Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC23 Warmups - Ireland v Italy, Sat 5th Aug, KO 8PM - TV: RTÉ2 and RTÉ Player, Amazon Prime Video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

We have been strong and had some very good performances over the past 12 months. that doesnt equal or mean winning the world cup is realistic considering we have performed very well before and not then done it at a world cup. winning the world cup isnt realistic, a semi final has to be a minimum of what we achieve but the draw we have is a stinker and if we dont then all depends on how we dont achieve that whether its a failure or not, New Zealand have lost just twice since we last played them. they were a complete mess and are a bit better than that though still with some major flaws we havent completely seen in NZ before...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

The poster was telling me to be more realistic. I was just commenting on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Did you actually look at the players in the ABs team?

Who have been better than us over the last 2 years? We gave New Zealand two good beatings, we gave France a good beating. We're better than South Africa, Australia and England by a big margin. Who else is there? Let's stop talking down our chances.

Australia are poor. They won't be contending this World Cup. And I don't think New Zealand have ever been as weak going into a World Cup. France are our only danger in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

Doesn't matter that we beat NZ 12 months ago. In a world cup quarter final, I'd be putting money on New Zealand to win by a couple of scores

We beat New Zealand in 2019 as well and they put 30 points on us in the world cup that same year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Nz first string beat Australia fairly handy. The team that struggled past Australia was no more first string than our team v Italy. I'd give France or NZ a slight edge on us by virtue of the fact we will have played close to our strongest 23 in 3 consecutive matches v Tonga, Scotland and SA by the time 1/4 final comes, NZ or France play each other opening day then will have luxury of selecting who they want and resting who they want for 3 games against us, with no disrespect to their opposition they won't be beaten by anyone else. But only just. Very hard to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

France, New Zealand, South Africa and France are all capable of beating Ireland in a knockout game in a neutral (home for France) venue.

Add in the random elements of Injuries, suspensions and HIAs that can strike at any time and you get a tournament that is wide open. Ireland certainly should be aiming to win it. But if we end up in a QF against NZ or France missing Doris, VDF, Porter and Sexton for example....

That was another choke. We just couldn't get it together at all. This time is different and beating New Zealand in New Zealand is the major factor. We know we're better than them. They certainly don't want to play us. We have their number. I see us beating them in the quarter final, then getting to the final and beating France then as they won't hack the pressure put on by us and the occasion.

We don't play full strength against Tonga. I trust Farrell on this. Then we have 2 weeks between South Africa and Scotland. It actually works out perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I didn't realise we had a week off. That's a bonus actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Shehal

Asks you who's been better than Ireland over 12 months

Your answer : goes back 4 years.

Ireland detractors can't detract without going back to 2019 or mentioning Leinster v La Rochelle and all this confirms is just how good this Irish side is that you cant point to any weakness in the current team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The biggest factor in our favor is that we have (had) the best defense in the world for the past 2 seasons. We have repeatedly managed to contain DuPont, along with stifling NZ. Edwards might have France improved from the 6Ns, where we absolutely hammered them, crossing the tryline 7 times. SA will be a big challenge to us, their defense is extremely suffocating. I hope Catt has been working on attacking shapes to beat the outside center blitz that has been used against us successfully by England and SA previously.

If SA or France had done what we've done the last 12 months we'd be saying they are the dominant force in world rugby...whats the difference when Ireland are number 1?

Ireland won the 6N in about as dominant a fashion as you can possibly win. I dont know what more Ireland could do going into a RWC and not be confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The worst thing that happened NZ is that joe smidth got involved, they were going nowhere under foster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭phog

After catching up on this thread I'm not sure should I put my house on Ireland winning the RWC or hope to jaysus that we can get out of our pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

NZ and SA may improve but neither are the finished article on the evidence of the championship so far. NZ have scored some nice tries but against some brutal defence from both Oz and SA. Ireland's b/c players didn't look great against the Italy but our frontline team has been performing consistently for 2 seasons to an exceptional level with a very miserly defence. The only outlier is the first test against NZ and a so so performance against England in the 6N. There is nothing new to acknowledging that teams have Ireland figured out, it's not rocket science, but that's very different to assuming teams have a way of countering Ireland's game if it's near flawless, which it's been most of the time. Ireland firing on all cylinders are a massive ask for any team and on current form France are the team I'd be most worried about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

all this confirms is just how good this Irish side is that you cant point to any weakness in the current team.

It’s difficult to see much weakness in the starting 15. (Lack of pace on the wings is one but play style mitigates that very well. Scrum time probably another, but it’s never manifested into a major issue).

But it’s very easy see weaknesses beyond that. Notably our depth at 10 and LH.

An injury in either position could easily swing a knocks out match.

I’m the most optimistic I’ve ever been going into a RWC, but margins can be fine, particularly with how the draw has fallen.

At a minimum, I just want to see a performance in a QF. We’ve barely fired a shot previously.

People say this but based on the last 12 months I do really see where this weakness was on show as Ireland had no issue playing well when Sexton went off (Like against France) and I've yet to see a massive drop off when Porter went off. It COULD be a weakness but that's the point, until its on show we cant claim it's a weakness. You compare it to France with Dupont where in every game France were in a tight contest he was never taken off, comparatively speaking we aren't doing too badly if Sexton goes off.

It would be nice in a QF if we dont find ourselves 20-0 down after 30 minutes, it would be nice if we are actually competitive if a QF for a change!

• Advertisement

I've been impressed in NZL transformation this year but I keep getting the feeling they are 1 year too early to win the RWC, they remind me a lot of Ireland in 2022 as in they've looked really good but still have flaws that need to ironed out. I almost want teams to try figure us out because by the time they've figured out we've been up to we will have probably evolved our game plan to another level and all the time wasted analysing us will have been for nothing and they'll be even more there for the taking!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I’m the most optimistic I’ve ever been going into a RWC

I'm not just cause our QF will be a dice roll. I think we are at worst 50/50 to win the QF, but you lose half the time then! France in France or NZ is a **** draw but it is what it is.

You compare it to France with Dupont where in every game France were in a tight contest he was never taken off

Porter played all but 39 minutes in the 6 Nations. And that’s including the Italy game.

Thats pretty much unheard of for a LH and is indicative of how important he is to us.

It absolutely is a terrible draw but at a minimum I’d back us to put in a performance. Something we’ve never really done in a QF.

True but at the same time we've yet to see the massive drop off when he goes off to prove it's a weakness. Its much worse if Dupont for instance plays every game as 9 is one of the positions that makes up the spine of you're team is built around him, so if he's off form or injured they are in deeps hit whereas if Ireland lose Porter it wouldnt be anywhere near as detrimental if his replacement can at least hold up a scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You could have just said no you didn't see the ABs team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

NZ look to be motoring with their backline settled. Mo'unga, Barrett and Ioane is a savage axis, especially as Ioane improves at 13. I think that they will shock France come the pool stages, and win comfortably. Setting up Italy to knock them out of their home WC*

*A man can dream

I think I used up all my wishes for that in 2015 with England.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can understand southern hemisphere teams naming their squads so early, players will need to get used to the time zones earlier and lots of planning for travel, but why would a northern team name their squad so early? There's still loads of matches to play, loads of time to name, players are so close if they need to be called up they are just an hour away so surely keeping fringe players in camp makes sense?

Advertisement