Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband switch deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭feargantae

Yeah it's €30 for up to 100Mb FTTC. €35 500Mb via SIRO/eir and €40 1Gb via SIRO/eir.

Digiweb is €40 for 1Gb too and they provide a Fritzbox which is a great piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shalom

I got 1gb from pure for €40. I switched from Sky which i had 1gb for €40 . Sky wouldn't renew for me and I asked pure for the same deal. I had pure the year before last and never had any issues with service etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭chonix

Bit offtopic: I'm planning to switch from VM to Eir due to this tempting new offer for fibre. Does anyone know if they can use the existing installation from VM so they don't have to drill a hole in the wall? I'm renting and that could be a dealbreaker for me :(

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭DopeTech

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

Any do a speed test on pure FTTC 100mb for 30e, this looks the cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I wouldn't risk this speed if you have multiple devices

It's upto 100 mbps. In reality you might get 20 mbps during peak hours.

Currently my Vodafone 500 mbps delivers 180 mbps during peak hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭chonix

Thanks, I feel very stupid now. Thought both were fibre via coaxial cable!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Has anyone got the Eir offer installed?

I'm confused the add says up to 500MB and in the small print says it's FTTC, I didn't think this technology was able to deliver those speeds in anything except ideal conditions.

Seems to me like false advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

Currently have 100mb from Vodafone and get up to 70mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Are these new fibre options available if you don't have their fibre line? I have virgin line and coax line for voda/eir which gives upto 50-70 Mbps..paying €20 to voda but planning to move to fibre and virgin is my only option at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭scottigael

Digiweb have 1 gigabit speeds for 40 euros. Is that the cheapest? Anyone have any trouble with them are their routers etc good? Sky I see have it for 45 can anyone one recommend a provider? Also can you change DNS with the router to change to adguard dns for example?

Post edited by scottigael on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

If there is both openeir and siro is either one better than the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Apparently fibre from both are equally good. The only reason I go with Siro is that it's not eir and Siro seems like a well oiled machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Siro has slightly better upload speeds, but they're the same thing. I wouldn't let it decide either or, and I like uploading.

I see sky have a new product sky stream (sky tv over internet), i was looking at them because my Vodafone contract is coming to an end, and noticed they finally dropped their installation fee even though i already had the siro equipment since i last looked.

I finally ordered Sky Broadband 500 mpbs "ultrafast" for €30 a month.

I got email saying Services will be active next Friday. But in reality I am still with Vodafone for another 3 weeks. On their website, it says I can change installation date but I don't see that anywhere. I hope they will not install earlier or else I will have to pay early breakage fee to Vodafone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

If your contract is ending in 3 weeks with VF, you will just have 2 services (with 2 bills) until that is up. No break fee. That's what is happening to me with virgin to vodafone. Unfortunately, virgin are dragging their heals with a phone number port across.

That's helpful. But I plan not to accept Sky until there is only 1 day of overlap. It even says on the Sky website that you can choose a time once you place the order, maybe this option will pop up in the next few days.

Thank you

Finally managed to get the broadband installed from Eir, however as per the deal it's fibre to the cabinet.

Seems like the 500 megabits per second was false advertising?

Then again almost every fixed line connection is better than crappy mobile internet.

Siro need to work on the handover process really dont they? (Open)eir do it well and have for decades.

How did you test? Wifi will be as slow as your wireless card. The upload speed looks high for fttc

Edit: im wrong, thats vdsl2 or better. As eir will say... "Well, we did say UP TO" :( thanks comreg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭jonnreeks

I am an Eir customer and have had my share of issues, the main reason I have stuck with them is they are the owners of all the infrastructure that the rest piggy-back on. You don't see Vodafone, Sky, Pure, Three, Virgin or Digiweb, etc. sending out crews or engineers to repair problems as they all have to depend on the Eir service providers...hope people are aware of this!

When I have had a problem with Eir, I have kept calling them until it gets sorted. Eir have always got by, because too many customers accept their excuses, once they know you will persist they will provide the necessary help.

I have the current efibre service and its excellent.

Just do not give up so easily! 😉

I did the test sitting right next to my modem using a fairly high-end phone.

Eir say on their website that fibre to the home is only capable of delivering a speed up to 100Mb.

so clearly this was falsely advertised, I know I am still entitled to cancel under the 14 day cooling off period but 100 is fine for me at the moment. Can I report the Ad to Comreg or the Advertising Standards Authority?

"Upto" is a catch-all for getting out of false advertising in this country unfortunately.

Same with "unlimited subject to fair usage". - unlimited in bold 10 times bigger font.

I'd complain anyway if you have the time, for hopes sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Eir won't change things. They got told they could not describe their data plans as unlimited as it had a FUP and then all they done was change the wording to "No limits data"

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Hmm. Not sure to be honest. On Sky website it says they will contact the current provider and inform of the changeover.

I am just worried if there will be a early break fee as I still have 12 months contract with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭R11

So my wife rang Eir today to try sign up to the One Big Switch deal. We're currently with Eir so rep asked who she was with.......as advised here,she said that account was in my name and I no longer lived there. Guy said it didn't matter,account is with the house not the person....so she couldn't sign up.

So now I'm looking at either Pure for €35 a month or Digiweb for €35 a month....anyone recommend which is better? (If better at all!)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭scottigael

Digiweb seem to have a 3tb monthly cap, is this still enforced? Says your contract may be terminated if go above it twice during 90 day period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭in2dark

I am with pure 3 months now and never had a single issue. I was with sky before and i had the odd time a disconnect for a couple of mins.

With both providers i have their device on modem mode as i have my own router

Good to hear. Pure have an only broadbill option for 30 a month. Gonna ring Digiweb tomorrow and see what their best price is.

• Advertisement

The process is actually you have to end your service, then the line will go dormant and she can sign up.

Ive had this a few times in my rentals, also it previous tenant moves out without paying the bill, means we have to wait 2 weeks for them to recognise it(or get previous tenant to contact them).

I was with pure two years ago, they're as good as anyone. They were also very quick to send me a cheque when I left still in credit.

Contract ended today 3rd August...but agent said she couldn't sign up.

I'm not that bothered anyway as I'll try out Pure or Digiweb for a year.

Sorry if I missed it in your previous post but was your wife using your surname or her surname before marriage? If it is the former then perhaps she could try again using her non married name.

Never even asked her name. Just asked who we were with,she said Eir...but that I no longer lived there and she wanted broadband in her name. He said she wouldn't be classified as a new customer as the account is attached to the house not the person. From a sales perspective,I find it very strange that they're willing to turn away subscriptions....surely it's better to hold onto business rather than let it go. Anyway,this differentiation between new& current customers should be illegal. Same with banks,energy providers etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm on siro with Digiweb. It's not enforced. I queried their FUP terms with them before joining in 2019 but they basically said it's there just in case someone takes the absolute **** running a home datacenter and is using massive amounts of data.

Currently on a reduced rate of €45 per month for gigabit until my contract is up January.

Surprised by how many people in this thread are with/signing up with Eircom. If I had no other Internet options I'd settle for communicating with people via carrier pigeon before giving those clowns another cent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Currently with Virgin Media, now have the option for 500MB fibre from either Eir or Sky. I assume the service is the same. Sky have €30 per month for 12 months or €35 per month for 24 months, is it normally possible to extend these offers or do you have to switch to someone else at the end of the term to get another "New customer" offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭user060916

I'd say it's because some people have never had issues with eir. I've never had any issues with eir, but massive issues with Vodafone before. People go based on their own experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

ring using a different name either a maiden name or irish spelling and if asked about current provider say you don't have one

or join online

moving a contact to the same company as a new customer is not as easy bu it can be done if it is less complicated by saying you are with them and moving out etc

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭doc22

If you were a eir landline customer would you be treated as new for broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Does Eir have a complaints/customer service email? I've had a look through their website, but can't see anything. Perhaps it's hidden away or am I stuck messaging their support on Twitter or Facebook?

I hate talking on the phone so much prefer written communication. 

Also, if I don't get anywhere with them. I presume Sky are the next best offer for speeds above 100 Mb per second. If I get nowhere with Eir and decide to cancel within the 14-day cooling off period? 

I thought perhaps I could live 100, or slightly less, but it turns out you need a really fast Internet connection to stream Blu-ray quality movies from the service. I like to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Customer service is handled by Joe in the afternoon on RTE radio one. Good afternoon to youuuu!

I ordered Sky 500mbps €30 per month for 12 months. Awaiting router and activation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

I'm switching between Voda and Eir every year(almost). Voda modem kept freezing or loosing VDSL connection on daily basis. I've put timer plug to disconnect it from power for 2-3 minutes every evening. When switched to Eir, never any issue. Modem uptime in months.

Contract up next month so called 1901 to loyality department ant told them I'm leaving as don't wanna pay 65+ euros. Was given 44euro option which was changed to 40 when I mentioned Voda was cheaper.

So without changing to new provider or changing person on contract I got IMHO good deal.

40€ a month is average going price. Its not the best deal out there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Works for me best. I don't need to fastest broadband there, just enough to let me work from home.

Virgin media socket is places that way that my neighbor will have better coverage than I could (tested couple years ago).

Other providers would use Eir lines anyhow. Five euros more or less doesn't make much difference on top or just ease to know that it will work without any interruptions as I don't want to travel to the office in a middle of the night :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Im looking at digi web 1000mbps siro broadband for €40 per month. I'm currently with Virgin 500mbps at the moment I can only presume digi will be a step up going with the extra speed. Has anybody any experience with digi never been with them before and don't know anybody who has....

Personally I feel 1000mbps is overkill for most people unless you are downloading massive files often I very much doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between 500 and 1000, plus few if any web servers will give download bandwidth that a 1Gbps connection will give you. Perhaps it would be beneficial if you lived in a large houseshare with lot's of people wanting to use the internet at the same time.

At least that's my experience from having it previously.

But at the end of the day it's your choice it's only an extra €10 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭mrtom

I've switched from Vodafone to Eir, (active from 15th August) Never had issues with Vodafone but Eir offers 500Mb & with big switch = €35 pm.

Also ordered their SIM @ €9.99 pm. Cell reception is poor where I live. Unimpressed using a dual sim with 48 & Vodafone, as Eir operate their own system I'm hoping for a stronger signal. This is on a 14 day free test which can be cancelled with a phone call I'm told.

Any similar experience out their?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

• Advertisement
Advertisement