Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Fitzmaurice is not bad.look at the video of him taking on the 2 women from the epa at a dail committee recently.he destroyed them with facts without losing it and made them look rather silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lorne Armstrong

If any one looked at Gibbions twitter timeline for 10 minutes and look at his replies to other users. They get insulting personal slurs and childish put downs. No engagement what so ever. He is not to be taken seriously and will soon get his comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Exactly. Was shocked looking at it today, pisses on everyone and everything in sight. He's not well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Blocked me a while back for nothing …..didn’t loose sleep over it ….he acts like a little petulant child anybody who disagrees or questions him or call him out on things gets blocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yeah - I don't bother with him either on Twitter and I get the impression he annoys alot of people in the conservation/nature movement too with his abrasive approach which only alienates people from engaging with important issues in this space. Alot of the same traits as Eamon Ryan and some other Greens, only more aggressive and obnoxious😣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

Like a water melon. Green on the outside, red on the inside.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Random question: anyone “have a rest” on weekend mornings?

As in, milk at 7am Mon-Fri but 8am on Sat and Sun?

Would it make any difference to the cows?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Are ye all happy with your heat detection systems.

I wanted one before but I was getting on very well with tail paint, one round of Ai and a bull cleaning up.

It's the time of year now when I'm so sick of bulls and their issues I'm thinking of buying a system for next year with the view to just having a bull for the heifers eventually.

I see there is alot of monthly charges with systems now which I don't like. I don't remember that being the case before. I'd prefer to buy upfront and that's it.

• Advertisement

Loads of good systems out there …you pay for what u get .all of them have pluses and minuses but good in general …I have smaXtec ….very very happy with it on heat and health ….main thing that sold it for me was an internal bolus …in my mind and after looking at others it had to be more accurate than collars or tags …no regrets on buying it …far cheaper than others …yes a monthly charge ..yes if cow dies or you sell a cow bolus is gone but info back and how accurate it is negates it for me

Thanks. I think I’d manage to wait an hour for the porridge 😀

Just trying to work thru different scenarios here. A fake lie-in might be something to mark the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You can buy scr collars outright still anyways, their circa 110 plus vat a collar and around 4k for base station and installation, if you got the tams grant on it, would take the harm out of it....

Cow manager you can buy the package outright and a 5 year subscription included but it actually works out alot dearer than scr if you have health/fertility and rumination on the package for fertility only its a bit cheaper....

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Much perfer to milk same time Sunday morning and head back to bed afterwards or head round to herself place for a good sleep !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yer going to be awake at the same time anyway once ya get used to being up for 7am every other day. Would ya be better up and finish at the same time and take an hour or more after the breakfast to put the feet up and log in here

Probably true.

I like getting up early (sign of aging?) at the moment and having a bit of time to myself before herself and the young lads wake and the rest of the day begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

How's conception going with ye? Looking to be a poor year here anyway on the cows, would normally stay around 10% the last few years but heading passed 15 now just on observation. Feckin sickened cos they were bulling well after oad in the spring, thought at least I'd get a good whip in the ai to cover the loss in milk but not so

Heifers 💯….cows not scanned but telling me 85/93 cows served are over 40 days since last serve and deemed in calf ….will only scan about 20 cows ….scanned everything last year and v what smaXtec was telling me empty no difference …..had 2 bulls with cows since I finished Ai on June 6 ….

Moonsyst is another bolus one. I've time to consider anyway. Will be giving a serious look at the dairy show.

• Advertisement

Was going really well. But I see the bull serving a few after 60 days recently. Embryo loss I guess or else just the bull being bored. Hopefully the latter because there was no cow bothering to rise on them. Also I'd say the bull took a week off about 5 weeks ago. Alot of cows (about 10%) were served here about 2 weeks ago. Things seem to have settled down now again. Leaving the bull in a week longer as I intend milking a few extra next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

Plenty of fellows milking at 10am at the weekend or every other day of the week. If you konked it tonight do you think the cows care who or what time they are milked tomorrow?

The only advantage of being self employed is some flexibility with time. A watch is only jewelry around here. An hour don't matter a shittte. Have a good lie in with herself in the morning. Do it twice if you can LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I go back to bed - alone- for an hour or 2 on a sunday if no football on. I also get up for 40 minutes peace before I go out to milk each morning. Dishwasher, washing machine on. Do bank payments etc with a cup of tea before I go out. Leave breakfast stuff ready for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Any idea how long whole crop needs to be ensiled before it can be fed out ?

pitted 2 weeks ago tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Once cows are down to 16 litres. They'll take a hit on yield otherwise. Non scientific research😃

If u used an additive some of them ok to feed from 10 days ….even at that I’d prefer at least 3 weeks to ferment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

No difference at all, if there's anything going on/wrong at all you'd lose a hour anyway. Make sure they've plenty grass and you could let them for 2 or 3 without a bother, suit yourself. A top classgood local farmer used to get the kids to school every day before the cows, milk away again at 5.30ish, he had a shorter day and got a lot more done than most. Plus time with the family.

In reply to Siamsa Sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

15 years OAD experience, 5 years full time now, I don't know anyone but who milks first thing in the morning so I don't know that one. On grazing , they might eat 5% less, but generally meal levels are 1-2 kgs less so it works out the same.

You can change frome once to twice a day at will, even in mid season, but, to use an analogy I read once, you have a strong brake and a weak accelerator!

Most breeds of cows will do, there's more difference within them between breeds.

Alot of the present OAD info came from NZ and into that cohort of farmers so there's plenty info on the jersey X, which have much the same pros and cons as on TAD. They're a bit more prone to mastitis and SCC due to low udders and milk leakage, like a lot of NZ stock, if milked inside in the spring.

Be a little careful of low litres and high % as it can result in SCC issues at lactation end simply due to concentration. That said it will only magnify what's already there rather than cause a problem.

Current breed index evaluations count for little as you will see yourself once you start, if you divide your cows between high, middle, and low, they could all change a rank and OAD indexes aren't based on milk recording OAD cows afaik.

Personally I've found British Friesians had the lowest adaption rate, and have had poorish results with Kiwi Xs, and high solids high EBI Fr. I'm very happy with some NR x and MOx but you've a bit of working our yourself as you go, you'll learn a lot from your own cows.

In general I look for a low maintenance high health herd to keep costs down to compensate for the reduced income but I know a man who milked 40+l Hols cows for a year before he retired and was very happy when they were milking 30+l on OAD, I'm not sure how long they'd last though.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Cow down with milk fever this morning ….and got call from contract rearer that he noticed 2 calves with blood in there dung ….both calves injected and full bunch treated for cocci…..cow for mag ,calcium and phosphorous injection and popped straight up

2 unusual things for august

Advertisement