Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC23 Warmups - Ireland v Italy, Sat 5th Aug, KO 8PM - TV: RTÉ2 and RTÉ Player, Amazon Prime Video

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you've any unsettled squad like England, you need time together to create a "team". Borthwick must have had about 60 players in his training squads so far, so no opportunity to create a team environment.

He now had 3 weeks to create that team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Because if you had, you would have realized that it was a mostly second string NZ side. They made 12 changes to the starting XV from the week before. So going on about their performance against an average Wallabies team is pointless.

Now I don't think this ABs team is as strong as previous incarnations but it is the best they've looked in the Foster era. Much like Ireland, if they get through the QF, then I would expect them to make the final.

New Zealand are joint favourites for the competition, and have never sent a more experienced squad to a world cup before.

They are absolutely a force to be reckoned with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Theyll likely still have others involved anyway like players who are on standby list. players not in final squad dont have to leave/not train with teams yet.

getting used to timezone isnt really a factor i would say, teams are still down in SH for another while yet. if you know what your final places are then why not name it. You could name a squad but not have submitted it yet anyway.

NZ are coming north quite early. They are playing the Boks in Twickenham on the 26th. I read somewhere that they named a few extra players who will travel north and be on standby in case of injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

100%. You occasionally hear “they’re not as strong as previous incarnations” but those previous incarnations (2011, 2015) were probably the best team to ever play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

Am I the only one on the planet who wasn't that impressed with Casey on Saturday? I thought he was slow to decide where he was passing off rucks, made some bad decisions and generally looks off the pace. He bounces around a lot and looks very quick but was his delivery any quicker than Blade's or Murray's normally is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I think the extra players have to stay outside the host country? Could be completely wrong though.

Yeah they'll probably train with them in the UK until the squad heads over to France then they'll probably just keep training in the UK until they're needed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The tonga game is a serious potential banana skin, its this years japan game and we better be right for it because they will be ready for us and they have some serious talent in their team.

As far as i can see we play whoever against romania, thats essentially another warm up. But the team for the tonga game is picked based on the team for the SA game.

So we pack the bench for the Tonga game and have pretty close to our starting team for the SA game as the team that finishes the tonga match.

Win those 3 games and your into a QF with a few weeks and a game to spare.

Handy for us. Believe in the last world cup the reserve players went on "holiday" in Korea or Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Downlinz

People really need to stop talking up Tonga so much, just because they have a few big name veteran players in their ranks doesn't suddenly make them a force to be reckoned with. They finished bottom of the Pacific Nations cup losing every game and haven't beaten a tier 1 side in 7 years.

Japan by comparison won the Pacific Nations Cup in 2019 and had beaten Italy and drawn with France the year before so the signs were very different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We're grand slam holders, number 1 team in the world, we should be looking at the first couple of games in the RWC as tuning games, no offence to either team but our second string should be able to for them, anything less than bonus point wins in those would be a disaster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They're not allowed train with the squad and there is a 48 (or 72?) hour period between being called up and being allowed train with the squad no matter where they are. Pretty sure they are allowed be in the country though, no way you could enforce otherwise.

72 hours. to stop you having a load of players in country and just adding them immediately if you do lose a player. its to counter fact some countries wont be able to have/afford to have players training etc in country for tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Watched the game again earlier. Fair enough it was a disjointed second half display but we left at least 5 try's out there with a team that has never played together in a first game of the season.

Irrespective of the scoreboard and fluency of the performance, the thing that really gave me encouragement was the physicality of the Irish players. Nearly everyone on the team looked very powerful and that bodes well I think. It's an early indicator that we have gotten our prep right this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is there a set date for squad announcement here?

• Advertisement

Think it was confirmed a while back that it will be announced on August 28th. has to be sent to world rugby before sept 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Edit - Never mind the conversation has moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭noc1980

Can we afford to put out our 2nd string against Romania and Tonga? What if Scotland beat SA, SA beats us and we beat Scotland? Then points difference comes in to play and the score we put on Tonga and Romania could be critical, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes. Romania wont be an issue regardless who we put out. They only qualified because of Spain having an ineligible player in an ENC game. It would go to points difference in that case but we should still be rather comfortable against Romania at least.

And it wont be completely 2nd string against either. it will be mix of players who need game time who didnt get enough in warm ups and squad players

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tonga shouldn't be a second string team. It should be the full first choice team coming together in a tuning up game the week before we play South Africa imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think he's a better player than he showed on Sat, especially given the disjointed nature of the team by the time he came on. Casey was decent, probably better than I've seen him play previously, but I'm not convinced he's the second coming. He also had the benefit of playing with his provincal partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Second string. Dirt trackers. The economy seats.

I suspect the best teams; England 2003, New Zealand 2011 etc, considered that any player should be able to come on at any time and for there to be zero drop in standard or effectiveness.

We've never really been in that position before, but we can rightly expect to be now.

Yes, the schedule is punishing and player management will be vital, but really any 23 of the 33 should have the expectation to win, against any team in the Group l, even South Africa.

When you see the England squad named today and see how crap it is, that should assure anyone involved in the Ireland squad, that any team in the World Cup is there for the taking. Except maybe France.

We'll just have to hope the weight of expectation detonates them somewhere along the line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You can have them in the country just not the squad. You couldn't very well temporarily deport the entire extended French squad for a month!

The 72 hours is to even things out with flying players in from anywhere on the planet. If a NZ player is called up he gets 3 days to get flights sorted and to join up with the rest of the squad. If a French player lives just down the road from the basecamp he's just not supposed to go down there before the 72 hours.

Advertisement