Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Well, it is nonsense.

To suggest that an investigation should be driven by anything other than evidence is, obviously, well, ......nonsense.

You keep saying that

What's your reasoning

I can't argue the point if the most intelligible point you're making is " nonsense"

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

Maybe there was intuition statistics etc applied. We don't know

In my view, the suggestion that anything other than the available evidence is evaluated to begin and to progress an investigation is without any merit whatsoever. I know of no case that has been investigated, presented at court, prosecuted or solved without evidence.

Furthermore, I find it inexplicable that anyone would see it differently.

I hope this is now clear.

• Advertisement

Evidence is used in court to prove a case

However that doesn't mean investigating gardai slavishly follow available evidence

They use experience and know how to lead them in a direction that will provide the evidence needed

Otherwise cases would never get solved

Evidence forms a part of an investigation strategy

It's only a part of a wider picture

Evidence for sure is the end goal designed to prove a case

You're changing the argument now

I was arguing against your point that an investigation is led by evidence

Of course an investigation is led by evidence.

If a murder victim is stabbed, and a knife is found beside the body, with fingerprints on it..............then what should be the direction of the investigation if not pursuit of the evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think that if the bottle of wine could possibly be connected to the killer ( like it was on airport CCTV when the killer bought it ) then the killer would not have left it in a field in front of the house. Suppose the killer was so careful not to leave any DNA evidence ( and the police was really diligent in gathering all the evidence wich is also a bit in doubt) he would certainly not have left it in the field near the house. He would have destroyed it quickly, or drunken it quickly and in the company of none.

Also, as far as we know the bottle of wine doesn't prove anything. By today's chances it would be likely that the bottle was bought in France after security control in duty free, or in Ireland at the airport, but back then, - in pre September 9 -11 one could easily bring a bottle from anywhere in France on board a flight and in hand luggage.

Sill, it is odd and out of place. It's a lose end and it's too valuable and too expensive and too close to the murder site to be unanswered. No fingerprints on the bottle at all? - Then it is likely that it wasn't there by accident and whoever placed it there didn't want it traced to him.

The problem is that in absence of evidence one would have to focus on motive. No matter what way you look at it, the motive for Bailey is totally weak, it's not even clear if there is one for him at all. The problem I also see is that those who believe Bailey did it, always insist the motive was sex. Sophie certainly wasn't raped, nor was it attpemted rape. The other problem I also see is that those who believe Bailey did it, draw parallels to Bailey beating up Jules. However Bailie took it out on Jules not other women? Or was he in the habit of beating up women in other places or circumstance, like in the pub, or under the influence of alcohol? No, it was always Jules who had to take the hits and beatings.

Most crimes are about financial gain or financial loss, something in relation to drugs or something sexual. You can do your own guesses where Bailey would fit in. Some of us just find it odd to unlikely, that a man like Bailey hiked for 1 hour after several drinks in the pub to visit a woman at 2 am at the earliest, to have sex with her.

• Advertisement

Sure that will form part of the strategy

Say for example a wife is found stabbed in her home , window broken to gain entry, items strewn around

That doesn't necessarily mean the gardai are looking at a burglary gone wrong

The initial available evidence may be misleading

This initial evidence will be taken into consideration and weighted and evaluated

Detective work is a wider picture than blindly following evidence

This initial evidence will be taken into consideration and weighted and evaluated

Of course it will...and thats my point. You say "taken into consideration, weighted and evaluated. Thats what I say too. I used the word led.

Detective work is a wider picture than blindly following evidence

I never used the word blindly, nor would I.

Hey look I made my point

Subsequent posts you're moving the argument around

Adieu

Using wordings like "blindly", "la la land" or "holywood scripts" is totally out of place.

It's easy to get into a disagreement.

The interesting thing is that there isn't much to disagree on, as there is so little evidence. And none of us was there at the night of the murder so none of us know.

As there was no DNA or any other evidence on Sophie's body it will be impossible to link the murder to anybody.

Thus it's unlikely that the murder will ever bee solved.

It's more the stuff people like Jim Sheridan et all are to make money off with some documentary or some book, and apparently "new discoveries" which are in reality old theories we've read here over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Bailey is a street angel / house devil type of character. Of course he would never beat up on a woman in a public place. It always occurred behind closed doors. Jules was his long term and only romantic partner from when he first arrived in Ireland. His attacks on her demonstrate his propensity to seriously injure and possibly kill any woman who incurred his ire, whether under the influence of alcohol or stone cold sober. A "man like Bailey" would also do exactly what you suggest would be atypical behaviour for him i.e. hiking up to Sophie's in the small hours looking for something. I think his motivation for doing something like that would not simply in order to get sex. I think he wanted a romantic relationship with her and was delusional, believing she wanted to have the same with him.

The ongoing Garda review of Sophie's case has been very low key indeed with no new information whatsoever leaked into the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If only those vital pages hadn't been cut out of the investigation's jobs book maybe we would know why the investigating Gardaí thought Ian Bailey could be the murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The thing is, I don't think anyone is explicitly saying any other person did this. There's potential suspects but that's it. The problem with the Bailey investigation is the Gardai fixated on Bailey from very early on and abandoned any other potential leads. So they just made it retrofitting the case around him, never considered the credibility of witnesses etc. They just took everything as fact. There's a reason that the case is completely humiliating for the gardai involved.

I posted these links earlier

It is quite clear that Ian Bailey didn't have inexplicable information about Sophie's murder, either in terms of what he knew or when. His reports on the murder often contained material inaccuracies, sometimes repeated eiher from other reports or a common source. The DPP article forensically examined when Ian Bailey knew information about the murder and found nothing that he knew anything earlier than could be innocently explained, yet it is still brought up as 'evidence'.

It is tenuous enough when a case is built upon assumptions about facts, but when it is built upon assumptions about falsehoods or fiction it becomes complete nonsense.

Post edited by FishOnABike on

Who are those people in the photo over DPP report link?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But why do people believe the Gardai "abandoned any other potential leads" ?

People assume that just because Bailey was the only suspect that the Gardai ditched every other possible suspect.

But maybe the reality is simpler.

The Gardai didn't abandon other potential leads, they investigated them but found nothing at all of substance.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They found nothing of substance with Bailey but still arrested him (and Jules).

Given that they arrested Bailey and Thomas despite having absolutely nothing on them, why didn't other potential suspects and their partners receive similar arrests?

When did Baily's story change about where he was that night.

If it was before the arrest then they obviously had something on him and Jules.

If it was after then it's good police work.

Detectives are professionals, they learn what's important what's not.

If they had their suspensions about Bailey and decided to arrest him before his story changed and his alibi went out the window then fair play to them, they were on the right track.

I could be wrong but wasn't it Jules that first said he didn't spend all night in bed.? So was it the second arrest when Jules was arrested too?

I am not at computer now so can't check books

Edit : It was Jules at her fifth interview under arrest according to "Killing Sophie "

Post edited by Honorable on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Bailey and Jules were the only ones arrested for the crime, but Leo and Sally Bolger were " agressivly interviewed" and had hair samples taken. I dont know if it was hair cutting or plucked hair. Heinz Wollney among others also had hair samples taken, his statement is on the Koude Kaas site.

Jules statements are also on the Kouda Kaas site, you can make your own mind up which versions are actually Jules, Saffie Thomas has claimed her mother would never use the words or phrases in the statements.

The missing pages either pointed away from Bailey or vindicated him, otherwise why cut them out at the the time when Bailey was identified as the main suspect. I believe they picked the wrong patsy, Bailey proved too tough a nut for them to crack, but they spent the next 25 years and God knows what resources trying to "place him at the murder scene".

The problem I also have with the theory that Bailey did it, is the mere thought that Bailey lived with Jules in the area all year round. If the motive wasn't rape, what kind of threat would Sophie have been too Bailey that he needed to kill her?

Bailey knew of Sophie, he may have met her, but apart from some possible fleeting encounter their lives never really crossed any paths.

Also from an experience point of view, how many crimes do exist where the initial motive was rape, but the killer ended up killing the victim, and never attempting rape. To me this would simply stand out if it happened that way.

And we do know with certainty that she wasn't raped or even been attempted to get raped.

So what motive would Bailey have had to hike for one hour at night to discuss with Sophie, if he didn't want sex with her? And if he wanted to discuss business with Sophie, Bailey would rather have come during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Bill Fuller apparently although I'm not really sure of what the relevance of the photo is...

• Advertisement

My theory is that Bailey went to Sophie to have sex with her, she rejected him (very early on) he flew into a rage and killed her.

Without being crude he saw her in the village earlier on the weekend, fancied his chances, and while drunk on Sunday night decided to try his luck.

He didn't go there to violently rape her, he expected her to concent easily because he was so charming, but she didn't and he killed her in a rage.

Bailey even described such a scenario himself.

It doesn't matter that there was no evidence of sexual assault, he was not interested in having sex with an injured or dead woman.

It doesn't matter that he had a partner at home, Sophie was " fresh meat", apologies for being crude.

And it doesn't matter that he trekked so far to her house, he had been drinking whiskey and it's well established that he was prone to acting strangely after drinking whiskey, not to mention that walking the roads in the dead of night were already his thing.

I think all of that stacks up better than some randy Garda, a French hitman who uses a concrete block, or a frail neighbour (Alfie Lyons).

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Advertisement