Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Imagine if there was social media after the 1983 All Ireland final. I'd say we were at the height of being disliked after that game. I used hear insults in the 90s about 'Only the dirty Dubs would kick a man on the ground'.

The team from 2011 to now have been so exciting to watch that i feel we gained the support of a lot of neutrals again. In a time when the blanket defence was threatening to be the next big thing this team dismantled that idea with players full of skill and front foot football. I don't get the feeling we are hated universally. There will always be some who do but there's a deep down respect there i feel that has been earned the hard way.

Mick Galvin has highlighted two moments that really ignited our year; James McCarthy's wedding in Luttrelstown Castle in December and a training block in Portugal in April. Clucko attended the wedding and that probably started the ball rolling for his eventual return. James Mac really can do no wrong. Even on his wedding day he's doing all he can to get us back to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't think there is any hatred amongst most people. I for one have great respect for the Dublin team, and would shout for them against the likes of Derry, Armagh, Tyrone etc. (I don't have a bias against Northern teams, I just mean those that play such a defensive structure).

I think it is just people don't want the same team winning year after year. Same as Kilkenny some time ago in the hurling. For some reason, Limerick don't seem to be getting that reaction from the neutrals yet. Most people I spoke to still wanted them to win 2 weeks ago (including myself).

I was at the match on Sunday, and found myself swaying towards Kerry - the only reason was to see David Clifford collect Sam as captain, after the great performances that he had on the pitch all year (well, almost all year), and on account of their mother passing away couple of months back. Other than that, I was hoping both teams would just leather the shlte into each other!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is the pantomime villain thing I suppose, an equal 'enemy' makes things more fun. Some like the Meath and Dublin lads of the 80's 90's became great friends off the back of it going to golf societies and all sorts. They could 'switch it off' when the game was over and there was mutual respect.

But on the other side of things Mayo v Cork of a certain era seemed to properly hate each others guts.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Watching it back Cian Murphy and Sean McMahon did really well when they came on. They ran the bollox out of the Kerry forwards trying to chase a turnover but they never looked to take risks on the ball. They'd run, open some space and look to find Kilkenny or Fenton to orchestrate the play. It was well worked. We were utilising our most accomplished playmakers without them having to do massive amounts of donkey work to get free.

I said it before but Fenton was **** unbelievable. They can talk all they want about Clifford. The chap is a super player and an even better lad by the looks of it but jaysus how can you ignore what Fenton has done in the last two games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Agreed, cometh the hour, cometh the man, applies to Fenton every time.

When you look back on his career, the last twenty minutes of critical games is when he comes to the fore. He wins ball in the middle of the park, whether a high catch or a turnover, appears to glide past players and strikes crucial points. A real great.

If comments on here anything to go by looks like Brian Fenton may be in with a strong shout of Player of the Year. What is it with Dublin midfielders named Brian? Fenton, Mullins, Stynes and Howard. Top notch one and all.

I didn't know about Cork v Mayo hatred but definately Cork v Meath in late 80s was a dark time with neither teams players talking until the untimely death of Cork goalkeeper John Kerins in 2001 which saw Colm O Rourke and a few Meath players go down to the funeral. Terrible it takes a players death to bring old sparring partners together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Another player of that cork team, Mick McCarthy died in a car accident at a very young age.

And Teddy McCarthy recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm surprised that Raheny don't see much success with the 2 Brian's and Sean McMahon in there ranks. There underachievers on the Dublin SFC scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Don't think Fenton lined out for raheny in the championship last year.

Open to correction on that

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Goodigal

I loved how ecstatic Fenton was at the final whistle. You'd swear it was his first AI medal. Shows what it meant to him and the rest of the team.

They don't have the bench to compete and Raheny are not inclined to accept 'blow in's' although they recently got in a former Mayo goalie - Rob Hennelly. That was a rare exception.

I think the problem with Raheny they always struggled for a forward to finish off chances that are created as well.

That was why I was half joking saying Raheny should get Shane Walsh from Galway to see how far he could take them. Maroon colours and all, would be a much greater challenge than Kilmacud Crokes.

The backbone of that Raheny team was built on the Minors from 2011 or so. Those lads should be coming to an end now in a few years, when I think of it.

They have a fella with the coolest name in Gaelic Games as far as I am concerned - 'Rutherson Real', I think his family background of Filipino origin.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

He first missed the first game as was on travels. Definitely played at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Raheny wouldn't be in top 8/10 clubs in county. Their support cast wouldn't be great outside 3 county lads, Robbie Hennelly and Darren Byrne,. Had a few lads that played underage for Dublin.

The RTE Podcast - three journos, Ciaran Whelan and Tomas O'Se dissect the AI and the implications going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

He is a great bit of stuff too. Been a great player for them for the last decade.

Supporting cast is too weak for Raheny and Dublin club football is too strong. They generally play the two Brians in the middle of the field and have very little threat up front. I dont think they have any issues with blow ins but they wouldnt be an attractive destination for the top players and I doubt there would be any "perks" available.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just before the Kerry goal we were in a position to go 2 ahead and start to turn the screw just before half-time. I turned to my brother on that attack and lamented that we better not let Kerry in before HT. And lo and behold... we played too much ball, turned it over and it went out to Dara Moynihan...

EDIT: I had completely omitted how we nearly won that kick out after Cluxton's point and didn't have the second/third man to pick up the breaking ball. Which tbh, was a constant issue all day. If we played a bit like Tyrone in their heyday, we'd have been out of sight.

Until then, I was ridiculously calm. Reminded me exactly of the 2016 SF where Cluxton lost his head and we went in down 2-8 to 0-9.

That was an awful HT. 2023 was similar, but I also knew, we would have the beating of them in the last 10. If we were within 3 at that point I was confident we'd win. You still had to scoop me up from the 305 steps at the end mind you.

Post edited by BonnieSituation on

So what you're saying is that they're not perfect...

Jesus Christ, are you for real? Have you ever been to Ulster?

• Advertisement

Again, you've never been to Ulster I take it.

As for the no grá, there's enough of ye up here... Nothing stopping an exodus... ;)

Despite all we've achieved (lol, we) over the last 12 years, there was one statement, and indeed, it was from a Kerryman, that said it all:

"The thing is, Dublin play like you're not even there" - Colm Cooper

I think it was specifically referencing James McCarthy iirc.

I really do hate when Ulster teams get tarred with a defensive brush. That 2005-2008 Tyrone team were spectacular in attack. Bar Dublin, that 2008 team is my favourite team that ever kicked a ball.

Secondly, re Limerick, I was there a fortnight ago, and I was also cheering for the Treaty. The thing about Cody's all-conquering KK team; they were a bit dour. This Limerick team are the hurling equivalent of the 2013/2014 Dubs or Max Verstappen last year or Michael Schumacher ca. 1999. They're beautiful to watch and you can't help but want them to succeed regardless of the obvious domination that is to come...

His "entrance" into the game around the 50th minute was ridiculous.

I decided to stick on the TSG coverage of the game earlier, so I'll be eagerly waiting the "screw-turn".

---

Can we just also state how fupping important Cluxton's first score was. Completely calmed us down after the earlier miss and set the tone.

I'm not surprised. I've been lucky to have been at all of our finals since 2011 (bar 2020 obviously) and this one was easily the best of the lot. Everyone was elated like I've never seen them before in the ST crowd.

I'm rewatching it with some Weihenstephaner Pils. I'd highly recommend. Dara Moynihan has just passed to Clifford at 37min...

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Goodigal

Agreed. I was at 2011 and it kinda felt a bit like that to me again. But I didn't bawl this time!! I've watched it back once, might watch again next weekend 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

it actually seemed that way from a neutral point of view too , you could see it meant as much nearly to dublin people as 2011

i am in the precarious position living in west clare where they are loads of resettlers , my neighbours are dubs , but the tradition is to support kerry , a vast portion of people here follow kerry in football same in west limerick and the kerry people follow either us or limerick in exchange , hence buff egan

it was a fantastic game but most of my work college's on monday saw it as a junior B game , maybe if we could steel mick bohan or jim gavin or even both off ye they might change there tune 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It was great to see dessie so ecstatic in particular, he personally he always seemed burnt out and under pressure 8n any interview. You could really see what it meant to him

Advertisement