Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Has anyone else noticed this? I've looked at a number of properties not long on the market and once asked, the EA will say they have an offer of the asking price amount. My own theory is they're just trying to put a floor on bidding above the asking price or don't want to say 'no offers yet'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

🤣 It is like the EA mantra... I think they are thought at weekly national courses what to say... Like Zoombies... Repeat after me... We have offers in X. Gob@@@tes.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

What would they stand to gain from doing this, apart from putting off potential bidders?

We were first viewing on our property and immediately bid €20k over asking before anyone else had seen it. I don't think it would be rare for most places to have an offer at asking straight away, depending on where in the country you are and what the asking price is.

You know what,... You sound like a gelous woman! You are green with envy this relative got a better house than you.

As for siblings, if they are truly love you, they will make the 1.5 hours trip to see her and new baby.

Living the life

I got a 4 bed semi-d in Dublin, near my kids schools, their friends, and our extended family. Exactly what we wanted.

They got a bungalow in the middle of nowhere, and are already talking about selling up.

Jealous indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mykrodot

you are indeed lucky to get "exactly what you wanted", not everybody is a lucky or can afford to live 10 minutes from kids schools and family. Its dog eat dog out there now and most people have to make huge compromises on what they "want"

Maybe your relative could only afford a house 45 minutes from the city and not 10 minutes. In the long run as Dublin is getting more and more crowded and social housing demands increase population density , congestion and indeed our safety, I think I would prefer to bring my kids up in a more rural area.

On another note when I had my kids my sister lived in Donegal, another sister in Kildare, another in UK. We had most bank holiday weekends and holidays together, Christmases, Halloweens etc. In some ways you make more effort and stay a bit longer when you live further away. Great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 EchoEmber

During a chat with our solicitor yesterday, he mentioned that the seller paid the entire property tax for the year, but we would have to pay them them the balance from when we buy the property. So say we close in September we pay them back 4 months worth of property tax. Is this a common thing ?

Don't get me wrong. Our house is far from perfect, and we definitely overpaid. We'll work away at it over time.

My relative could easily afford a house in Dublin, but they just didn't think there was value. They're now realising all the many inconveniences that come with where they live, and are having huge regrets. There's many common sense things they just didn't think about when they bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

mykrodot, yes. We have SA agreed on our house for a good while. Decided to check out a 5 yr old build in Citywest yesterday. Advertised for 485000 I am pretty sure. Vendor himself showed us around, lovely house, but others like it, completely new builds, for 435000 or thereabouts. A lovely job was done on the attic conversion. Placed a bid of 460000. Now stands at 515000, which is beyond our budget. We are middle aged, hub is retired and I am 57. We have a combined 75 yrs of paying tax to this God forsaken country. There is something seriously wrong if we can't afford something decent.

• Advertisement

Have to say, the EA's I've been dealing with are straight upfront when there are no offers. You can see them coming in when the platform is online.

However, there is yet another house in the Celbridge area that we are also bidding on, but you can't see the offers online. Bidding is via email which i am a little suspicious of. They could tell you anything. They have a name very similar to another reputable EA, and when I phoned, I was on to the reputable one who warned be about the other one, making it clear they had absolutely nothing to do with them whatsoever.

If we don't get sorted with a house soon, we are going to have to stay put, and keep polluting the environment.

you sound like you did what was right for you and well done on that, even if its a work in progress. Yes its very hard to know what is the right thing to do, everything changes when kids come along too and suddenly a new mum can feel very isolated. I hope all works out for them as once you leave Dublin its almost impossible to buy back into it.

its sickening. I've never seen anything like this before. I have bought and sold 4 times in my lifetime and am now on my 5th time! I am also semi-retired and sold my house in Co Meath last year, moving South West to Kerry to be closer to my daughters. I thought I got a decent price for my house last September (320K) but have found it impossible to get anything down this area for the same price in as good condition . Most are ex-rentals and even so the prices go up in multiples of €5K a few times a day!

I had bought a B2 rated house in North Kerry last November and discovered it had NO insulation whatsoever, rising damp and water ingress from a "hidden" rotten window upstairs which had been blocked on the inside. I managed to get out of the sale on breach of contract grounds but since then have searched everywhere (Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork) and have never seen anything like the price inflation this time round. Prices are no longer cheaper in rural areas, its a level playing field everywhere.

I finally got Sale Agreed yesterday on a little gem (3 bed semi-detached) in a small private housing estate of 10 houses on the crossroads of the Dingle Peninsula and the Iveragh Peninsula.... 17 mins from Killarney, 16 mins from Tralee, 5 mins from Killorglin. I can't tell you how relieved I am and I NEVER want to go through this process again. Its frightening now, I feel so many houses are being bought by councils, charities, online bidders from abroad, there is huge competition. God help any young couple trying to get a start (and I've 2 kids in that age group). Its dog eat dog out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

Yep, we reimbursed the remaining months of LPT to the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Should be two months if its September, September 2023 and October 2023. If you actually end up buying after 31st of October 2023, say the 1st of 2nd of week in November, the seller has to pay 12 months and then buyer reimburse for those 12 months

That's it. We left Dublin, worst decision we ever made. Regretting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Daniel112

Went Sale agreed at the end of May on a house. Sellers solicitor sent on the paperwork and contract end of June and our solicitor referred back with more questions. We didn't get a response then until end of July with more documents/ planning permissions being sent to us. Our solicitor has referred back again with more questions. Recently the estate agent has contacted us on behalf of the sellers saying they are frustrated at how long its taking and what's the hold up. If the Estate agent is to be believed the sellers have also discussed putting it back on the market but he's talked them down for now. This has us very stressed especially when we are doing everything we can on our end to push this through. Any advice or experiences of your own would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Did you tell the EA that all the delay is with the Sellers Solicitor. They would be delighted to know this as they can really push the seller on this instead of you, its not in the EA interest for drawn out Sales. They are not going to get paid until sale is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

How far away from Dublin did you move as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I've met a fair few Chinese people at viewings.

One family were in a house with us once and when the husband thought no one was in earshot asked the EA how much could he get per month in rent for the house, his wife noticed me and snapped at him in Chinese and he gave some spiel about being a "first buyer". They hopped into a luxury motor and drive off shortly afterwards.

I've nothing against people from other countries buying homes here, but with the newer Chinese people who arrived in recent years there's a level of wealth behind them that the average Joe soap can't compete with.

The prices houses are going for these days has really been come mind boggling. I've seen places that needed full refurbs, rewires and new heating systems required going well over 50k above asking price and beyond, lots of sales falling through when people realise the interest rate increases over the last while mean they'll be eating the grass in the garden for dinner when they move in.

With the way things are in this country currently this will only continue to escalate in the next few years unless there's another massive recession which is no good for anyone either.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

We moved to the midlands, Co Offaly, about 40 miles from dublin city centre.

Seems they're able to research potential properties for purchase, but researching rental prices for properties in the area is a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I found it strange, maybe he was hoping the estate agent was going to exceed his expectations and tell him he could make even more than he thought.

Any other time I saw Chinese people at viewings they were just pottering around like everyone else.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

The problem really is, do people/investor think the crazy rental prices will last indefinitely ? I personally don't think so, plus with the additional laws/rights that renters are getting. It is just going to get harder and harder for landlord to get back their properties.

Sure the rental market is gold mine at the moment and maybe for some time in the future, but when it doesn't you would expect these foreign investors to cry wolf and potentially the Chinese embassy calling the Irish government to protect assets of Chinese people rather than the people living in them.

Yes, and the Indians too. We are looking to buy around Celbridge/Maynooth/Leixlip area, which is near where I work in a public job, taxed to the gills.

These non-Irish people are mostly professionals working for big multi-national companies not paying tax on this Island, hence can afford to pay larger salaries to those employees, much larger salaries than those of us paid by the government. It is not an equal playing field and this issue is creating a major part of the problem. Gardai/nurses/teachers etc are being priced completely out of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

This state is 100% not true - "multi-national companies not paying tax on this Island"

You will find that most of the MNC actually funnel most of their profits from Europe through Ireland and pay most of their taxes here. Think 10 of these MNC pay almost 50% of all the corporate tax.

I work in one of these MNC, and my wife works in the hospital as a nurse. I earn almost a 1/3 more than her, I think she works way harder than I do and deserve more money. But that isn't under my control.

5 Years ago I got a job offer to work for the public service, it was 30% less than market rate hence I didn't take it up. There are certainly decision you can make to improve your salary. Having a public sector job has its benefits and its negatives. Blaming other cohorts isn't the right answer. Sure I earn more money than my wife, but I also pay more tax than here too.

Exactly my thoughts.

Honestly between vulture funds and Chinese buyers, will local people be able to buy much!

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

Ireland would be a good investment idea for Chinese investors.

Chinese investors that have money stuck in China have to buy properties in ghost cities like Ordos. Those are a terrible investments.

That is their issue over there. And keep there. In China.

The indigenous person doesn't give a fxxk where Chinese investors need to invest.

Irish people need a roof over their heads. Who cares about their (Chinese) 'terrible investments'?

An Irish Government policy needs to be put in place protecting the Irish citizen first and foremost.

Next election will see a major outage of FfGg. Waste of space, the lot of them.

• Advertisement

My thoughts exactly.. Who cares about the Chinese investors 🤔, invest in China

Living the life

Advertisement