Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Oh would you ever shut up. What was cultured about Bloody Sunday or ballymurphy. I’m sick of you making the Brits out to be saints when it comes to Ireland. It’s fking nauseating. You’re not Irish and clearly don’t have a clue about the history. What was cultured about the Brits in Kenya in the 50s to the 1960s when they imprisoned 1m without trial. Burned people alive, stuck glass bottles in every orifice, tortured , killed on the spot etc. The head of the British in Kenya said they were acting like soviet Russia and nazi Germany and if they must sin they must sin quietly. Present day Britain isn’t on the same level as Russia obviously but I’m sick of you constantly making them out to be saints regarding Ireland . You wouldn’t like it people were making Russia out to be saints in Ukraine . Learn a bit of Irish and british history and stop talking absolute shite over and over. And British flags aren’t flying in 26 counties because Irish people fought for independence not because the British were sound and thought oh we will leave as you’re implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭rogber

I think the Donegal poster fairly well responded to your claim about cultured and civilised Brits. I'm far from anti British but their treatment of Ireland down the centuries has quite a lot of parallels to Russia's attempt to suppress and erase Ukrainian national identity. You might want to educate yourself about it.

However the point I wanted to make was different: the IRA and British government were sworn enemies that murdered each other frequently, but there were still always secret lines of communication.

In the same way, I have little doubt Russia and Ukraine, if only via their allies, are occasionally sounding each other out.

So it seems Ukraine thwarted an attempt to assassinate Zelensky that involved a Ukrainian traitor cooperating with the Russians (no direct link available, copied from the guardian):

Ukraine’s security service said on Monday it had detained an informer accused of helping Russia plot an attack on President Volodymyr Zelenskiy as he visited a flood-hit region, according to AFP.

The SBU security service said the detained woman was gathering intelligence to try to find out Zelenskiy’s itinerary before his visit to the southern Mykolaiv region.

It published a blurred image of the woman being detained by masked officers in a kitchen, as well as some phone messages and handwritten notes about military activity.

On Telegram, Zelenskiy said that the head of the SBU had updated him about the “fight against traitors”.

The SBU said that Ukraine was aware of the plot ahead of time and had put in additional security measures during Zelenskiy’s visit. It alleged the suspect was helping Russia prepare a “massive airstrike on the Mykolaiv region”.

She was allegedly seeking data on the location of electronic warfare systems and warehouses with ammunition.

The SBU said its officers kept monitoring the suspect to get more information on her Russian handlers and her assignments. Officers then caught the woman “red-handed” as she attempted to pass intelligence data to Russian secret services, the SBU said.

It said the woman lived in the small southern town of Ochakiv in the Mykolaiv region and formerly worked in a store at a military base there. She allegedly photographed locations and tried to get information from personal contacts in the area.

She may face a charge of unauthorised dissemination of information about the movements of weapons and troops. If convicted, she could serve up to 12 years in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Big problem when fighting a neighbour have many collaborators a dark enemy probably causing more harm to UAF operations we will ever know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

But why would she be 'frightened' and 'shocked' by Ukrainian deaths?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm inclined to cast a cool eye over the Russian losses stats as reported by Ukraine, it would be natural to overemphasise these a bit and underreport your own losses. But I would broadly accept them as being in that trajectory.

Whereas I would regard all reports from Russian sources on Ukr losses as unbridled propaganda full of untruths. Start even with the Russian ambassador in our own state, a completely untrustworthy liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

19th century Britain was as authoritarian and oppressive and paranoid an empire as ever stalked the earth. Look up the peterloo massacre perpetrated in vicious paranoia against their own people not to mention the countless atrocities they carried out in their colonies. Including the horrific genocide that they were able to conveniently dress up as a famine in this country. They only ‘softened’ a bit in the 20 th century due to the losses in World War One and the rising influence of America who put them back in their box. But the British empire was as evil and rapacious an empire as ever existed and would be to this day if they could still get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Feigned concern..." Oh those poor Ukrainians, how dreadful !!! "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

This bullshit argument gets trotted out so often, and can be so easily dismissed (as you’ve just done), you’d wonder what the point is? By this logic, (again, as you’ve mentioned), the Ukrainians could make a case for laying claim to a large part of Russia. I feel like I’m naively missing something here…

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

We don't know the context of the 'conversation'.

The tweet reporting this was deleted, which should tell you all that you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭junkyarddog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They were not called perfidious Albion for nothing, the world is not full of old sayings like the Arabic one about never be friends with the English, that way they can't betray you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

For goodness sake, this thread is about contemporary doings by Russia (invading Ukraine and coomiiting numerous war crimes). Whatever the faults of Britain in centuries past, these have little or no bearing on Russia to-day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

P.U.T.I.N

Although going through the footage of the explosion. Seems it could be grain dust exploding. But that wouldn't be difficult to purposely ignite.

One thing anyway Putin's government are getting circumstances in their favour for other's to look/beg for Russian grain.

It's getting to a stage now in global food supply with some elements treating food as a weapon that large stocks held in one place is maybe not such a good idea anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Despite GOP/MAGA efforts still strong bipartisan support in the US for Ukraine

Another day, another war crime: 8 dead in overnight rocket attack.

These b*stards just never stop.

I can only imagine the psychological damage done in Ukraine already, knowing that wherever you are in the country every day could be your last because of Russian state terror.

Sometimes really hard not to wish a few of those Moscow drones would smash into residential buildings just to give the population a little taste of what the government is doing in their name in Ukraine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

These things happen, not regularly, but they do happen, including in the cargo holds of grain ships. Never underestimate how flammable a cloud of combustible dust is, it only takes a small spark to set the whole thing off. Just Google "dust explosions".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

Apparently there were 2 attacks on the same area about 40 minutes apart. Classic example of the infamous "double tap" tactic used in Syria. The second hit is meant to take out the first responters.

There is nothing these sickos won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Looking through Russian telegram channels it's clear the Ukrainians are suffering very heavy losses for their small gains. I will add there's been no let in Russian losses being shown by Ukrainian sources.

But it's depressing seeing the losses going both ways. The Russian army proper seems to be operating from relative safety shielded by the mine fields and the thousands of zero line mobiks.

It's going to take a lot more and continued western support to break down this defence. I doubt Russia has any shortage of mines or mobiks to sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Have you assessed and can you advise on the veracity of these 'Russian telegram channels'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

About time Ukraine just gave up and let Russia win I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Russian manpower comes from its zombie like compliant society.

And it's ammo from fellow dictators with large stocks built up to protect their repressive regimes.

Both have more than the free press west can provide awful tyrants are more united than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭yagan

Having just checked the markets the basics like oil and wheat are still down 30-40% from a year ago.

Any talk of Putin having leverage in food supply is basically his own propaganda.

Depressing, not surprising, brainwashing in action:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And Ukrainian children abducted in Ukraine will be taught this in Russia.

They'll never be free in Russia.

You can see this conflict is about trying to get the Russian public to rebel. Looks like government supported apathy still holds with an iron fist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

You have to admire the engineering, look how far it travelled in a straight line after breaking loose!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement