Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

I think he'll be back unfortunately.

The longer he's off air and the dail/pac being on holidays combines to dilute the initial public anger.

The only thing that might throw a spanner in the works is if the rank and file within rte refuse to engage with him and make his day to day life within the organisation unbearable.

CPL 593H

• Okay, so go work for the ESB for less then? Be the change you want to see.

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

All posters are reminded to stick to the topic of the thread. No backseat modding. Do not comment on other posters. Warnings applied to posts/posters are not visible to other users. Any issue with any post or poster please report it and let the moderators deal with it. Any issue with moderating please contact the forum moderators by PM to address it.

A number of posts have been deleted from this thread today for commenting on other posters and moderating.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He could claim bullying or discrimination in such circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And this is why you need posting quotas on new accounts...groan

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

I am not really sure how that makes any sense. I'm sure it does not. Would me arriving there as a cleaner lower their average much?

But to clarify, the change that I want to see, is in rte. I do not know who first started using esb as an example - it may have been me.

It could just as easily have been almost any another semi state company. I was referring to the average wage, not the individual and clarified that I understand and accept that the qualified employees deserve a decent wage. I do not see that same similarity in rte. I was also likely referring to an older average of the esb as a company overall, as I now know the ceo salary has been more than halved, which would have brought down the average.

Other posters have been on here defending the rte average salary because it is on the southside of Dublin. Which I assume is basing it on them living in the more expensive areas of there - which is a very limited point of view given that there are also many more affordable areas to live on the southside too. I recall now, that person was also the first to use esb as an example to which I replied. It was never a like for like comparison. They also left out many factors and seemed to just focus on a small area.

Regarding another post above, I do not believe that Tubridy alone not having his contract renewed would be enough to have most people back paying the licence. But I do agree with the same post that "Rte radio 1 mornings are going along OK without him. He's not the messiah. Cut him loose, save the huge wages and regain some credibility with the licence payer."

Credibility, yes, but I am not sure that the majority would be content with paying the licence fee again.

My opinion [and that is all it is] is that if Tubs is brought back for any length of time it will relight the ire. Then rte will need to back him 100% or let him go, but at that stage the damage will have been done.

There are far too many factors in this mess to take in.

Bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmm….My guess is the union will be a player in this.

Possibly negotiate a good ‘sweetener’ to the great unwashed and everything forgiven and forgotten, and they can go back to stiffing Jon Q Taxpayer like the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Southside Dublin reasoning is a red herring. Many RTÉ staff live on the Northside of the city, and in the surrounding counties.

Likewise, RTÉ have regional offices and staff in other parts of the country. To use the location of South County Dublin as a reason for high salaries is “bonkers”, not true, and daft logic so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I agree Brenner. The sight of the lot of them out in the car park crying with temper looked more like anger at exclusion rather than disgust and disappointment at the org (and the most trusted man in Ireland) pulling the wool over peoples eyes.

If they get looked after, there won’t be a peep out of them, and Tubridy can get a statue in the reception if he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

I haven’t been considering this whole omnishambles from the unions’ POV, but other recent posters have correctly pointed out the power and influence that they hold.

Of course, this has turned out to be a massive opportunity for them to trade off Ryan’s return for concessions. And the VS schemes available to executives but not, it seems to ordinary mortals, just adds grist to the mill.

Any deals with the Unions will be packaged up as part of some sort of half ar$ed “restructuring” programme, designed “to transform RTE” and provide the “respected, reliable and trusted broadcasting service that serves the needs of 21st century Ireland”. I can hear the bullshit phrases on the press releases already. (Side note to KB; Kevin, I’m very happy to draft that sort of sh1te, I’ll even invoice ASTUS as “Consultancy” to keep it easy, if that helps)

Net result, more WTFery, new coat of paint, new logo, no real change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

At this time that’s the way it’s heading Mr Pee, already the delays and obfuscations are ramped up.

RTE radio, Tub’s bailiwick has gone into ‘music and repeat mode’, the Dáil is not sitting so the pols are concentrating on local issues

All these requested ‘reports’ by the various committees seem to be hard to find… October being mentioned a lot.

The Team NK subtly and not so subtly gone in to bat…not so much for Tubs but to keep NKM to the fore and the regime that was so kind to them to the fore.

The ‘warhorses’ from the carpark has disappeared from the scene, no doubt gone to the ‘little place’ in Provence or similar.

I see Tubs slipping back sometime perhaps on the back of ‘legal difficulties’ but personally I doubt he will ever have the ‘clout’ he once had.

That balloon has burst I think.

In my opinion KB will try to regain the health of that outfit without major surgery and it will be back to the status quo by the time of the Toyshow.😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

If Tubs had any other options he would have left RTE already. If this was the UK no way would a presenter head back into a BBC after such a high profile incident

Issue is Tubs has nowhere else. So for all the spin about how great he is, now everyone know he is not. He is lost without RTE and an example of some of the terrible people RTE have hired in the past and gave huge wages to because they had to keep hold of them. we all know now that is a lie and nobody else wants these people or would ever pay them the wages they are on.

RTE could turn around tomorrow and offer Tubs 100k a year and he would have to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mr j tayto

"RTE could turn around tomorrow and offer Tubs 100k a year"??

That's twice as much as he's worth, in my humble opinion. He was only ever there because of his family's connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I wonder has Noel Kelly thought about cutting his losses with Tubs and focusing on his other talent. Tubs is clearing tainted and impacts the NK brand. It might be easier to get him off the books or negotiate a poor short term contract just to shut down the bad press. I would imagine NK only cares about the money at the end of tha day.

Tubs certainly has nowhere else to go and his salary was hugely excessive.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Issue is Tubs has nowhere else. So for all the spin about how great he is, now everyone know he is not. He is lost without RTE and an example of some of the terrible people RTE have hired in the past and gave huge wages to because they had to keep hold of them. we all know now that is a lie and nobody else wants these people or would ever pay them the wages they are on.

I think that was clear to most people a long long time ago, but anytime that there was a mention of the fact that the 'talent' such as Tubridy, Darcy, Duffy and the rest were being vastly overpaid it got shouted down by RTE - 'sponsorship, revenue, ads' and so forth.

Tubridy is desperate absolutely desperate to be back. That was plain from his performance in front of the committees. He literally knows no other world except the RTE bubble. And yet all those years he was being paid an astronomical salary to keep him. Keep him from what exactly - the BBC or any other major channel weren't exactly headhunting him.

It's absolutely sickening to think that after all of this, there's every chance he will be back preaching goodness and kindness before the year is out. Because he has nowhere else to go and because Bakhurst has not got the backbone to get rid of him.

The reason always given by RTE as well was that other channels wanted the "talent". Which turns out to be rubbish with agent confirming nobody ever came after him. So RTE are outbidding RTE to hold onto people with nobody driving up the price. So they drive up the price themselves. Talk about idiots.

Even if RTE don't have the balls to fire him, if he had any sort of pride in himself he would have left. Especially after that showing at the PAC. Goes to show what he is like, if anyone hadn't figured it out before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep and if he does come back, Backhurst automatically loses the dressing room. I predict Backhurst won't last a year either way.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Doubt it, NK is just as bad as Tubs. The two seems to be so far up their own bottoms they have no idea what is going on in real World.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Exactly, and I think some of the RTE representatives at the committee hearings said as much.

They were competing with nobody but themselves when it came to what they were paying the 'talent'.

• Advertisement

2 weeks of intense PR training and pac boot camp

That saying was put out there by mr Noel Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This is not the judiciary, if Bakhurst doesn't show meaningful strength of character here, can the Minister (it's a pity we don't have a proper one in there at present), direct that he be dismissed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Going by this article, Tubs will accept any kind of return to RTE. It doesn't seem like it's in any way certain that he's coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

I'm inclined to think he won't be back for a good while yet, because in June, licence fees went down by over 1 million and then another 2.7 million in July. That's nearly 4 million euro lost in two months on the back of one person. How much will it be in August? Will it nearly triple again? That's not even mentioning Centre Parcs pulling sponsorship. Yeah, they pulled out just prior to the whole thing kicking off, but there was always a chance of negotiating a new deal and there's no chance of that now. That's €295,000 gone. Will Renault be working with Tubridy again? They'd have to be bloody insane, and that's another (reported) €750,000 a year gone. That's another million gone, on top of scaring off other potential sponsors. That's nearly 5 million euro in two months, along with a huge loss of public support when they come around with the begging bowl and a heightened scrutiny into their finances going forward. Can you think of anyone worth that kind of financial headache? Maybe someone like Tom Cruise and even then I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

It’s been mentioned a thousand times already but it’s worth repeating it that as everyday goes by it shows just how worthless this plank is. There is a smell of desperation emanating off everyone of these articles, nobody except a select few in RTÉ want this guy back or in a job elsewhere. If he wasn’t such a transparent and colossal arsehole you’d almost start to feel some sympathy for him, He is and the situation is pathetic at this stage.

---------------------------------------------

Warning applied for uncivil posting

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

I think he's in a state of shock, having come to realise that the world doesn't view him with universal adulation and respect. This goes waaayyy beyond his departure from Twitter some time ago because it was "unkind" (i.e. uncensored and honest).

He is however, surely, self aware enough to realise that life outside the bubble he's lived and "worked" in for the last three to four decades will be very different. He has more than enough money, and seems to live a relatively modest, if cossetted life. I think he is more concerned with celebrity and credibility at this stage, and were he not so greedy, he could have held on to both.

I don't believe his guff about walking away from the LLS either, yet another lie from the Toyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It's also unkind to recieve the public's money for work you did not do.

It's also unkind to lie to that same public: assuring them that you have taken a pay cut in solidarity when you know you did no such thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

This nothing burger, which will blow over quickly, is rapidly developing into a Category 5 Shitstorm. Met Eireann might name it "Storm Ryan"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement