Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

finally , alan foudy finally uploads the higlights of the sixmilebridge sessions from the weekend , foudy himself was last seen in the early hours of the morning drowing his sorrows in the good house last night to be thinking of us 🤣

in truth the clon v millls game was excellent but sounds like and almost played out like a big joe joyce title fight in a car park in Ballinasloe on horse fair week , given fingers was on the sidline for the mills and jim hickey played the part as fair play man as best he could , its no wonder world war 3 nearly broke out , john conlon some man , rocky deserved better for the mills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Mother of Christ the quality of those games commentary and camera work is horrible, Is it the same crew as last year or what, I saw Alan and Mike in Wolfe tones, but did they sack the others involved or what

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Figerty

Those years were very very competitive with teams coming out of Senior B. However Senior B should have been seeded so they couldn't meet til the final. The current version of Senior B is a waste of energy and if anything, brings down standards. No incentive for a 9th-place medal. Similarly the Clare cup has lost its value.

I don't believe reducing the number of teams is going to change anything other the reinforce the dominance of a few clubs. Those clubs will go hunting for hurlers to prop up their positions. The bridge and others will dominate because of numbers and organization while others will struggle. Players like Shane Meehan will be coaxed out of their clubs to the 'senior clubs' and the base will be reduced.

Improving the average standards is what really needs to happen. go back to the Eighties when a delegation went to Offaly to see what was being done there. We reaped the benefits later because a few took on the challenge. I think we are currently doing the right thing at the moment. The right thing today doesn't mean its the right thing tomorrow. I think reducing the number of clubs is close to the stupidity of limiting the length of hurleys! it's a reaction to a problem but not addressing the issue.

I watched the Clarecastle v broadford game Saturday evening the sound quality was definitely much better then that,

Don't know who edits them, think Alan done camera work in the two games in the bridge

• Advertisement

I would be of the view of cutting it down to atlesst 14 teams, the current championship is too top heavy,

There are a number of teams playing senior this year that are just not that good,

Alan is a much better cameraman than what we saw there... Maybe he's been a little out of practice but jesus those games made for hard watching, unless he was single crewed, doing the camera and scoreboard himself, which wouldn't make sense since they had 3 crews covering games last year

Oh, Clare Gaa twitter just posted highlights of all the streamed games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Diabolical coverage. The standard looks poor enough. Guys with acres of time on the ball . John Conlon looked fast for God's sake and in reality my granny would pass him out

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Standard was poor no doubt about it, not a fan of the current championship set up , teams expected to be in the mix won't hit top gear until the knockout stage,

Probably just not done I'd assume, or waiting on someone to sign off on them, or who knows maybe there wasn't a plan to do them and it was a last minute decision

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭dohboy

Jimmy Cooney dead. RIP. Gone too soon, just like Clare's All-Ireland dream in '98.

All the highlights if you have 45 minutes

There was a great documentary on the radio a few years ago, He explained his situation on the day. Very honest and humble. He gained a lot of respect for doing it. An honest mistake on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭dohboy

Ah yeh, no badness meant at all. Offaly fans were the ones who behaved like yahoos.

Gaa had plenty of time that evening to get the last 5 minutes played, there were only 34,000 in attendance, and a handy enough crowd on the field there were no reason they couldn't have cleared the pitch and restart the game

Instead they sent out the Kildare and Kerry u21s that were playing in the game afterwards into the crowd of Offaly supporters on the pitch

Cooney was the scapegoat, he made a mistake and the gas pounced

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

Race for Jack Daly begins this weekend can't see anything other than Eire Og doing 3 in a row. They have an embarrassment of riches already and have a few additions from last year, with Dean Ryan back and a new man from up the country. They have by far the strongest squad in the county. The other contenders are Ennistymon who have a lot of talent and massive numbers, hopefully they take off the handbrake tactically this year because even though they reached the final last year every game they were involved in was an eyesore. If Corofin can keep the progress going from last year they will be tough opposition for anyone, again they have big playing numbers with help from Ruan and Tubber and into North Clare. St Breckans, Kilmurry Ibrickane and Clondegad could also be in the shake up and the rest will be making up the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

Agree with you get it down to 16 teams first and see how that goes. The biggest problem in Clare competition wise is the intermediate hurling. Since they relegated 5 teams from Senior a while back it's a completely distorted championship and needs to be addressed this year.

was at the miltown v doonbeg game tonight , good game played at a high pace , both teams lack ideas on the ball ( a big clare trait at times ) but some excellent scores kicked in harsh conditions against blanket defenses , darragh burns paul dillion and tubs kicked some excellent scores for the magpies , but gordon back in the miltown jersey was top class himself and sweeper brian curtin , along with seanie malone made life almost impossible at times for doonbeg

up front they are limited conor in midfield was excellent but other then cormac murry and cian o'mahoney they are light without eoin cleary , they will need him against the better sides

i watched back the kib v breckans game back , again pace of game , excellent , really good scores , good definsive structures , but again poor decision making at times its hard not to see these two at 1/4 or semi final stage later in the year , but unlike the hurling last two weeks , a more balanced championship , teams are coming out fighting from week one , one defeat and its likely you could be in the mix for a relegation playoff , my point in recant weeks of cutting the hurling down to 14

even though we are down in division 3 next year in football by tonights standards we are still playing division 2 football , we need our clubs and coachs to develop players to think better on the ball its our biggest flaw at the moment both club and county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭fire_man

Clondegad in the hunt for Jack Daly.Not a great call after today's performance.

cillian brennan out for the season i think and the troubles over the road in dromquin , they are conjoint at the hip with ballyea ,surly it has an impact ,

i have them down as relegation candates since the start of the year , reckon doonbeg will beat them ,fine margins though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭fire_man

Ya I can see Doonbeg staying up especially with Tubridy kicking frees alone.Clondegad few years past their best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great win by the Junior Camoige team today in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is the standard of that competition not atrocious?

The facilities that the Clare/Tipp teams have compared to Cavan/Tyrone/Roscommon/Mayo is a joke.

Some of the scorelines in the groups/KO stages were stupid.

Still should be a case that all County ‘2nd’ teams should be in their own competition.

Nobody would ever call the Premier Junior our for what it really is though and you can only beat who’s in front of you so I wouldn’t take anything away from the girls themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gaa goes

Speculation is that Kieren Donaghy has put his name forward for the vacant Clare senior football manager's job. John Ryan the former Limerick ladies football manager has also nominated himself to be Colm Collins' successor.

I'm hearing mixed reports re Clare U20 football manager Mikey Neylon's intentions. One source has suggested to me that he is interested in the role and is the leading front runner for the Clare senior football manager's role. While another thinks that he has been approached but has turned it down. Neylon I believe is part of the Banner GAA club intermediates management team who defeated Kilfenora last night in their championship opener.

I also expect outgoing Clare minor football manager Dermot Coughlan to put his name forward. By Tuesday evening nominations for the job will close. Until then we are in the dark, but certainly I would expect more media coverage on this in the coming days. The hope is that we will have a new manager in place and ratified come August's Clare county board meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Gael85

Would hope Neylon takes the role. Who did he have in his backroom with u20s? Heard Neylon turned down approach to manage a Division 4 last year though didn't hear which county. If involved with The Banner he might persuade Shane Meehan to switch to footballers.

Outside managers for Clare have been a disaster since John Maughan and John O'Keefe.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Treble double

Agree, I think we saw with Collins your best bet is someone from inside the county that knows the players inside out at all ages and grades.

frank doherty was an excellent coach he was in charge in the late 2000s when calre football was on its knees , i remember him giving an interview being ultra critical of the county board at the time ant their attitude towards football , its the one thing colm has changed , he demanded that the board do more for the code , davey fitz admitted that he challenged collins and failed to get the vast amount of resources for the hurlers

we have a good county board at the moment , Kieran keating is as about as fair a man as you could meet , you can guarentee he will give as much time to the footballers as the hurlers

• Advertisement

i heard after collins stepped down that neylon was offered the roll as the county board saw him next in line and he declined , he stated he was happy enough working with the under age , as far as i know this is why the job has been open nationwide

if Donaghy wants it i would welcome his appointment with open arms ,he has made a huge difference up in armagh with geezer , also he played the pantomime villain a few times in the park in 2019 and 2017 in particular , where he destroyed our midfield and took on the shed end in the process you could see he enjoyed the madness that goes with clare gaa supporters

Advertisement