Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC23 Warmups - Ireland v Italy, Sat 5th Aug, KO 8PM - TV: RTÉ2 and RTÉ Player, Amazon Prime Video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

Not sure what Stockdale offers based on that performance, he's not finding gaps pr breaking tackles, doesn't have te pace to burn on the outside and a non-existent off loading gsme

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It was a C team, really. Four of the starting XV are arguably second choice in their position (Woki, Macalou, Dublin, Jalibert). Everyone else was 3rd choice at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think people are being incredibly harsh on Stockdale. He wasn't great overall because he made some significant errors. The tackle for the try was brutal. He turned over the ball softly once or twice.

But he also had a lot of positive involvements. He popped up everywhere around the field. He made one brilliant catch and also showed brilliant power to offload out of a maul that few other backs could have managed.

Farrell wants "messy" wingers who pop up around the park and that's exactly what he did in the first half. Almost a third of all our metres made were from Stockdale.

I would imagine he's disappointed with his second half but his first half showed a lot of promise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I think the poor tackle attempt trumps everything positive. Couldn't be trusted in a tight match. I also don't think he has the all round game to match his rivals for the squad position but the tackle attempt is the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,250 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Right now, it's very tight. If Earls goes, that leaves one spot between multiple guys. A lot depends on whether they want cover for the midfield or for the back three.

Without doing anything wrong, I think Nash actually went further backwards last night than Stockdale or Earls. He was brought on last which suggests they're not as interested in getting a good look at him. He got 20 minutes and didn't really get involved. He touched the ball twice in 20 minutes compared to Earls and Stockdale who got 16 and 20 touches respectively in their 80 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Has anyone taken a punt and named those they think are on the plane yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭VayNiice

Earls was poor tonight. Stockdale made some notable mistakes but was far more involved at least. Both made poor tackles to concede tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think he was forced into that when JOB hot hurt. He wanted to see Frawley at 10 so the only option was to move Crowley to 15.

It was a fairly ragged team towards the end with lots of players out of position. Prendergast at 7, Earls at 13, Crowley at 15 with a really inexperienced 10 and Blade at 9 who wasn't playing at the same tempo and cadence as the team expected.

I thought Doris was incredibly good, but he did give away about 3 penalties. One of which was pretty brainless. Needs to maintain his discipline even though the game was a bit of a shambles by then.

The team was thrown together in a manner where some players were in the mindset of of 'heres my chance, i won't get another' which doesn't lead to a cohesive team performance

Stockdale was busy, loads of involvement but he would have been better if he was bringing his teammates into the game instead of trying to make the big plays himself.

Kilcoyne had loads of involvement too, but many were not that effective. Hitting rucks but not impacting them, getting stopped dead when carrying

Earls did ok but I would have preferred to see more of Nash with Earls maybe coming off the bench where he could still cover centre (although he's only a barely passable centre option when we're stuck)

Henshaw was anonymous for me and McCloskey was the most impactful of the 2 starting centres. Not everything worked but he asked more questions of the Italians and so created more space. Henshaw delivered nothing to Earls in the whole game so Earls was in a sweeper role until he moved to centre

I thought every player made a few disappointing mistakes. Nobody had a flawless game and the first 20 minutes were very laboured and it wasn't until the yellow card that Ireland were able to cut open the Italians when the half backs injected pace as the pack started to deliver clean ball.

The game against England will most likely be an almost first choice Irish selection against an English squad with a massive amount to prove. Ross Byrne needs to show what he's made of here. This should be the game to solidify the pecking order behind Sexton. Ross can lay claim, but only if he puts in an impressive performance, the kind we would need against South Africa and NZ/France

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭letsbefair

It was a poor Italian effort and we were not put under anything like the pressures of a serious game. The coaches weren’t over the moon. It is more likely a few guys played themselves out. Defender wins big games and you can’t afford missed tackles, cheap turnovers and handling errors at the level of World Cup quarter finals. Andy will be ruthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

In comparison to what NZ, South Africa and France showed in their first games this summer with heavily rotated teams, I think we looked pretty far off the pace yesterday in comparison to them. NZ annihilated Argentina, SA dismantled Australia, and a 3rd string French team ran Scotland bloody close in Edinburgh, while we laboured past Italy at home. I think we (once again) saw that our "depth" isn't quite as good as some would like to believe. We'll need most, if not all of our first XV fit and in form if we're to get past the quarters.

O'Toole, Henderson, McCarthy, Doris and Casey are the only players who I'd say had "good" games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Lots of reasons to select Earls in the 33.

Sentiment, squad cohesion, experience, known entity, good basics. For that reason I think the other options have to out perform him in these warm up games. Based on yesterday Earls has held his slim advantage on both Stockdale and Nash. Stockdale got a full run, and imo that was his shot, his two defensive lapses will have hurt his chances despite his decent involvements elsewhere.

I think we might see Osbourne cover 23 against England and Nash get a start in the last game.

England Game

Porter Kelleher bealham Ryan Threadwell pom vdf Coombes jgp Byrne bundi Ringrose Hansen Lowe Keenan

Kilcoyne Sheehan Furlong Murray Crowley Osbourne Prendergast/ Baird

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

On the plane (27)

Porter Healy Sheehan Kelleher Herring Bealham TOT

Beirne Ryan Henderson

Doris POM VDF Conan Baird

JGP Murray Casey

Sexton Byrne

Ringrose Henshaw Aki

Hansen Lowe Keenan JOB

Very close

Kilcoyne (if we bring 6 props)

Mccarthy

Crowley

McCloskey

After that I think you've maybe six or seven guys fighting for three or four places.

I would put Stewart, Osborne, Treadwell, Blade and Nash as the least likely to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I was extremely impressed with Casey's kicking game. What was once an area he needed to improve is now a strength of his. He put in a variety of different types of kick, each one on the money. His distribution was excellent as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Haven't been as involved as previous years but I wouldn't read too much into that game for the team as a whole. It's just a game for fringe players and then used for match fitness for the others. I would imagine guaranteed squad players do not want to play in the warm ups in case they get injured. You can also see the intensity yesterday was well below international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Furlong missing here? Crowley is on the plane at this stage too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

You put your first reason to select Earls as "sentiment"?

Bloody hell.

Yes of course Furlong.

I think it's Crowley's spot to lose, probably 90% there, but the coaches really seem to like Frawley so I wouldn't call it a done deal just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭VayNiice

NZ have gone full strength all through the rugby championship so not comparable. The springboks have been hit and miss.

I wouldn't be worried by Irelands performance at all. I can't ever remember an entertaining RWC warm up game.

My only concerns are Jack Conans ankle/foot and JOBs shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I reckon AF has picked his squad and beyond injuries it would take someone having an absolute nightmare to shift them out. These are effectively pre season friendly matches so I can’t see say Stockdales performance yesterday having much baring on whether he goes or not. It was the first hit out of the season that’s it.

There is a tendency here and in the media to over analyse the single performance when I’m sure the coaches are looking at a hell of a lot more.

Which is exactly how it should be imo

After a four year RWC cycle and six weeks of camp, it shouldn't matter if one guy shoots the lights out against Italy and another guy had an off day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Yes, is it not a consideration for you?

Without it he doesn't go for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

After watching the game yesterday I think Crowley is pretty locked on as third 10.

It depends on how you read it.

I think the plan was probably to sub in frawley at 10 at maybe 50/55 and then either move crowley to 15 or just take him off. JOB’s injury short circuited that a bit.

To me that was bad for frawley in terms of making the squad. If he plays at 15, that promotes his versatility and utility back is an easier spot to take. Going as the third 10 would indicate something just astounding in practice because he hasn’t really done anything to show he is a better 10 than crowley in games pretty much ever, including yesterday.

OTOH, Crowley played well at 10 for 40, and then got to audition at 15 which helps his chances or making 23s.

I mean obviously anything can happen but it would be surprising to see frawley over Crowley at 10. It would really be on the extreme end of going with the guy you like. At some point you have to show it at your province or for ireland somewhat recently. Frawley hasn’t really done either ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I wouldn't pick him on sentiment, I'd agree if Conway was fit he'd probably have overtaken him. But he's not and he hasn't. I'd prefer him to Larmour and Stockdale, even at his current age.

Funnily enough I'd nearly be more concerned about our midfield's inability to put our wingers into space. Earls got very little to work with bar long passes out to him. He came looking for work more in the second half, and obviously saw more when at 13.

Crowley tried his best and did well to set up people around him, but I thought our 12 and more so our 13 didn't create much with ball in hand. Against a poor Italian team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭phog

He's not being picked on sentiment, that's only a view being out forward by a few posters and it looks like it's to wind people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I think the last two sentences hit the nail on the head. You could apply the same logic to Harry Byrne.

I'd say after that performance and the body of work he put in the latter half of the season especially with his club against the sides and what was at stake, Crowley cemented his place. It's just a question if he can overtake Byrne.

Frawley is the next cab off the rank if Sexton is injured to be part of the squad and even then I'm not sure he benches. Maybe I'm calling it wrong and Farrell has bigger plans for him but 1 cap at 10 against the Maori and a subs appearance yesterday versus Crowley's body of work, I'm not sure it stacks up. Or maybe his versatility will get him on the plane.

We'll know more soon enough, injuries could (sadly) play a part in what fringe players make the cut also

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

Crowley and Byrne will both travel, it's really down to what the prevailing order is going to send as at this stage.

But with Frawley, I think we're all talking about Sexton being injured, but what if one of Byrne or Crowley do an ACL or something first week in France? I think there's a desire to get him minutes so we can manage game time for the first/second choice if one of Sexton/Byrne/Crowley end up with a tournament ending injury. I'm not sure he'll travel, but getting him some game time during the warm-ups could still end up standing to us.

Say Byrne ends up going home... Would much rather have the option of starting Crowley with Frawley on the bench against Romania than Sexton having to bench for that game. We're not as reliant on Sexton as we were, but he still key to us having our best chance to progress past a QF. A little investment in Frawley if it helps manage keeping Sexton fit and available will seem like time will spent if the worst were to happen for Jack or Ross, imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Crowley cemented his place. It's just a question if he can overtake Byrne.

100%. This is way more of a live question than whether or not Crowley makes the 33 at this stage, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Crowley has played 12 for munster recently, his versatility at 10, 12 and 15 makes him very valuable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't think Stockdale showed anything to warrant a spot on the plane. He looked a long way off of the quality of our starting wings, even accounting for this being a warm up game with a scratch team. He doesn't have top end speed, and seemed to struggle to beat his man on the outside in situations that Lowe has shown an ability to. He doesn't have the playmaking ability of other options, and his passing is comparatively poor.

I think it would be a poor look to take him or Earls at this point. Objectively, they aren't playing at the level needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

Some really brainless moments from him though. He ran laterally about 15-20 meters to get bundled into touch and flung a blind off load to make a bad situation worse. Against a France or NZ that alone could have been a try. He had a lot of hunger for the ball which was impressive but he made some howlers that will live long in Farrells memory.

Advertisement