Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

FSG are not a charity ffs. They are growing a business and doing it correctly,and successfully.

Football fans throwing toys out of the pram because they don't get enough shiney new signings every window. Living in the past and unable to understand on a high level how business actually works. Jaysus wept.

Try looking at the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Won't somebody think of the poor venture capitalists 🤣🤣🤣. I've never denied that they're not running their business well. Who said they were a charity?

They've done a wonderful PR job on the Liverpool fan base to be fair. So many defenders of the these arch-capitalists running the club for their benefit that the club is seeing none of. Other than being able to hire some competent business leaders (Klopp included), the main positive thing most have to say about FSG is that they're better than Hicks & Gillett. Which is a pretty low bar.

The reality is that they're actually pretty similar to the Glazers except that FSG had the cash upfront to buy the club and didn't load the purchase cost back on the club. The club generates and spends it's own profits, pays off it's own loans etc. What are FSG bringing to the relationship now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

What is the bigger picture? That all.of our rivals spent more than us and are showing more desire, ambition and commitment to win trophies?

But you are right, they are not a charity. They are a sports team, and generally the goal of a sports club is to win things. Unfortunately, that isn't a priority for FSG. Their priority is to operate a business and make it a successful investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

One would think we're not just coming off the back of the most competitive era Liverpool have had in decades.

Some mistakes were made for sure, but this thing of 'they don't want to compete or be successful' is obviously demonstrably untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Hey, don't be talking sense. We have armchair football owners that know how to run the club better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I do agree with you to an extent. They are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, they want to increase the value of their asset and therefore increase their own wealth however just for the record I would also say they are better owners than the Moore family were towards the end so technically they are the best owners we have had in the Premier League era and likely in either of our time supporting the club. "Best" is about as high a bar you can get.

When we get new owners there is no guarantee they will be better than the current owners so maybe you should be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Of course they want to compete and be successful, but it isn't a priority for them. Their priority is the profit and loss account. Their number priority is to grow Liverpool so they can make a return on their investment. If they can do that while being successful and competitive it's a massive bonus for them.

But they won't take any risks and they aren't willing to make a short term loss for potential long term gain. Trying to operate a football club on that model and be successful is extremely difficult and takes a huge amount of luck, as well as skill obviously. But the main point is that it is nearly impossible repeat that model consistently and be successful. The last decades success has been based on hitting pretty much every major transfer we have made, which is so rare to happen and we have seen in the last two years that it can't be maintained.

In terms of our future under FSG, it is far more likely we will be competing for a CL spot rather than a title come the end of April/May for the next few seasons and beyond.

Yeah, fair enough commentary. The frustrating part of it is that FSG could enable Liverpool to be both successful on the pitch and make massive profits. They're just not willing to sacrifice a sliver of their profits to increase the chances of sporting success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Remember these guys

More like Laurel and Hardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Was gonna ask this too? Are FSG suddenly the Glazers?

Alot of complaints about venture capitalists? Who else would take over the club? Despots?

I am trying to picture a wealthy group taking over with loads of cash that wouldn't fall into one of the above categories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I knew the Salah bid would come in from Saudi, I didn't know it would be so easy to refuse, 60m , what are they smoking over there in Saudi Arabia

They want to pay Salah 250m, and Liverpool 60m, did someone get confused, as it should be 250m to Liverpool, and 60m in wages to Salah, weird.

Ronaldo moved for 100m at age of 33, in 2018. Salah is 2 times the player he is currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What a load of nonsense.

Laurel and Hardy were loved by many and well respected in their field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think that's the point most make when criticising FSG, at a certain point 2/3 season ago, had the club invested just a little more in strengthening the squad, it would have had a huge long term benefit and have cost less in the longer term. They didn't and we ended up with last seasons shitshow, losing out on CL and the subsequent loss in revenue and going into this season looking like it will be a transitional season, trying to sign players for hugely over inflated fees, the type of players that could have been signed for much less just a few seasons ago. FSG have been good owners, I think the recruitment team/management have let the ball slip with regards transfer policy ( both in and out) over the last few seasons.

Whenever anyone criticizes FSG, it won't be long before some poster goes on about how bad things were in the H & G era, as if anyone old enough to remember would ever forget. It's like criticism of FSG is not allowed. No one is asking to match the spending of the likes of City, Chelsea, United or even Arsenal, but, smaller clubs have been outspending us, they might not have spent it wisely, that's a different argument, but, they had the money to spend in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

The transfer situation will rightly come under criticism if we don’t get a DM before the end of the window. They decided to let Fabinho leave which absolutely shouldn’t have been sanctioned unless they were 100% sure a replacement would come in.

What we should have done in previous seasons and what that would mean for us now is completely theoretical. 2 seasons ago we competed in every competition going until the final day so strengthening didn’t seem required then.

Making do with the squad as-is after that season to wait for Bellingham did end up hurting us so I would hate to see us repeat that mistake by trying to make do without a Fabinho replacement though.

But we have a replacement for Fabinho, and he's only 8m , no excuses not to have the Lavia deal done, it's like Liverpool are determined to only spend the 40m they got for Fabinho, they won't put a lousy 8m with it and settle the deal with Southampton. I'm sure 48m gets a deal done.

Liverpool are acting like they didn't just get a windfall of 60m euro for Fabinho and Henderson, FSG need to hand it the fck over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I agree. That is frustrating. Like for example had we purchased one decent midfielder last summer we most likely would have qualified for top 4 last season and therefore that midfielder would have paid for himself.

However one thing we know about these owners is that it is possible for us to win every single trophy under them which is a hell of a lot more than can be said for almost any owner of any football team in the entire world.

_______Alisson______

Konate__VVD__Robertson

___Trent___MacAllister___

Salah___Gakpo____Diaz_

________Jota_____

____Nunez_______

Give me goals

Kill em that way

We've spent a fair bit recently.

Nunez was 60-80

Gakpo was 50

Mac was 35

Sobo 60

That's a serious fortune between august 2022 and august 2023.

Tbf, there would have been some player sales (Mane, Hendo, Fab) and wage bill reductions as well but over 200m.

Doesn't change the fact we need more of course.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Might be time to go for an alternative?

Gotta hand it to Southampton.

Know how desperate we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Another Lavia bid rejected, so looks like we either go into the season without a recognised 6 in the squad or, eventually end up paying what Southampton actually wanted and waste three odd weeks of everyone's time in the process. I'm all for the club eking out a deal, but this was an unprecedented situation where we had zero leverage and it was a critical situation.

It was possible in the past, a lot of things lined up for us, excellent recruitment, getting Klopp, Salah completely over achieving anyone's wildest expectations. I'm not so sure we can repeat this in the future, a lot of things have changed, Newcastle getting bought by the Saudis, Arsenal spending big again, United having a half decent manager, losing out on CL and the associated revenue ( which hurts us more than other clubs), transfer fees have become hugely inflated, plus our recruitment has gone from excellent to mediocre over the last few seasons. It's not a level playing field, but, we seem to be making it more difficult for ourselves, as you rightly said had we signed a midfielder last summer it's likely we'd have made top 4 and he'd have paid for himself, but, the club seems to take a really short term low risk view, which actually costs more in the long run.

Ah but we willingly spent all that, with no knowledge of the recent 64m euro windfall of the last 10 days. You would think we would just hand it over and replace Fab at least.

was it not 40m Fab and 12m Hendo? Or was there another sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

This Lavia saga is actually embarassing at this stage. Just walk away and move on to another target at this stage. If you end up paying the 50, that should have been done ages ago and got the player in for a pre season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My guess is Klopp really wants him but the transfer team are saying move on. Then the negotiation team are basically trying to get as fair a price as possible.

I already think they're overpaying at the £40m and was full sure the deal would be done for £45m. Maybe it's just a matter of reducing add ons and increasing the guaranteed price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

If they don't walk away now it will damage their credibility in future negotiations, they got deals before because they were willing to walk away.....

Is he really even worth that much? You have to draw a line somewhere. It’s crucial that the recruitment team are sure of it as it’s such a mad amount of money for a championship player who’s had one fairly okay season in the PL.

To me, it reeks of the Fred to United transfer. A player that’s shown a little bit of promise being sold to a desperate club who paid way over the odds to a club who didn’t need to sell.

But as we all know well at this stage, the club won’t have an alternative lined up in time for the end of the window so it’s Lavia or bust.

Such a frustrating transfer window once again. One could only dream of another one like summer 2018 where we had our business done by the third week of July, and very good business too.

What did I fabricate? I provided a link with evidence previously. Easy enough to google the Redbird Capital investment details. Have a gander. I don't expect a direct answer from you tbh. You've avoided any discussion so far and seem to prefer sniping from the sidelines.

Or Klopp doesn't want him but the recruitment team do. Or the way you said it. But I would believe that there is a different of opinion.

I understand the whole notion of trying to get the best deal, possible but it's petty clear that Liverpool don't value Lavia at £50m. They had a price for him. If that price wasn't accepted, then move on. They have backed themselves into a corner where they are going to have overpay for him and pay the amount that they said was too much at the outset. And wasted weeks in between. Desperation and embarassing.

And personally has cleared a lot of hope I had for the season when MacAllister and Szoboszlai. When Szoboszlai was signed 5 weeks ago, we needed a CB & DM. And would be set for a challenge for the title IMO. Instead 2 midfielders were signed and nobody was bought. This resulted in a CB, a DM and CM being required and none have been signed. In 5 weeks. Ridiculous carry on by the recruitment team. Klopp didn't kick up enough fuss either. He said he wanted a couple players but he should have threatened more.

To be fair you can't call him a Championship player when he has never played a game in the Championship.

Were Gini, Robbo and Shaqiri Championship players?

There's only a few million in the difference, so you'd imagine it'll get over the line.

I don't think it would be the transfer committee who wouldn't walk away. If it was me I'd be looking at Adams from Leeds at this stage. Risky of he's not over his injuries.

Joyce is after putting out an article saying that Southampton are looking for over £50m. Is this a new asking price or what?

• Advertisement

At the moment 40 million is definitely over paying for him, never mind 50 million, but, we've also backed ourselves into a corner, having no DM, means selling clubs will demand as much as they can from us. In the longer term, especially if there's no alternative linded up which is likely, then over paying for him might end up cheaper in the long run. The price of players are only going one way, everyone and his dog knows we need a DM, so unless there's a free agent DM out there able to do the job, ( which there isn't), we're going to get fleeced. Of course it'll only be worth over paying for him if he's any good, which is a risk the club needs to weigh up, the fact they are trying to sign him in the first place suggests they think he's good enough to do the job. The club have made a bit of a pigs ear out of this Lavia transfer, but, last season we missed out on CL because we didn't sign a midfielder, at this stage I'd prefer we overpay and get him in than not sign anyone.

Well Robbo did play a full season in the Championship before going up with Hull but I get your point.

It’s generally expected that a fee will be lower for a player signed from a lower division (we’d never have gotten Robbo or Cube for such reasonable fees if they weren’t relegated). It seems that’s changing though, Maddison going for £40m and Joao Pedro costing a pretty penny as well.

Given that Southampton played like a poor Championship team for the majority of last season, I’ll stand by calling Lavia a Championship player. Until he isn’t, of course. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Edson Alvarez to West Ham, thought he was highly rated.

Surprised bigger club, or ourselves not interested

Is there anything to be said for another loan of Arthur?

Interesting that it looks like Mac Allister starting in DM in our last friendly, with Szobo and Gakpo. Wonder is that how we'll line up? It had looked like Jones was taking that DM spot based on other preseason games... will see how they change things around over the two halves too anyway.

Trent playing inverted again.

• Advertisement

Or are they playing in a 4-2-3-1 with Jota as the 9?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭realrebel

Diaz, Mo, and Jota are up front, with Gakpo and Szobo behind them in midfield, and then Mac Allister at Dm with Trent coming in beside him.

2-0 already, Mo with an goal and assist, Jota scoring the second. Both easy enough.

Before I can even post 2-0 they've pulled one back.

I'm so concerned about this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭realrebel

2.1 now

• Advertisement
Advertisement