Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV battery options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭championc

Do ESBN ever check what's on the form Vs what is installed 🤔

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Hi Mr Q

Do you have a link or a code for these. I didn't spot on their website.

Tks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Plug and play convenience. I think it amounts to this versus a few euro per KWh.

I built a DIY 10kwh CALB. I am not a DIY person, I enjoyed rolling up my sleeves, taking my time, chatting with people on this forum and following a few YouTube channels.

It however does take time.

Not the building but getting the ordering the right tools, researching battery, even researching what plastic box it's going to fit in and lid close. I would build another one in less the half the time, a few hours, now.

If you are building your DIY skills it is a no brainer, however I'm in a busy professional role where I won't have much opportunity to mess around again- even the occasional settings adjustment becomes annoying.

People also need to ask why they want a battery. There is no financial logic to pay average or above average prices when FIT is 22-24 cents. In 5 years that FIT will be 5cent and then its game on. So you need a great deal from installer or DIY. For most, as long as Feed in tarrif (FIT) remains high the best option is a mindset shift- view the grid as your battery, don't think of it as paying full price for the grid when you pull a KW in the late evening.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i have followed your DIY experience on the many threads - and if im honest - i have a similar SOlis Inverter - i expect that I would run into a lot of the same issues you have - if i tried to build DIY. it puts me off totally trying to build a battery. Ill probably be hammered for this but its true. In 2 years ive not had to look at my system - its simply ticks over every day saving me money.

I got lucky - bought a battery at a reasonable price 2 years ago with my system - and i have paid less then a few 100 euros in 2 years in total for all my electric bills. Part of that is ofc becuase of the gov grants - but the way I look at it - trying to engineer a battery to "get to zero" costs is a giant waste of my time and money. MY system is already 2 years in and it wont be too many more years before my investment is cleared. (i took out a loan from a credit union to make the original investment which is coming to an end very soon anyway!)

A freind recently got a quote for a sysem with a 5 KWh battery from an installer and the price was much closer (still higher) to my total system cost so maybe things are starting to get back to normal soon.

TLDR; dont over engineer people! do your OWN maths!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭con747

I'm of the same opinion, I got one battery when the grant still discounted it and later added another sourced cheaper than retail and have not had to bother with any of the headaches some have had with DIY ones. The usual you got ripped off will be on probably but as you said it just does what it is designed to do with no needing TLC. Do I care if I paid twice as much? Not if I can just forget about it and have a full warranty if it does have a fault unlike the DIY options.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@poker--addict - "People also need to ask why they want a battery. There is no financial logic to pay average or above average prices when FIT is 22-24 cents."

That's a good point, the exact reason I advise most people who ask me, not to bother with a battery

Crucial point of order here though. Do not buy a premade battery, they are terrible value for money and with a generous FIT, they will never pay for themselves. Unless you do it for green reasons / to stabilise the grid, etc. But don't do it for your pocket. On the other hand, building your own battery from quality cells costs less than half, particularly if you are a big electricity user and / or there is a big difference between day and night rate. Personally I am hoping for variable rates coming soon, then I will actually make substantial money from my big PV and battery setup, but there's also quite a bit of work in it, as @yankinlk alludes to. Unless you automate the lot, but there is even more work in that 😂

From what I can tell, overall,, those with the biggest "problems" appear to be with Solis Inverters, when connecting them to specific BMS's, or maybe with specific Firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I received an email directly with the prices from libby@docanpower.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi,

Has anyone with a Huawei SUN2000 inverter installed a battery system also?

Just wondering what batteries are available to pair with this inverter. I have seen the Huawei Luna battery system - it looks like this might be the only battery compatible with this inverter, but not sully sure about that - anyone familiar with these systems at all?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

It’s either the huawei Luna battery as you have mentioned. Or an LG Chem battery; it’s mentioned in the documentation; but I’ve never seen this implemented; and according to the documentation the performance of the inverter is reduced slightly when paired with the LG battery. Not sure they can even be got anymore.

I have the 6kwh sun 2000 paired with 10kWh of Luna. Happy to answer any other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

Ah ok thanks - was mostly just curious about the options available to me. I have a 4.3kwp solar PV array - which is generating well, but I am still using up to 5kwh or so imported from grid each day.

I figure if I was to add a 5 kwh battery to the setup, I could eliminate this import saving ~40c/kwh (Pinergy 46.62c day / 6.92c night). It looks like I can buy the battery for about 3k to 3.5k then, happy to install it myself so no further costs.

Would probably go through 5 charge/discharge cycles a week charging it on night rate (saving €520/year or so). Looks like it would pay off after 6 to 7 years, but not sure if that's feasible. And the 40c difference between night and day probably wont remain as large over the next 7 years, but who knows

How are you finding your battery setup? What is the max charge/discharge rate in kw? Do you know what sort of life expectancy they tend to have - i.e. would it still operate at full capacity after those 6 or 7 years?

Thanks

My main limitation is the rate at which the battery can charge; this is capped by huawei to 3kwh when charging from the grid; even though the unit is capable of charging at 5kWh from solar.

So because I’m on the night boost where I get cheep rate between 2-4 am; at 3kwh charge rate the most I can get into the battery is 5kWh 1kwh of lost energy in the conversions from AC to DC.

The good thing; and one of the points that made me go for Huawei is the sustained 5kWh discharge rate from the battery.

According to the documentation it has a 10 year warranty or 13.17mWh limit which in real terms would mean 2634 full 0-100 % charge cycles; which would be 7.2 years if you did a full cycle 7 days a week. 10.1 years if you only did a full cycle 5 days a week.

This is my battery SOC from this week; it’s 10kWh:

Did you get on to Huawei about that? The single most important performance measure of a hybrid inverter is at what current it can charge / discharge a battery. Your one is underperforming by 40%, just like the Solis ones do. I would demand a fix / refund or replacement.

This performance measure is getting far more important again as we are moving to smart meters and we get very short slots like 3 hours to charge up our batteries - makes a huge difference compared to the 9 hours of night rate many of are / were on before...

No. It’s performing as per the data sheet; it’s mentioned that grid charging is limited to 3kwh.

There are some other versions of the inverter they when combined with the battery do allow the full charge rate from grid also; but not the one I got unfortunately.

I would like to know what the reason is; it could be possible to hack the settings and increase it; as it seems to be a software limitation rather than a hardware one.

The inverter can comfortably pump out 6kwh for hours on end with out derating itself when we get a sunny day.

Yes can't get my solid charging over 2.2kw/hour

😎

Yes haven't tried grid.

i am using lead acid settings and as far as I can see I have same settings as above

😎

Thoughts on this value ?

😎

Obviously much better value than one of the pre made 5kWh batteries for €2000. But still not a patch on self building one. That one with the kit in particular is very easy to do. Why do you think someone can offer that for €3000 landed and ready built to your door? They make a decent profit on that, after also charging for their labour.

That said, if you really don't want to build a battery and 14kWh is all you are going to use (no plan for future upgrades), then it's not a bad option. The cells inside are far superior than any other pre made battery, they are chunky 280Ah EVE type cells and just 16 of them in total, they will swell a bit but longevity is not a problem. And not like the crappy 25Ah pouch cells that the likes of Pylontech uses...

• Advertisement

I've day/night deemed export so battery is fantastic right now. Being lazy and without trawling posts with boards horrid search... You got links to those tutorials?

This party is going to end very soon; you’ll be getting a day night configured smart meter soon and will start getting measured FIT payments.

Id plan towards this reality rather than a deemed export one.

I'd go one step further and can't wait to get a smart meter. And hopefully a serious delta between night rate and FIT so I can load up at night and dump into the grid during the day

It's better for everyone if I did this rather than my current sending excess to run crypto mining rigs, when I don't need the heat they gave out (like in summer)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭curioustony

@unkel even for a modest system with a small battery, this approach makes sense

For July/August, not covering the standing charges

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mariadumitruiulian

NEW Dyness A48100 solar battery.

Power: 4.8 KW

10 years manufacturer warranty.

All accessories / wires to connect the battery to inverter included.

Brand new sealed.

6 available.

Specs in the last picture.

1700€.

Limerick.

Is that good value these days?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HMacN

Hi folks - I’ve recently gone with a 20 panel 8.4kw system with Huawei Hybrid 6kw inverter EDDI / HARVI / ZAPPI but no battery as we have two EV’s in the house generally one always plugged in.

I think I’d like to get a battery to soak up excess (6kw inverter loses 2.4kw DC - correct??) and to get through the winter (charge with night rate) - I know ROI might be tight due FIT but if low enough I’ll do it.

I’m not going to go DIY but would love to know am I pigeonholed with certain batteries with my Huawei or can I get anything that comes to market at a good price?

Dyness for example??

Love to hear your thoughts…

You need the specific Huawei BMS module (about €1k) and then the specific Huawei 5kWh battery (the BMS can take 3 x 5kWh battery modules)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭con747

Stuck with Huawei and possibly LG not sure if any others suit it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mariadumitruiulian

Advertisement