Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What would they be paying for ? An hour of “riffin”?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Yeah that initial statement from Breda O'Keeffe really made him look bad, but some of the stuff she said after that initial statement started showing her up and then to finally end up pulling out of the next meeting and then to text that meeting she said she wouldn't attend. I think Collins may end up largely in the clear, people may not like that he has a good wage and a car allowance but he at least brought the Barter account under the control of his office. However it will be interesting to see how it plays out for him. I wondered more about Adrian Lynch role in all of this over Richard Collins'.

Also it really isn't a nothing burger for RTÉ. When you consider that the DG was suspended and then resigned, the first time in the history of the organization. Rory Coveney resigned from his role as did Geraldine O'Leary. This people wouldn't have resigned if it was a nothing burger. And it could be likely that the board of RTÉ will all have to resign, I am surprise they haven't be asked to hand in their resignations. Of them only Suin Ni R can say that she's only just arrived, but had Moya Doherty been still in her position (which she would still be in if she'd take the full term in the role) she would have also resigned.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Should have resigned, but I don’t think she would have. She oozed “this is so beneath me” when she was before the Committees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I find myself paying more attention to RTE radio advertising since the recent Oireachtas hearings. Apart from comedians, there'd be authors, arts festivals, hearing aids, septic tanks, the odd music act & festival, public service announcements. What's the going rate I wonder for a 15 second radio advert?

TV advertising would have more obviously commercial character, though if most households are anything like here, they either don't watch RTE TV much and if they do, inclined to mute the ads or fast forward them if recorded.

Presumably those investing money into RTE for commercial reasons realise this and push for other ways to get their products mentioned, promoted or referenced in programming. Advertorial content, if so how clear is this to the public viewer or listener?

Sponsoring teams sports gear that will be shown on RTE is good bang for your buck for example. Do RTE get anything from this by way of covering the matches where the gear will be on prominent display.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Baz was an actor, who I remember seeing on shows like The Works (with John Kelly), where he'd be acting out scenes with his co-actors.

But he was also in a show about plastic surgery in Ireland, which followed him getting his ears pinned back. (He got a section of cartilage removed from both ears). He was still an actor then, talking about how his ears often cost him acting gigs/ modelling gigs.

Then not long after that, he was on 'How low can you go'. He's essentially an actor turned TV presenter.

When he got busted for drink driving, and crashing his car, he went to the UK and managed to score a hit with '50 ways to kill your mammy', and was able to leverage that for gigs at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I hesitate to quote the pic yet again, but it has just come to mind, that Himself awoke in his mews house that morning, went through the usual routine and ablutions like the rest of us, then, with all his faculties presumably intact costumed himself up as JFK, with more or less period correct attire and green tie (as depicted in the publication by a very capable artist) and then headed into town (most likely not by DART, but certainly by prior arrangement) to reconstruct a painted image that he no doubt had a heavy hand in commissioning in the first place (as evidenced by the back cover I posted earlier).

The man has the emotional maturity of a babbling infant, and is about as relevant as THAT to the national conversation.

At this stage I just want him to go away.

The PAC and Media committee must have been like Dallas for him.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just getting some practise in for the Aras - add in the ego driver of having his image on multiple pages in the book, any other authors do that?

A 40 page book aimed at 5 to 12 year olds.

Regards...jmcc

The enquiry into who killed Ryan Tubridy's career? :) And RTE still won't release the papers in 2073.

Regards...jmcc

I don't have a copy of this illustrious tome, but there's a lot of it about, courtesy of a google image search (and Amazon reviews).

Tubridy is featured in most of the artwork. Words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

In fairness to NKM, that link up to Conan O'Brien makes a lot of sense. Conan is the lowest tier of talk show hosts in the US, responsible for almost sinking a network's primetime hour due to ridiculous demands made solely from his own overblown ego and an over-enthusiastic hardnosed agent, who created a myth that he was some mythical herald of wonder with a fanbase that would follow him to the ends of the earth, who failed to deliver and when he was found out as the smarmy, charmless, unnatural, plastic paddy that he is, he was banished to nowhereland where the truth of his "you'll have to give me what I want or you'll find out what everyone else thinks I'm worth!" screeches were met with just that - a discovery he was worth precisely nothing to anyone.

Tubs would fit right into that "media empire". The Toyman can sit in with Team Coco and have a regular old circle jerk to themselves, with absolutely **** nobody listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

"He was still an actor then, talking about how his ears often cost him acting gigs/ modelling gigs."

That sounds like the way my feet stopped me from becoming a professional footballer.

Rumour has it that 9 different promises of winning over the public opinion of RTÉ and possibly Tubs back into their warm loving arms [the public] have been put to RTÉ by both individuals and agencies. Some of the offers have not mentioned a cost per, but others have, some citing their excellent government work with the current lot. Nine. That is a lot. It must be asked where they think the money is going to come from.

• Advertisement

The problem for Tubridy, as he pointed out, is that he really doesn't have anything else other than his radio work. The payments scandal has potentially destroyed his brand. He might try writing but that takes time and research. Publishing is an even tougher business and every book, even with a celebrity author, is a gamble and needs promotion. He's only written four books and two of those were for children. The others were written about ten or so years ago. Without an RTE show, he'd be just another writer looking for shelfspace.

TV programmes are an option but they need to be pitched and to have production teams. With all the "independent" production companies trying to get a deal with RTE, he would have a lot of better funded competition unless one of them uses him for a programme. He never really had a full-time job outside of RTE.

It is almost as if RTE never learned anything from the Gerry Ryan situation. Gerry Ryan was 2FM for many people and when he died, there was nobody to replace him or the amount of promotion that RTE (2FM) had put into his brand. Tubridy was given his show and then lost 40% of its audience.

https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/tubridy-loses-87000-listeners-28838

Gerry Ryan (a good shock jock) was obviously a hard act to follow but Tubridy (wall to wall beige) was the wrong choice of replacement. Perhaps RTE might decide to exile him to LyricFM and give him a show where he can play Lounge Music from the Ratpack era. Bringing him back to Radio 1 would be wrong and could probably result in industrial action and strikes. Did Bakhurst realise what he was getting into when he took the job?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

There was an element of disillusionment too, with Gerry Ryan's audience I mean. When the autopsy results came out, and it was revealed cocaine was the cause of his death.. there was a lot of public anger over that. Ryan died not long after Katy French, both dying from cocaine abuse. In the years following, others such as Eamon Dunphy and Brendan O'Connor admitting to drug use. So there is still a 'suspicion' over RTE and 'Who else?' (Similar to the pay scandal now, in many respects). That more than likely bled into the audience, especially Tubridy doing a 'leave Gerry alone' speech. The more revelations that came out, probably the angrier the audience got. Not excusing Tubridy losing the audience, mind you. Just one didn't help the other.

At least Garreth O'Callaghan and the late Marian Finucane were one of the few folks to speak out and be angry about G.Ryan's drug use. Especially how he had an 'anti-drug' stance on his show.

I suppose the major difference between Gerry Ryan's death and the current scandal, is that people didn't abandon their TV licenses in droves like nowadays.

Oh it’s entirely deliberate, the clothing is a match for example. It takes either an enormous ego or a complete lack of self-awareness - or both - to think replicating the cover art in a staged photo like that would be a good choice. Does anyone tell him “no”?

I wasn’t aware there were other pics/illustrations of him in the book. It really screams “look at me”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭prunudo

I honestly don't see why RTE need RT anymore. He presents a one hour filler show between a flag ship breakfast news show and a popular morning current affairs show. Surely they can get better value for money with someone else who will cause them less issues going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

It’s a shame that Senator Ted Cruz wasn’t co-opted onto the PAC for this investigation. Ryan and Noel would have shat themselves.

Ryan would have hoped for another Ted; Ted Kennedy, and Ryan could have told him how much he loves the great state of Massachusetts, admired his brothers…..and avoided talking about Chappaquiddick.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Indeed, but I wanted him to face Ted Cruz..... 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Course they can, but that’s not the RTE way of doing things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I wonder what the rest of the "talent" think of Ryan and his salary shenanigans. Scare Byrne for example, will she have Ryan on to tell his side of the story when his contract is ended? Or will she think good riddance.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement