Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Day Week and Flexitime

• 03-05-2023 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I work in a Civil Service office 4 day week. My colleagues work a 5 day week and get flexitime. Am I entitled to it? My boss said no 3 months ago. Some of my colleagues said I'm entitled to it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I work an 80% pattern in the Civil Service. This means I work a 4 day week. I work flexitime and my carryover limit is 9:12. I can only work up this flexi when working in the office. I am surprised to hear that you have been refused flexitime. You might need to check with your HR department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

If others in your department have flexi, then you should also have flexi.

Again, the question I have to ask all the time on here: are you in a union? This is what they're for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

When you say you work a 4 day week, do you mean you are a 0.8wte or your work 4 longer days but as a 1wte? I ask because for admin staff in my work, public service rather than civil service, a 1wte working longer days cannot accrue flexi but a 0.8wte working the standard day can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Are there other people in your area with similar work patterns and who can accrue flexi-time? Look at the patterns. Do your research. Is it just you? Or is it everyone who is working a 4 day week? Then speak to your union. They are up to date on all the discrimination and other legislation. You may find out that it may just be a misunderstanding by your manager. But you won't know until you start asking questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

As mentioned in an earlier post, I work an 80% pattern, i.e. a 4 day week. Usually I work my 4 days in the office so I can accrue flexi-time. My department only allows flexi accrual in the office. During a recent flexi period I worked one day from home and was minus 58 minutes on my "home" clock after clocking out that day. At the end of the flexi period I had exceeded my carryover allowance which is 9 hours and 12 minutes on the 80% pattern.

According to the flexi guidelines, any minus time on your "home" clock is deducted from your flexi accrual going into the next flexi period.

In my case, my carryover allowance was reset to 9 hours and 12 minutes first and then the 58 minutes was taken off.

I appealed this as I understood from the guidelines that minus "home" time is taken off your flexi balance first before a reset takes place if you exceed the carryover allowance. My appeal was unsuccessful.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I have not experienced this, but I would imagine HR's position will be that as you can neither accrue nor avail of flexi while WFH, you're supposed to work 7 hours. Therefore you have to "pay back" or account for the -58 minutes. Seems a very harsh and one-way method of doing things. Definitely worth some pushback via the union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Same policy in effect for my department. Working a 5 day week, so the maximum carryover allowance is 11 hours 30 minutes (9 hours 12 minutes is 80% of that). Any time in excess of 11 hours 30 minutes on my office balance is wiped. If I was to have a negative balance on my WFH clock, the 'system' deducts the required time from my office balance to restore my WFH balance to zero.

In practice, I've only had it affect me once, losing approximately an hour on my office balance, then having 13 minutes taken off my 11 hours 30 minutes to make up a shortfall on the WFH side.

It is a bit annoying, but I just make sure to keep my WFH clock in the positive at all times. Maybe if you asked HR to reset your WFH clockings for that one day, as a one-off gesture?

Advertisement