Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Couple of Eoins best days back to back. Didn't let Ken get into the negative too early yesterday either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I'm with Ken on the whole asterix business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

His "live rubber" comment had me chuckling a good bit yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

>People are free to spend their money on what they like without being judged

Not a chance, I'll judge plenty of people on how they spend their money. And it doesn't stop at football. Literally everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I don’t judge people on how they earn (presuming it’s legal) or spend their money. It’s not my business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The chat about the Basque football team and identity was classic SC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Wish they had more pieces like the Basque chat, unfortunately it will soon be back to wall to wall Premier League chat and there will be less time for pieces like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

They do love the comforting warmth of martyrdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

We just like supporting our own national League and getting up off the armchair. It's gas that if it was the GAA nobody would ever dream of supporting another county over their own but with football the excuses come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

GAA have very strict eligibility rules.

Most LOI clubs are top heavy with Dublin players who have zero affinity with their clubs location.

There's no comparison with the GAA and irish soccer.

Underage irish soccer destroys any hope of that loyalty. Competitive leagues mean teams have a natural selection and push away young people along the way. Chat to young people who play soccer and all they'll chat about is transfers to other clubs. They're rarely loyal to a club. They jump leagues and teams most years.

This isn't the fault of the children, parents or clubs. It's the FAI systems. Everyone is hanging on for the big transfer to the pros.

Theres a few underage clubs that have links to LOI but they come and go.

Add to that LOI clubs also hoping for the lotto wins of transfers and european soccer or rich owners which means they've rolled the dice and gone bust too.

Irish soccer has nothing to do with identity until it reaches national level. A few of the LOI clubs have made a better effort at it in the last few year now that Rovers have finally found a home and the likes of Bohs and Pats are looking at their communities more but much much more needs to be done.

The GAA is all about identity and won't ever change. That is the foundation stone of it's success. It's a cartel, they collectively fund to keep each other going and maintain the ecosystem. Soccer just doesn't have that mentality.

I'm too much of a bad loser to be able to listen to today's GAA podcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Don't worry, I'll listen to it to it twice to make up for it. :D

Post edited by Ol' Donie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

From listening to the pod yesterday it sounds like Vera is gone and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I guess the issues with her weren't just down to female coaches being treated differently to male coaches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

For the reasons outlined on second captains.

All the distractions before the world cup (Vera had the athletic look into the allegations prior to the world cup).

Replacing players that got Ireland to the world cup by a few American born players. In particular Sheva who was absolutely awful.

Reluctance to change tactics during the games.

Her negativity prior to the games and not really giving us any hope of competing against these teams.

Not one single player coming out and saying that they want her to stay on. That's the biggest thing for me.

Throwing McCabe under the bus too. Regardless of whether McCabe was rightly or wrongly calling for a sub, you shouldn't be airing that in public.

Plus, why didn't she actually put fresh legs on? They were badly needed.

The team seemed to be less fit than the other teams. So maybe she isn't at the forefront of physical training unlike what she thinks.

I do like Vera though and she has done unreal to get Ireland this far. I hope that if they don't renew the contract that things stay amicable. Just seems like there are a lot of distractions.

What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Threw her captain under the bus and then reversed over her.

Vera disclosed far more information than she needed to about her exchange with Katie saying Farrelly should have been subbed off.

FWIW I think Katie was wrong too but I assume players would shout towards the bench the whole time but the manager should have brushed the question off in the interview as 99% of managers would do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Thanks for those reasons. I've no opinion on the matter myself, due to lack of knowledge. I basically only know what the 2nd Captains have told me and I've only being half listening to be honest.

I see that she might have lost the dressing room because of those new players. I don't think the other reasons are that bad though, to be honest. Were we expected to do any better (genuine question)?

Maybe she's twigged that she mightn't get her contract renewed and as the dressing room hasn't backed her, why should she back the person who might be the ring leader of dissent. I think that what McCabe did by continually arguing with the manager asking for another player to be taken off was very wrong. If I was the manager and didn't give a **** anymore, then I too would give her both barrels. If McCabe is butthurt by it, then she should look at herself in the mirror.

I think before the tournament we probably weren't expected to do much better. But none of the teams looked far superior to us and Vera didn't change it up. It really felt like there were points there to get against all the teams. Sheva gave away the penalty but Vea played her out of position. Sheva is like 5ft 2, she shouldn't really be near the defence.

It was very much like the Trap era.

I don't know if what McCabe did was wrong tbh. It was pretty clear we needed fresh legs and Vera didn't look like she was making any changes. McCabe is entitled to complain in the heat of the moment. I think you can forgive a frustrated footballer for that. I think Katie is great, she is our best player and I never see her losing the head with other players who are of lesser quality.

Vera is very calculated in what she does and says. She easily could have not stoked the fire. Katie will be the face of the team for the next few years so it was miscalculation by Vera to throw her under.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

A bit mad that Ken thought McCabe was telling Pauw to shut up with that emoji, would have thought it obviously meant 'I'm saying nothing'

I thought he was trying to troll Eoin and Murph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

I think he just got the wrong end of the stick on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"Another win for Vietnam"

I'll give Murph credit, that one made me laugh.

I have a swiss army knife keyring and use it constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I once gifted a man a blue Swiss Army knife, he almost instantly chopped off a substantial chunk of one of his fingers.

I cannot wait for the premier league to return. The woman’s World Cup is not doing it for me.

I wonder if Frank will make an appearance this season, third time lucky as Chelsea manager ?

Finding it hard to get excited. City will probably piss it again, all the **** going on with Saudi Arabia too, find it hard to care anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Same here. The Premier League is increasingly soulless. It seems that Ken feels similarly going on his lack of enthusiasm for the start of the season. Maybe it’s partly put on but I do wonder if he’s a bit disillusioned with the whole thing

That was my first hearing of Paul Flynn's tweet. I'd have no issue if Clifford didn't win player of the year, I'm not entirely sure of he deserves it really but Paul Flynn sounded like a bl a knob saying he was 'smoked'. Seems needlessly aggressive for someone who is meant to be a pundit/analyst

He had a poor game but that was more down to his decision making than Dublin nullifying him

Murph made excellent if not slight depressing points on how Clifford could have had such a bigger impact

Flynn is very good when talking about systems and that, he wears the blue tinted glasses at times, same when he was coming out with that media bias against Dublin nonsense a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Thought there was a bit of tension between Ken and Eoin today. Eoin has a bugbear against discussions that involve betting generally. Maybe I am reading too much into it! Just seemed a little bit of snapping back and forth today.

Where abouts in the podcast was that? I must not have been paying attention

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Think Ken was discussing that the odds on Germany had them as second or third favourites. And some other example of countries that qualified like Morocco and Jamaica with high odds. Maybe Eoin just thought the bit was boring but I know betting has been a thing previously. Maybe I picked up on something that isn't there at all!

• Advertisement

No I think your right, Ken is the only one to ever bring betting odds into conversation and I've always picked up that Eoin in particular seems annoyed by it.

As Ken said it's basically analysing data he even had a dig at Eoin at the end of yesterday's show about having no problem listening to lists of medal winners but gets excercised the second betting odds are brought up. I get the moral issues of gambling etc but surely speaking about the data is fair game.

I agree with Ken FWIW

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭C4000

If I'm ever watching a sport or event that I wouldn't really be familiar with, I'd always look up the betting odds as they give context to what you are watching......in terms of what the fans/experts expectations are.

Very hard to argue with any of that but having games on adds a bit of structure to the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Ken might be shocked to learn that it was in fact an Irishman who first split the atom, he even won the Nobel Prize for it.

Hahn won his for the discovery of nuclear fission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Maybe I'm just naive, but I don't think I've even once noticed any real friction between the hosts as gets floated on here every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I never noticed it as friction either. Just slagging and having the craic between mates

I don't think it's friction as such but I think it's clear Eoin has no time for gambling being mentioned on the show even if it's in relation to odds (which I do find interesting).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Given the time the tweet was sent ( about midnight on Monday) i suspect it was a drunken tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 john_galt

Second Captains is basically a sports conversation over a pint, light entertainment. There may be some appreciation the guys will be out of their depth (whether they realise it or not) if the conversation gets into an area where they cant determine if they are making an objective or subjective take

• Advertisement

The Second Captains Saturday episode with Theo Dorgan is superb, I'd listen to him talk all day.

Conan O'Brien on next week, that'll be good

Advertisement