Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

That assumes gas prices are the same in June as they are in December. Higher gas consumption overall in winter so I assume prices go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Higher demand isn't always higher prices, particularly when the seasonality is predicted and the entire infrastructure built around it. What makes prices go up or down is rather unexpected supply or demand variations (mild or harsh winter), not expected ones (average winter).

Doesn't seem to be a seasonal price pattern (UK) https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/uk-natural-gas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

my 12 month contract with sse is up on the 17th. The rate was 32.32 vat inclusive. Standing charge was 66 for the year.

based on now is the flogs community best? it seem so.

do any experts reckons prices will fall soon with others?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭con747

The government hinted at more measures in the budget to help people with energy bills, a lot of analyst's think prices won't go down. Worst case you can cancel your contract and pay the €50 exit fee if a much better offer comes along.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

What's worrying is a lack of vision and competence on the supply side. It's bonkers that the whole country is powered literary on gas alone for days at times. That is what is doubling our price of electricity.

It is taking too long to bring volumes up. It shouldn't take 20 years to scale up and clone the Arklow Bay wind park. Now finally work in progress.

Different to volumes is tackling a peak demand. It appears there's a consensus that we'll need gas for a foreseeable future. No, we shouldn't. Which country in Europe gets 90% of peak electricity from gas? Not even Russia, country with the biggest world gas reserves.

There are numerous solutions. Existing hydro technology for example that only needs to be scaled up. My flatmate did part of his PhD on possible dam feasibility 15 years ago. Yet there's one miniscule lake called Turlough Hill reservoir operational nationally. No vision of scaling up.

Hydro dams are relatively cheap and proven technology, and can be done taking into the account country's obsesion with brick and mortar.

France operates one nuclear plant per million inhabitants. China is planning or building almost 100 right now.

We're the rich world. Our salaries are on par with Sweden and Germany. Their children get free lunches in schools. Our children pay for sandwiches at a petrol station.

Gas, isn't it?

• Advertisement

I can't find any analyst saying prices won't go down. When I google it, I see pages of results filled with articles of analysts saying the opposite, that they will go down. Can you be more specific?

We are building an interconnector with France to import nuclear.

The Ukraine war is relatively recent in the scheme of energy. We are redesigning everything for renewables and removal of coal and peat. Gas has been cheap and is greener then the other, we had the infrastructure.

I am all for critising the government. This isnt one. Everyone would have made the same decision over the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've been seeing those since January. Still no movement on the bills.

I made the mistake of not jumping to flowgas in march when my contract was up. At this point I've spent 240 euro more than I needed to. Bord Gais would have to drop prices to 20cent for it to balance over the remainder of the year if prices do fall, they won't be far under 30c this year to make switching now worth it.

Just make sure to set a reminder in your calendar for 11 months time so you don't get rolled onto flowgas normal rate of almost 60c.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

If kids are buying their school sandwiches in a petrol station, then they're fairly well off, just like Sweden and Germany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

I am not with you on this, the government is totally to blame, the France interconnect has been in progress for a long time I think 7 years. it takes 10 years to plan and build a generation plant. Domestically we are all using less energy but industry is using more and we have a limited supply.

There is no plans in place for a new substantial generation plant. Dublin is getting some short term load levelling gas generation plants. Yet the greens keep mentioning they want to shut moneypoint yesterday.

So we all will compete for the same energy and pay more. Off shore plants have been slow in the uptake due to government red tape. Domestic solar uptake has been slow due to price gouging by the industry. We are well behind where we should be and there is no chance of us catching up

Interconnectors take a long time to plan and build. It will come.

If we were to build another plant, it would be gas or coal. Gas was a band aid to carry us over while we build up the renewable sector. Then Russia invaded Ukraine. **** happens.

Anyway, this isn't the thread for it. We won't agree. No point in derailing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

This 👆👆

The internet isn’t for everyone

You're right that there was a lot of talk, but I don't remember analysts saying, back in January, that prices were going to fall in the first half of the year. And I wouldn't blame them for discussing the future and not the present.

They're also not saying that we'll see a massive drop from the start. Quite the opposite, it's going to be progressive, and we won't get back to prices we had when we imported cheap Russian gas.

But it's simply not true that analysts are saying prices won't drop. Just because people are frustrated because prices don't drop as soon as they wish and as much as they wish, doesn't mean they should misrepresent what analysts are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ah lads, please stop..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads, final warning please.

Can you please take the debate about if prices will rise or drop elsewhere, will start deleting posts / banning.

This is bargain alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Had a great year on Energia EV plan but its over for me early September saved a fortune on it.

Is the Flogas day night meter urban the best deal currently ? Or the waterpower variable?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I switched to flogas dual fuel offer on Friday using the website (39c per kWh electricity) - rates shown at the URL below. Are these the cheapest rates or is there some other link to register?

Need to know before the cooling off period expires.

Post edited by thejuggler on

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the1eyedsnake

My contract with board gais ends on the 26th, can i switch to flogas now or do i need to wait until my current one expires? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Wp night rates are terrible compared to Flogas, I'd go with Flogas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Clutching at straws here but my 1yr contract for elec and gas is up with Bord Gais in about 28 days. Is there any way to sign up to the Flogas community offer now and have it kick in when my BG contract ends. I'm worried the Flogas offer may end before my contract is up. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yeah, that is the daily rate - €0.6602 per day which equates to just over €240 in a full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

I was told they couldn't delay the start to anything longer than 5 days from the sign up, something to do with the meter reads which I don't think is the real reason.

It may be worth just exiting now and taking the risk if they apply the exit fee or not. BG appear to be hit and miss when it comes to applying the fee but I reckon in most cases the contract is up in a couple of days anyways and they leave it off. 28 days might be a stretch though.

Post edited by .E_C_K_S. on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im in the same boat as you with my Energia EV plan running out on Aug 20th. We really did have a great run with that plan but now the downside is prices are just shocking. It looks like we are going from 30 cents day 10 cents night to 41 cent day and 21 cent night with the Flogas fixed plan. It will be a doubling of the night rate for me which is a pain as Id saved quite a bit by shifting about 40% of my electricity usage to the night rate by running the dishwasher and washing machine after 11pm. I guess the EV plan got us off the hook for the last 12 months and now we are going to get absolutely ridden.

During sign up there's an option to delay the switch until after the cooling off period. Let's you switch 14 days before your contract expires

Did you look at the Flogas Community Plan rates? Only sign up online if you ring they will say you can't get it. https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-community-plan-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html 33.38 day and 14.75 night rate including vat. As said above people have used their cooling off period to push out start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

So if I signed up with energia on 5th September 2022 with the cooling off period delay what date could I sign up with the flogas Community plan?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

Going by people who said they used their cooling off period to push out the switch around the 15th of August. Just make sure it works so you don't get caught for an exit fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Is the community dual fuel 1 year fixed plan different to rates I got above? If so I will cancel and reapply in a week or so.

Advertisement