Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭danois

Just home and chilling out. Washing machine on the go to get rid of the festival mud. Had another fantastic festival even though I didn’t love some of the music the atmosphere and the people we met made up for it. I found the majority of the dance music on offer sounded the same just one long repetitive beat. (Sound like my mother now!) I’m a lover of dance but no one really stood out except Overmono.

I think the organisers let themselves down a bit with facilities definitely needed more toilets and lights. Bins in our camp site were emptied Friday morning and not again after that. I did see them laying some wood chip on Friday night down near AVA in the woods. But didn’t see any put anywhere else. The guys in Londis didn’t do a thing about the mud. There was so much mud on the entrance at some stages was almost impossible to get in. The sound was also awful at the main stage and way too much sound bleed from bandstand and the well.

That all sounds very negative but in fact had a very positive time. Really enjoyed everything apart from the rain but can’t blame anyone for that. Will deffo go again I think it’s a magical little festival and love the whole setup. Finding all the installations in the woods is fantastic and as always made a pig of myself with fantastic found.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

I take it you didn't see the Daphni show then? Man is on a different level

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Caribou themselves were insane as well. Sun was the moment of the weekend for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Had a great weekend with a great group of friends, but found it a struggle on Saturday especially, the mud in places was dangerous and the organisers did very little with woodchip in areas that were dangerous. They were obviously unprepared. The ground seemed fine on Friday, we left Jessie Ware and went to Overmono then stayed there for Todd Terje, left 4 hours later to a quagmire and slipped and slided back to boutique. Missed a lot of areas and acts because the mud was so bad. Still, belter weekend, roll on ATN2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Caribou were probably the best I've seen them - unbelievably tight. But **** me Daphni was possibly the best live set I've seen and not just the music. Visuals were outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Phishwax

No they were on the same stage…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

Sunday definitely the best of the crop for me. Tourist and Le Boom real standouts, but then even smaller things like Kelly-Anne Byrne spinning some great disco as the sun as out really felt soothing after the slog of Saturday.

Agree with what others have said re. poor ground management by the organisers. Can only assume they cheaped out and chanced it, but that backfired. Thought the lighting was really insufficient in a lot of the main walkways as well, which made things dicey with the mud. Compared to a smaller festival like Body & Soul which really light their site up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

Brilliant weekend. Organisers should have done a lot more to make the place safer and easier to get around but apart from that had a brilliant time.

Highlights for me were Warmduscher, Caribou and Iggy. Thanks to this thread for recommending Warmduscher. Had given them a good listen before and loved their set. Caribou were fantastic and Iggy was the perfect way to close a great festival. Have seen the Stooges with the Asheton brothers and the raw power line up with James Williamson too. 1st time at an Iggy solo gig so was great seeing a mix of solo and stooges stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 affricates

The first year of the festival the food area and comedy tent were around the house I heard something about the house having someone living in it and that’s why it was stopped ( could be a lie!)

Last year definitely had more seating around the bandstand/food area but I thought this year the main area had more than last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Had a good weekend but music was poor overall. The late night situation really needs to be sorted out, multiple stages of the same boring electronica isn't good enough. If you're a dj and you don't see many dancing maybe you should change your set. Seriously needs more variety at night.

It appeared a bit more corporate to me this year also. The loss of the rocknroll cocktail bar on the way down to the house was noticeable.

Lovely Days stage had great sound but wasn't much to look at, expected more from the blurb description.

As usual for me Saturday was a struggle but was i on full power for Friday and Sunday. As mentioned already, lack of woodchip/straw in certain areas seemed strange.

A new layout yet again. Didn't locate Arcadia and Ealu La Gra until Sunday. One of the least painful walks from carpark to entrance i've had though, so that was a plus.

Beak were act of the weekend for me followed by Warmduscher and Iggy.

I'd go again but they need to up their game with the lineup.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Some of my best memories at EP is great bands on in Body & Soul at late night, thinking back to Austra for example, that calibre of act on at 2 or 3am, I think ATN need to create that vibe somewhere around the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Belter of a weekend.. f*ck the weather.. it's unfortunate but it shouldn't make or break a festival.

Have an amazing time with family - including some over from Australia and loved it!

Arrived Thursday and wandered into Bandstand / Lovely Days / Arcadia. Good vibe in the evening but was a bit tired to enjoy it fully.

Some great music on Friday and Saturday for me including Caribou (immense!), Barry Can't Swim, Overmono, Villagers (Conor O'Brien's voice is just unmatched IMO) and poppy fun from Sugababes.

Sunday dipped a bit for me musically - Max Richter wasn't doing it for me so went to Lovely Days for Wunderhorse but was the far side one of the stacks so music suffered as a result. Lorde was good fun, and Tourist was a bit too chilled for me. Wasn't feeling S*it Robot either.

But all for all - a solid year musically and very well run as usual.. met loads of sound people.

Myself and the OH got married in the inflatable church on Saturday in prep for the actual wedding next Sunday. So all eyes turn to that now.

Til next year lads!

Rest, recover, shower, repeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Enjoying the reviews lads. I'm not going to lie to you, it looked like a bit of a slog. Any feedback on Wunderhorse, Gretyl Hänlyn or Biig Piig gratefully received.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

Had a great night Friday night, in late enough a bit of a boogy in that Schweppes area, then caught lankums set, had been looking forward to the Andrew weatherall tribute but there was hardly anyone there but those who were danced away in the pouring rain. Arrived back to campervan area soaked to the skin. Saturday was a mudfest and nothing done to help the conditions. Saturday I we caught cruel sister, Lisa O'Neill, her cover of black boys on mopeds I found very emotional as my sis is not well with cancer. Music can truly touch your soul. Seen some of caribou. Daniel avery and Jamie xx. Finished the night at AVA. Found it a little claustrophobic so headed back at 2am. Sunday was a nice chilled afternoon with Saint sister, didn't really get the max richter thing. Iggy was amazing and then an amazing gig by beak who just stumbled upon. Finished my weekend dancing to a set from Claire beck etc Al at the belonging bandstand. There was some lovely tributes to Sinead over the weekend. Its a hell of a journey from the north but great to be at a festival where you don't feel old. Will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Didn't see Wunderhorse.

Biig Pigg was great. Her band were pretty funky.

I only got the first 30 minutes or so of Gretyl Hanlyn, before Lisa O Neill. They had some issues with their gear getting lost in transit so it was more of a pared down set but i enjoyed them and I'd say would be definitely worth checking out when they have their own gear.

Thee UFO were one of my highlights, not sure if they play eotr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SkibbereenIRL

First time at ATN and absolutely loved it,

Organisation in and out of the event was really well done, the walk to the campsite was nothing crazy,

@Stillill42 Biig Piig was incredible - niced sized band for the set made it feel like a super established performance. For someone who is only 25 years of age she really owned the stage and crowd, amazing energy and love for her from the crowd. I would see her again at a solo show.

Pros:

RE: Conditions Sunday was a perfect day - the sun really redeemed the sting of the rain on the friday for sure. It was nice to leave the festival with a good taste in your mouth (metaphorically) 😂....

Loved all the tents down by the house - it felt night and day to the main stage area

Loved the tip that boutique campers have access to the guest area - this saved us many a queue from the main toilet areas

Loved the app & schedule planner & push reminders

Cons:

Was disappointed in the lack of action on the mud situation - I think we can all agree no money could cover the full event - just for danger spots eg bottle necks & hills. I had good boots so managed ok to get around the site. I felt for people with mobility challenges or kids.

Would love to have seen some sort of early main stage action on Sunday - like a gospel choir or ska band or something cool early in the day while everyone was in great spirits.

Would love to have seen better efforts on recycling on the site, I know its impossible with thousands of drunk people but I love festivals who do the returnable cups for the bar situation.

We never knew till Sunday that there were food/coffee trucks in the boutique camping area as it wasnt on the map - and like fools we were trekking in each morning to big queues.

Anyway maybe the festival organisers wont care for our feedback & festivals are tough to manage and I think its one of the best in Ireland so kudos to the organisers for taking the punt a few years ago and kicking ATN off. I can only imagine the stress the festival team was under trying to see how the high winds would play out..

Really looking forward to next year already! Hope everyone had a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Gretyl Hanlyn was super. Really endearing and a belter of a set.

Biig Piig felt like she was born to that stage. Really owned it. It would nearly be hard to imagine her in a small venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Great weekend.

Line up was great and delivered across the three days. Highlights were Iggy, TV Girl, Jessie Ware, Max Richter, Greta Hanlyn, The Scratch and The Yard. Low lights, Sorcha Richardson can never deliver her recorded talent live and same applied to Whenyoung.

Liked the new layout for Arcadia and PPD. It felt like the whole area around the house had been abandoned.

Sound was mixed. You definitely needed to be centre of the stage or you were losing quality pretty quickly. New stage was excellent as was The Well.

Agree with others that a little more late night variety would be great.

A slightly younger crowd, possibly because EP is sold out. That definitely added to the level of chatting at the gigs.

Food choice was good. Would be nice if Diageo added an ale to their list. Heineken used to do a nice Cute Hoor bar at EP, that was a rip off but it least it gave you the choice to be ripped off.

Mud was tough going, but I've been at worse and after a month and a half of rain, there is only so much that wood chip can do and sometimes it can make things worse.

The new layout shifting the campervans way out up a hill was a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Thee UFO and Sun Mahshene, along with 2 other acts i don't know, are playing McHugh's in Drogheda this weekend Sat.12th. if anyone is interested.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭darzog

An early arrival on Thursday meant a stroll to the entrance from red car park. Felt sorry for campervan/caravan folk whose area was pushed back. That looked like a heck of a hike from their area to the main stage. 

Music wise. Highlights were: Black Country, New Road; Thee UFO; Iggy; Really Good Time (an unexpected delight); and, the ever reliable Billy Bragg. Having seen The Twisted Sisters on numerous occasions at smaller festivals, I was pleased for them to hear that they were on the bill at ATN. I bumped into Susie and Karen in Global Roots the night before and said I would come along to give a bit of verbal support (i.e press ganged into service!) It was fun to see the looks of bemusement on the faces of Cambium-bound punters at the incongruous sight of this wee woman with a broad Co.Armagh accent singing about big knickers and freeing the weed, all delivered with liberal use of industrial language. 

As clean as the sound at Lovely Days was, I missed the old tent. There are certain bands that only truly work in a dark, heaving tent. The layout of the new stage meant that it was all a bit…sanitised or dare I say, soulless? Others will doubtless disagree. That’s ok.

I also missed there being music in The Well on Saturday and Sunday evenings. For me, that’s usually where my most interesting acts tend to play. Last year on Sat & Sun: Onion Boys, Gurriers, Silverback, Thumper… I accept that there is a lot of noise bleed between the Bandstand and the Well at noisier/quieter moments. This could have been the reason…or keeping costs down perhaps? Loved Filmore! (One half of Tebi Rex) on Thursday evening in The Well. Felt for them though. A dozen or so hardy souls stayed from beginning to end.

Enjoyed the Grub Circus and All Curious Minds areas. Maybe it’s an age thing as there are chairs for a nice old sit-down. Big shout out for John Murry on Sunday. Interesting guy, amazing musician, fascinating life. The tent was heaving for Danny Kelly interviewing Liam Brady. Again, brilliant interview and both very engaging. Poor Danny. I went full fan boy on him and made him have a selfie with me but instead of saying cheese, I asked him to say “Any more pie?” If you know, you know…

Sound was poor at times in SKW tent, Lankum in particular. Gave up on Max Richter as everyone in the tent seemed to have been storing up all their chat, ready to unleash it and talk their way through a set that required a bit of hush / respect for the musicians. 

Does anyone know what happened to The Eskies on Sunday? They were due to play Last City at 9, but Ispíní na hÉireann were in their time slot… I was really looking forward to seeing them after a poor run mid-afternoon to early evening.

I’m certain that putting Ping Ping Disco and Éalú Le Grá outside of the main festival area must have affected their numbers. PPD was always packed last year, but when I popped my head in on Sunday afternoon, the place was virtually empty. No fun for the guys up there giving it plenty… I would love to hear that I’m wrong and that these areas were well attended overall.

The issues with the mud have been extensively covered. Also made the weekend that bit more draining having to wade through the proper hot-spots for two and a bit days. Went down twice. Sore ankle. I got off lightly by the sounds of it though… 

As with any solo flight, the weekend is always brightened when you bump into familiar, friendly faces. Was lovely being reacquainted with Desk Tidy and Rubick as well as getting to meet Thundercats Ho and pal, and also CoffeeImpala. All a great bunch…look forward to paths crossing again.

edit: reading all that back, it does read as quite negative. There were lots of plus points and overall I had a good weekend….honestly!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

First time at ATN, really enjoyed it! Haven't been to an Irish festival since EP 2013 so haven't much to compare it to, but it was a very nice atmosphere. Agreed about the muck on Saturday, they could have put down wood chips etc in the higher traffic areas. Had to pull a girl out of the mud on the way back to the campsite Saturday night.

The sound was very iffy in parts. Was standing right hand side of the main stage at the beginning Sugababes and didn't even realise they'd started. Moved to the left and it was a lot better. SOTW tent also had a lot of issues, Black Country New Road seemed to be having a nightmare. The bleed between The Well and the bandstand was very annoying too during the comedy acts. Lovely Days was grand for any acts I was there for. Didn't really explore many of the smaller stages, next time!

Some great gigs over the weekend, though the lineup was a little dance heavy for me. Very smooth getting in but had a nightmare getting out this afternoon, probably just due to us leaving at peak time though. Overall a great experience and will likely be back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'm bummed to have missed Daphni, as I had to head back to Dublin before he played.

Caught a good DJ set from Caribou's drummer earlier in the day though, which was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Max Richter should have been on the main stage, had to move closer and closer to get a decent ear on it. The talking in the tent was insane for what the gig was and to be fair it's very hard to get a quiet crowd at a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Absolutely shattered here after an amazing weekend. Almost 5 hours of sitting in the car to get home between an hour in the carpark and getting caught behind a crash on the M7. But it feels good to be back sleeping in a real bed!

Music wise I managed to catch a lot of acts over the 4 days, highlights were Iggy Pop, Le Boom, Skatbard (that was a great run of a Sunday night), Caribou and Overmono. Moving Still b2b with Coy Haste from Caribou also amazing. However there were a number of acts that let me down over the weekend too such as Todd Terje, Sugababes and Jamie XX.

A criticism I had last year was the late night options being very samey, I thought they had better variety this year (although some above disagree) - albeit still very dance music focused. But for me there were much better options this year at least.

Site wise I'd love to see them have a walkway from Ping Pong Disco/Ealu le Grá straight into the main arena. It was too disconnected from the rest of the festival and that walk was very heavy on the legs with all of the mud. I'd also love to see them make better use of the area around the house, we went down on the Sunday and would have stayed but just felt there wasn't much to keep us there and no food trucks/bars.

The muck was very difficult particularly on Saturday, I was genuinely in disbelief coming out of SKOW on the Friday night at the stage of the place compared to 4 hours earlier. Would echo others that you'd have liked to have seen more done. But apparently there were trucks/diggers in the main arena on the Sunday morning scraping out the heavy muck according to a friend who was working there.

It's a great festival. Lovely atmosphere, site, food, drink options and IMO a great lineup this year. Bumped into so many friendly people over the weekend. The bar was set high in 2018, 2019 was a bit of a disappointment but last year was a return to form and they kept that going this year despite the muck. Hope ye all had a great one!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Gunner5

I know that it's insanely difficult to get it all right but the 25 min trek back to buses yesterday seems a bit unfair given the choice to use public transport and you get punished with the furthest distance to go.

All in all though a fantastic weekend and can't wait for next year !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pedrozeno

I think I was in at Overmono on Friday night and couldn't believe the state of the place when I walked out of the tent. The place was destroyed.

The ground had been very soft even arriving into the grounds Friday morning so it shouldn't have been a surprise that a heavy shower would make such a mess of things. God, it's hard work traipsing around in the mud all day. Thank god Sunday was better.

Our tent took a pummelling Saturday morning, some of our tent poles were split but it held up well other than that, thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭taramurf

I’ll echo other peoples points about Ping Ping Disco / Ealú area - defo needs a walkway from the main arena to reconnect it with the rest of the festival. Great spot but was too far away (especially as we were in camper van area and the mud situation made it less easy to wander)

Another observation was the lack of security. I think I got asked to show my wristband once (bizarrely on my way back to the camper on Sunday night!) and I didn’t see any bag checks whatsoever. I’m not complaining of course but seemed weird.

We met a bunch of girls who had had a Garda sniffer dog find some stuff in their tent, so just thought I’d mention that as someone on here ages ago was asking if that ever happened….

I found it strange that the camper van section had been moved back a field from last year - even though there was a massive empty space below where we were parked in 2022 - so it was a bit of an unnecessary slog up the hill. And there was only one water point - also miles away at the bottom of the hill. Water is heavy to carry!!

Moaning aside, it’s still a brilliant festival with fantastic friendly people and some great little areas in the woods to explore.

see y’all in 2024!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Just on that ELG / PPD area.

There was a walkway from there, that came out at the RHS of the Lovely Days stage (at the bar / toilets).

It was open early Friday to the public and then sporadically over the weekend.

It was supposed to be only for staff but regular campers were using it too. A buddy of mine used it as he wasn't so mobile on the muddy tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Great weekend , a bit of everything, weather and music wise..

Cons-

Obviously the lack of care for the ground conditions , especially from the Bandstand up the hill to Lovely Days, i saw 2 women down at different times with gardai and medics attending (2 breaks i heard - ? )

We were in family, and had to park in the Red car park - 2 of us doing 2 runs, with kids bringing gear in is a bit much! Family parking should have been where the Campervans were, and the Campervans over in ALL the free space between Family and the exit road.I said it to the Head guy on nights there, and he said theres loads of complaints, and they got it badly wrong. The exit road is at the top, so i asked the same guy if i could drive the car to there and we could load the car . He said to go ahead - saved so much hassle, and arguments.

Line up-

as i said a few times, very very dancy for me, but still enjoyed walking around , the Schweppes bar had some good dj/music in there, The Rockshore bar had great stuff in there too (Abandoman was class)

Highlights:

TheClockworks -excellent , really really liked them.

Max Richter - was amazing but had to leave as you couldnt hear with all the chat from the back !

Biig Piig - really liked her set - plenty of stage presence . Excellent

Sugababes - not really my cuppa tae , but enjoyed it. Great musicians behind them , and the 3 girls seemed to be enjoying it, Loved the sychronised dancing :)

Onion Boys -Madness after midnight.. Great fun

The Scratch - Mayhem ...

Gretel Hanlyn - class, really really good...

Iggy - just a Punk... always was, always will..... Class.

Warmduscher- enjoyed that.

Let downs -

Lorde....... me , nor any of the others with me liked it, we left after 15mins...... Just a MEH headliner......

Sound in some places was a bit iffy, but there was nothing wrong with the sound in the Thump-Thump places in the woods !! 😋 Fcuk they are loud.....

"intoxicated" people that elbow/barrel/horse on through past you and your kids because 'im going to ma friends like' and fcuk you and your standing there 20 mins early so your kids can get a good spot !! Cnuts.....

Overall, we a ll had a great time, Mud made it memorable/interesting ... 😁

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement