Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Joe actually lives in Dollymount (of de whitest sands in de wurild and dat), not Clontarf - it's "estate agent speak" to suggest he lives in Clontarf. His abode is on the seafront however so he may have been affected by the floods - I genuinely hope not, wouldn't wish that on anyone.

One of my childhood homes (we moved a few times) in Sandymount was flooded once and the smell was awful - I can still recall it to this day. I remember my parents had to replace all of the carpets, internal walls knocked and re-plastered etc.

• I considered moving to Sandymount, but knew about the area below highest tides sea level behind the sea front are prone to flooding. I think broader Clontarf area is the same, some of the roads dip below the waterline e of worst floods. I don’t think Joe is affected, certainly not on this occasion.

• My mother’s sister was born with a caul, loved the sea and always got out of tricky water situations 😁

• I queried Googull re area of Clontarf & Dollyer. Returns dat Dollyer is a sub-district in Clontarf East.

So Lord Clontarf can actually claim to reside in the area of his title.

😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If that’s correct, I apologise.

That said I do recall a thread regular posting evidence that his residence is in Dollymount…..stewards inquiry please.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

It would be Dollymount for all intents and purposes.

Technically Clontarf as a suburb, although his address is the Clontarf Rd. A lengthy enough thoroughfare in itself.

He could lay claim to either, but Dollymount is more accurate.

He can park the jag on Dollymount Ave. and head in the back gate. That’s close enough.

• As a mathematical expression & proof:

Theorem: the Proof that Joe Duffy can be regarded as Lord Clontarf:-

——

Given that Joe Duffy is the most influential figure who resides in Dollymount, and is entitled to bear the title Lord Dollymount, prove that he is also entitled to bear the name Lord Clontarf

D ∈ C |D = Dollymount, & C = Clontarf

Therefore Title:Lord Dollymount ∈ Title:Lord Clontarf

——————-

Cawlurs are invited to disprove this theorem.

• Joe’s new documentary to be screened on 11th, Joe will no doubt be out for another week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Woke RTE just can't help themselves. The Nine O'Clock News was heavily pushing the women's All-Ireland camogie finals, live interviews with the winning Cork team at a hotel, ending with a montage of their win.

No mention of the fact Croke Park wasn't just half empty, it was far less than that. It was 30,191, a $h1+ number you might be thinking and you're right, but it is in fact a new record high. 3 women's finals on and that's all they could get to attend. Despite tickets, like the women's world cup being significantly cheaper than the men's equivalent. Tickets for today's games were:

Adult: €30 

Student/OAP: €15 

Juveniles (U16): €5

The men's All-Ireland Gaelic football final was a sellout and it was for just one match. Prices for the men's finals were:

Stand tickets are pitched at €90, while entry to the standing area of Hill 16 is €45. There is no reduction in price for OAPs/Students/Children.

I don't know if today's finals were run at a loss, but they have to be seen to do the right thing.

Capacity of Croke Park is 82,300 for anyone who doesn't know.

Moderator: sligeach was warned for this.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

That says more about sexism in sport does it not?

No, it's not sexism to point out facts. There is nothing whatsoever stopping people attending these events. They choose not to though. 3 All-Ireland finals in one day, at a 1/3 of the price of the men's(significantly less for children which made up a large part of the attendance), 1/3 the number matches of the men's final and 1/3 of the stadium is filled.

I take issue with how RTE are running with their own agenda and ramming this down our throats, regardless of public interest, or lack thereof. They didn't mention the attendance or the disparity in pricing. Journalism has gone to pot these days.

If the level of coverage given by RTE was equal to that given to the (male) All Irelands I have no issue with that.

If they went over and above (which seems unlikely, given the discourse over some weeks around and leading up to the male hurling and football finals), that's a whole other matter.

Don't confuse often overdone and patronising coverage by RTE, of any variety of news topics (and I can name very recent examples, but I won't as it would be in poor taste), with promoting and championing a group of girls who've gone out and done well, have not come home in mediocrity, engaged in public spats with their manager, or sang sectarian songs in the dressing room.

• Even back when my mother was around (d. 2009) she used to be giving out about RTE’s hyper-coverage of certain figures, she’d oft say “are we ever going to hear the end of it?” So the inclination for RTE to generally hype things are give endless coverage, particularly to an individual figure, has been going back a long time, It’s not a recent thing, but coverage of figures has been ever slightly increasing. Can’t figure out when the trend started, maybe the 1990s.

Then again the passing of certain figures has been relatively ignored. I’ve been surprised when Joe barely mentioned the passing someone notable on Liveline, let alone devote part of a show. And when Gaybo passed, I was most surprised that only the first segment of the following Late Late Show was dedicated to his memory, the rest with various mediocre filler. There would have been more than enough material for an entire show, and surely a lot of this, such as clips and invitations, would have been prepped already for the event, as the man was in his last years and months.

Re Liveline, surely only a segment, or at least no more than half of any show should be dedicated to the memory of people, with very rare exceptions.

Far too many shows are absorbed by single topics of limited interest to the broader public, and take away from the fundamental purpose of the show for the public to air their concerns about things that stand to affect a significant number of others. Others go over the top in going on for weeks whilst being of limited potential help to people, the one example I can think of being Versatis, a topical local anaesthetic patch specific to dermal nerve pain, that for weeks callers claimed to remedy pain that is internally invoked, ie the placebo effect and an expensive one at that.

During the Versatis episode, produced Aonghus McAnally got personally involved by joining a soon to be abandoned public group who called themselves “Patch us up”. Although he was a hard working and rather tense producer, saw him in action, this was an unprofessional move for a prominent RTE staff member to get personally involved in an outside lobby group, however good his intentions might have been. It demonstrated the bias that happens in the team.

• A shout out to Bord Gais Netwurks Emergency Service, phoned them to report a very peculiar gas-like smell on my bathroom, which is normally very fragrant with diffusers & lack of pungent colonic evacuations so to speak. I had been marinating a Thai dish, thought my smelling buds had turned sick or something, went down to underground car park to put rubbish in the collective bins, then caught the smell strongly.

Remembering tragedies that happened, I thought to phone Bord Gais Networks Emergency line. A Sherlock Holmes guy arrived out with a device like my old Action Man Geiger counter, a box like instrument with prong detecting gas leaks. He went through my place re all sources of gas, then went to car park where I also detected it.

Noted the pungent aroma coming from drains, said that’s what emanated in your bathroom, he inspected all vehicles in the car park area, noted a motorcycle being refurbished and said that was the most likely culprit, the person disposing of old fuels/oils in drain.

he did make an inspection throughout my section of the block just to ensure there was no likelihood of a leakage, and declared our apartments to be safer than most because of balcony placement of boilers.

I must say Bord guys are on the ball.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

It's the demand for parity in women's games when the audience and revenue generated doesn't support it that I take issue with.

Camogie decider draws peak TV audience of 232,000

Both the men's hurling and football finals(both the only match on the day in Croke Park) had over a million views each, x4/x5 times the audience. I'd love to know how much profit if any the GAA made on Sunday from the 3 finals with a stadium 2/3rds empty and ticket prices far cheaper. And I'm sure there are people within the GAA that think they should be played at a smaller venue, but suggest that and they'd get lynched with all sorts of accusations and calls for resignations.

I'd like to know too how much companies paid to advertise during the camogie finals on TV and radio. Was it much cheaper to reflect the far smaller audience compared to the men's hurling and football finals? It should have been.

Moderator: sligeach was warned for this.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• JOE!

A life saver died what he loved doing, the fillum a very difficult watch: there should have been warnings

Nuts on a plane: an allergic passenger had to buy all the packets of nuts in the plane so they wouldn’t be opened by other passengers €200 worth.

Senior Money - a pensioner owes more than the house is worth

• Advertisement

• @sligeach

RTE’ rate card, but of course as ButtersSuki says, that doesn’t tell the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Joe back

"Eh, eh, em, (incoherent mumbling) em, peanut allergy so to speak..."

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 82,649 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Today, Joe back...

• The Deepest Breath on Netflix, some people said it was a difficult watch, there should have been a warning before it...yes perhaps one before Ghostbusters too, ffs, grow up ta jaysus. I've not seen it, was on my list but Captain Bellend has now spoiled it.
    • Nut alergies on a plane so to speak, caller asked airline were they going to sell peanuts on their flight, airline sez yes, caller takes out €200 and buys every single packet...more money than problems.
    • Liberating the value of your house with Senior Money, a simpleton caller didn't read the small print...likely her offspring got pissed off when the flow of magical money out of the skoy stopped to them and they realised the source was a hold on the house and they wouldn't get 2 bob and 6 when the house was sold upon the callers death.

• There’s great potential in today’s show, but we know he’ll go into a pet tangent on some historic deaths from 1800

• Anyone finding the autoscroll gone into overdrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

He was well cranky potential

• Registered Users Posts: 82,649 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He sounded like someone had parked a beat-up Ford Transit in his parking space this morning 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Tow

I was on a flight by Joe's enemy with 'de same Trinners education' during da week. We got da warning dat a passenger had de nut affliction we were not to be eating de nuts on de flight. Obviously de answer is to fly Joe's least favourite airline and not de posh wans with de 🥜s, so to speak.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

• There was a skit done on Come Fly With Me about flight attendants deliberately killing a passenger by opening all the peanuts and dropping them over him.

Advertisement