ponder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

One of the Sunday papers is reporting Sexton will play a training game against Portugal team this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

would love to watch it.

Advertisement