Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview Updates - 2023

Comments

• Channel 29 has reverted to being the Saorview Information channel. Channel 30 no longer on the EPG.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This article from Clean Feed has implied that there have been video encoder changes taking place recently on Saorview. It says the changes add 4.8mbps of capacity to the platform.

This move does not degrade picture quality for the other channels.

However; the changes in additional capacity equates to 3 SD channels or 1 HD channel on Saorview. I would take a huge guess here that this will make way for the eventual launch of Culá 4, Sky Arts & Pick onto the Saorview platform in the near future.

Am I right to say this or do people here say otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So still no prospect of VM channels going HD then? It's a joke watching sport in legovision.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭NorthDown2

Has the change in encoders degraded the picture on Sky News again? Around the weekend (I think Sunday / Monday) the picture became noticeably pixellated again - it's happened a couple of times but in the past it's taken quite a few weeks to resolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I think it might have messed up something with one of the older TVs I have. In the last few weeks, RTE One and Sky News now have very noticeable motion judder without any change in signal strength or quality. I noticed it first on RTE One during the Eurovision (which resulted in me switching to BBC instead) but the ticker on Sky News makes it very obvious. The other channels seem to be fine. I have a newer TV in the bedroom which seems fine on all channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

A new encoder being put in place for statmuxing a DTT multiplex will not on its own create additional capacity - a change in the broadcast parameters would be required for that (with a corresponding reduction in effective coverage, you don't get "owt for nowt") - but that the modern encoder(s) are able to compress video more efficiently for a given codec, in this case MPEG4 Part 10, compared to older encoders for a given perception of picture quality. Also not only does that roughly 24.1 Mbit/s data rate contain video only, but also audio, EPG data, service tables etc. which other than for audio would be tricky if not impossible to compress any more than they already are (though they're small in the greater scheme of things).

Both the PSB and commercial multiplexes on Freeview in the UK have from time to time upgraded their multiplex encoders to allow them to fit in more services per multiplex, so it's not something that is groundbreakingly new. I'll make the assumption that with a rather recent sudden interest from a few broadcasters in having new services from them appear of the Saorview platform, 2RN have decided that with a good idea of how many such services are currently expressing an interest in appearing on Saorview, that it would be more cost effective for themselves - and possibly the service owners too - to upgrade the statistical multiplexing video encoders on one or both multiplexes rather than to add a third multiplex for Saorview, with its associated transmitters, installations and ongoing electrical running costs etc. with the proviso in that if there was to be an even greater interest that demanded a third multiplex being brought into service, then an old statmux encoder could be used for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

Any more news about tg4+1 and the irish kids channel coming on air on saorview

Post edited by Aidan McCarthy on

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭jonnreeks

Is Eir TV still available and is there a cost to get Saorview?

As far I know. Éir television is sill available and once off cost to get saorview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭jonnreeks

Too be honest, I don't watch much RTE except maybe for news now and then!

hi. Does that mean so saorview could have more tv channels from the UK let’s just say for example itv from uk and more Irish channels too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lgs 4

We did have ITV years back in the form of UTV Ireland. ITV can't broadcast in Southern Ireland because of program rights and advertising that's the official standing .As you may well know ITV can be watched on Satellite and terrestrial overspill in the north and the eastcoast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭butwhynot

Duplicate radio channels were added to Mux 2 yesterday

214 RTE Radio 1 Extra

215 RTE Pulse

218 RTE Gold

219 RTE Chill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

2XM is on there too now. I wonder why. Maybe moving the radio channels to make more room on Mux1, or testing to add new radio stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I thought at some point Today FM, Newstalk, Spin, Spirit radio and whatever else might join the platform, but that's now unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

3 religious radio stations would be a bit much, no?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Scan your television or set top box and you should get 2xm back on

RTE are only doing the fool, swapping, twisting and turning, instead of getting other broadcasters on board like what I've outlined above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Does the Cúla 4 TV channel along with the possibility of including Sky Arts and Pick need that much bandwidth to be broadcasting on Saorview? There must be another specific reason why 2rn are doing this for some of the the RTÉ Radio channels at the moment. I would have thought the recent video encoder changes that occurred recently on Saorview before the duplicated the RTÉ radio channels appeared would have had enough capacity to be on it.

• Advertisement

Hi, there the only reason why saorview is to make more room for the other channels in the funtre and thats the reason why they move The rte radio channels from MUX1 to MUX2 is to have more tv channels. In the funtre so lets just say sky artes but i dont know about pick tv but some news channels like BBC news and euronews and TG4 plus 1 and Cula 4 kids tv channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 formac25

Lets not rule out Virgin Media 5.

What about a good Adult Channel

We have enough of the Chase and whatever else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTÉ1+2 might bring RTÉ back from the brink 🤔

RTE Radio1, RTE2fm, Lyric fm and RnaG will probably remain in MUX1 and solely digital radio channels move to MUX2, I've no idea why.

I'm surprised RTE Jr radio hasn't moved to mux2, is it just balancing out equally between the 2 muxes.

Also too rollout virgin media news channel on saorview called virgin media news 24

• Registered Users Posts: 5 formac25

Virgin Media Test Card

They might as well take over the whole thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Just did an Automatic Retune (Three Rock) and it found 57 channels (only 28 are on the EPG, the rest are hidden)

1 'RTÉ One' (Mux2) HD

2 'RTÉ2' (Mux1) HD

3 'Virgin Media 1' (Mux1)

4 'TG4' (Mux1) HD

5 'Virgin Media 2' (Mux1)

6 'Virgin Media 3' (Mux2)

7 'Virgin Media 4' (Mux2)

8 'Challenge' (Mux2)

11 'RTÉ One +1' (Mux2)

12 'RTÉ2 +1' (Mux2)

17 'RTÉ Junior' (Mux2)

21 'RTÉ News' (Mux1)

22 'Tithe an Oireachtais' (Mux1)

23 'Sky News' (Mux2)

29 'Saorview Information' (Mux2)

30 'Saorview Information' (Mux2)

200 'RTÉ Radio 1' (Mux1)

201 'RTÉ Radio 1 Extra' (Mux2) - 214 (hidden - 'RTÉ Radio 1 Extra' (Mux1)

202 'RTÉ 2FM' (Mux1)

203 'RTÉ Lyric' (Mux1)

204 'RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta' (Mux1)

205 'RTÉ Pulse' (Mux2) - 215 (hidden - 'RTÉ Pulse.' (Mux1)

206 'RTÉ 2XM' (Mux2) - 216 (hidden - 'RTÉ 2XM.' (Mux1)

207 'RTÉ Junior' (Mux1)

208 'RTÉ Gold' (Mux2) - 218 (hidden - 'RTÉ Gold.' (Mux1)

209 'RTÉ Chill' (Mux2) - 219 (hidden - 'RTÉ Chill.' (Mux1)

210 'Radio Maria Ireland' (Mux2)

211 'UCB Ireland' (Mux2)

I presume 'RTÉ Junior' (Radio) will move to Mux2 in the coming days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭StreetLight

LCNs 14 and 18 now visible with slates for TG4+1 and Cúla4, starting on 8th September.

Here in Mulliganish its LANs 14 and 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Update, as @StreetLight stated above

14 'TG4 +1' (Mux2) Data only

18 'Cúla4' (Mux2)

Will Virgin Media 1 go HD any time soon I wonder? There seems to be more room in the multiplexes with all the hidden channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yes it is, after a retune its 18

• Advertisement

Scan your saorview set top box or television and you should have cula4 on channel 18 and TG4 plus 1 on channel 14

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

(edit) apologies, post was erroneous and don't know how to delete the post 🥺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

Curiously enough, a manual retune of both muxes yesterday didn't correct the LCNs, but today an auto retune did.

Hi. I just want to know. Will virgin media ireland will launched TG4+1 and RTE2+1

They'd want to launch Virgin Media 1 HD on saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I wouldn't hold my breath considering it is taking them so long to add RTÉ 2 +1

• Advertisement

They’d want to launch virgin media one plus one as well

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭doney84

Why waste bandwidth on +1 channels ? Implement catch-up via the players similar to Freeview, yes I know that would mean some agreement would be needed with Virgin Media to use their player. RTÉ player & TG4 shouldn't be a problem.

Imo the bandwidth taken up by these +1 channels would be better used giving us the main stations in HD. Again some agreement with Virgin Media would need to be sorted for that to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Infoanon

It does seem bizzare starting a +1 channel in this day and age, however ratings for +1 channels show they still have an audience.

VM HD is not going to happen anytime soon if ever imho

I agree. Saorview is just a shop window for their cable service at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Only just noticed Challenge has been added after having to do a retune and wondering Uh? Any rumours or real stations being added in the future?

• Advertisement
Advertisement