Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The road is designed to the relevant standard design for this road type so whatever people have claimed in irrelevant. They aren't going to deviate from standard design, the reason we have standards for each road type is to ensure consistency across the network and avoid constant changes and making it up as you go.

And nobody has recently "copped" anything, there were years of design and planning before construction started. The land for the junctions was bought years ago based on these junction layouts, they can't just add junctions or slip lanes now. You can argue that the junction strategy could have been better but a process was followed to arrive at the current strategy and they have assessments to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

First off, Micheal Creed's extended family have no more rights than any other citizen of this country. This isn't the eighties anymore, and Creed knows well that any whiff of pulling strokes for family will cost him dearly at election time.. it's not like anyone in that constituency strolled into office last time.

Second, this is not Macroom town. It might be inside the boundary, but it's a really still an approach road to the town. There's plenty of space here for a junction improvement, and it doesn't have to be a roundabout either.

You're on a hiding to nothing with this junction request. If I were you I'd focus my energy on ideas that would have a wider benefit. That way, you bring more people in with you, because right now, this whole thing comes across as a hundred people in a village demanding direct access to the bypass just because they're too sh_t at driving to use either of the two existing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ClmAlfie

KrisW1001

It's obviously you don't know the area well.

While it would be a good idea to put in the junction, and it would be cheaper, it won't work

See pic

As you can see, the road will be going through a garden and the shed will have to be knock down. Do you think the owner will allow that to happen?

You seems to think it just a few hundred from the village of kilnamartyra, it's not. I said it before it's beyond kilnamartyra, it's Reneriee, it's the west of Macroom. They are a good few businesses using trucks and big lorries with trailers

So maybe you should come to Macroom and drive a lorry with a trailer on the road from Reneriee etc to Macroom to try to get on the bypass, then maybe you will understand.

Carrigaphooka roundabout

This is the roundabout now. Yellow road is the bypass. The yellow roundabout is the temporary one and will be removed next week. The white roundabout is permanent and for going to Macroom. Blue line is the old N22 road

This is what it will look like once the temporary roundabout is gone. The green will be joined onto the yellow and it's the bypass. Red line is for Macroom. Blue line is the old N22 road. It would have made sense to put the junctions where the purple marking are or near it and It wouldn't have cost that much. Not as much as the temporary roundabout which cost 1.2 million and will cost more to remove it.

Maybe in a few years time after planning etc, it might be done

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The TD who live in the affected catchment area is Andrias Moynihan. Michael Creed isn't running in the next GE.

• Advertisement

I do know the area, actually, and what you drew is not what I drew - I was a lot more careful. But it was less than 10 minutes thought... someone actually doing this stuff for a living would come up with a better option. The point still stands.. It's easy to fix the turn for HGVs... it just needs to be done.

I never once said the current setup is good for HGVs...I've been saying the opposite for a long time. But the fix is simple, and the fix is not a new junction where almost nobody will use it.

Where did I get the hundred? At most a thousand people live in the area where that new junction would be any use (go argue with the Census if you disagree). but that thousand is everyone: adults and children. Say 750 adults of driving age (that's high, but I'm trying to be fair), now of those, how many have no regular business in Cork or points east of Macroom.?Most of them. So "a hundred" is a good estimate of the number of people who would actually use this junction regularly.

When this road was planned, they did traffic counts on all the possible approaches, to decide where juctions would make sense. I'm sure you could get that information (most of it is public), but it's pretty obvious that very few vehicles join or leave N22 near here, and the traffic counts will back that up.

Water John

Incorrect, though he's in the catchment area, he doesn't live in the area. He lives west of Ballyvourney

Michael Creed and alot of his relatives lives in the catchment area

KrisW1001

It doesn't matter what we drew. I'm basically saying its not going to work as the road will be going through a garden with shed/garage, which will have to be knock down. Owner won't allow it

Go on the satellite on Google maps, you'll have a better picture

As for the 1000, I'm sure if you did the census and check out all the wider areas I've mentioned, you will find it's alot more than 1000.

Even it was just a hundred driving, most of them especially lorries will go through the town to go to Cork rather than turn left at Millstreet Cross

So if you know all the areas, you would know what businesses are in the area I've mentioned that are affected by it

And there's no traffic count for the areas I've mentioned

Go check it out yourself

Post edited by ClmAlfie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Irish Examiner report on yesterday’s protest

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-41198839.html

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

So there was no access proposed in 2009, 14 years later it dawned on people that this was the case. Sorry now but it’s a bit late to be protesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Prospectors

And the local politician saying he wasn't aware of the lack of a junction at that location in the plans.

Not surprised, as he didn't know how many lanes the bypass would have even after they started building it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ADKELMAC

Two slip roads at Carrigaphooca is all that is required. No new roads or link roads

Access to a bypass which includes junctions either side of an urban centre/town is commonplace throughout the country. Some towns have an access junction at a midpoint in to the town also, in this case that’s Millstreet junction

Look at Midleton, Youghal, Ballincollig, Tralee, Castleisland, Cashel, Ennis, Nenagh etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That argument might stand up if looking for another junction between the existing junctions, but doesn't for another junction which wouldn't serve the town in question (which is already adequately served by the existing junctions), only a small dispersed population well outside the town.

And saying whatever is "all that is required" doesn't get away from the fact that those works will still require design, planning approval, land purchase, funding approval, tendering, etc. You can keep adding to the list of things not required if you wish but that doesn't reduce the list of things which are required.

“design, planning approval, land purchase, funding approval, tendering, etc”

l think everyone appreciates that all of the items listed above are necessary. But each and everyone of them is not insurmountable. The regret is that the access at Carrigaphooca was not in place in the design of the project, some will know why that is case but many of us will never find out.

”all that is required” for now is that there is access provided at Carrigaphooca so that Macroom town is properly bypassed and motorists whoever they may be can benefit from it.

This project presents more questions than answers.

1. Why the limited access west of Ballyvourney at Slievereagh? Especially as there are slips but only one way single lanes. How much would it have taken to build slip roads allowing access/exit from any direction.
    2. Why no access at Carrigaphooca? Just a partial junction…..etc etc.
    3. Why did the project stop at Coolcower? Leaving us with bad stretch of road between Coolcower and the 4 mile bridge. Now the worst section of road between Cork & Killarney. Unlikely to be upgraded any time soon, say 10 years.
    Post edited by ADKELMAC on

Only three questions, and there’s no mystery behind any of them, really:

1. That's the western tie-in - there'd be no junction at all if there wasn't a couple of local roads off N22 at this point. The junction is to service those roads, not Baile Bhuirne, but you get Baile Bhuirne for free heading east.
    2. This has been done to death by now: the tiny catchment makes it a waste of money.
    3. It has to stop somewhere, and Coolcower was the terminus of the now suspended Macroom-Ovens scheme. Remember that this N22 Macroom-Baile Bhuirne project has been knocking around for fourteen years - when it was being defined, the other scheme was still active. Macroom-Ovens did follow the existing N22 east of here, but if it gets re-activated, there’s no guarantee that it will stay with that routing..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Mallow - Ovens was held up because of the Save The Lee Valley campaigners. Taking the Macroom - Ballyvourney scheme terminus further to the east, removing the crap section of roads would have irked them and set them going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

So we’re getting slip roads at Slievereagh because there’s a few local roads but no slip roads at Carrigaphooca where there are local roads including the N22 old route. So did the slip roads for Carrigaphooca get moved to Slievereagh? Or we just got them for free as you say. Decent of the contractors & council Any chance they’d do them for free at Carrigaphooca

It would save us all a few million

Fair enough about Coolcower junction but Ovens-Coolcower won’t be built in my lifetime, an I’ve a bit to hopefully. The road from Coolcower to 4 Mile bridge is still poor by comparison to the remainder of the N22.

For historical interest, here’s a map showing the very beginning of this project. These options from 2001, when the N22 was planned as one big project:

The western section as built seems to follow the original Yellow option (but it’s only barely inside that corridor in places). The Eastern is different at its eastern tie-in, but mostly follows Yellow too.

A map with contour lines, like this one, is very useful in understanding why things are the way they are in this part of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I do! Mallow to Ovens would be an interesting proposal alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

It is quite an extraordinary admission from a TD representing the local area that he didn't realise there wouldn't be a junction at Carrigaphooca. He's essentially saying that he wasn't doing his job. The junctions to be provided by the scheme were set out clear as a bell in the final planning documentation submitted, and they've been available on the project website for the last few years. The map on the front page of the website clearly shows the location of the four junctions:

And even if that somehow wasn't clear enough, the introductory text says in plain English:

"The junctions on the project will be at Slievereagh at the western end, at Toonlane east of Baile Mhic Íre, at Gurteenroe, Millstreet Road and at Coolcour at the eastern side of Macroom."

What seems clear from all the ruckus in the last couple of weeks is that neither the concerned local people nor their TD bothered to check 4-5 years ago what was about to be built on their doorsteps. Maybe the anger is self-directed. That would be understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

Depends what you think a TD's job is. For most TDs in Ireland it's getting planning permissions and medical cards and so on.

TDs don't have time to do what most of us think they should be doing because they spend all their time doing petty clientelist bullshít. He would only have become aware if one of his constituents made him aware and obviously they didn't because they never checked. Now they're annoyed that no-one told them they never checked and, as you say, are directing that anger elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

It will all blow over, the road will be back open by the end of the week without the roundabout.

People will use the bypass if it suits them and not use it if it doesn't suit. Life will go on.

The same TD's and Councillors will no doubt get re-elected regardless.

Some more history:

This scheme was sent to ABP in 2009, and planning was granted (with conditions) in 2011. If you want to read the details, ABP’s archive is the place to go: An Bord Pleanála (pleanala.ie).

During the oral hearings (see the Inspector’s Report), three submissions requested that a junction be added at Carrigaphuca (the junction was not part of the design). The final report did not recommend such a junction.

So, people who asked for their own junction 13 years ago and were told they couldn’t have one are now pretending to be surprised that this junction wasn’t built for them.

Interestingly, the Planning Inspector’s Report for this scheme recommended that planning should not be granted, as he did not find a strong justification to build at 2+2 road type on the western half of the scheme, but the Board of ABP overruled this and granted permission for a 2+2 type all along. I can actually see the Inspector’s point here: I’ve never seen much traffic on the wide single-carriageway road just west of here, but I also understand why ABP overruled that opinion: the cost difference would not have been much, and the horrible terrain would have made any future upgrade prohibitively expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

Very soon all the whinging and moaning about this will be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

How long is the new section opening?

EDIT: it’s approximately 8 km long. 9km has opened already, and the remaining section is about 5 km.

Post edited by KrisW1001 on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Anyone chance a visit to Macroom these days to see how traffic is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 peter.teahan

Can never understand why the mid section of the new road criss-crosses the old road and runs so near to some farm houses. Would have been ‘nicer’ and shorter to have kept the mid section north and away from the old road but I was told the terrain was too difficult to work on which I don't really buy as the big dig section was quite difficult and they managed that. I've love to know the real planning arguments they had with the land owners in that section and to hear from the winners and losers.

Pedantic OCD rant over and will gladly take the new road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The big dig was through rock. That's fairly easy to blast through and remove. What were the ground conditions like on the rejected route? Is it prone to flooding? Is there boggy ground? (Stabilising bog is way more difficult than rock blasting) Were there more homes affected that with the chose route? There are loads of reasons that a straight line on a 2D map isn't chosen.

I'm sure if you go back through the thread or go to the project website, the route selection report will be available to read.

Advertisement