Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Another point to help ease your depressing thoughts Kermit is we shouldn't have to wait too much longer for the Abrams. Last I read was that it looked like it would be September when they'd be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

Russian 152 mm artillery down 75%

The Royal United Services Institute noted that a lack of 152 mm ammunition and replacement barrels was driving a shift from a primary reliance on 152 mm howitzers to increasing use of mortars to replace shortfalls in firepower. This mirrors reports from the frontlines, such as from Ukrainian officer Tatarigami_UA, who noted an overall shift in Russian tactics in February, when Russian units began operating with a greater emphasis on mortars. This also follows reports that 152 mm artillery usage had dropped by 75% or more.

Furthermore, Oryx verified losses of Russian artillery had been predominantly 152 mm artillery at the start of the war. The 152mm self-propelled artillery was the most commonly used artillery unit until May and Jun , when 152 mm artillery losses were surpassed by 122 mm howitzers and 120 mm mortar losses. This likely represents a significant drop-off in the number of 152 mm artillery being deployed, also suggesting Russia’s increasing reliance on mortars is real.

Of 152 mm artillery units still being deployed, an increased reliance on older towed artillery units, rather than better-protected and more mobile self-propelled artillery, has been observed.

Ukraine Update: Ukraine's war of attrition can break Russia—and it won't take years (dailykos.com)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I suppose its even more depressing that, despite no major news or victories for Ukraine the Western support continues unabated and shows no signs of slowing down. It must be awful for peace desiring folks that their big hope for peace, being that the West will give up support for Ukraine if Ukraine doesnt produce victories, causing Ukraine to surrender, is now more remote than ever.

I guess we will just have to watch on helpless as the Russians continue to make parriahs of themselves and destroy their youth and economy on a senseless war.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

• Registered Users Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I am able to look at the situation objectively and accept the reality that, if the definition of "winning" is driving the Russians out to pre 2014 borders, then Ukraine cannot win this war.

Accepting that reality then I move on to think what's the best outcome achievable for Ukraine.

Right now what's happening is not a counter offensive - it's an attritional war situation. With the best will in the world Ukraine simply does not have the armed forces either in equipment or numbers to out-attrition the Russians.

The best outcome I can see for Ukraine is partition of 4 of it's provinces.

It's not what I want. I'd love to see Russia kicked out to pre 2014 borders but that's not unfortunately how I think this will end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What is the basis of saying Ukraine cant outlast Russia? Is it just merely that Russia is a bigger country? Because as is often said, its not about the dog in the fight so much as the fight in the dog.

Ukrainian resolve is rock solid. The Ukrainian body politic will not countenance defeat or territorial concession. They have no choice but to keep fighting.

For Russia, this is not an existential war. Russia cannot throw everything it has at the war in Ukraine - they are still theoretically supposed to be ready for a war with NATO or China. They are also still theoretically not at war but instead trying to help out their neighbours who have a Nazi problem - real friendly like! As the weeks and months go by the cost will outweigh the benefits. If they do hold onto these provinces, they will have to pay to rebuild and pacify the populations.

Ukraine is hoping that the Russian will to fight will break long before their army is fully destroyed. But if not, they are willing to go down to the wire. Russia, quite simply, are not.

I too can look at it objectively, and I too dont see the Russian army being completely driven out any time soon. But I also dont see any other resolution as matters stand. The partition of Ukraine in exchange for peace is just wishful thinking rather than objective analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

I found it interesting from that documentary that ,even then the ongoing propaganda in East Germany was that the West was full of Nazis .

Is that where Putin got the idea as that is where he was based and he probably saw that it worked on the population he was then tasked with oppressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Most likely. Putin was a handler himself though for a neo Nazi leader in Germany.

Anywhere there's trouble to be made in Europe there's always Russia.

More the Nazis they tell everyone that's the opposite of what you are. You are, being Russian. Then there's the naive who join neo Nazis just because they are told they are the opposite of the Russian.

It's why Ukraine so want to be all everything western as it's a better version of being the anti Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looking objectively and reality have very little connection with what you have posted on this thread in my opinion. The military putin has deployed and continues to send to Ukraine is being chewed up and destroyed by Ukrainians determined to be free from the repression that his dictatorship enforces in the russian federation and the huge number of crimes and atrocities committed by his forces on the people of Ukraine. I feel there will be no partition in Ukraine as the love for russia that such an outcome would require simply does not exist in Ukraine.

For anyone on Tiktok. Ci James is absolutely killing it with the clips.

• Advertisement

Another consequence of the invasion by Putin is Poland now will have the strongest modern military force in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Had to disagree with this tbh. The counter offensive hasn't worked and lord knows where Ukraine goes from here.

It's very grim that's all I know 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Im not been bad he has his opinion and so do others. I don't see why he should be banned. I would like to think everyone here supports Ukraine and I like to hear about there successes here but there is not many here who report about Russia etc. so when they do report about them either their failures or sadly their success against Ukraine I read it as the conflict is happening with 2 sides and if we only have everything about the Ukrainian side then we're leaving out a huge part of what is happening and if no one is posting things about Ukraine set backs or Russian successes then we're leaving out a ton of what is happening here in this conflict. We don't like it but sadly we have all read history and watched documentaries and sadly the bad guys do have them in conflicts and if we say only hear from 1 side then when stuff happens on the front lines in Ukraine and say Russia might have troops build ups or attacks we won't hear of it then as most of the people will be banned from this thread who report them. I would like to think most here want to hear of a balanced reporting on this thread, call out the shite for sure but I hate this crap if someone posts something about a Russian attack it's like thread ban them or there a Russian stooge or crap like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Great post.

It's clear to all who the bad side is here. That doesn't mean we ignore them.

At some point there is going to be a negotiated settlement. Ukraine's allies say that.

It's going to raise questions for us in the west. How do we interact with Russia afterward? How do we come to terms with the first border redrawn by force in Europe since the second world war? What does our defence landscape look like after the war? How do we guarantee Ukraine's defence in the future...

There's a lot of questions to be faced up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I agree with your first sentence, but calling for a ban will likley get you a warning. Report them to a mod and let them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The pack mentality against Kermit is ridiculous,if they can't find anything wrong with the actual post, historical posts , often from other threads about unrelated matters are brought up , honestly it's schoolyard bullying, thankfully he is not the sensitive type.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Which of Ukraine's allies are saying there's going to be a negotiated settlement?

Are these allies going to recognise any land illegally taken by Russia as being Russian land?

Does that include Crimea?

People seem to think there's an easy solution to end the war (apart from Russia withdrawing), but how does the west deal and interact with a leader of a country wanted for war crimes? How does that work?

All those questions that get raised (preparations, return of kidnapped people, 90k+ war crimes) makes a negotiated settlement unworkable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

If you think talking through his ass is nothing wrong, then i have nothing to say. There are a couple of posters who post the news "from both sides" and as long as its not obvious trolling or propaganda, we have a proper discussion.

Kermits posts are useful in fantasy sports arena, but this is real life and not a place for silly fantasies. Like quoting Peskovs lies as a fact/truth. We all know by now, that Russian government bodies are lying.

If Ukrainians kick Russians out to pre feb 2022 borders theres nothing stopping then to get back to pre 2014 with more guns on their way, russian ammo keep going up in flames and 250k Russians dead tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

No-one has been targetted or persecuted for speaking the truth or sharing a genuine opinion.

It's the Kremlin waffle and muddying of the waters that draws peoples ire.

Since day 1 of this "3 day" war we've hearing utter garbage like "Ukraine must surrender/negotiate for the sake of its people".

Given how atrciously bad the war has gone for Russia they are now looking to wrap it up in different bows.

A glitter covered turd is still a turd. Russia is losing this war, that's just a simple fact. Ukraine will not give up or surrender, even if the west abandoned them tomorrow, and ultimately, Russia is locked in an entirely unwinnable war regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I have been following this thread for nearly two years now . It is a million miles ahead of RTÉ or any Irish news outlet in terms of depth of and timing of information about this war. And generally a good couple of hours ahead of the likes of YouTube , Facebook, etc. I often find stories appear on those platforms, that we may have discussed here 24 hours earlier, being presented as hot off the press. I have missed nothing following this thread since the war started. Other forums and threads on this site can be way behind the news media. But that’s one thing you can definitely not say about this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

The thing that the sympathisers forget is that there is now a generation of Ukrainians who will despise Russia and everything associated with it. There will be bombings, attacks and deaths for years to come even if a 'peace deal' was signed in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

The thing I don't understand about the calls for peace is this:

Neither side want peace.

And

Who would stop Russia from breaking any treaty? All they've to do is wave a nuclear bomb again and Ukraine would be left to the wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Considering during "peace time" Ukraine may improve it's military at a better and faster rate then Russia now that they receive western weapons, Russia might decide it's now or never to defeat Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭rogber

Actually I would say almost all Ukrainians want peace, the question is just under what conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And conditions for a lasting peace, where they can live in security. Not a mere truce until the next round.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course Ukraine wants peace, to say otherwise is nonsense. And Russia has already waved its nuclear weapons around, with nobody to the West of it flinching. But what you also say is true: Russia has repeatedly shown a disinterest in upholding the treaties it signed. Ukraine gave up its own nuclear deterrent, percentages of its land, and generally bowed to Moscow pressure - and still they were invaded. Ukraine wants peace, it wants its neighbour to PFO and leave it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭rogber

Indeed. And how any of that is possible as long as Putin is in power I just don't see. Well, NATO membership would be one answer, but that's clearly not on the cards either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

Kermit’s assumption is that the Russian population’s attitude will remain the same - keep their heads down, say nothing, say that they support the war if asked in public and do nothing to indicate otherwise, etc, etc, etc, etc.

The same with the oligarchs and other power sources eg KGB - they will continue on supporting Putin/the war effort.

I do not think that either of the above options will continue on being 100% compliant

BUT , firstly, there is always a first time for everything. There are a good number of presidents internationally when a popular uprising or a single action- an assassination- which very significantly changed/ brought down a government/dictator. Are we saying that this is never a possibility in Russia?

and , secondly, have we forgotten why Russia or was it the USSR ‘pulled ‘ out of Afganistan? . Could the same not happen here?

only time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

If I came down from Mars yesterday and using my super brain power and was able to grasp all the agreements , utterances, promises made by Russian leaders over the last , say, 30 years and then have a look to see how all of that played out on the ground/in reality I think that I would have no problem in deciding how believable the information from the Ru side is

A leopard does not change it’s spots comes to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Imagine calling for a poster to be banned because you are incapable or unable to counter argue their opinion.

Now that's embarrassing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement