Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin urgently needs to enforce a green belt

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Its a good point and yet any planning application for new housing in ireland takes forever.

How does it go all the way through that process and still not have a viable infrastruture commitment at the end of the planning approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

This is shortsighted nimbyism. Let's stop building houses where people want to live and even better let's do in the middle of a housing crisis. Who cares about people being homeless, driving long commutes, stuck renting for life(with rental regulations that are not fit for purpose for tenants or landlords), who care about the societal impacts of all these issues. All that's grand as long as NIMBYs are able to keep looking at green fields and not have to accept that their surroundings will be different in the future.

The fact is Dublin is growing its where people want to live and where jobs are. A modern service based economy requires people. Companies will base themselves beside/in big population centres. People want jobs and want to live where jobs are. It's a snowball effect and you see it the world over. Practically every country in the world has urbanised. The only people who benefit from this idea are existing home owners in Dublin who will see the value of their houses grow.

There is a massive generational divide in housing already. All this crazy idea would do is make the situation even worse. It would just make Dublin a gated city in effect.

Exactly.

The poster seems to have an aversion to any new builds going up in North County Dublin, even though its the most lightly populated part of the whole county. There are LOADS of green fields in NCD.

Its prime land so close to the city centre and should absolutley be developed for housing, but with the appropriate infrastructure included, to support housing development.

Dublin is a fast growing city and that whole area is the obvious place to develop.

I am guessing the poster that wants all building to stop lives there though.

Classic Nimby attitude. Build everywhere im the city except in front of my eye line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

We did this before with massive estates on the fringes of Dublin, then starved them of facilities and resources and infrastructure. Then we repeated it with ghost estates, and estates on flood plains.

People seem to determined to repeat the mistakes of the past and not learn from them.

Some people won't be told fire is hot. They have to burn themselves to learn the lesson. Same with cries of NIMBYism and I want, I want I want. It's your money who cares how you waste it. You'll be back in few years complaining no one told you.

It's location, location, location. Not pin the Donkey on the map while blind folded with your fingers in your ears. Same thing from those who buried themselves in negative equity.

Housing with infrastructure is what is being propsed though. Not housing in isolation.

• Advertisement

A lot of this thread is complaining about being on a (or the end of a) train line. They want a green field site away from existing train lines with no infrastructure (it's a green field-green belt) so they have no choice except to drive.

We can see sudden spikes in population like this overwhelm local services. No doctors, no school places, roads unable to cope, drainage and water supplies unable to cope.

Anyway it's a horse that's already bolted. There's so much development going on in 5yrs the sprawl will have jumped another 5k+ outwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭dublincc2

Reclaim land from Dublin bay. The East Point business park was a wasted opportunity as a site for offices, should’ve been high density housing built there instead. Still room to demolish all those buildings, reclaim more land out as far as Bull Island and get to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

I remember seeing a new housing development beside the office block I worked in a few years ago near Frankfurt. The school and shops were built first, then the housing blocks. Why cant that be done here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭dublincc2

This is what should be done. Reclaim the land up to Clontarf as was originally proposed. East Wall was only half built:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

suburban sprawl adds up to €137k to the cost of a new home. 😮 Superb analysis done by the Housing Commission

Advertisement